Is Shringaar Ras not to be shown in Mythology

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
I see some posts where it is asked whether a mythological show without romance is unacceptable or romance is called masala. 
I understand that every art comprises of Navrasas as per our Indian culture. Though every ras is important Shringaar ras has an associated beauty to it, because it is this ras at its base that is responsible for the milan of Prakriti and Purush and also the one that is needed to take forward human race. 
All our stories whether mythology or literature has abundance of Sringaar ras in it along with other rasas. 
And to equate the presence of this rasa to petty romance is really awful is my take. Why we need to shy away from Shringaar rasa in Ramayan and Mahabharat. Dont they have relations of hus-wife. Or is it expected that because it is divine there should not be Shringaar ras as if the divine is devoid of this ras. 
Our culture of shying away from Shringaar Ras stems up from the fact of treating physical love as dirty and bad and should not be used for divine characters. 

But physical love is an expession of emotional bonding between a husband and wife and any art can represent it in the right way without being vulgar is my take. 

Shringaar ras can be done aestically  with symbolisms and implied meanings and such Shringaar ras in any show is needed, without which it becomes a documentary and not a show. 

So degrading youth telling they want romance is like telling the youth are after some vulgar romance. Most of us are not. We only want some realistic portrayal of human relations than divinity. I personally consider Ramayan an eternal love story beauty of which is unmatched and highly inspirational and Mahabharata as a political saga that gives an insight of the right usage of wealth and power for a better life. 

PS:This is my POV on the epics not just related to SKR. I am not comparing anything respect to SKR in this post 

Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DilMereSuntaNhi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

So degrading youth telling they want romance is like telling the youth are after some vulgar romance. Most of us are not. We only want some realistic portrayal of human relations than divinity. I personally consider Ramayan an eternal love story beauty of which is unmatched and highly inspirational and Mahabharata as a political saga that gives an insight of the right usage of wealth and power for a better life. 

WORDS. Perhaps I cannot put them so well ! You spoke my heart out shruti.
Its so true , that we are not loving the OTT scenes after all , We are looking the divinity in the Milan as well . It is so sad that ppl misunderstand our intentions and quote something which is entirely a whole different thing.
 I guess , we need not mix vulgarity with shringar ras . Lets be not judmental about everything , Lets try to accept it the way it is , it is history , we cant change it except accepting it as a fact .

Thnx for making this post shruti ! Much needed .

Love,
Sruthi

Edited by DilMereSuntaNhi - 8 years ago
sumedha93 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Traditional Indian culture never shied away from physical aspect of romance. India is the county of Kamsutra and temples of Khajuraho. Great pieces of literature like Malvikagnimitra, Abhigyanshakuntalam and Vikramurvashi are part of Indian history and culture. 
Hindu philosophy lays great emphasis on Kaam (desires) and recognises it as one of the most important aspect of human life. It is a shame that something which was celebrated in ancient times is considered 'dirty' today. 

That being said there is a difference between been romantic and vulgar. We are more than happy with some eye locks, hand touching and hugs. Even I don't want to see anything too bold in the divine love saga. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
@sruti take the literal meaning of the ras " Shringar". Why do we do Shringaar is it because we dont have natural beauty, it is done to enhance the natural beauty the right way. Same is the case with Sringaar ras, it enhances the story, gives a beauty to it that is pleasant.
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Sumedha perfect. I feel most of the audience can recognize the difference between subtle beautiful romance and vulgarity. But the presence of romance equated to need for masala somehow I cant digest that thought. Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
KrishnaSourav thumbnail
beautiful post n good question
same thing I always thing if they r husband wife they have also relationship like normal human being n then y not showing n shying away n if anyone try then its modern mentality but if we go back to our root then there is Shringran Ras ..
this can be shown beautiful aesthetically ...
Romance is not vulger ...
we r long forgotten the our exact culture n mixing it vulger with beautiful things...

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I see some posts where it is asked whether a mythological show without romance is unacceptable or romance is called masala. 

I understand that every art comprises of Navrasas as per our Indian culture. Though every ras is important Shringaar ras has an associated beauty to it, because it is this ras at its base that is responsible for the milan of Prakriti and Purush and also the one that is needed to take forward human race. 
All our stories whether mythology or literature has abundance of Sringaar ras in it along with other rasas. 
And to equate the presence of this rasa to petty romance is really awful is my take. Why we need to shy away from Shringaar rasa in Ramayan and Mahabharat. Dont they have relations of hus-wife. Or is it expected that because it is divine there should not be Shringaar ras as if the divine is devoid of this ras. 
Our culture of shying away from Shringaar Ras stems up from the fact of treating physical love as dirty and bad and should not be used for divine characters. 

But physical love is an expession of emotional bonding between a husband and wife and any art can represent it in the right way without being vulgar is my take. 

Shringaar ras can be done aestically  with symbolisms and implied meanings and such Shringaar ras in any show is needed, without which it becomes a documentary and not a show. 

PS:This is my POV on the epics not just related to SKR. I am not comparing anything respect to SKR in this post 

Did I point fingers at the youth ? DId I say I have a problem with the depiction of Sringara rasa ?

All my criticism was levied at the producers and the CVs for a different reason altogether. I will come to it in a minute

First your justification of sringara rasa. I have read, studied and enjoyed Kaliasa's Kumarasambhavam. The eighth canto describes the love pastimes Shiva and Parvati is such graphic  detail, that the modern serials will be appear to be a heavily censored version beside it.

Where have I said that sringara rasa should not be depicted ?

My crib was the total distortion of facts, -like Dasartha's ashwamedha yagna- which sends a wrong message to the youth.

Like as if Ashwamedha is some like of a slaughter ritual.

And it required a Rama to change the rules (which he never did, in any case)

Just because the vidhi of Ashwamedha Yagna is not well known, can the CVs can conveniently change any ritual and pass it off as Rama's ? 

Edited by varaali - 8 years ago
sumedha93 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: varaali

Did I point fingers at the youth ? DId I say I have a problem with the depiction of Sringara rasa ?

All my criticism was levied at the producers and the CVs for a different reason altogether. I will come to it in a minute

First your justification of sringara rasa. I have read, studied and enjoyed Kaliasa's Kumarasambhavam. The eighth canto describes the love pastimes Shiva and Parvati is such graphic  detail, that the modern serials will be appear to be a heavily censored version beside it.

Where have I said that sringara rasa should not be depicted ?

My crib was the total distortion of facts, -like Dasartha's ashwamedha yagna- which sends a wrong message to the youth.

Just because the vidhi of Ashwamedha Yagna is not well known, can the CVs can conveniently change any ritual and pass it off as Rama's ? 

Recently I have started reading Kumarasambhavam (English translation ) but it as only seven canto. Where can I find the rest of them ? Is there any book which has complete translation of the text ?

Edited by sumedha93 - 8 years ago
gmgi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
[QUOTE=varaali

(My crib was the total distortion of facts, -like Dasartha's ashwamedha yagna- which sends a wrong message to the youth.

Just because the vidhi of Ashwamedha Yagna is not well known, can the CVs can conveniently change any ritual and pass it off as Rama's ? )

@Varaali
Regarding Ashwamedha Yagna this explanation was given by the team for the portrayal.

"In rama Raksha sthrotham lord ram is called the protector of sacrifices which most dongi babas misinterpret as one who allows sacrifice of animals but ram who is very cunning to allow sacrifice at the same time protect the animal from being slayed which is mentioned only in one sentence of the sthotram is highlighted by the director to remove the misconceptions on Hinduism."

Edited by gmgi - 8 years ago
TOTAL-ROMANTIC thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Shruthi you are my soul mate , I cant thank you enough for doing this post..!!👏
Edited by TOTAL-ROMANTIC - 8 years ago