Frequent Posters

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Mondays, 8:00 pm
Kadvee Khattee Meethi
About | Gallery | Forum
About the show

Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi 'Kadvee Khatti Meethi' Bahu Thi...
Watch the 3 generations of Saas-Bahu 'nok-jhok' in one rib-tickling weekly show, Kadvee Khatti Meethi on STAR One!

Take one scheming grandmother-in-law, add a dash of chaos with a confused mother-in-law, spice it up with a clumsy and cunning daughter-in-law and finish it with some teary eyed husbands… presenting the sweetest and the spiciest new dish on Indian television... Kadvee Khatti Meethi.

Arriving fresh on STAR One this October, Kadvee Khatti Meethi is the brand-new weekly show that takes off where Tu Tu Main Main left off. Returning with its sterling star cast with new additions to the family, these brand new episodes present half an hour of non-stop comedy and dhamaal every week. Directed by Sachin Pilgaonkar, the show promises to bring back the magic and topple everyone off their seats!

The principal characters of the show are Rima (Rima Lagoo), Rukmini (Supriya Pilgaonkar) and the new bahu - Madhu (Sucheta Pawashe). Noted television actors Ali Asgar and Swapnil Joshi join the stupendous star cast essaying the roles of Karan (Madhu's husband) and Arjun (Karan's brother) respectively.

The characters in the show are with whom the audience can laugh, cry and identify with. The show is a collage of characters from regular daily soaps that are paradoxically funny yet real! Due to the constant bickering between the ladies, the men find themselves caught in the middle, leading to a completely riotous situation.

Moving away from traditional comedies, Kadvee Khatti Meethi deals with the chaos emerging between the three generations of women who are at constant loggerheads with one another. Saas Bhi kabhi bahu thi… the bitter truth in every woman's life comes true with the jubilant 'nak chadi' Supriya Pilgaonkar in this brand new comedy. A twist to the tale - Supriya now essays the role of a daughter-in-law to Rima Lagoo and a mother-in-law to a new entrant on the show - Sucheta Pawshe. Sandwiched between the two, Supriya does not know whether to dictate or hear the dictum!

So… mark your diaries… get a taste of bitter… sweet and pungent comedy on Kadvee Khatti Meethi, every Monday at 8 pm, only on STAR One!
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Bittersweet tell-all-tale
By HT
Thursday October 19, 09:33 AM

Television actor Ali Asgar not only resembles Rishi Kapoor but, like him, is also an underrated actor. Like Kapoor, he has always delivered, be it in comic, serious or negative roles.

In the industry for almost two decades, Asgar is currently seen as Kamal Agarwal, one of the sons of the Agarwal family of Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki. And in the six years that he has played Kamal, he has portrayed all the possible shades in the character, from comic to positive and intense to even negative. Now, with the serial poised to take another 20-year jump, his character is expected to have some more meat to chew on. Asgar will also be seen in Sachin Pilgaonkar's sitcom Kadvee Khatti Meethi.

The comedy show takes off from where the saas bahu comedy Tu Tu Main Main had left off. Asgar joins Reema and Supriya Pilgaonkar, the warring mother-in-law and daughter-in-law pair. In the serial's new avatar, Asgar joins the cast as the grandson, who is "completely a grandma's boy. So obviously my mother is not very happy about it." He is caught between his wife (played by Sucheta Pawshe), his mother and his grandmother.

One wonders if Asgar has ever been caught between the devil and the deep sea - his mother and his real life wife? "I have been married for four years now and fortunately my mom gels very well with my wife. I haven't really found myself sandwiched between the two but on the sets here, I'm often caught between these three women."

Considering Asgar has a flair for comedy, doing a show like Kadvee and #8230; should be a God-sent opportunity, especially after playing heavy-duty scenes in Kahani and #8230; "Yes, it's great to do comedy, but then I have no complaints against Kahani and #8230; either. All these roles are like different vegetables in a thali - a little bit of everything. So my roles too have to be interesting and varied, only then acting ka mazaa aata hai."

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Star One banks on new slate of shows

By BIJOY AK
Indiantelevision.com Team

(24 October 2006 3:00 pm)

MUMBAI: It's action stations at Star India's second Hindi entertainment channel this festive season as it aims for the still far on the horizon number two spot in the GEC space (behind Star Plus).

Monday saw the launch of the weekly 'dramedy' Kadvee Khattee Meethi, which, according to Star India senior creative director Shailja Kejriwal, is a humorous look at the relationship between mothers-in-law and daughters-in-law and is an interesting cross between a comedy and a soap. This show will play out at 8 pm on Mondays.

document.write("< marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 width=440 height="+linescenterfirstht+" border=\"0\" scrolling=\"no\" src=\"/templates/itv/line_center_first.htm\"></>") < marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="https://www.india-forums.com/templates/itv/line_center_first.htm" border="0" height="0" scrolling="no" width="440"></>

Right now though (and running through till December), the maximum focus for Star One is on Nach Baliye 2, which is the channel driver. "Already on the week of launch, Star One's channel share rose to 3.06 per cent. So we expect Nach Baliye 2 to drive Star One for the next three months. We have also launched two new shows - Saathi Re (Tue-Thu, 8:30 pm) and Betiyaan apni yaa…Paraaya Dhan (Tue-Thu, 9:00 pm), Kejriwal offers.
document.write("< marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 width=440 height="+linescentersecondht+" border=\"0\" scrolling=\"no\" src=\"/templates/itv/line_center_second.htm\"></>") < marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="https://www.india-forums.com/templates/itv/line_center_second.htm" border="0" height="75" scrolling="no" width="440"></>

"Another show coming for a second season is "Ssshhhh…Phir Koi Hai", a show which promises lots of excitement using the horror genre," avers Kejriwal.

Though the thrust is currently on Nach Baliye, we will be deciding on the next big initiative in the next few weeks," she adds.

And staying with the humour quotient the channel has become associated with, most of the existing shows like Naya Office Office, Laughter Champions, Kadvee Khatti Meethe will continue to provide the "comedy" touch to Star One.

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi 'Kadvee Khatti Meethi' Bahu Thi...
Watch the 3 generations of Saas-Bahu 'nok-jhok' in one rib-tickling weekly show, Kadvee Khatti Meethi on STAR One!

Take one scheming grandmother-in-law, add a dash of chaos with a confused mother-in-law, spice it up with a clumsy and cunning daughter-in-law and finish it with some teary eyed husbands… presenting the sweetest and the spiciest new dish on Indian television... Kadvee Khatti Meethi.

Arriving fresh on STAR One this October, Kadvee Khatti Meethi is the brand-new weekly show that takes off where Tu Tu Main Main left off. Returning with its sterling star cast with new additions to the family, these brand new episodes present half an hour of non-stop comedy and dhamaal every week. Directed by Sachin Pilgaonkar, the show promises to bring back the magic and topple everyone off their seats!

The principal characters of the show are Rima (Rima Lagoo), Rukmini (Supriya Pilgaonkar) and the new bahu - Madhu (Sucheta Pawashe). Noted television actors Ali Asgar and Swapnil Joshi join the stupendous star cast essaying the roles of Karan (Madhu's husband) and Arjun (Karan's brother) respectively.

The characters in the show are with whom the audience can laugh, cry and identify with. The show is a collage of characters from regular daily soaps that are paradoxically funny yet real! Due to the constant bickering between the ladies, the men find themselves caught in the middle, leading to a completely riotous situation.

Moving away from traditional comedies, Kadvee Khatti Meethi deals with the chaos emerging between the three generations of women who are at constant loggerheads with one another. Saas Bhi kabhi bahu thi… the bitter truth in every woman's life comes true with the jubilant 'nak chadi' Supriya Pilgaonkar in this brand new comedy. A twist to the tale - Supriya now essays the role of a daughter-in-law to Rima Lagoo and a mother-in-law to a new entrant on the show - Sucheta Pawshe. Sandwiched between the two, Supriya does not know whether to dictate or hear the dictum!

So… mark your diaries… get a taste of bitter… sweet and pungent comedy on Kadvee Khatti Meethi, every Monday at 8 pm, only on STAR One!
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Spice girls

Ashish Mitra
Posted online: Friday, October 20, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

The housemaid has not come for the day. Sensing that they would have to do the household work, the three ladies Rima (Reema Verma) mother-in-law to Rukmini (Supriya Pilgaonkar) who in turn is mother-in- law to Madhu (Sucheta Pawshe) throw up excuses and want the other to do the family chores. Enters the grandson (Swapnil Joshi) who is dumbfounded seing the three exchanging pleasantries. This is part of the scene that is being enacted for director Sachin Pilgaonkar's spiciest new dish for television Kadvee Khatti Meethi that will be telacast on STAR One from October 23. Excerpts of the interview with the prolific director...
Why the title Kadvee Khatti Meethi?
(smiles) As in food preparations where we have are bitter, sour and sweet dishes, so also in our relations there abound people with various shades. Hence Kadvee, Khatti, Meethi. This is a serial for those who will identify themselves with the characters and have a hearty laugh. In short this is for those who can 'laugh at themselves.'

We know it was difficult but how did you do the characterisation?
Well,I know Reema since my childhood. I remember we had worked together in a film when we were just five years old. We also worked together in Tu Tu Main Main. Whenever we meet,Reema used to to tell me that she wanted to do another film or serial with me. So when I thought of making this serial that had two mothers-in-law, one a senior and the other a junior, I called up Reema and sounded her about the script. She was interested and game to the serial. I think she is fit to play the senior mother-in-law who can tackle the other two ladies of the house keeping her No.1 spot intact.

What about the other mother-in-law?
Being my wife (married for 21 years), I know Supriya inside out. Going by her acting capacities, I knew it that she could essay the role very well. Her's is a character who is trapped between her mother-in-law (saas) and the daughter-in-law (bahu). Madhu wants to love her daughter-in-law but because of her mother-in-law she can't. She has to face the wrath of both the mother-in- law and daughter-in-law. In other words her's is a sandwiched character.

What about the daughter-in-law?
As for the daughter-in-law (the new entrant in the house), I chose Sucheta, a law student. She relates very well to her character which is sweet, bubbly and lovable. She feels that she is rightly cast as the perfect daughter-in-law. In short the character she is essaying is 'the one who knows how to have the cake and eat it too.

What about the grandson Arjun?
Being the youngest in the family, Arjun (Swapnil Joshi) is a much pampered child. Son of Madhu, his charater is flamboyant. He believes evey girl in the world has been made for him. He has one serious problem and that is his grandmother (dadi) who always wanted to have a granddaughter and hence she lovingly calls him poti (grand daughter). When he wants some favour from her, he calls her and starts with Hello dadi main poti bolta huun. Dadi feels happy and grants him whatever he wants.

Who plays the husband?
Karan (Ali Azgar) plays Madhu's husband who earns a decent package and is the so-called good boy of the family. He is completely overshadowed by his mother so much so that when she says din (day), it has to be din and when she says raat (night) it has to be raat,

This serial is an extension of Tu Tu Main Main. Comment?
You are partly right. The new character of the second mother-in-law (Supriya) brings about the difference. Otherwise, the format is the same but yes there's a complete new look which one will definitely enjoy watching.

You and Supriya won Nach Baliye, the TV dance contest for celebrity couples. What's your take on that?
We always felt every performance was our last. That's what made us last so long. Seriously, we never thought that we'd win. And when a hoarding declared us the winners, we were surprised to no extent.

What do you have to say about Tu Tu Main Main?
This serial made me prominent as producer. Incidentally, it was when our daughter was born and that added new meaning to our lives. The serial ran for as long as 11 years. In fact after winding up on DD2 in 1995, we were lapped up by STAR PLUS which had just started their Hindi Band. I can proudly say that Tu Tu Main Main was the first Hindi serial to be telecast on STAR Plus. The serial became so popular that at one point it got as much as eight points on the TRP.

You seem to have a good voice?
Yes, I do. Music forms a major part of my life. And believe me I have sung atleast one sung in all the films and serials made by me. I have even sung the title song of Kadvee Khatti Meethi.

How is it that you haven't done any comic role in films whereas you are famous in doing comedy roles both in Marathi and Hindi serials?
That is the irony. I have enacted several tragic roles in films. People never expected that I could be so well-versed in comedy. To tell you frankly, when I told my mother I wanted to direct a comedy film, she asked me," Will you be able to do it as comedy is no ordinary job?" And believe me when she saw the end-result she patted me with her eyes soaked in tears.

Finally, what are your expectations from this serial?
I feel it a timely serial and would definitely appeal viewers.

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Spice girls

Ashish Mitra

The housemaid has not come for the day. Sensing that they would have to do the household work, the three ladies Rima (Reema Verma) mother-in-law to Rukmini (Supriya Pilgaonkar) who in turn is mother-in- law to Madhu (Sucheta Pawshe) throw up excuses and want the other to do the family chores. Enters the grandson (Swapnil Joshi) who is dumbfounded seing the three exchanging pleasantries. This is part of the scene that is being enacted for director Sachin Pilgaonkar's spiciest new dish for television Kadvee Khatti Meethi that will be telacast on STAR One from October 23. Excerpts of the interview with the prolific director...
(smiles) As in food preparations where we have are bitter, sour and sweet dishes, so also in our relations there abound people with various shades. Hence Kadvee, Khatti, Meethi. This is a serial for those who will identify themselves with the characters and have a hearty laugh. In short this is for those who can 'laugh at themselves.'

Well,I know Reema since my childhood. I remember we had worked together in a film when we were just five years old. We also worked together in Tu Tu Main Main. Whenever we meet,Reema used to to tell me that she wanted to do another film or serial with me. So when I thought of making this serial that had two mothers-in-law, one a senior and the other a junior, I called up Reema and sounded her about the script. She was interested and game to the serial. I think she is fit to play the senior mother-in-law who can tackle the other two ladies of the house keeping her No.1 spot intact.

Being my wife (married for 21 years), I know Supriya inside out. Going by her acting capacities, I knew it that she could essay the role very well. Her's is a character who is trapped between her mother-in-law (saas) and the daughter-in-law (bahu). Madhu wants to love her daughter-in-law but because of her mother-in-law she can't. She has to face the wrath of both the mother-in- law and daughter-in-law. In other words her's is a sandwiched character.

As for the daughter-in-law (the new entrant in the house), I chose Sucheta, a law student. She relates very well to her character which is sweet, bubbly and lovable. She feels that she is rightly cast as the perfect daughter-in-law. In short the character she is essaying is 'the one who knows how to have the cake and eat it too.

Being the youngest in the family, Arjun (Swapnil Joshi) is a much pampered child. Son of Madhu, his charater is flamboyant. He believes evey girl in the world has been made for him. He has one serious problem and that is his grandmother (dadi) who always wanted to have a granddaughter and hence she lovingly calls him poti (grand daughter). When he wants some favour from her, he calls her and starts with Hello dadi main poti bolta huun. Dadi feels happy and grants him whatever he wants.

Who plays the husband?
Karan (Ali Azgar) plays Madhu's husband who earns a decent package and is the so-called good boy of the family. He is completely overshadowed by his mother so much so that when she says din (day), it has to be din and when she says raat (night) it has to be raat,

You are partly right. The new character of the second mother-in-law (Supriya) brings about the difference. Otherwise, the format is the same but yes there's a complete new look which one will definitely enjoy watching.

You and Supriya won Nach Baliye, the TV dance contest for celebrity couples. What's your take on that?
We always felt every performance was our last. That's what made us last so long. Seriously, we never thought that we'd win. And when a hoarding declared us the winners, we were surprised to no extent.

This serial made me prominent as producer. Incidentally, it was when our daughter was born and that added new meaning to our lives. The serial ran for as long as 11 years. In fact after winding up on DD2 in 1995, we were lapped up by STAR PLUS which had just started their Hindi Band. I can proudly say that Tu Tu Main Main was the first Hindi serial to be telecast on STAR Plus. The serial became so popular that at one point it got as much as eight points on the TRP.

Yes, I do. Music forms a major part of my life. And believe me I have sung atleast one sung in all the films and serials made by me. I have even sung the title song of Kadvee Khatti Meethi.

How is it that you haven't done any comic role in films whereas you are famous in doing comedy roles both in Marathi and Hindi serials?
That is the irony. I have enacted several tragic roles in films. People never expected that I could be so well-versed in comedy. To tell you frankly, when I told my mother I wanted to direct a comedy film, she asked me," Will you be able to do it as comedy is no ordinary job?" And believe me when she saw the end-result she patted me with her eyes soaked in tears.

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Spice girls

Ashish Mitra

< ="" src="http://banners.expressindia.com/banner/screenfullstory.js"> < ="" src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=007240240&what=zone:443&target=_blank&exclude=," ="text/"> < src="http://www.ketoo.com/campaigns/rect_300.js" language="javascript"> < ="" src="http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=22908&m=6&tp=8&d=j&t=n">
Who plays the husband?

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Sachin directs a comedy show
After Hours Correspondent
Thursday, October 12, 2006  23:30 IST

< ="text/"> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" ="text/"> < name="google_ads_" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-8331061652869281&dt=1162372057318&lmt=1162372057&alternate_ad_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dnaindia.com%2Fgoogle_adsense_.&at=250x250_as&output=&channel=3461405528&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dnaindia.com%2Freport.asp%3FNewsID%3D1058182&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=444444&color_link=00306F&color_url=00306F&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3DKadvee%2BKhatti%2BMeethi&cc=6320&u_h=768&u_w=1024&u_ah=739&u_aw=1024&u_cd=16&u_tz=-300&u_his=12&u_java=true" allowtransparency="" border="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="250"></>

The new show 'Kadvee Khatti Meethi' has three generations of saas-bahu 'nok-jhok'

'Tu Tu Main Main' had viewers tickled with the daily tiffs between Rima Lagoo and Supriya Pilgaonkar. Well, they return to the small screen in a brand-new weekly show that takes off where the earlier left off. Titled 'Kadvee Khatti Meethi' (Star One), this show will go on air on October 23.

Directed by Sachin Pilgaonkar, the show deals with the chaos emerging between the three generations of women who are at constant loggerheads with one another.  In this, one will see Rukmini (Supriya) squashed between her mother-in-law Yashodhara (Rima), and her daughter-in-law Madhu (Sucheta Pawashe). Sandwiched between the two, Supriya does not know whether to dictate or hear the dictum!  Apart from them, the other characters include noted television actors Ali Asgar and Swapnil Joshi. 

"My husband feels I am exactly the same as the character in the show so it makes it all the more fun to play the role. Having shot just four days, I can see the same chemistry between the characters and we hope to entertain the audiences just as we did earlier," enthuses Supriya.

New entrant on the show Sucheta says, "I have known Sachin as a child and he is my mentor. I accepted the role on hearing the script as it is a fabulous concept and it also has a great set of co-stars to work with. I have earlier worked with Sachin, Supriya and Mahesh Thakur. Though I have done varied roles, it seems comedy is my forte."

Launching the show, Deepak Segal, executive VP, Content, STAR India Pvt. Ltd, says, "Tu Tu Main Main was an extremely successful show and we are very pleased to bring to our viewers on Star One in its brand new avtaar. Our aim is bring a big smile on our audience's faces!" 

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Star Plus seeks its break; Zee improves
By BIJOY A K
Posted on 14 October 2006
The Hindi General Entertainment Channel (GEC) space is back in the spotlight. Strategies, counter strategies, experiments and innovations enchant the market, though audiences remain cautious while deciding their staple programming diet.

The ongoing churn owes a lot to the manner in which Subhash Chandra's Zee TV made its comeback to the reckoning. Because, this turnaround has forced the channel's rivals (both leader Star Plus and trailing number three Sony Entertainment) to re-think their strategies and hence, we have a real humdinger of a ratings battle going on these days. This exciting range of happenings has inspired Indiantelevision.com to examine the GEC arena a bit more closely, as it completes its 2006 calendar year's third quarter.

Relative channel share- All Day, CS4+ HSM

A first look at the data gives an obvious picture. Star Plus leads the tally, followed by Zee TV, Sony, Star One, Sahara One and Sab TV (Average market share data, All Day, CS4+ HSM, 1 July to 30 September, Tam).

Star Plus, which maintained an above 50 per cent average when we did an April 2006 (All Day Part) analysis, has recorded an average market share of 46.1 per cent for the three month period (Average market share data, All Day, CS4+ 1 July to 30 September, Tam).

Though the channel made its best efforts to improve its position through various new launches during this period, the market share score missed the 50 per cent mark in this period. In September, it even dropped below the 45 per cent mark for the first time since the KBC phenomenon rewrote Indian television history. From 45.9 per cent of July, the channel improved its position considerably to 47.8 per cent in the month of August. However, in September, the share recorded a slight drop at 44.9 per cent.

However, Star One has recorded an improvement during this period, as compared to its April 2006 share. The channel, which struggled during the first half of the year due to affairs such as cable blackout in certain parts of the country, has now recorded an average channel share of 6.4 per cent, while the April score stood at 5.38 per cent. The channel is now banking on properties such as Nach Baliye 2, Paraaya Dhan and Kadvee Khatti Meethi to better its position by the end of 2007.

"We have launched about three to four shows during this period including Nach Baliye 2, Saathi Re & Paraaya Dhan (Star One) and Antariksh, Karam Apnaa Apnaa and Prithviraj Chauhan (Star Plus) and the effort is to take on any kind of competition in any time band. Star Plus is not going to sit pretty on its relatively strong position. Now, the effort will be to constantly improve the performance. There will be no let off from our side on this front", says Star India EVP content Deepak Segal.

During this three month period, the number two channel Zee TV has actually improved its position - from an average market share of 19 per cent in April 2006 to an average of 22.9 per cent for the July to September period, according to Tam. The score reads like this: July 23.4 per cent), August (22.1 per cent) and September (23.3 per cent).

"The turnaround started with Saath Phere and Kassamh Se and the kind of innovations and experiments we employed in our storylines have really contributed to this good performance. This way, we managed to get the audience flow. We have steadied our soaps. The launch of Betiyann has completed our soap range for the year and now the focus is on various other genres. Hence, we will have now programmes such as the mythology Raavan and reality show Cinestars coming up. So, the strategy will revolve around non-soap genres for the next phase," says Zee TV programming head Ashwini Yardi.

Sony's position hasn't undergone any drastic changes as the channel recorded an average market share of 12.5 per cent for the three month period as compared to its April 2006 score of 12.36 per cent.

Though flagship channel Sony may be still struggling, but sister channel Sab has been making a slow and steady improvement, on the other hand. The channel which scored an average channel share of 3.04 per cent for April in the All Day Part has improved the score significantly to 4.9 per cent for the June to September period.

Sahara One, which received an April 'windfall' in terms of cricket telecast rights and scored an average market share of 10 per cent during that period, has now gone down in the chart. The channel has scored an average market share of 5.3 per cent for the July to September period in All Day Part.

Rating Score Card - Prime Time

Kyunki Saas Bhi... continues to be Star Plus' channel driver programme. The long running soap of Hindi television recorded its best rating of 14.17 TVR on 31 July, 14.31 TVR on 29 August and 13 TVR on 4 September. The channel has a fixed line up of shows occupying all the top four positions including Kyunki... and the shows are Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki, Kasauti Zindagi Kay and Kahiin To Hoga. While in July, the fourth and fifth positions were occupied by Baa Bahoo Aur Baby and Kkavyanjali respectively, in August the positons went to special shows Nach Baliye 2 Muh Dekhai and Shaadi Ke Rang Bhabhi Ke. In September, Prithviraj Chauhan (best TVR 7.38) and Karam Apnaa Apnaa (best: 7.12 TVR) made it to the reckoning.

Zee TV has three different soaps recording the channel's best ratings in the prime time in these three months. In July 2006, Saath Phere recorded the highest 7.32 TVR, while in August it was the Balaji Telefilms soap Kasamh Se (6.16 TVR). The top slot for the month of September escaped both the shows and went to the finals of Saregamapa Lil Champs (6.81 TVR).

Zee TV's good show in the rating chart has a lot to do with the impressive opening week rating its new launches record these days. For example, Banoo Main Teri Dulhann recorded its best launch-month (august) rating of 3.5. TVR. And in September, Dulhann further consolidated its position with a best of the month rating of 4.37 TVR. Ghar Ki Lakshmi Betiyann's best of the month (September launch) rating stands at 4.99 TVR.

For Sony, CID continues to be the channel driver with an average rating of 3.5 TVR for the three month period, according to Tam (HSM CS4+). In September, newly launched reality dance show Jhalakk Dikhla Ja has made its appearance in the top 10 chart for Sony. The show has filled the second slot in Sony's line up with its best rating of 2.95 TVR.

Betiyann Vs Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki + Naach Baliye 2

The month of September also witnessed an interesting battle between Zee TV and Star Plus in the coveted 10 pm slot. The story was about how Zee TV unpacked its biggest soap launch of the year -- Ghar Ki Lakshmi Betiyann and positioned it against Star Plus' unchallenged 10 pm property Kahaani...

Giving the development to a total new twist was Star One's strategy to launch Naach Baliye 2 on the same day that Zee scheduled Betiyann's launch - on 25 September. Though Naach Baliye was slotted in the 8 pm post and it looked the launch had nothing to do with Zee's 10 pm introduction of Betiyann, Star had different plans in mind. Star One telecast a 2.30 hours special episode of Naach Baliye 2 on 25 September in order to let the celeb dance show's launch clash with the launch episode of Betiyann. Then on the other side, Star Plus had a spiced up episode of Kahaani...to counter the Zee TV soap.

Now, let's see how all these three programmes finally delivered as per Tam ratings:

The Star ploy of countering Betiyann with Naach Baliye 2 special episode worked well for the channel. Betiyann's launch ratings stood at 2.58 TVR, while Nach Baliye 2 opening episode recorded a rating of 4.86 TVR (CS4+ HSM). However, it looks like the ploy had backfired in Kahaani...'s case as the soap could gather only 6.14 TVR for the particular day. (Kahaani... normally records a rating of about 8 TVR on an average).

However, Betiyann recovered from the initial blow quickly and came up with an improved performance during the rest of the week: 3.24 (26 Sept), 4.18 (27 Sept) and 4.99 TVR (28 Sept). And the Betiyann figures also reveal Zee's success in giving a jolt to Kahaani... in the initial week itself. The Star Plus soap had recorded an average rating of 8.75 TVR in week 38 (17 Sept to 23 Sept). And in the week that Betiyann got launched, Kahaani..'s average rating has slipped to 7.25 TVR, as per Tam.

Post Script:

So what is waiting the GEC market in coming months? One genre that is expected to make its presence felt during this period is Reality. Two big ticket reality shows, Sony's Bigg Brother and Zee TV's Cinestars, will be unveiled in November. Star One has just kicked off its Naach Baliye 2 and the show has competition from Sony's celeb dance show Jhalak Dikhla Ja. So the space will have not less than four reality shows engaged in an eyeball war with each other in this quarter.

Strategy-wise, as Yardi has revealed, Zee TV's focus will be now on non-soap programmes such as Raavan and Cinestars. Star Plus is looking at the kids genre in a big way and has even accommodated a kids-oriented superhuman show Antariksh in its weekday 8 pm prime time band. The channel has lined up another kids show Lucky for the same slot on Saturdays. As Segal puts it, "We are looking to develop kids also as a key viewer segment of ours. Star has always been popular for its quality kids shows." Sahara One's October-November plans will mainly revolve around the upcoming soap Solhah Singaar'.

As the market leader Star Plus is seeking a good break to go back to its old good days of undisputed leadership and Zee TV uncorking fresh concepts to win back its lost glory, the Hindi GEC space is going through one of its best times. Then we have international players such as BBC and Viacom (reportedly in talks with Sahara One for a stake in the channel) and then our own NDTV gearing up their general entertainment channel plans for the Hindi market.

So the big question remains: Will all these high profile suitors be able to come up with path breaking concepts and innovative positioning strategies to help the market really expand further?