Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: zorrro

Yes that is what is important so why carry the idea that those who serve in the rural areas are specially passionate about their work? πŸ˜† The number of patient seen by a doctor in a govt hospital  in any city far outnumber those seen by a rural doctorπŸ˜‰  satisfaction factor would be more in a better equipped hospital with proper infrastructure for treating patients than a mere referral centre in a village.😊

The point is not if your a rural or urban doctor, it's about being a doctor and the passion behind it. A real doctor will happily work in any environment as long as he get to do what he is passionate about, treating the patients. 
Satisfactions is never measured on materials things but rather on the means...

Originally posted by: -Aarya-

The point is not if your a rural or urban doctor, it's about being a doctor and the passion behind it. A real doctor will happily work in any environment as long as he get to do what he is passionate about, treating the patients. 
Satisfactions is never measured on materials things but rather on the means...

That is what I was also saying. If a doctor is passionate about TREATING his patients he would like to have the best possible means for treating them.  Why would anyone deliberately choose to work in restricted conditions where the facilities for treatment would be minimal? It is not about measuring satisfaction on material things but on achievements ie treatment results. Just because someone happens to be working in poor conditions does not necessarily make him more passionate about his work. 
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

That is what I was also saying. If a doctor is passionate about TREATING his patients he would like to have the best possible means for treating them.  Why would anyone deliberately choose to work in restricted conditions where the facilities for treatment would be minimal? It is not about measuring satisfaction on material things but on achievements ie treatment results. Just because someone happens to be working in poor conditions does not necessarily make him more passionate about his work.

You make good points. What you are not considering is that in India close to 70% of the population lives in rural areas. And, of the hundred thousand or so government doctors available in India, more than 60% work in urban areas. As you can see, it's a bad distribution. The shortage of qualified doctors is far greater in rural areas compared to urban areas.I don't have the stats on private doctors but I can hazard guess that they too prefer to work in urban areas.

You are right in that treating a patient should provide gratification regardless of where the patient is situated. But the fact that more doctors prefer to stay in the urban areas to practice and more positions sanctioned for medical staff in rural areas are lying vacant, indicates that some thing other than "treating a patient" is swaying the doctors, nurses, midwives, lab technicians, paramedics and their kind to stay put in urban areas. Now, it could be better facilities, quicker access to supplies, more money, some of these or all of these and more. We don't know.

In that sense, we cannot definitively say which is more noble - working in rural areas or working in urban areas. I am not even sure if the word "noble" applies to any profession anymore. As long as they are ethical, I am fine with it.

In a way, this is similar to why some people choose to leave the country and settle abroad. It could be for money, it could be to avail better infrastructure, it could be for higher education, it could be for a better law and order, it could be for a better lifestyle, or it could be for a hundred other reasons. Only those who are leaving would know. But we can't find fault with those leaving; similarly we can't find fault with doctors preferring urban areas.

But we would have some appreciation for those who are capable of leaving the country, deciding to stay back and halting the brain drain. Similarly, I think we would appreciate those who voluntarily serve in rural areas. For the simple reason that the people in rural areas are under-served when it comes to healthcare.

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
It will be unfair to judge doctors for wanting to work in urban areas, when almost every other person employed in other professions also want to be settled in big cities. Edited by souro - 8 years ago
Agree with you, Mr. K. Preferring comfort is not a vice, but that doesn't mean that the one who renounces it for a good cause, should not be admired. 
That being said, its primarily the Government's responsibility to introduce drives and schemes to improve infrastructure in the rural areas. Well-meaning doctors who serve in rural areas often end up unable to save a critical patient because of equipment/medicinal shortage, and has to face the unfair fury of the deceased's family. But with the healthcare budget getting the chip, I don't see much hope.
Arwen11 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
@dia - your thoughts on #Shahidkishadi?πŸ˜›
I thoroughly enjoyed it.So elegantly done. Juat wish she wasn't so young but jb mian biwi razi...

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

In that sense, we cannot definitively say which is more noble - working in rural areas or working in urban areas. I am not even sure if the word "noble" applies to any profession anymore. As long as they are ethical, I am fine with it.
It wasn't about which of the two is more noble but about passion their towards their work. I dont see why someone working in a urban set up is to be considered less passionate.

But we would have some appreciation for those who are capable of leaving the country, deciding to stay back and halting the brain drain. Similarly, I think we would appreciate those who voluntarily serve in rural areas. For the simple reason that the people in rural areas are under-served when it comes to healthcare.

True. All the same it would do well to bear in mind that not all who serve in the rural areas are doing so willingly or passionately. As far as wanting to uplft the rural areas or serving their interest goes I would think that someone exposed to better infrastructure in the urban set up could contribute better towards bringing about a change should they desire. It is easier to gain academic, political and admnistrative visibility by those in key positions ( not possible in rural areas) and then have greater impact by affecting policy changes that are favourable to the rural areas. Large no. of areas can thus be benefitted rather than a handful of people. Not trying to belittle the rural doctors contribution in any way but just trying to point out that it should not be taken for granted that only those stationed in the villages can help their cause and those away  cannot or do not  contribute. If there is a will to do something the person can do it from miles away and if there is no will then person sitting next to you may be just as useless 

Edited by zorrro - 8 years ago

Originally posted by: souro

It will be unfair to judge doctors for wanting to work in urban areas, when almost every other person employed in other professions also want to be settled in big cities.

Very true. In fact people from all professions will have to contribute eg good roads, electricity, tele communications, security, law and order before good health services can be truly implemented by the doctors. 
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

It wasn't about which of the two is more noble but about passion their towards their work. I dont see why someone working in a urban set up is to be considered less passionate.

True. All the same it would do well to bear in mind that not all who serve in the rural areas are doing so willingly or passionately. As far as wanting to uplft the rural areas or serving their interest goes I would think that someone exposed to better infrastructure in the urban set up could contribute better towards bringing about a change should they desire. It is easier to gain academic, political and admnistrative visibility by those in key positions ( not possible in rural areas) and then have greater impact by affecting policy changes that are favourable to the rural areas. Large no. of areas can thus be benefitted rather than a handful of people. Not trying to belittle the rural doctors contribution in any way but just trying to point out that it should not be taken for granted that only those stationed in the villages can help their cause and those away  cannot or do not  contribute. If there is a will to do something the person can do it from miles away and if there is no will then person sitting next to you may be just as useless

I will put it this way. Say, I am mobilizing military forces. Specifically, I need personnel for ground forces (army) and personnel to support the ground forces from air and space (air force). For logistical reasons, I need more personnel on the ground than in air.

Say you are interested in joining the military. You are passionate about contributing to the military might of your country. You are qualified to join the ground forces (army) as well the air force.

You may have your reasons to join the air force. But if I need you to be on the ground, would you still serve or wait till a position becomes vacant in air force? The answer to that question might throw some light on what exactly you are passionate about.

P.S: this analogy may not be fool proof but I think it will serve its purpose.

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
@arweno - Mixed feelings. Dil hai ki maanta hi nahi.."woh ho sakti thi, toh main kyon nahi?!" :P Happy for the chap, took him the longest time to get over Bebo.

@souro - are you still in s'pore? So damn impressed with the place! Never seen a more systematic country ever..just WOW! Totally blew me over!