Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shah67 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: sashashyam

OK, Donjas, if the tomb argument is so weak - but I thought it was Jahangir who had her buried there as per her explicit desire,   and built the tomb in her honour, so that, it was added, she would be close to Akbar in his tomb in Sikandra - by all means let us bury it!!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Personally, I don't care a hoot whether she converted to Islam or not, or whether there really was  a Jodha--Akbar amar prem kahani  or not. I have enough to do analysing what Ekta dishes out to us for as long as my rheumatism lets me!

Shyamala

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

@Bold: Ditto for me too! Couple of reasons for it, one of them is that the real Akbar was supposed to have a big black massa on the side of his nose.πŸ˜• That is a total turn off.πŸ˜”
Thank god EK did not give Rajat's Akbar one. That would have ended the love story before it even began.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Devki
Edited by devkidmd - 8 years ago
Ash67 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Dear Shyamala aunty,

A lot seems to have happened while I was (still am) whittling away at my assignments! Came here to see how you were and found the thread on fire (sorry πŸ˜›)

Keeping in mind your advice, I do not wish to get sucked in the quicksand of forum or historical debates so will make a few quick points and run away

In fun -

-          Aunty, if we are to follow your tenets of keeping to the serial and characters, not bringing in the history, then whatever real Jodha's age and reel look age-wise, we have to accept she is 17+ at her shaadi πŸ˜‰

-          Walking the talk - Maybe the CVs strongly believe in the saying- those who can- do, those who can't - preach!!!

Just some thoughts

-          Speaking of the character, maybe since we did not enjoy the mahan version later on, we should technically rejoice in Jodha's foibles now. And, probably appreciate that the CVs 2 (Goodness, we had Rukaiya 1 and 2 then Bharmal 1 and 2. Now your Jodha 1 and 2 and my CVs 1 and 2) are quite consistent in showing Jodha, the reel character, as someone inconsistent in her sayings and doings, as someone who never thinks things through before doing something, is never into realities of life and never seems to have been groomed/disciplined/coaxed into royal decorum or into following expected norms. I think the result of a battle of contrary desires and needs (of the CVs) - to create drama, to over showcase her qualities, and to appease/ pander to current religious and political sensibilities.

-          Not speaking of the particular follies of burning the joda or trying to escape the marriage but in general. - Showing Jodha's human frailties now would be great if they show that she too grows up and evolves along with Jalal the human being and the emperor (who we have to keep in mind is not yet Akbar in reel life no matter the potential and the qualities already there. And also that, unlike us, the reel Jodha does not have the advantage of knowing where he will reach eventually. She is probably as conditioned in her hate for Jalal by her readings of Prithviraj Raso as we are now in our love for him by our readings about Akbar (not to add Rajat to that already potent mix), and her long-held image of Jalal and enmity against the Mughals). I wonder how we would look at the above mentioned follies if in committing those she had been shown (not by saying so but through a layered script and/or performance) to succumb to the need to fight the strange pull of attraction felt before knowing he was the hated Jalal, and which is still there.

-          The shartein - I agree they were much better portrayed and set up in the movie than here where the situation is so perilous and sans escape for the Ameris that they come across as escapist. I know not nor care whether this is history or NR. For me, Jodha, the one who would have and keep this Jalal's heart no matter how many wives before or after (and I do imagine it possible to love one from amongst many if that one is as unique as Jalal and matches Jalal's range of abilities. A rara avis rarer even than Rukaiya 1 in that she does not (need not) compete with the beloved but matches him strength for strength so that together they change - not to become like one another but to evolve together), would have raised the issues in the shartein. Not to escape the marriage but facing it with icy courage and a clarity of vision because that would have shown her understanding of the momentousness and the potential of that marriage and what it meant for the future. In that sense, she would be the catalyst that allowed Jalal to crystallise and express his as yet unrealised inclusive vision. 

Questions -

-          I know not the history in depth, hence the question- if the marriage was a political decision not post-war but taken to avoid war, then -since this was such a momentous decision of Jalal and his first cross-religion marriage, would these questions not arise? Would that not be part of the shaadi-talks? I mean there can be no prevalent norm about it if this was the first ever such event to take place, can there? And if there was a contrary precedent, more the possibility of the issue being brought up, maybe not directly by Jodha, but the go-betweens?  

-          As for real Jodha's conversion - if we accept that the marriage was a politically strategic decision by Akbar to win over Hindus, how would he manage that by allowing Jodha's post-marriage conversion? And if he is (real and reel) the great, rare-for-his-times secular and progressive ruler that we admire so much, if he had that vision from the beginning without any outside influence or need for it, then  - would he impose or follow the norm that the wife must convert to the husband's religion? And as a Shehenshah, would he give in to any such demands by conservative subordinates?

Hold your belan Aunty. I am done! Now running away to my essay in hand before you pull me up and shoo me away (rightly so and with all the rights)!

Please do not respond to this post till your fingers are well rested.

Warmest Regards

AshwineeπŸ€—

Edited by Ash67 - 8 years ago
Shah67 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ash67

Dear Shyamala aunty,

A lot seems to have happened while I was (still am) whittling away at my assignments! Came here to see how you were and found the thread on fire (sorry πŸ˜›)

Keeping in mind your advice, I do not wish to get sucked in the quicksand of forum or historical debates so will make a few quick points and run away

In fun -

-          Aunty, if we are to follow your tenets of keeping to the serial and characters, not bringing in the history, then whatever real Jodha's age and reel look age-wise, we have to accept she is 17+ at her shaadi πŸ˜‰

-          Walking the talk - Maybe the CVs strongly believe in the saying- those who can- do, those who can't - preach!!!

Just some thoughts

-          Speaking of the character, maybe since we did not enjoy the mahan version later on, we should technically rejoice in Jodha's foibles now. And, probably appreciate that the CVs 2 (Goodness, we had Rukaiya 1 and 2 then Bharmal 1 and 2. Now your Jodha 1 and 2 and my CVs 1 and 2) are quite consistent in showing Jodha, the reel character, as someone inconsistent in her sayings and doings, as someone who never thinks things through before doing something, is never into realities of life and never seems to have been groomed/disciplined/coaxed into royal decorum or into following expected norms. I think the result of a battle of contrary desires and needs (of the CVs) - to create drama, to over showcase her qualities, and to appease/ pander to current religious and political sensibilities.

-          Not speaking of the particular follies of burning the joda or trying to escape the marriage but in general. - Showing Jodha's human frailties now would be great if they show that she too grows up and evolves along with Jalal the human being and the emperor (who we have to keep in mind is not yet Akbar in reel life no matter the potential and the qualities already there. And also that, unlike us, the reel Jodha does not have the advantage of knowing where he will reach eventually. She is probably as conditioned in her hate for Jalal by her readings of Prithviraj Raso as we are now in our love for him by our readings about Akbar (not to add Rajat to that already potent mix), and her long-held image of Jalal and enmity against the Mughals). I wonder how we would look at the above mentioned follies if in committing those she had been shown (not by saying so but through a layered script and/or performance) to succumb to the need to fight the strange pull of attraction felt before knowing he was the hated Jalal, and which is still there.

-          The shartein - I agree they were much better portrayed and set up in the movie than here where the situation is so perilous and sans escape for the Ameris that they come across as escapist. I know not nor care whether this is history or NR. For me, Jodha, the one who would have and keep this Jalal's heart no matter how many wives before or after (and I do imagine it possible to love one from amongst many if that one is as unique as Jalal and matches Jalal's range of abilities. A rara avis rarer even than Rukaiya 1 in that she does not (need not) compete with the beloved but matches him strength for strength so that together they change - not to become like one another but to evolve together), would have raised the issues in the shartein. Not to escape the marriage but facing it with icy courage and a clarity of vision because that would have shown her understanding of the momentousness and the potential of that marriage and what it meant for the future. In that sense, she would be the catalyst that allowed Jalal to crystallise and express his as yet unrealised inclusive vision. 

Questions -

-          I know not the history in depth, hence the question- if the marriage was a political decision not post-war but taken to avoid war, then -since this was such a momentous decision of Jalal and his first cross-religion marriage, would these questions not arise? Would that not be part of the shaadi-talks? I mean there can be no prevalent norm about it if this was the first ever such event to take place, can there? And if there was a contrary precedent, more the possibility of the issue being brought up, maybe not directly by Jodha, but the go-betweens?  

-          As for real Jodha's conversion - if we accept that the marriage was a politically strategic decision by Akbar to win over Hindus, how would he manage that by allowing Jodha's post-marriage conversion? And if he is (real and reel) the great, rare-for-his-times secular and progressive ruler that we admire so much, if he had that vision from the beginning without any outside influence or need for it, then  - would he impose or follow the norm that the wife must convert to the husband's religion? And as a Shehenshah, would he give in to any such demands by conservative subordinates?

Hold your belan Aunty. I am done! Now running away to my essay in hand before you pull me up and shoo me away (rightly so and with all the rights)!

Please do not respond to this post till your fingers are well rested.

Warmest Regards

AshwineeπŸ€—

How do you do it Ashwinee? How do you and Preeti say things that I want to but in such a more eloquent and clear manner? I am always bumbling around looking for the right words.πŸ˜•

Lovely post.πŸ‘

Devki
Ash67 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: devkidmd

How do you do it Ashwinee? How do you and Preeti say things that I want to but in such a more eloquent and clear manner? I am always bumbling around looking for the right words.πŸ˜•

Lovely post.πŸ‘

Devki

Thank you, Devki, for this lovely compliment. Kind as always! I love the ease with which you write and keep wishing I could do that. Always straight from the heart! And as to finding words,  it is just that I am quite warmed up for the exercise at the moment with all the essays that I am writing. πŸ˜³ I would not wish that on anyone. 

πŸ€—
Ashwinee

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Did he have a large wart or mole like that? I  did not know, for it is not shown in the miniatures of Akbar. In any case, he was nowhere near as good-looking as Rajat or Hrithik, and we do not know what the real Jodha really looked like, so I suppose love was blind (and deaf too, if she made anything like as many bhashans as she does here!)πŸ˜‰

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: devkidmd

@Bold: Ditto for me too! Couple of reasons for it, one of them is that the real Akbar was supposed to have a big black massa on the side of his nose.πŸ˜• That is a total turn off.πŸ˜”
 Thank god EK did not give Rajat's Akbar one. That would have ended the love story before it even began.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Devki

Originally posted by: sashashyam

OK, Donjas, if the tomb argument is so weak - but I thought it was Jahangir who had her buried there as per her explicit desire,   and built the tomb in her honour, so that, it was added, she would be close to Akbar in his tomb in Sikandra - by all means let us bury it!!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Personally, I don't care a hoot whether she converted to Islam or not, or whether there really was  a Jodha--Akbar amar prem kahani  or not. I have enough to do analysing what Ekta dishes out to us for as long as my rheumatism lets me!

Shyamala

ghalibmirza thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
interesting discussions on what might have happened in reality! sometimes i think it would be so nice to know the truth but to dig out the treasure almost 500 years ago is next to impossible!..the translation from persian script to english or hindi might have changed some facts based on individual interpretations and all that original treasure must be somewhere well kept in libraries or museums! who will ever know about akbar's personal relations..as the harem was a very secretive place and whatever happened there how can an outsider know? i think most of them are just speculations but shyamala as you said analyzing what ekta dished out in her initial episodes is no less than a roller coaster rideπŸ˜‰
Edited by ghalibmirza - 8 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
My dear Ashwinee,

Now this is an original, though your sentences are at times even longer than mine and, with the assorted parentheses, need very careful disentangling!πŸ˜‰ I am just joking, child, for I enjoyed the exercise thoroughly. You have almost reconciled me to Jodha 2, and that is quite an achievement!

See how right I was in coaxing you to start commenting on the threads! It would have been a huge pity to hide such a light under a bushel!

My comments parawise are in blue,as always.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: Ash67

Dear Shyamala aunty,

A lot seems to have happened while I was (still am) whittling away at my assignments! Came here to see how you were and found the thread on fire (sorry πŸ˜›) You would also have noticed that I am not engaged in any fire-fighting exercise!πŸ˜‰

In fun -Not really, kid, they can be taken quite seriously too.

-          Walking the talk - Maybe the CVs strongly believe in the saying- those who can- do, those who can't - preach!!! Exactly. 

Just some thoughts

Exactly (again)! And I would not have minded Jodha's reckless self-centredness if only she had not made all those high sounding  statements to her father earlier. Then one could have written her off as an untamed filly, eternally hot at hand and just tailormade for the equally hot at hand Jalal. But the inconsistency in her sayings  and doings, when it can have such horrendous consequences, is not something one can tolerate.

-          Not speaking of the particular follies of burning the joda or trying to escape the marriage but in general. - Showing Jodha's human frailties now would be great if they show that she too grows up and evolves along with Jalal the human being and the emperor (who we have to keep in mind is not yet Akbar in reel life no matter the potential and the qualities already there. And also that, unlike us, the reel Jodha does not have the advantage of knowing where he will reach eventually. She is probably as conditioned in her hate for  Jalal by her readings of the Prithviraj Raso as we are in our love for him by our readings about Akbar (not to add Rajat to that already potent mix), and her long-held image of Jalal and enmity against the Mughals). I wonder how we would look at the above mentioned follies if in committing those she had been shown (not by saying so but through a layered script and/or performance) to succumb to the need to fight the strange pull of attraction felt before knowing he was the hated Jalal, and which is still there. Where is it? They never show it, and strangest of all, not even the normal sensual attraction for a very handsome and desirable man. They never show Jodha fighting either attraction.

Now this para, my dear, is the toughest of all to disentangle! Never fear, I have managed it.

But there are two problems with your appealing theory, or rather proposal.

I do not know what the Prithviraj Raso has to do with Jodha's perceptions of Jalal, unless you assume that she clubbed him with Mohammed Ghori as a  bloodthirsty monster who destroyed her hero. I am not going into the far too mahaan follies of Prithviraj in letting  Ghori off the first time, for that would derail my comments here. You might  even be right in the clubbing together assumption, for that is what the CVs themselves seemed to be doing in the first 3 episodes! But for Jodha to believe that deception and betrayal was a Mughal-Afghan monopoly, she would have to forget Jaichand, would she not?

No, the real problem is that  Jodha's frailties are not acknowledged as such by the script.They are simply plonked in and  her mahaanta continues unchallenged.

The second is that after the face in the water, and face she sees with her eyes closed  fantasies in the palace in Amer,  Jodha is never shown being troubled, or pulled two ways, by her unspoken attraction to the face in the water. In fact that dreamy obsession is not even shown later, when they are both admittedly in love with each other. It is as if it was forgotten, and that was one of the loveliest leit motifs in the whole story!

So, for anything like the very attractive option you propose to materialise, you would have to rewrite the whole of Jodha, 1,2 or whatever. And if one was to do that, there is a lot more that I would want changed!

I agree with this in toto, but again that would need a different Jodha. Not just this self-satisfied sarvakalavalli, who can sing like  a nightingale, cook like Nala,  fence like Jalal,  is praveen in archery, can outwit the Iranians in trading skills, and of course is as skilled in medicine and lep-making as Dhanavantri. And so on and on and on, but who has no commonsense and no logic, and worst of all, no understanding of the human heart and its frailities.

Your Jodha would have to have the breadth of political  vision needed to understand what Jalal's vision was in promoting this marriage. This one does not even understand the momentous nature of what he does in Kali Maa mandir, when he places his head at the feet of the goddess.

Questions -

There were no go-betweens,  and Bharmal, both in the film and in the serial, has only one concern, not to upset the apple cart and (re)endanger Amer. He assumes that Jodha would have to change her religion, as part of the wifely subservience that would be demanded of her in any marriage, and all the more in this one. Here, he is startled and dismayed when Jodha sets out her sharts.

No, the Shahenshah  would not have given in to complaints from the mullahs, but the real significance of the marriage was political. Jodha's changing her religion as a matter of course would not have  reduced  its importance, for the roti-beti ka rishta would have been a momentous breakthrough regardless.

The real public impact of Akbar's broad-minded and inclusive policies on the mind of the his Hindu awaam would have come with the lifting of the pilgrimage tax and the jaziya.

However, to revert, if after the marriage, Jodha  had made a quiet request to  Akbar, I am sure he would have been liberal enough to have accepted it. Which is very likely what happened. Putting it as a shart, a demand which says take it or leave it,  challenges Jalal, and also humiliates Bharmal, for it shows him as a king who cannot even control his daughter.

No belan, child, for you have outlined the kind of Jodha I would have wanted too. Unfortunately, she is a mrigtrishna.

I once wrote of my hope  that she would look at her magnificent husband with radiant pride and say, as Cleopatra said to Caesar,  "But for you, the world is full of little men!". That was at least more feasible even with these CVs, but that too was a mirage, alas!

Please do not respond to this post till your fingers are well rested. Well, they were when I started this, but  they are so no longer, so I shall call a halt to this exercise!

Warmest Regards

AshwineeπŸ€—

Edited by sashashyam - 8 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Dear Prem,

I agree with almost all that you have said here. My comments are in blue.

Shyamala

Originally posted by: myviewprem

Episode 34: Opening gambits

Jalal ka sar 

Kal tak jo hamara  sar kaatna chahte the, ab wo zindagi bhar hamare saamne sar jhukaye khade rahenge!

The truth is that indeed Man Singh, Bhagwan Das, Bharmal etc were indeed subservient in relationship to Akbar. But Akbar could never imagine the one he thought would become his ghulam- Jodha was a sherni and would ultimately make him her ghulam in long run. Akbar must have never heard of the phrase fall in love and boy did he literally fall πŸ˜‰ in love with jodha

Jodha - I am not sure if the family does not say who is her groom do the other maids, ministers etc not know its akbar and sooner or later why this fact never reached her. And what is this blind belief that whoever her husband is will fight and defeat mughals?

I mean can a small province prince with 20000 or maximum 50000 army defeat a mughal force that runs into almost lakhs of soldiers(easily 2-3 lakhs with all vassal states added) and with their superior artillery and rockets capacity and the superior training(having been at war on and off for decades) all hardened war veterans. Why excatly did mughals win? Because they had superior technology and war veterans who had seen and faced wars in different terrains and obivously the numbers too.

But here i disgaree with family hidding this from jodha. And jodha should grow up war is not a doll play or solganeering. Its about tactics, weapons and numbers. Bharmal must have been afraid that if she learnt the truth ahead of time she might have run away! But I agree 100% about the need for Jodha to grow up and smell the coffee! I do not think the Ameris could have had 50000 soldiers. 15000 would be more like it!

And Jodha thinks mughals want to stop her marriage- as if emperor of india has no other work than stop her marriage

The most charming vignette:

Man Singh-  With his antics of keeping sword of Jalal's neck Man Singh looks like a carbon copy of jodha too much pride and talk no real brains. Yes, in one of my older posts, I described him as a pocket version of Jodha. He is unnecessarily rude and offensive; I have noted this during the joothi churana episode.

No wonder in future jalal orders and he obeys its like boss and employee relation

Man Singh learn some tactics from your grandpa Bharmal - see how easily he solved sujamal cum sharifuddin cum akbar the jallad cum other rajputhana shatru problem in one stroke a marriage of his daughter to Akbar Yes, for such a harassed looking, pot-bellied chap, he really pulled it off!

The Tilak ceremony:

Tilak ceremony had so much symbolysim- an powerful emperor lowering his head in front of a hindu rajputh queen, a mughal putting tilak on his forehead etc

More than mynavati this tilak was all about symbolism of hindu - mughal unity

The Muhdikhayi

Mudikahyi was a shocker to jodha i must say- i thought she will faint in dramatic bollywood style seeing jallad jalal as her dulha in reflection or better still start a bashan to her bapusa on the dusth mughal and jallad ka saar etc dialogues. But she ran off giving Akbar the upper hand initially in this wedding

Kanya paksh:

Bharamal was scared after his putri landed him in trouble running off from mudikhayi cermony. But fear not bharamalji, shahenshah e hind is secretly smitten by tari ladli jodha πŸ˜‰ and shall not go aag baboola or declare warrr πŸ˜†

Episode 35: Imperial flush

Jodha completely forgot that a couple of days back her 3 brothers were prisoners and all that and immediately went and burnt the shaadi ka jodha - is that no abshagun - mynavati never told jo anything what a surprise?

Jodha comes across as a immature bigdel shezadi  reminds me of Katherina of the Taming of the shrew. Akbar does one better on Petruchio in this one.

Jodha goes on saying one thing doing another- she says she will do anything for amer and family and next day she burns the marriage clothes. She then comes up with another trick to ask akbar to allow kanha mandir in agra fort and not change her religion. But Akbar gets one top of her like Petruchio in the Taming of Shrew play. Exactly.

This more of a Tom and Jerry Show here going on one better than other  

Do i see a man hell bent on revenge on the bigdel shezadi - no i see a mad lover out to attain his love at any cost(and a one sided love affair here)

I think even if Jodha would have humiliated Maham or shouted at Akbar he would have still gone ahead with wedding this is one junoon lover hidding behind facade of taking revege on bigdel shaadi or raputhana relationship etc

So there was Jalal the possessive lover out to get lady love at any cost
  I do not think Jalal knows at this stage what he feels for Jodha. It is also more possessiveness right now than love. But he does want, secretly, that she should not depise him but should care  for him.
Episode 36: Wedding blues

The Wedding: Sight of the day:

The wedding had a few memorable moments

1) Akbar acknowledging he has no father- the slight worry line in jodha or pity at a man not having a father - first signs of sympathy

This is  a very interesting nuance that I had missed.  But how would that have come as a surprise to her and the other Ameris? If his father was alive, he would be the Shahenshah,  not Jalal!

Of course later, Jodha attributes all of her patidev's failings to his having been deprived of his Ammijaan's laalan paalan during his formative years. I of course shudder at the thought of what he might  have turned out like if he had had this laalan paalan!πŸ˜‰

2) Adham Khan doing arthi of Jodha - atleast he was not leaching at jodha like sharifuddin

3) Akbar grasping jodha's hand in ceremony quickly- possessive lover has his lady love officially now

4) A way to brides heart is thru her family rather thru the grooms saali's - akbar immediately starts wooing saali's to get in good books of jodha his new bride (that is one clever lover or husband)

5) Jodh's face as she accepts akbar as her saath janam ka pati parmeshwar and akbars face as she says that 

Was there such a vow? I heard her simply to say that he had become her pati  and she his vadhoo  her poorva janmon ke vidith karmon se. Nothing about the futureπŸ˜‰. It is there in the film, of course.

Donjas thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Your posts are like garnish to a dish. They embellish Shymala's post. Never got a chance to thank you personally. So, thank you.

Now waiting eagerly for Shymala's post on Thursday. Plenty of talking points there, with sharp knives and tasty chicken. You will have a lot of material to work with.

Originally posted by: harrybird

β€οΈ       β€οΈ

Shah67 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ghalibmirza

interesting discussions on what might have happened in reality! sometimes i think it would be so nice to know the truth but to dig out the treasure almost 500 years ago is next to impossible!..the translation from persian script to english or hindi might have changed some facts based on individual interpretations and all that original treasure must be somewhere well kept in libraries or museums! who will ever know about akbar's personal relations..as the harem was a very secretive place and whatever happened there how can an outsider know? i think most of them are just speculations but shyamala as you said analyzing what ekta dished out in her initial episodes is no less than a roller coaster rideπŸ˜‰

Well, scientists are researching Dinos that roamed the earth millions and millions of years ago (and they just left us some fossils not written material). We are talking about something that happened a mere 500 years back.

So it is not impossible just a little more legwork than most of us have the time or inclination to put in.
Some things may be lost in translation but there is enough material to cross check facts if one wants to.
As for personal relations, obviously one cannot know for certain but there is  enough out there to at least make an educated guess.

Devki
Edited by devkidmd - 8 years ago