Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

You may have your reasons to join the air force. But if I need you to be on the ground, would you still serve or wait till a position becomes vacant in air force? The answer to that question might throw some light on what exactly you are passionate about.

@ the conditionality in bold-  Say  I would join subject to the condition you mentioned . would that really indictate passion for the work?  
There could be different reasons for joining besides the condition you  mentioned. The ide of raining down bullets on the enemy may appeal but on getting a vacancy I may want to apply for the airforce. The passionate appeal you make regarding your need for me to join the ground forces could also sway my decision 😆 So how exactly would it determine my passion for the work itself 😕
Edited by zorrro - 8 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: zorrro

@ the conditionality in bold-  Say  I would join subject to the condition you mentioned . would that really indictate passion for the work?  
There could be different reasons for joining besides the condition you  mentioned. The ide of raining down bullets on the enemy may appeal but on getting a vacancy I may want to apply for the airforce. The passionate appeal you make regarding your need for me to join the ground forces could also sway my decision 😆 So how exactly would it determine my passion for the work itself 😕

The inference ("passionate or not") is not apparent because we are being ambiguous about the proposition ("passionate for work"). It has to translate to its underlying objective.

If the objective is to "defend the country as a member of the armed forces" or to "care for the patients as a doctor", qualifying / limiting that objective by conditionally working towards that objective ("I will defend the country as a member of the armed forces provided I get into the air force" or "I will care for the patient as a doctor provided I get to live in the urban areas" will only serve to dilute that stated passion. Passion is a compelling, overpowering emotion. For whatever reasons, if you limit it, it can safely be concluded that you are not as passionate about the original objective as you think you are.

Your priorities, your affinities, your situation, your comforts, your background, your prejudices, your fears are all conditions that limit your passion.

if the need exists, a truly passionate person would take the opportunity to work towards fulfilling his/her passion. I established that the need exists for doctors in the rural areas in real life as also a need for foot soldiers in my hypothetical scenario. By "waiting it out", the doctors and you are misrepresenting your positions ("we are passionate but ...")

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I have had my fill with Muslim extremists and terrorists. I just can't take their crap anymore. Maybe something is wrong with them, maybe something is wrong with their upbringing, maybe they are easily brain-washable, maybe they have issues, maybe there are only a "few", maybe not, I don't give a damn anymore. My gut instinct says, the rest of the 'sane' world is reaching a tipping point as well, as far their "shenanigans" are concerned.

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

. By "waiting it out", the doctors and you are misrepresenting your positions ("we are passionate but ...")

If someone chooses to wait it out it could be considered as an indicator of  a lack of passion. But  Aarya's test  for a doctor being passionate   about his work was about  giving up an established practice for serving in the rural areas. That was what I objected to. A person having an established practice in the city may be equally passionate about his work without having to move onto a village. Are engineers , scientists, lawyers, bankers, teachers, traders who work in cities less passionate about their work than their rural counterparts? 
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

If someone chooses to wait it out it could be considered as an indicator of  a lack of passion. But  Aarya's test  for a doctor being passionate   about his work was about  giving up an established practice for serving in the rural areas. That was what I objected to. A person having an established practice in the city may be equally passionate about his work without having to move onto a village. Are engineers , scientists, lawyers, bankers, teachers, traders who work in cities less passionate about their work than their rural counterparts? 

Z, the question was if a person is passionate about being a doctor, would they work for free...e.g doctors without borders..

Originally posted by: -Aarya-

Z, the question was if a person is passionate about being a doctor, would they work for free...e.g doctors without borders..

many of them do work for free by giving medical advice for free and  also free treatment to the poor. But not sure if you expect them to be working free all the time to prove their passion 😛. As against this how many chartered accountants, lawyers , hoteliers and other professionals do you know who are known to provide free professional advice or service? according to your logic if they are passionate about their work be it  accounting, justice, feeding or lodging they should be doing it for free but we don't get to see that happening too often. Does that indicate lack of passion towards their work?  🤔
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

many of them do work for free by giving medical advice for free and  also free treatment to the poor. But not sure if you expect them to be working free all the time to prove their passion 😛. As against this how many chartered accountants, lawyers , hoteliers and other professionals do you know who are known to provide free professional advice or service? according to your logic if they are passionate about their work be it  accounting, justice, feeding or lodging they should be doing it for free but we don't get to see that happening too often. Does that indicate lack of passion towards their work?  🤔

It's really a question about should fame and fortune get in front of your passion? If one had to choose between either or, what would they choose,  regardless where they lived or in which environment they worked under...

Edited by -Aarya- - 8 years ago

Originally posted by: -Aarya-

It's really a question about should fame and fortune get in front of your passion? If one had to choose between either or, what would they choose,  regardless where they lived or in which environment they worked under...

You seem to have presumed that fame or fortune obstructs the doctor from following his passion of treating patients.😛 It is very much possible for a person to have it all without sacrificing either. 
Patients are found all over regardless of where you live or work. It is possible to serve with fulll sincerity wherever you live. Why assume that only a person who works in deprivation is passionate about his work? He may have long term plans and not just a stint in a remote village which anyway he may not be averse to but given a choice would prefer conditions that are more friendly to his family future as well as his own aspirations for skill upgradation and greater and wider impact on healthcare in general without having a specific population  preference that you seem to suggest.
fame and fortune can be put to good use for better health care and should not be considered as an obstacle or a sign of lack of passion. Is it even possible to succeed and gain fame without being passionate about one's work? It takes a lot of hard work to get there!😊
Bertibotfanatic thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Passion gives perfection
Perfection will increase the demand.
Demand to increase the value.
 Value ultimately gonna fetch fame and fortune... 

[QUOTE=Bertibotfanatic]Passion gives perfection
Perfection will increase the demand.
Demand to increase the value.
 Value ultimately gonna fetch fame and fortune... 

[/QUOTE
Well said buddy 👏 😛
Why turn away from it? Its like saying if you are a doctor and true to your profession you got to be living in dire conditions to prove your dedication to your work. Just imagine if all the good doctors were to decide to live only in the rural places how would we have the modern health facilities that we flock to? The required infrastructure simply does not exist in the villages to run them.😊