Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jess_Ru thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
hey shruti amazing post exactly physical love is a way of expressing love

bang on ...vaise I thought at d start ur talking about some Srinagar raas...then googled wat u wrote shringar means kina like getting ready na
Yagyaseni thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

I see some posts where it is asked whether a mythological show without romance is unacceptable or romance is called masala. 

I understand that every art comprises of Navrasas as per our Indian culture. Though every ras is important Shringaar ras has an associated beauty to it, because it is this ras at its base that is responsible for the milan of Prakriti and Purush and also the one that is needed to take forward human race. 
All our stories whether mythology or literature has abundance of Sringaar ras in it along with other rasas. 
And to equate the presence of this rasa to petty romance is really awful is my take. Why we need to shy away from Shringaar rasa in Ramayan and Mahabharat. Dont they have relations of hus-wife. Or is it expected that because it is divine there should not be Shringaar ras as if the divine is devoid of this ras. 
Our culture of shying away from Shringaar Ras stems up from the fact of treating physical love as dirty and bad and should not be used for divine characters. 

But physical love is an expession of emotional bonding between a husband and wife and any art can represent it in the right way without being vulgar is my take. 

Shringaar ras can be done aestically  with symbolisms and implied meanings and such Shringaar ras in any show is needed, without which it becomes a documentary and not a show. 

So degrading youth telling they want romance is like telling the youth are after some vulgar romance. Most of us are not. We only want some realistic portrayal of human relations than divinity. I personally consider Ramayan an eternal love story beauty of which is unmatched and highly inspirational and Mahabharata as a political saga that gives an insight of the right usage of wealth and power for a better life. 

PS:This is my POV on the epics not just related to SKR. I am not comparing anything respect to SKR in this post 

Bang On, Shruthi! Very well put. Loved your analysis since the times of ETCETS. In my previous posts on this forum, I had questioned the same. Why in Shringar shown as something vulgar? This is the most subtlest and the most beautiful ras which gives way to other rasas, said my dance teacher. Shiv-Parvati created Tandav-Lasya, Radha-Krishna are known as the eternal lovers but some people don't want this ras. Just because they are gods, they cannot have relationship as husband and wife? Shringar Ras is much much higher than what romance is for me. It is the emotional binding, the mental unison in which physical actions become the medium.

Agreed some shows take a very different take on Shringar Ras but this is showing the emotional bonding between Ram and Siya, making them Siya Ke Ram and Ram Ka Siya. I don't want vulgar romance. I am happy seeing those divine eye-locks which are more than enough to express the thoughts, the talk between eyes and those subtle expressions. This is what is romance for me.
Cool_wonder thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Hi Shruti... Nice post n well said
 I love the romance which is shown in the right way on TV...people who say anything about such beautiful potrayal of any form of love should be living in an imaginary world I guess...

In fact as u said lord Ram n Ma Sita's love is internal and beautiful, just like lord kirshan and Radha's love...

Also I don't see that cv's are showing anything wrong in the show... Coming to the point where lord Ram saves the horse... The ultimate aim was to show that lord always showed us to be loving towards animal's... They included it in the story..what wrong did they do...will the kids and Yong minds watching the show not learn that even our Lord was loving towards animal's ...n he changed 1 pratha for good...I definaely think that this will have a positive impact on the kids and young minds...in the name of pratha and parampara many wrong things happen to which I am very sure god too does not like or appreciate...

I say that cv's are doing a fab job with all the good teachings and showing the story of lord Ram in simplest and beautiful manner

Thanks Shruti for the post
Edited by Cool_wonder - 8 years ago
daydreamers thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Shruthi jhappi pa... 😳
Not a word I disagree with... 

Bang on!!!!!
daydreamers thumbnail

Originally posted by: .MereRangMein.

Bang On, Shruthi! Very well put. Loved your analysis since the times of ETCETS. In my previous posts on this forum, I had questioned the same. Why in Shringar shown as something vulgar? This is the most subtlest and the most beautiful ras which gives way to other rasas, said my dance teacher. Shiv-Parvati created Tandav-Lasya, Radha-Krishna are known as the eternal lovers but some people don't want this ras. Just because they are gods, they cannot have relationship as husband and wife? Shringar Ras is much much higher than what romance is for me. It is the emotional binding, the mental unison in which physical actions become the medium.

Agreed some shows take a very different take on Shringar Ras but this is showing the emotional bonding between Ram and Siya, making them Siya Ke Ram and Ram Ka Siya. I don't want vulgar romance. I am happy seeing those divine eye-locks which are more than enough to express the thoughts, the talk between eyes and those subtle expressions. This is what is romance for me.

I second you yagya 👍🏼
daydreamers thumbnail

Originally posted by: gmgi

[QUOTE=varaali

(My crib was the total distortion of facts, -like Dasartha's ashwamedha yagna- which sends a wrong message to the youth.

Like as if Ashwamedha is some like of a slaughter ritual.

And it required a Rama to change the rules (which he never did, in any case)

Just because the vidhi of Ashwamedha Yagna is not well known, can the CVs can conveniently change any ritual and pass it off as Rama's ? )

@Varaali
Regarding Ashwamedha Yagna this explanation was given by the team for the portrayal.

"In rama Raksha sthrotham lord ram is called the protector of sacrifices which most dongi babas misinterpret as one who allows sacrifice of animals but ram who is very cunning to allow sacrifice at the same time protect the animal from being slayed which is mentioned only in one sentence of the sthotram is highlighted by the director to remove the misconceptions on Hinduism."

Is it there on hotstar? Making ka video? 
Yagyaseni thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cool_wonder

Hi Shruti... Nice post n well said

I love the romance which is shown in the right way on TV...people who say anything about such beautiful potrayal of any form of love should be living in an imaginary world I guess...

In fact as u said lord Ram n Ma Sita's love is internal and beautiful, just like lord kirshan and Radha's love...

Also I don't see that cv's are showing anything wrong in the show... Coming to the point where lord Ram saves the horse... The ultimate aim was to show that lord always showed us to be living towards animal's... They included it in the story..what wrong did they do...will the kids and Yong minds watching the show not learn that even our Lord was loving towards animal's ...n he changed 1 pratha for good...I definaely think that this will have a positive impact on the kids and young minds...in the name of pratha and parampara many wrong things happen to which I am very sure god too does not like or appreciate...

I say that cv's are doing a fab job with all the good teachings and showing the story of lord Ram in simplest and beautiful manner

Thanks Shruti for the post

WORD! My history teacher always used to say that people who knew Sanskrit in the olden days used it for their own benefit and changed it in a way they would like. I don't think God would have wanted child marriage, killing of animals, dowry system, temple prostitution, caste system like this. God has always preached peace. And Krishna has time and again said that Kindness is the sarvottam dharam. And these kinds of things are against the very concept of kindness. The kinds of superstitions that prevail were surely not mentioned by the Vedas which had more science than we know today. The country which gave decimal and zero, the country which was home to oldest civilization wouldn't have given way to such norms. Earlier caste system was based on merit, and now it is based on birth. That's how our mahan rajas and scholars changed the meanings of our Vedas.

They are not giving a wrong message in the name of god and that is more than enough for me. I am proud of them for that. In current situations, we need things like this. They are showing us our culture, our values and teaching us something new everyday. It is an established fact that there are bound to be distortions in any kind of creative making of any written piece so people should read the epic to know it completely again. They are not destroying the main idea of Ramayan, which was to give a good message to the society. And that's what makes me happy.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@messi Indian art is expressed through Navrasas which comprises all the emotions felt in a human and Srinigar ras stands for the feelings of love and romance and if you take any art especially visual shringaar ras creates the charm. Even Mira bai who is treated as Lord Krishna's Bhakta worshipped him as her husband and her dohas have Srinigar ras in subtle form mixed with Bhakti. " Mere tho Giridhar Gopal, Doosra na koi, Jake mukud mor pankh mero pathi wohi" is lines of one of her doha( Only Krishna is in my heart, no one else. Whose crown has peacock feather he is my husband) 
@Mere Rang mein you are a dancer, so I dont have to tell you what Srinigar means. The beauty sringaar brings in our classical dances whether it is Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi or Mohiniyaatom is a visual treat and all these classical forms have Shiv-Sakthi natana and Krishna-Radha Rasleela one way or the other incorporated through beautiful songs. 

Even I prefer subtle romance, implied ones because that is more difficult to bring out using eyes and smiles and the subtle body language. Basically shringaar has to touch our hearts, make it beat with the couple, connect with the couple their love, their bonding

And I dont think Shringaar can touch heart if it does not have the soul just graphic description of physical union or visual presentation of physical union. 
Yagyaseni thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@messi Indian art is expressed through Navrasas which comprises all the emotions felt in a human and Srinigar ras stands for the feelings of love and romance and if you take any art especially visual shringaar ras creates the charm. Even Mira bai who is treated as Lord Krishna's Bhakta worshipped him as her husband and her dohas have Srinigar ras in subtle form mixed with Bhakti. " Mere tho Giridhar Gopal, Doosra na koi, Jake mukud mor pankh mero pathi wohi" is lines of one of her doha( Only Krishna is in my heart, no one else. Whose crown has peacock feather he is my husband) 

@Mere Rang mein you are a dancer, so I dont have to tell you what Srinigar means. The beauty sringaar brings in our classical dances whether it is Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi or Mohiniyaatom is a visual treat and all these classical forms have Shiv-Sakthi natana and Krishna-Radha Rasleela one way or the other incorporated through beautiful songs. 

Even I prefer subtle romance, implied ones because that is more difficult to bring out using eyes and smiles and the subtle body language. Basically shringaar has to touch our hearts, make it beat with the couple, connect with the couple their love, their bonding

And I dont think Shringaar can touch heart if it does not have the soul just graphic description of physical union or visual presentation of physical union. 

Call me Yagya, Shruthi. Yes, I am named after Yagyaseni Drauapdi.

Every single dance form has its own way of showing Shringar Ras. I learn Kathak though and learnt Bharatnatyam before. Rasleela and Shiv-Shakti are somethings which every classical dancer learns without fail. They are a part of our culture just like other Leelas of Krishna and other tales of Shiva and Parvati. Like you mentioned Mira Bhajans, have a tinge of shringaar ras. And most of our ragas too have shringar rasa. My music teacher used to tell me that there is no raga which cannot accommodate Shringar Ras because every other rasa can be incorporated along with it and it is believed that every rasa begins with shringar rasa, though I didn't understand it to a great detail.

Exactly and in SKR, it has a soul. Not just physical union which can be termed as vulgar. The romance showed here and the vulgar romance have a world of difference.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@yagya the patriarchy and Brahmanism in the middle ages bend the vedas and puranas to maintain power structures. A culture which worships woman as Shakthi today we call her abla nari. Can there me more irony to it. 
Sanathana Dharma which was based on everything and everyone is there for a reason, nothing is superior or inferior, today made into a mockery of  practices and rituals. Our rituals, culture is getting attacked everyday and what are we doing to defend it. Talk about past glory or take the knowledge from our epics and talk back to people who degrade the culture in their language. The language of science. I surely believe if the youth try with an analytical bend on our epics we can do that. So that hypocrisy is removed and the values of the epics shine through. 

@yagya the song Alaipaythe Kanna in Tamil and He Krishna , Karmukil varnente, Krishna Kripa Sagaram in Malayalam( Take transalations of these songs in the web) on the surface has Bhatki rasa, but you understand the lyrics a little deeper you have Sringar. See incorporating Sringar in Bhakti is really ultimate for a rasa. 
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago