Views

Users

Frequent Posters

deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: Ramyalaxmi

Quite interesting thread. So far none from my field. I am waitingπŸ˜‰

Hey, which is your field? medicine? or fine arts? But believe me whatever I learnt and dealt in Engineering is purely for knowledge and betterment but what fascinates me even today is the books on history which husband feels dead subject. But the irony is he is the one who gets me books on history if he come across any during his trips.
CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@Ramya you have thought a face for me πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.

@aditi you said it right. The level at which you need to prepare for boards and that for entrance is different. Another thing is that if you don't get entrance, still have good score in boards you will have multiple options, but flunking in boards, not doing well in boards you can land in trouble.
I still remember the girl who had couple of ranks better than me in engineering. Those days to get seat we had to go to a centralized counseling centre where seats will be allotted. Newspapers will have dates of counseling and times for a set of ranks at a particular time. I could see this girl pleading for a seat. And the officer telling no. Reason her plus 2 maths was 48, whereas for engineering in those days 50 was needed. So even with a good rank she didn't get the seat
If you learn to do multiple choice, without understanding fundamental, then it is a problem. Board is fundamental. We need to understand that and if we understand that then entrance becomes easy. Many coaching centres do it reverse. Give quick fix for entrance without teaching fundamentals. Hence all this become complex.

Yes u r right I know many people who concentrate solely on boards and then drop a year and get a good college, most of the iitians are droppers only , but if u flunk in boards it becomes very difficult. . atleast by doing good in boards u can get into a good college and pursue Commerce or eco or English etc there are many options..

Yes that time it might have been more difficult but nowadays since many private colleges are there where placements are equally good as the govt engineering has become a bit easy but competition is still very high...
About 12 lakh students appear for JEE mains ...

You are right about boards they concentrate on fundamentals , I left my coaching for this very reason that they didn't taught the base but gave only questions.. Private tutions were better for boards..
That's why my first entrance exam was not good as I had only knowledge of boards but didn't know how to apply it properly... But then my main focus was question solving and finally I did well in my other entrances..
In fact I got very low in JEE mains , but due to good percentage in boards a got a good rank, so yes boards are more important(as they take 40% marks of board too)
later I concentrated on entrance level and got about much better rank for other entrances...
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: deejagi

Hey, which is your field? medicine? or fine arts? But believe me whatever I learnt and dealt in Engineering is purely for knowledge and betterment but what fascinates me even today is the books on history which husband feels dead subject. But the irony is he is the one who gets me books on history if he come across any during his trips.

My field is scientific research. Most of my colleagues are atheist. Idk why people think that when they can dig and find the roots, they can solve everything in life. Half of my energy is always wasted in the argumentπŸ˜‰. If I ignore them, they think we don't have answer. Maybe thats the reason none are known so far of my line in this forum.😊

When I was asked to join engineering by my family, I straight away rejected the suggestion. None accepted my aim of becoming scientist for the following two main reasons at that time
1. Not possible for a woman
2. Can't spend so much of years in learning

It is our duty to make them understand and I am happy that there are more students entering this zone nowadays.😊
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Jaya count me in. Studied engineering. Fascination in history, mythology. Anything available in these lines I am always there πŸ˜†

@Ramya problem with extreme religion is that they view science with suspicion, and problem with extreme science is that they discard religion as superstition. Actually both are needed just like APJ a greatest scientist of our times showed us the way he lived.

@aditi the problem is if you move ahead in life without understanding in fundamentals, you will always struggle. You will always complain. So if we are struggling somewhere the truth is that we don't know fundamental. We are applying the law incorrectly. Law can never go wrong, but its application varies from person to person. So only if you know fundamental you can apply it. But for quick gains fundamental is ignored. Yes there are so many private colleges so why study hard for engineering. Get a payment seat. After that. There are so many IT companies. Get into one of them. Get married. Have kids. How to lead married life. No clue. What to teach kids no clue. Because you didn't struggle, you don't have a journey, you don't have learnings. And one catastrophe suicide not just the child, how many family suicides I see everyday in newspaper. And I feel why couldn't they survive. Why couldn't they think positive. Why couldn't they hold a bit longer. Reason is unable to deal with failure. Struggle helps you to deal with failure and then bounce back.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
BertieWooster thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Although the kings, by their churlish behavior, lost all right to respect and empathy, it was an opportunity for Maharaj Janak to share a life truth!

Not all of us can do everything and there is no shame in not being able to do something. At the end of the day, success is an artificial construct that society has put up.

All of us cannot aim to break the shivdhanush. In real life, there are different shivdhanushes for each of us. Some we have the ability to break and some we don't! The problem occurs when all of us decide that there is one single shivdhanush and only those who break it are successful.

We need to be able to understand our own innate strengths and pick  the right shivdhanush for us. Although, there is no shame is failing even. At least we tried!

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Bertie the problem was with the kings in not trying to understand why Raja Janak had kept such a thing for swayamvar.
They didn't understand Shiv Dhanush was the symbol of Sita's special power, special talent. And the one who matched that power,that talent was able to take it.

Everyone was seeing it as a competition. Lift the Dhanush. Come first. For them it was an object and Sita the prize. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

If they had known the baby girl Sita had lifted the dhanush, half of them wouldn't have even come there as her possible suitors πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Actually it reminded me of the alliance match happening in my community. Some 10-15 years back how much ever the girl was educated she was married off to lesser educated men as marriage was considered more necessary and if a guy liked the girl the match was fixed. It never mattered to most people whether the guy was actually a match for the girl and it doesn't matter to the guy also that is he a match for the girl. We know such attitude prevails even now what with acid attacks and all. But the whole tamasha showed a lack of curiosity from the part of the kings who came for swayamvar. No one asked Janak why the wise men asked him to keep this as condition for Sita's swayamvar.
Ramyalaxmi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruthiravi

@Ramya problem with extreme religion is that they view science with suspicion, and problem with extreme science is that they discard religion as superstition. Actually both are needed just like APJ a greatest scientist of our times showed us the way he lived.

Its true shruthi. The point is beyond certain level, its shunya. We have to accept it as such. I too have a rational method but I accept in many cases in physics we introduce a constant (with full meaning only πŸ˜‰) but as we proceed further all the constants be added and still be denoted by a constant. A constant is a constant no matter what we do to it (dont bring differentiator, still we can take zero as a constant πŸ˜†). Likewise supreme power is one and it exist, no matter whether we realise it or not.
Edited by Ramyalaxmi - 8 years ago
chicksoup thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Wow, Shruti! πŸ‘
A message delivered well, indeed! πŸ‘

I really liked the way Janak handled this. He could have spoken in their language since they insulted him, but he chose to respect each and everyone of those kings present there- when they didn't even deserve it after what they had done. He acknowledged that each of them must have a special talent that did not fulfill his requirements for completing the swayamvar, nevertheless they all had some talent or the other!

Loved the way you extrapolated it to our current life circumstances! πŸ‘
BertieWooster thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
@shruthi

Exactly...no one was curious enough to find out why they were required to do it...understanding the reason behind doing something is as important as doing it!

In the modern context examples you have shared, the problem is again blindly doing something because that is perceived as the scale for success...the prize being the winner tag and maybe material wealth...but the true reason of why we need to do it, be it education or training, is never questioned or understood..!

I agree with what you say about the patriarchal notion with regard to marriage alliances...the girl is seen as the prize to be won...whether the boy deserves the prize is not considered..because boys deserve to win and girls are made to be won...sigh!
adi2512 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Shruthi,
Lovely post !

As a mother of a 9 year old, and as a previous student who never had an inclination to go to any coaching centres to crack the entrance tests for the professional exams ( of course with complete support from my parents ), I can totally connect to your post.

But its indeed become a more scarier world out there , at the moment, when compared to our times...

More than the children, right now, the parents needs to be brave and bold, to think out of the box πŸ˜†

---------

@ Ramya, 

We both are so alike...imagining faces, based on what / how they write...even I tend to do that... πŸ˜†πŸ˜†