Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

@Krystal - Oh, 100% agree there. But let's compare and contrast. A potential president spewing venom about building a wall at the border and making Mexicans pay for it vs. an (ex) UKIP leader demonising refugees in a Leave poster, causing such public outrage that even the Leave campaigners wanted nothing to do with him. Unlike those vids you see online of people openly supporting Trump, try publicly announcing your support for UKIP and you'll be greeted with nothing but disgust by almost everyone. (unless maybe, if you live in Barking and Dagenham, that somehow got the BNP in lol)

True that, Dia. That's what I said-- being PC is like a physical organ of your body if you've lived long enough in the UK. All the colonial guilt accumulated from over 200 years had to have some deeply visible ramifications. πŸ˜› Sort of like how Charlie Hebdo freely lampoons Islam, but feels the need to fire an employee who trash-talked the Jewish religion (Semitic persecution guilt)Similarly in the UK, the PC police take extra care to be sensitive towards South Asians. Cultural and historical context matters.

Though going by the same logic, people in the USA should've stopped celebrating Thanksgiving over Columbus' Red Indian massacre, and put a break to 'Asian' jokes after the impact of the Nuclear Holocaust on Japan. But that didn't happen. Guilt seems to have taken root only where Black people are concerned, but even there people crack racist jokes with comparatively more abandon than in the UK. I wonder what causes this huge cultural difference.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thought it was pretty clear it was just an analogy someone posted on Tumblr, not an ultimate source of information. Not too sure why that's funny, but erm, OK. Talk about major dissection of an anology lol

Just to make it clear - I agree, essentially all lives (or if we're still going with the above analogy, bones) do matter - hispanic, black, white, asian etc. The point here is that the black community (the broken arm) are often treated as disposable, of less value..and that's the problem. American society (the doctor) traditionally priviliges white people (the rest of the bones)

Let's take a recent example in the news given you're clearly not a fan of Tumblr - Brock Turner. How long do you think the sentence would've been if it was a black/POC male, also an "athletic swimmer". Would the same leniency have been extended? If the judge who gave the sentencing's record is anything to go by, clearly not. So clearly, there's a case here where those supporting the BLM movement feel that the entire system is against them (police, judges/the legal system, most definitely the media) Tamir Rice, Sandra Bland to name a few..victims of this system and yet to see justice. In all likelihood, probably never will.

Analogy galore...
https://m.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3du1qm/eli5_why_is_it_so_controversial_when_someone_says/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

The attorney explains that the policeman fired as a reaction to display of the gun and not race. 

Since the citizens have a right to possess firearms for their protection it is ironical that the mere sight of the gun caused such an exaggerated  reaction that multiple deadly shots were fired to kill the possessor without any clear perception of threat.  Difficult to say if the policeman would have panicked similarly had it  been a white man instead. If the GF had possessed a gun  would she be within her rights to shoot the policeman in self defense  as a perceived threat? The Gun culture seems to have a wide acceptance!

With growing sense of injustice , protests are bound to follow.  Working out effective means of peaceful  protest can be quite a challenge. Mass protests in the form of processions can never be guaranteed to turn out peaceful. With charged emotions , safety in numbers and almost zero accountability it takes very little for a mob to turn violent. Even the ablest of leaders would find it very difficult to control a mob  frenzy. 
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Thought it was pretty clear it was just an analogy someone posted on Tumblr, not an ultimate source of information. Not too sure why that's funny, but erm, OK. Talk about major dissection of an anology lol

Just to make it clear - I agree, essentially all lives (or if we're still going with the above analogy, bones) do matter - hispanic, black, white, asian etc. The point here is that the black community (the broken arm) are often treated as disposable, of less value..and that's the problem. American society (the doctor) traditionally priviliges white people (the rest of the bones)

Let's take a recent example in the news given you're clearly not a fan of Tumblr - Brock Turner. How long do you think the sentence would've been if it was a black/POC male, also an "athletic swimmer". Would the same leniency have been extended? If the judge who gave the sentencing's record is anything to go by, clearly not. So clearly, there's a case here where those supporting the BLM movement feel that the entire system is against them (police, judges/the legal system, most definitely the media) Tamir Rice, Sandra Bland to name a few..victims of this system and yet to see justice. In all likelihood, probably never will.

Analogy galore...
https://m.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3du1qm/eli5_why_is_it_so_controversial_when_someone_says/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

it's OK if you don't want to respond to me directly; I am not chatting either. I am just trying to find what I think is faulty logic.

If an an analogy is proffered to advance a point which is being contested even before the analogy was made, I believe a dissection of that analogy is justified.

As for the "reddit" article, if the phrase "black lives matter" actually means "black lives matter too", then why can't "all lives matter" mean "all lives matter too"?

I get the underlying sense of injustice.Somehow blacks lives are being trivialized by all these killings by cops so, yeah, "black lives matter too". But then, we already pointed out that white lives are being lost too in cops' killings. Hispanic lives are being lost too, in cops' killings. So where's the sense of injustice there? Does the heart beat only for blacks? Shouldn't all lives matter too?

Seems to me that some of the folks talking about trigger happy cops are not worried that cops are trigger happy when it comes to all. Their only concern is that cops are trigger happy when it comes to blacks.To me, that doesn't sound right.

K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

If the GF had possessed a gun  would she be within her rights to shoot the policeman in self defense  as a perceived threat?

Hell no!

Even pointing a toy gun at a cop is suicide. In fact, there are many who choose that path - easy, "painless" death by cops. You may Google "suicide by cop" to find out more.

K.Universe. thumbnail
150 pages!

Couple of suggestions for the next thread

• Tittle-tattle
  • DM Lounge
  • Chat Salon
  • Idle brain
  • Tired of debating? Take refuge here!
  • K's corner :)
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Portugal wonnnπŸ₯³
Also, big shout out to Brock lesnar for winning UFC match as well. His speech in the end was kinda cute. 

Did we just hit 150 page, New thread..finally!!

I am tempted to talk about Black lives matter, but mind too occupied by Kashmir. Perfect example why I said our Home Ministry is one of the most incompetent ministries of this Govt.
K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Heisenberg17

How about the 'M' word? πŸ˜†

Who? Muhammad Ali? You want the thread to go to Jahannam? What dd DM ever do to you?

πŸ˜†
_Angie_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Hell no!

Even pointing a toy gun at a cop is suicide. In fact, there are many who choose that path - easy, "painless" death by cops. You may Google "suicide by cop" to find out more.

Too bad... whatever happened to the principles of equality for all !  Mere possession proved to be suicidal in this case. Didnt have to even point it.

Whats with the ? replaced by i
_Angie_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: Heisenberg17

How about the 'M' word? πŸ˜†

Nooo...The M word would make it go in fast fwd mode. Too fast for my comfort !   Imagine going through pages and pages of "sinful idle talk" to get to replies to your own post ...only to read that the topic needs to end ! πŸ˜†

Right now, since chat thread seems to be the thread most of the debates/discussions/ spamming and trolling is taking place we may as well call it DM-2.

If I have to choose from the list above Id go with the second in blue.