Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: Kalgi22

Really I had a good reading. Thank you so much Abhay and Radhika. 

Most welcome Kalgi. :)

SindhuMenon thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I missed reading this Abhay...Going to read later today. Thanks much
Shah67 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: history_geek

Devki,

So, you also noticed the similarity of Salim and Daniyal's face.

Overall, everything was fine in the show as you said, in broad terms. But, one thing which was really off-track were the "thoughts of Salim".

The REEL Salim did not want the throne. ;-P

On the other hand, the REAL Salim left no stone unturned to get the throne, and went to great extent. The other instalment dealing with this issue is under preparation.

You are right. Reel Salim only wanted Anar's love and nothing else.๐Ÿ˜†

Devki
Edited by devkidmd - 8 years ago
AngelDara thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
thank u so much abhay  and radhika akka for this wonderful post 
had  a great time in  reading
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: SindhuMenon

I missed reading this Abhay...Going to read later today. Thanks much

Sindhu,
Do give a look. I am sure you will enjoy it.
I found it short, to-the-point and quite informative.

Bond_7 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Quite interesting and informative post๐Ÿ˜Š
Thank you Abhay and Radhika๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The initial statement was indeed a tricky one๐Ÿ˜† but was made clear later.
What surprised me was Akbar declaring 12-year old Murad as commander,though nominal and the amount of zeal and confidence Murad exhibited.(In our show,the victory against Mirza Hakim was given to Salim๐Ÿ˜›)

Was the imprisonment of Mirza's sons for the life time?Hope it is not.

Salim requesting Akbar to name his son(Khurram) and the portrait where Salim is seen bowing at Akbar's feet show the respect but the question is was it out of genuine love and respect or a mere formality.

All the other details abt Murad's passive revolt,Akbar's love for Khasrau and Khurram's succession were worth reading too๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Thanx again๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by Bindu_nhbr - 8 years ago
history_geek thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bindu_nhbr

Quite interesting and informative post๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you Abhay and Radhika๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The initial statement was indeed a tricky one๐Ÿ˜† but was made clear later.
What surprised me was Akbar declaring 12-year old Murad as commander,though nominal and the amount of zeal and confidence Murad exhibited.(In our show,the victory against Mirza Hakim was given to Salim๐Ÿ˜›)

Was the imprisonment of Mirza's sons for the life time?Hope it is not.

Salim requesting Akbar to name his son(Khurram) and the portrait where Salim is seen bowing at Akbar's feet show the respect but the question is was it out of genuine love and respect or a mere formality.

All the other details abt Murad's passive revolt,Akbar's love for Khasrau and Khurram's succession were worth reading too๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Thanx again๐Ÿ˜Š

Bindu,

Mirza Hakim had 2 sons, both remained in captivity throughout their life, and died in captivity.
Their condition was worse then beggars, especially the way Jahangir treated them. His grandsons were also in prison right upto the end of Jahangir's reign , remained in the Gwalior prison for around 2 decades. {From Tuzuk, Vol-2, Pg-203, Ed. Rogers, 1914} .

As Radhika said in the post, imprisoning them from Akbar's or Jahangir's POV can be taken as fine, because, they were also the potential candidates for throne.

But what i did not like is - The worse treatment given to those sons and grandsons of Hakim. When Akbar's uncles and father were struggling for the Mughal throne - Akbar was spared by his uncle.

It was their custom not to involve the kids while deciding the winner of throne. And this custom is something which i appreciate in the Timurids. They kept kids away from the throne related fight.

Akbar was born in 1542. From 1542 to 1544, he stayed in the house of his uncle Askari under the care of his wife in Kandhar . In 1544, Humayun attacked Kandhar as he had promised the fort of Kandhar to the Shah of Persia. Then, Askari transferred Akbar to the care of Kamran in Kabul. Kamran handed over Akbar to his wife and Khanzada Begum - sister of Babur. Later, after capturing the for of Kandhar with Persian help, Humayun attacked Kabul also.

When nothing seemed in sight, then Kamran tried to use Akbar as a human shield but he did not do anything. He surrendered the fort to Humayun and escaped. Akbar was united with his parents.

Did you see, both Askari and Kamran are called "treacherous" brothers of Humayun. They had even helped Sher Shah Suri against Humayun. BUT, they did not BREAK their custom, and did not harm or kill Akbar.

They could have easily done so while Humayun was wandering for help, but despite fighting against Humayun, those brothers did not harm Akbar in those 3 years. On the other hand, he was kept under the care of the wives of these brothers.

But, this sacred custom was broken by Akbar HIMSELF only by imprisoning Mirza Hakim's sons, and later by Jahangir with the grandsons of Hakim, and even later given the "practical" demonstration by Shah Jahan when he came to throne by not only imprisoning but also eliminating the male members, and the same was done by Aurangzeb with Shah Jahan and his brothers.

We skipped mentioning all this on blog post as that was not needed, and now also mentioning only your answer, not the details of that treatment. :)

The portrait which you are mentioning is from Akbarnama, as far as i know when Jahangir was a kid. So, it can be seen as affection of a son for his father, during his childhood.

Thanks Bindu.
Good to know that the post was helpful. Hope i answered your queries well. :)

Bond_7 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Bindu,

Mirza Hakim had 2 sons, both remained in captivity throughout their life, and died in captivity. Their condition was worse then beggars, especially the way Jahangir treated them. His grandsons were also in prison right upto the end of Jahangir's reign , remained in the Gwalior prison for around 2 decades. {From Tuzuk, Vol-2, Pg-203, Ed. Rogers, 1914} .

As Radhika said in the post, imprisoning them from Akbar's or Jahangir's POV can be taken as fine, because, they were also the potential candidates for throne.

But what i did not like is - The worse treatment given to those sons and grandsons of Hakim. When Akbar's uncles and father were struggling for the Mughal throne - Akbar was spared by his uncle.

It was their custom not to involve the kids while deciding the winner of throne. And this custom is something which i appreciate in the Timurids. They kept kids away from the throne related fight.

Akbar was born in 1542. From 1542 to 1544, he stayed in the house of his uncle Askari under the care of his wife in Kandhar . In 1544, Humayun attacked Kandhar as he had promised the fort of Kandhar to the Shah of Persia. Then, Askari transferred Akbar to the care of Kamran in Kabul. Kamran handed over Akbar to his wife and Khanzada Begum - sister of Babur. Later, after capturing the for of Kandhar with Persian help, Humayun attacked Kabul also.

When nothing seemed in sight, then Kamran tried to use Akbar as a human shield but he did not do anything. He surrendered the fort to Humayun and escaped. Akbar was united with his parents.

Did you see, both Askari and Kamran are called "treacherous" brothers of Humayun. They had even helped Sher Shah Suri against Humayun. BUT, they did not BREAK their custom, and did not harm or kill Akbar.

They could have easily done so while Humayun was wandering for help, but despite fighting against Humayun, those brothers did not harm Akbar in those 3 years. On the other hand, he was kept under the care of the wives of these brothers.

But, this sacred custom was broken by Akbar HIMSELF only by imprisoning Mirza Hakim's sons, and later by Jahangir with the grandsons of Hakim, and even later given the "practical" demonstration by Shah Jahan when he came to throne by not only imprisoning but also eliminating the male members, and the same was done by Aurangzeb with Shah Jahan and his brothers. </font>

We skipped mentioning all this on blog post as that was not needed, and now also mentioning only your answer, not the details of that treatment. :)

The portrait which you are mentioning is from Akbarnama, as far as i know when Jahangir was a kid. So, it can be seen as affection of a son for his father, during his childhood.

Thanks Bindu.

Thanks a lot Abhay for the detailed answer ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Its really a disturbing fact that Akbar had broken the custom of not involving kids in the fight for throne when the very custom was reason for his existenceHis successors followed his path in this and actually surpassed him ๐Ÿ˜ก 
The worse treatment to their own blood is disgusting and I'm afraid even to imagine the plight of those unfortunate children.

I didn't know about Akbar being protected by Humayun's brothers.They stood firm and respected the custom even in the difficult situations. This is commendable ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 

Akbar ill treated Mirza's sons and his sons,Murad and Daniyal predeceased him.What goes around comes around.
Edited by Bindu_nhbr - 8 years ago
ayushimehra thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Bindu,

Mirza Hakim had 2 sons, both remained in captivity throughout their life, and died in captivity.
Their condition was worse then beggars, especially the way Jahangir treated them. His grandsons were also in prison right upto the end of Jahangir's reign , remained in the Gwalior prison for around 2 decades. {From Tuzuk, Vol-2, Pg-203, Ed. Rogers, 1914} .

But, this sacred custom was broken by Akbar HIMSELF only by imprisoning Mirza Hakim's sons, and later by Jahangir with the grandsons of Hakim, and even later given the "practical" demonstration by Shah Jahan when he came to throne by not only imprisoning but also eliminating the male members, and the same was done by Aurangzeb with Shah Jahan and his brothers.

Thanks Bindu.

Abhay, thanks for clearing, Hakkim sons, i also asked this  in blog, so post there also, one episode shown jodha Akbar, Kamran wants to kill, Little Jalal or Maham saves him.

Shah67 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I understand that it is disturbing to think that Akbar imprisoned his nephews in prison but we need to keep things in perspective here. We are talking about the brutal 16th century and not soft as cotton 21st.

If we start applying 21st century sentiments to the 16th century there are very very few things that we are going to find right.

Keeping MH's kids in prison was IMO a very practical step taken by Akbar. Their father was made the figurehead by religious rebels and declared as the ruler while Akbar was heading towards Bengal or some other place was he not? Abhay may be able to verify this. I am not sure.

Keeping that in mind it was imperative that he imprison any pretenders to the throne.

Akbar was the one who truly formed the Mughal Empire, not Humayun or his brothers. Why should he not do everything to protect it for his sons?

We do not know how good little Akbar was treated by his uncles do we? And Kamran did make him a human shield. How is that not evil?

To say that Akbar set a precedent by imprisoning his nephews is not right in my opinion. Imprisoning someone and murdering is two different things.

Imprisoning and executing pretenders was not something unusual or unheard of. It was the way it was back then. History is littered with examples. We cannot sit in the 21st century and pass a judgment on what happened back then.

Edited by devkidmd - 8 years ago