Everybody cannot do everything- Janak

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
I am making a second topic today because I felt this line needs discussion in today's scenario. Reason being there is a mad rush by parents for making their wards Engineers or doctors. As if only those two professions are needed to survive. Reason these two professions are looked mostly is because for former the IT boom, resultant onsite opportunity and money. In case of boys that means more dowry. And in case of latter an opportunity to make lucrative business in the so called private sector.
I don't know how much true, but I have heard stories like in AP there is some famous coaching centre and during admission time its gate open exactly at 5 and will close at 5:10. All those who are able to enter the premises in those 10 minutes will get admission. I cant imagine the push and pull that might be happening. 
Personal experience. All the coaching centres takes your marks. Most of them prefer only the top scoring students since it is easy to coach them. During my time atleast the coaching classes were useful as problems were solved, equations were given or shall I say before proceeding towards entrance those teachers ensured the basics were taught. But couple of years back when my cousin was struggling with multiple tutions and I asked her what is the problem. She told in school the teacher wants to solve problem like this. Tuition sir says it is like this. Which is correct, I am confused. I went through her problem
School said V=U+at, tuition said v(0)= u(0)+at(0). Anyone knowing physics will know both these equations are correct in their own way. One is static and other is relative. But when these people negate one for the other naturally a child who is just learning the fundamentals get confused. And as far as fundamental goes it has to be the former. Her tuition class without making her know the fundamental was preparing her for entrance, to solve the multiple choice question.
If that was not enough another startling revelation she gave was problems are not solved in class. They tell theory, then give assignments for problems . I discussed with her and my aunt and we discontinued her coaching. Reason being a top scorer in 10th was confused to the core by these people as they were not able to answer her questions and the poor girl didn't had the capacity to mug up anything and everything without understanding. It is like that didn't work with her because neither at home or among relatives she was made to take it is like that just sitting. She was encouraged to question.
She lost quite a lot of time, and quite lot of marks also in this mess. But thankfully the decision to discontinue tuitions gave her much better performance in 12th than she could muster in 11th. 
We need to understand that the children are the real losers in this melee of every child can study the same way or every child can study engineering. As responsible parents we need to understand our kids. We need to know their ability, encourage them to use their ability right way, help them to deal with failure, make them understand when they are not in line with majority that they are unique in their own way and ensure they get opportunity to show case that unique skill than sending them again in the pack telling your are lazy or something of that sort.  
To be a doctor you need service mind, to be an engineer you need sharp analytical skills and logical reasoning.
An engineer's core subject is physics and they should be able to see what other's cannot. A doctor should have compassion as their core personality. Engineers deal with machines and physical space. Doctors deal with humans and inner space.

Also there are multiple other professions from sports, to arts, to banking, to lawyer to CA, to business where one can shine. Each profession needing its own special skills. 

The problem with us is that we treat some traits superior, other inferior. No they are not. Everything is needed and the universe is making everything balanced only. We by creating unbalance are runining not only the present, but future generation also.

Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

KrishnaSourav thumbnail
Shruthi another bang on post
 I also loved it when Janak said everyone can't do everything
if we accept this simple thing then everything will be peacefully but aspiration is too much ambition to compete with others (Not in good way ) n make other down n feel good from others r more than anything...

I have choose Commerce n my parents supported me but few of my relatives start to say a woman is doing commerce what is the future its male thing its not cup of my tea... even when I entered class I have seen 3 :15 , only 3 girls we r out of 20 students then school to college to university every where same ...but later now I have seen many r coming n joining...even boys n girls ...
but one time its said who r not good thy choose commerce btw how did they know it ...they didn't even read or study it...
then if u r not dr or engineer then u r as bad as failure this is our society 

everyone r best at their own way n everyone can't get same result...they r unique 
our five fingers r not same in our hand so...
but our society n our thinking process ...is to feel superior or make other inferior 
The problem with us is that we treat some traits superior, other inferior. No they are not. Everything is needed and the universe is making everything balanced only. We by creating unbalance are runining not only the present, but future generation also.
 u said what in ur last para that bold part 
I agreed fully...

prav2 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@shruti .. very well written post.. would completely agree with you ... not only in AP .. in TN too certain parts there are exclusive boarding schools for 11th 12th students which follows a strict regimen like get up at 3 and study till 12 like that which prepare them for these professional colleges .. students are put under enormous pressure to excel ...

a holistic way of learning is lost somewhere in the competition for producing results in terms of mark  as better results means more admissions .. its a sad state and rightly put by janak everybody can't do everything...personally i like our vedic gurukuls system where a child is nurtured under a unbiased guru free from any external pressure devoid of society or even parental wishes and allowed to excel in a art that he naturally favors to...

shruthiravi thumbnail
@Krishna I am an engineer and way back in 1999 when I was giving entrance same queries had come, why engineer, will she be able to complete it and last but not least who will marry her. An engineering for a boy was a ticket to more dowry, but for a girl additional burden for parents in those days. Yes many girls are doing engineering now , working and earning well also. Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
KrishnaSourav thumbnail
@Shruthi oh oh..this is common problem I guess as if we educated more then who will marry us n will be burden what logic by our society be it ...I joined after 2 yrs Commerce but heard same thing...
Swatsu thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
The above line struck me too though you have given an example with our current education system.The present scenario for the children is extremely stressful.Speaking of coaching centres ,they are now encouraging children from 7th std onwards to prepare for IITJEE.This is so absurd especially when the child is not even sure if science is their forte.Parents are so blinded by the ads and also peer pressure from family ,colleagues that they fail to take the child's interest in mind.I fail to understand how a child is made to slog for 4-5 years just for one single exam.I know some cases where after clearing the Mains and getting admission into the prestigious college they are not able to keep pace with the competition.The movie 3 Idiots was an example of how pressure gets onto the students.
Speaking from my own experience My son wanted to do CA only and we come from a family of engineers.He is happy with his choice and I am proud of him.My daughter is in her 12th and she is presently very stressed about her board exams.She is still unsure of her coarse ofstudy except that she does not want to do either engineering or medicine.I am encouraging her to take up pure science and later go for research.I keep telling my daughter that it's ok if you don't top the class all the time .
In my case I let my children find their ground and they too know that I am there for them when they need me.Comparisions with others is an absolute no.Each one is unique and this must be acknowledged and appreciated.
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Krishna that's why I said in one of my earlier post. Marriage should not be a constraint in girls education. Let her study what she want to study. At the right time a man will come who will appreciate her for what she is. Why settle for mediocrity when the girl has special talent.
shruthiravi thumbnail
@swatsu I know. It is not 7th. I have seen ads to enroll students from 5th😲 for IIT. Another interesting ad I saw was to bring 1 year old to some coaching centre so that he or she will get admission to the prestigious school 😲. I made a comment seeing that ad to my hubby, so are they telling going forward when woman conceive itself they should go to coaching classes so that at the time baby is born instead of crying tell " A,B,C,D"πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Shruti di I can relate to ur post so well..
I passed my 12 last year only
Now currently I am doing engineering

My father is engineer, eventually wanted me to do engineering,
11, 12 two years time just flew away in going to coaching and tutions, no time for self study...

After seeing my stressful routine I decided to leave my coaching and thus did very well in my boards..
Though board marks were good my entrance exam was not satisfactory..
I studied whole heartedly without any tutions or coaching and finally within 1 months time after boards I was ready for my entrances and I was able to crack almost all entrances of engineering be it regional level or all India and private too..
Finally I had many choices of colleges and chose a good govt college,near my house ..

What I felt was boards and entrances are of different levels...one getting 97 in boards couldn't crack entrance exams... Thus we see ppl dropping a year .. I feel lucky that I took the right decisions in time, studied priority wise and got good percentage and percentile in boards as well as a satisfactory rank in entrances and was not forced to drop a year... I am lucky to have a father who guided me throughout , understood my capabilities and made me study in the right way..
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@Shruthi: Woah, u made second post for the episode with catching tagπŸ‘

It was my previous signπŸ˜† " Nobody  can be a master in everything". Hope this sign also appears in the showπŸ˜‰

Its always interesting to read ur post. By the way, from ur posts which I have read so far, I imagined a face for uπŸ˜ƒ that much I learned about u😳 (don't worry, highly +ive vibe only)

Coming to topic, u said it all nothing more to add.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†