Vivah ka Mandap- Why it is special

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Today there was discussion on devlok on Vivah Mandap. So I thought of discussing this aspect. Why mandap is important. I am not sure about other communities. But in my community there is a pradha called Mandap Pooja by the bride on the day of the wedding. 
Since I am a questioner by nature when my bua's marriage was happening I asked the priest why this is done. 
I was a high school kid then and the priest knew me since I was quite active in all temple activities and all. So he told that on the day of marriage the birde and groom is treated as Vishnu and Lakshmi. And the mandap is treated as symbolic Vaikunta or the abode of Vishnu- Lakshmi. It is the symbolic representation of the house or home the couple are going to set up. 
So the bride in the pooja is invoking all Gods to the mandap. By praying in each direction, she is requesting all the nature's forces in all directions to bless her new home. Also all the auspicious powers are invoked used mantras and the sumanglis from the bride's family bless the girl in the mandap and the eldest lady of the bride's family hands her the marriage saree in the mandap. It is said that by this ritual the bride is taking the blessings of all the elder's from her family for her new life. 

So I feel in the show also that may be the reason stress on Mandap was put. Because in our community there are certain specifications for the mandap and it has to be like that. Mandap is the first representation of the girl's new abode. A woman is coming as Lakshmi to the house, bringing the change with her. So the place where it all starts has to be auspicious so that the change she brings is auspicious to her as well as the family. 

Today there are destination weddings, weddings where there is no formal mandap just a stage is set. But our ancient ritual had a meaning for having the mandap. To give the couple the best start in their life by its auspicious construction as per the laws of physics and maths. 

So understand the importance of mandap for the wedding ceremony and then decide whether you need it for not.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Yes I agree
We too have Mandap Poojan to purify the mandap for the wedding to be held
It is important as you said

And I would like to add that Mandaps assume special importance as they too are the saakshi of the vivaah along with agni dev. They too witness the sacred ties that are taken by the bride and groom...

A nice explanation!
jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
In south we also have a small ceremony in the house itself.
Early morning a day prio to  the wedding the muhurtha kaal  is placed in front of the bride's and the groom's house.
Before sunrise the bride along with her parents place a bamboo stick on which kumkum and haldi paste is applied. Flowers are  also tied around the the stick.
The priest chants shlokas and the bride places it in the small hole dug up . Around this the suspicious mango leaves and banana tree is also erected forming a small pandal. 
mandy001 thumbnail
I was wondering. Bcz in my culture we dnt have any special pooja for mandap.
Decoraters decorates mandap, that's it.

Actually punjabis hv vry less ritual on weddings, so no pratha of mandap also 
lifeiscrazy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Nice post thanks for highlighting the significance of kalyana mandapam👏👏

Di marriage mandapam really has a great significance and it is so graceful if it is decorated in simple traditional way  using kalashas (pots filed with water), garlands of mango leaves, coconuts, banana leaves, Marigold flowers and Homa Gundam(Havan Kund) built with bricks and is coated with cow dung and a beautiful simple Rangoli over it😳😳😳
The more simple it is the more graceful it looks but unfortunately present generation unnecessarily spend lot of amount in decorating the Mandap
But we don't find coconut leaves or mango leaves any where😡
Modern Mandaps use fabrics, lights, crystals, flowers, Wrought Iron unique shapes and other materials, which include the four pillars and havan kund is now completely modernized by design.😕 What's the use if we go on modifying our traditional customs
Recently in my cousins marriage 3 lakh rupees was spent just to decorate the mandap with imported flowers😡 ans extra one lack for crystals and moti decoration😡
lifeiscrazy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: jayvenk

In south we also have a small ceremony in the house itself.
Early morning a day prio to  the wedding the muhurtha kaal  is placed in front of the bride's and the groom's house.
Before sunrise the bride along with her parents place a bamboo stick on which kumkum and haldi paste is applied. Flowers are  also tied around the the stick.
The priest chants shlokas and the bride places it in the small hole dug up . Around this the suspicious mango leaves and banana tree is also erected forming a small pandal. 

di i have seen it and like this ritual so much😃
every marriage ritual has its own importance thanks of sharing it😳
_shadesnature_ thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Thank you everyone for enlightenment of this topic for me 
I know mandap is very important for marriage as per Hindu religion but don't what its actually signifies 
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@manasa the kalash, the mango leaves all represents auspiciousness by tradition and the traditional diyas we call Nilavilakku in Kerala are a real treat to eyes. And I have always felt jasmine, roses and marigold in the right mix give more grace to the mandap than imported flowers. 
@Jayashree one query. Do you know the symbolism of this coconut giving to the groom by the bride's father. My community also has a similar custom, only difference is that on wedding day when the barat is received the groom will have a decorated coconut in his hand so does the bride's father and they exchange the coconut. 
@mnp happy to know that there is mandap pooja in other communities also
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
tuna_star thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thank you shruti di for making this post and to let us know the importance of this customs... These days we youngstars know nothing of customs because we are not told... I have seen in marriages that the 7 vows during saat phera are never explained to the couple instead they are just said so fast none of then actually understand...
jayvenk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Don't know the significance. 
A coconut is a purna phala and so is almost mandatory for any auspicious beginnings. 
There is small ceremony of the groom pointing rewards the arundhati star to the bride after taking the saptapadi.

Edited by jayvenk - 8 years ago