Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
@Fatema knowing the symbolisms of Sanathana Dharma can help others appreciate it much than give religious color to it. Because most of the practices are not religious, it is more connected to nature and any religion can use it based on their beliefs.

@Mili let me tell you one thing. Culture, Tradition is propagated through women. Why we South Indians knew much more is that South India compared to North India is less patririachial. Most of the anti woman practices are less in South compared to North. Not that it is not there. But less. Yes a family here will make a sad face when a daughter is born, but then many wont go to the extend of doing a female feticide. Also the education of women, social status of women is much better in South than in North. Hence the culture, tradition has been kept alive as there are women in the family. In North female feticide in the 80s have reduced female population, add to that lack of education, poor social status of women how will the generation get interested in anything related to our culture. Woman is knowledge, and when she is denied knowledge, when she is denied the right to be born how will the culture and tradition thrive. It simply will not.
LakshMila thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@shruthiravi i completely agree with you.I have seen cases here as well and yup there is a sense of rigidity for women!But i would also like to add that woman here especially when they are adversely effected from these traditions,arent interested anymore.And the other thing is,people,mostly from sub-urban areas,see these rituals as mere formalities.I like South India because I have seen them more proud of there culture,that also with an intellectual perceptive.North India,as compared,use the name of their religion,but being irrational.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Yes Mili. Sometime back there was some protest by women in South by breaking their mangalsutra. Telling that it was a symbol of slavery. The fact is it is not. It is actually a symbol of trust the groom places on the bride if you understand the sloka chanted during Mangalsutra tying ceremony.

It is return to the trust that is placed on her, the woman promises to protect a man's life to the best of her ability. If there is no trust and respect from man's side there is no need for the woman to keep the promise. Because people don't understand, it is used for manipulation.
Nonie12345 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Fantastic explanation Shruti didi😃