Gandhararaj Shakuni- An Analysis

Ramya_98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago
Okay, so before i begin with this, i want to make some things clear. Firstly, i do not like the character of shakuni from the mahabharat,i mean we alll dislike him in one way or the other. I am making this post only because i was gravely disturbed, in fact irritated by the characterization of shakuni in SPK, and it has far crossed the limit.I could not bare the extent to which certain characters are being butchered in this show and one of the major ones is shakuni. My objective is only to understand and present something about the real shakuni, the gandhar naresh shakuni, pretty much as he was presented by the great Krishna Dwaipyana himself and to discuss about some lose ends and major aspects of this complex and a very much negative character. The following are just my opinions after honest analysis with whatever little knowledge i have of mahabharata, according to whatever i have read and known of him and everyone is free to have his or hers. I want some constructive and healthy discussions here and a strict no-no to bashing.

To begin with, i would like to start with the meaning of the name 'Shakuni' which essentially means a bird. Shakuni was also called Suabala that is son of king subala and gandhararaj, the king of gandhar. As it has been shown in the serial and also finds citations in some texts, shakuni was lame and had a wound on his left foot. However he was not born lame and there are two versions to the story of how he got that limp. According to the first one gandhari was a 'manglik' and so the family decided to get her married to a goat and then killed the goat before her marriage to dhirthrashtra to get rid of this shortcoming in her horoscope. When dhritrashtra came to know of this, he grew furious and he imprisoned Subala along with his 100 sons including shakuni and gave them one grain of rice each to feed on. The brothers decided to gather all the grains and feed them to shakuni who happened to be the strongest of the lot. Subala before dying either twisted shakuni's knee bone or shakuni himself created that wound so that he would forever be reminded of the revenge he intended on taking. On subala's instruction, shakuni made a pair of dice from subala's thigh bone which would obey his command and which he used to fulfill his vow of destroying the kuru lineage. Another version states shakuni's extreme hatred for bheeshma for it was because of him that his sister gandhari had to marry a blind man and therefore he took an oath to cause the destruction of all the kauravas.However, none of these stories owe their origin to the original vyasa's mahabharata and therefore are considered to be folklore or later additions.

Shakuni was a well-built strong man with a good physique. He was a good warrior too and many say he was a devotee of lord shiva. He can be labelled as vindictive, a schemer, an extremely manipulative and wicked man . It won't be wrong if we say that he was the major cause as well as the shrewd mastermind of the mahabharata war. It was him who incited his nephew against his cousins, the pandavas, always somewhere adding fuel to the fire, and in this process satisfying his own revengeful motives.The game of dice or the dyut sabha which is a turning point in the great immortal epic by vyasa has every credential in this cruel man's favour.

Okay, so this was what we all know of gandhara raj and this has already highlighted some of things wrongly shown in the serial. But now i want to go a step ahead. My post also aims at analysing the man not only by his actions but also by the head and the heart behind his so called ill-deeds.This would certainly not decrease or reduce the number or extent of his sins but it is just an attempt to comprehend him even better.

If we move on to his family, we are known that he had a son named ulooka who finds a clear mention in the epic mainly at two places. One is on the eve of the battle where he acts as a messenger to duryodhana and carries all those challenging and at the same time insulting words to the pandava camp from the kauravas. And the second mention is his killing by sahadeva, the youngest pandava. There is another son too who is called vrikasur. But he naturally did not focus his attention to his children, so engrossed was he with his sister's children.However, no where is his wife mentioned nor her name which is indeed strange.I am not very well versed on this subject but if anyone knows about this please do include that in your reply.

Now coming to the Gandhara Naresh. This is again a point where we cannot be sure of anything. You can find shakuni in hastinapura at almost every point in the epic probably. It was as if shakuni had made hastinapur his residence. And wherever duryodhana and dushasana go, shakuni seems to accompany them everywhere.So it is indeed very confusing as to how he managed his duties as the king. Do you think he was a good ruler to his people?

Shakuni in the epic as i already said can be always found with his nephew duryodhana. But then he kind of dedicated his whole life to avenge his parents and his siblings going by the common stories. So, we tend to be sceptical as to whether his love for his nephew was genuine.If all he wanted was just the destruction of kuru race, it was obvious that he used his nephew as a pawn at every point for his retaliation. He climbed up the ladder of fulfilling his ultimate vow with duryodhana and dushasana for supports. But at the same time, if we decide to stick to the mahabharata alone, this turns out to be the other way round. The love suddenly seems deep and a one where you can do anything for the one you love. In this view, shakuni was a doting uncle who could go to any lengths to see his nephew happy and ruling as the supreme emperor of aryavrat. And if this is the case, every deed of this man including lakshagrah, the game of dice, pandavas exile and the war, every thing seems to be an outcome of just blind love. So while the first view is difficult but still acceptable as the motives are clear and the ones which carry weight in the eyes of a human being, the second view looks like that of an obsessed lover and the one which in the end leads to ones own destruction. I do not know which view is true but whichever one is true, no view can justify the misdeeds of shakuni and that i can be sure of.

Again, the same thing applies to his love for his sister gandhari, which was undoubtedly heart felt. He loved her deeply and probably did everything for her but the problem was that he did not understand her or obey her.And in the process to prove his love, he destroyed her familial life, caused the death of her children and put her to great shame as a woman too.

So,on a concluding note, shakuni would always remain one of my most hated characters from the mahabharata but one thing that i still would find good in him is that he was a man true to his words. But his ill-deeds are far too many and so he met his end at the hands of sahadeva in the great war of kurukshetra, which was still a very puny punishment against the sins he had incurred in his lifetime.

Please feel free to share your views.

Edited by ramya06 - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Actually i dont hate Shakuni .I feel bad for him just like i feel for Dury.Thanks to all these serials made on MB

These serials make Shakuni and Dury seem worse than they actually were

Thanks to all these serials Shakuni has now become this great manipulator who turned Dury evil and hence led to destruction of Kuru clan.Which is just not true

Shakuni didnt not manipulate Dury at all.There is no such indication in the entire epic.Yes he was part of Dury's plans .But was he the great master mind behind it like serials show .No

The only incident where its indicated that Shakuni guided Dury was Bhima's poisoning as a child.

Other than that he didn't manipulate Duy into doing anything.

Lakshagarah was not Shakuni's master plan.He was just part of the plan.Its Dury who goes to convince Dhrit to send Pandavas to Varnavat ,Shakuni is no where in the picture

Infact after Rajsuya yajna Shakuni actually tells Dury to forget his insult and not be jealous of Pandavas.But its Dury who still wants a war hence Shakuni suggests dice game

Shakuni cant be blamed for anything that happened in the dice game.He didnt cheat Yudi .He won because he was more skilled.It was Yudi who was  being foolish.Shakuni also had no role to play in Drau's insult atleast not to the extend of Pandavas ,Karna and Dury.So i don't find Shakuni guilty of anything in dice game.

After this there is no single incident which shows Shakuni manipulating Dury or being a great master mind behind Dury's plan.

He was just guy who supported his nephew that is it.
ThePirateKing thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@Sabhyata you called that one completely correct. 
The only plot that Shakuni was involved in any way to kill the Pandavas was the Lakshagrah. Even though one can say the Dhrit and other politicians of the Kaurava court convinced him to do that he got the house built.

There are mixed versions of his being involved in the poisoning case. Some say he was and some say he was not.

Again Shakuni asked Dury to be happy with his lot after the Rajsuya Yagna, it was Dury who threw tantrums and stuff and persuaded Dhrit. In the game of dice, he just rolled the dice and probably suggested that Draupadi may be staked. Other than that he was pretty quiet. If Yudi had a doubt that he was cheating he should/could have walked off. He being the Emperor who did the Rajsuya, so by that token the Kauravas were his subordinates.

I won't consider Shakuni blameless, but compared to Duri, Dushi, Karna etc he had far less blame to carry and he was certainly no way evil as most books and serials portray. He just wanted to look after the interests of his nephew
Edited by ThePirateKing - 8 years ago
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
^^^Agree with you both. Shakuni is widely misunderstood. He got ready for dice game when Dury threatened him of doing suicide. Still he advised Dury to not feel jealous because what Pandavas were doing had nothing to do with Dury. He came up with the idea of DS only because he loved Dury so much. He certainly was against them but not to the levels modern acharyas and swamijis (ancestors of TV shows & novels) depict him to be.Edited by Brahmaputra - 8 years ago
Ramya_98 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Actually i dont hate Shakuni .I feel bad for him just like i feel for Dury.Thanks to all these serials made on MB

These serials make Shakuni and Dury seem worse than they actually were

Thanks to all these serials Shakuni has now become this great manipulator who turned Dury evil and hence led to destruction of Kuru clan.Which is just not true

Shakuni didnt not manipulate Dury at all.There is no such indication in the entire epic.Yes he was part of Dury's plans .But was he the great master mind behind it like serials show .No

The only incident where its indicated that Shakuni guided Dury was Bhima's poisoning as a child.

Other than that he didn't manipulate Duy into doing anything.

Lakshagarah was not Shakuni's master plan.He was just part of the plan.Its Dury who goes to convince Dhrit to send Pandavas to Varnavat ,Shakuni is no where in the picture

Infact after Rajsuya yajna Shakuni actually tells Dury to forget his insult and not be jealous of Pandavas.But its Dury who still wants a war hence Shakuni suggests dice game

Shakuni cant be blamed for anything that happened in the dice game.He didnt cheat Yudi .He won because he was more skilled.It was Yudi who was being foolish.Shakuni also had no role to play in Drau's insult atleast not to the extend of Pandavas ,Karna and Dury.So i don't find Shakuni guilty of anything in dice game.

After this there is no single incident which shows Shakuni manipulating Dury or being a great master mind behind Dury's plan.

He was just guy who supported his nephew that is it.

I agree with you sabhyata. And that is the reason why i made this post. Shakuni and dury were not so bad as being shown.
But i believe he was among the first ones who sowed the first seed of jealousy in dury's mind by advising him to poison bheema. Dury here is being shown as a big villain, which he was not ,but lets keep the discussion confined to shakuni.
I agree about the lakshagrah incident. I am sorry, i made a mistake in this one. Yes, shakuni is not in picture and it was a plan by dhrit, dury, purochan and dhrit's shrewd advisor kanika was also involved. I made this post in a hurry and i should not have included lakshagrah here because shakuni is not mentioned as the mastermind in this one. However some do talk of his involvement too and we cannot reach to a proper conclusion here.
But we still cannot justify shakuni in DS. Shakuni proposed the dice game and said he would win all of yudi's riches for dury. And it was shakuni who made yudi lay a bet on drau. He coaxed yudi by saying that he should not have lost himself when he still has possesions and he still possesed panchali. But the VH was something dury and karna proposed so he is blameless there. But i am still not sure if it was all preplanned.
Yes, the last point you said, that is what i precisely said about his blind love for dury.
But do you think there is no truth in the stories of shakuni's revenge on kuru vansh?Edited by ramya06 - 8 years ago
Ramya_98 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ThePirateKing

@Sabhyata you called that one completely correct.

The only plot that Shakuni was involved in any way to kill the Pandavas was the Lakshagrah. Even though one can say the Dhrit and other politicians of the Kaurava court convinced him to do that he got the house built.

There are mixed versions of his being involved in the poisoning case. Some say he was and some say he was not.

Again Shakuni asked Dury to be happy with his lot after the Rajsuya Yagna, it was Dury who threw tantrums and stuff and persuaded Dhrit. In the game of dice, he just rolled the dice and probably suggested that Draupadi may be staked. Other than that he was pretty quiet. If Yudi had a doubt that he was cheating he should/could have walked off. He being the Emperor who did the Rajsuya, so by that token the Kauravas were his subordinates.

I won't consider Shakuni blameless, but compared to Duri, Dushi, Karna etc he had far less blame to carry and he was certainly no way evil as most books and serials portray. He just wanted to look after the interests of his nephew

Yes, agree with you that the poisoning case too has mixed versions.
But he only proposed the game of dice and made yudi wager draupadi.
Yes, i agree again that he was less to be blamed and the revenge version of his story makes him resound more evil i suppose. But one more thing that irkes me is the wrong potrayal of dury and dushi too. Dury too had a good side. Agreed he was jealous of the pandavas and wanted to take away what was rightly theres but that seed of jealousy was mostly sown by dhritrashtra himself and to a certain extent shakuni too. Instead of persuading him and making him understand he was wrong, both dhrit and shakuni only encouraged him for all his wrongdoings and to tell the truth dhrit himself envied yudi and the pandavas and vyasa provides plenty of evidence to prove this including him taking the advice of kanika, him excitedly asking what had been won when he knew drau was won in the bet and many many more. So maybe,it was more of dhrit and less of shakuni's role in influencing dury.Edited by ramya06 - 8 years ago
Ramya_98 thumbnail
Double post. 😛 Edited by ramya06 - 8 years ago
Ramya_98 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Brahmaputra

^^^Agree with you both. Shakuni is widely misunderstood. He got ready for dice game when Dury threatened him of doing suicide. Still he advised Dury to not feel jealous because what Pandavas were doing had nothing to do with Dury. He came up with the idea of DS only because he loved Dury so much. He certainly was against them but not to the levels modern acharyas and swamijis (ancestors of TV shows & novels) depict him to be.

I am not sure of the suicide thing but yes, shakuni invented the game of dice only to satisfy his nephew's jealousy and greed. Yes, it was his blind love too according to the second view i wrote about.
But do you all think the first view i put forward in this regard and his retaliation are baseless? It is not found in mahabharat but this view too is widely accepted.
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Ramya - Dury threatened him of suicide if Ps were not attacked and killed and then Shakuni came up with DS plan. Dury also had threatened Karna with suicide if Ps were not killed in Kamyaka vana during their Vana Vasa but Karna came up with the idea of Ghoshayatra. Once I used to think Shakuni was the mastermind behind everything but in reality he was not. I choose to stick with Mahabharata here, not what majority people believe. After reading the book, I can see only that he did wrong by coming up with the idea of DS. But he had not initially meant to get all brothers and Draupadi as slaves, if I am not wrong. That was done by Yudhi. I don't see any reason for Shakuni's all deeds except his love for Dury. Without proper evidences, I cannot support other views. If we can find something in the epic, we shall. And your post is very informative. I knew nothing about Shakuni. Not even his sons' names.Edited by Brahmaputra - 8 years ago
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ramya06

But we still cannot justify shakuni in DS. Shakuni proposed the dice game and said he would win all of yudi's riches for dury. And it was shakuni who made yudi lay a bet on drau. He coaxed yudi by saying that he should not have lost himself when he still has possesions and he still possesed panchali. But the VH was something dury and karna proposed so he is blameless there. But i am still not sure if it was all preplanned.
Yes, the last point you said, that is what i precisely said about his blind love for dury.
But do you think there is no truth in the stories of shakuni's revenge on kuru vansh?

Regarding DS like i said his role in it is far lesser than what Pandavas themselves and Karna and Dury played.

Hence i don't blame him much

Yes he did come with the idea of DS to win Yudi's riches for Dury's sake.But even Yudi went to play so that he can win Dury's kingdom which Yudi himself accepts during Vana parva.So if Shakuni is wrong here so is Yudi.In any case in those days people used to fight wars to win other's Kingdoms so i don't see the big deal in playing dice game for the same.So i wouldn't blame Shakuni or Yudi here

No VH wasn't preplanned nor was it planned to make Pandavs salves.Yudi did that all by himself.

Yes he did suggest Yudi to stake Drau but Yudi was a fool to accept it.Shakuni certainly didn't force Yudi to accept his offer.

Again even if we say Shakuni was some what wrong in DS his wrong is nothing in front of what Pandavas ,Karna and Dury did

Regarding stories about Shakuni's revenge on Kuruvansh not sure which version of MB is this from.I have read CE and KMG and didn't find any such story of revenge in them.Neither there is any incident that indicates Shakuni wanted revenge and wanted to destroy Kuru clan.So until i read about it in some version i wont believe in these stories.