I don't know the budget of Hamari Adhuri Kahani: MOHIT SURI

Thrasher thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

Mohit Suri is currently riding a crest of success with three back to back blockbusters - Murder 2, Ek Villain' and Aashiqui 2'- but doing so quietly. From the economy filmmaking school of Mahesh & Mukesh Bhatt, the director believes in making good, entertaining cinema within a reasonable budget & scale. In fact, surprisingly, he doesn't even know the budget of his film! He says, "I don't know what the budget of Hamari Adhuri Kahani' is, I just know it costs lesser than Ek Villain'. I am not worrying about what a ratings agency projects it's first day collections at; yes I am worried about if the film will be accepted. There's certain amount of morality that I have addressed with this one, and I hope people accept that."

Ask him about the backlash against failed expensive films, specifically, Bombay Velvet, and pat comes the reply, "We also celebrated films like Tanu Weds Manu Returns' & Piku' equally. That's the nature of the times we are making films in. I guess what you are saying is the nature of the times we are living in. I don't think people are judging these films by their 100 crore mark but rather because they are good films. As filmmakers, we technically sit there and talk to the audiences for 3 hours and tell a story, so they can like you or hate you. That's the nature of the business we are in... When you go into that whole circle of lets make a 100 crore budgeted film to make more than 100 crores,' that's when a film faces huge criticism on failure. But if you go out there to make a good film, people don't view your film like that.

Mohit Suri's Hamari Adhuri Kahani', starring Vidya Balan, Emraan Hashmi & Rajkummar Rao, will release across India this Friday.