Mohit Suri: I dont make films to enter the 100cr club

ablazedmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago
I don't make films to enter the 100 crore club

Diksha Jawle
May 31

Just ahead of his upcoming release Humari Adhuri Kahani, Mohit Suri collaborated with world's leading music company, Universal Music Group which has launched a new label EMI Records India. This new venture marks the return of the world famous EMI label to India. In a tte--tte with the Managing Director and CEO of Universal Music Group South Asia Devraj Sanyal and filmmaker Mohit Suri...

What prompted a successful music label to collaborate with a Bollywood filmmaker?
Devraj Sanyal (DS): EMI Records has been an epic label in the industry for over 100 years and when we wanted to bring it back to the country, we wanted to do it differently. We couldn't find any one with better track records whose films has been delivering not one but many hits songs in the last decade than Mohit (Suri). So I guess it was very logical decision.

How will this new platform cut across the filmy and non-filmy musical genres?
DS: We wanted to create a new generation platform which would be completely accessible for anyone and everyone. EMI Records was bought together to create this absolute bridge based on the song, the artist based and the talent. Thus, allowing the song to come on a platform and go where it is destined.

How exactly do you think this first-of-its-kind partnership will impact the music and filmmaking industry?
Mohit Suri (MS): Somehow, I think the music industry is independent and that the filmmaking business is connected to the music industry. It needs the music industry to survive. We cannot imagine Hindi movies without music. You simply can't take away the music from Indian film industry. What I genuinely believe is that EMI Records is trying to find artists' own voice and nurture them rather than telling them what to do and not.

How does it feel to be a part of a successful music label?
(MS): What Devraj and his team offered was a spectacular platform. It is what I always wanted to do; search new talent and give them a new platform. For a director, some movies do well while some don't.

But particularly in your case, the music in your films has not only been successful but also super hits.
(MS): I never had a luxury of a big star cast. So that is when I started working very hard on my film's music so that probably, we stood a chance somewhere. I have never tried out to make super hit songs but cull out song which is right for the situation. What I personally believe is that you cannot make one thing again and again. If I go to the same music director for my every film, I think our music launch would get monotonous. Experimenting with new ideas, new films, and new cast, mixing and matching brings out new colours. Movies like Aashiqui 2 and Ek Villain have changed the game entirely for you and have put you into a different league altogether.

So do you think Humari Adhuri Kahani will bag you again into the 100cr club?
(MS): I don't make films to enter the 100 crore club. In fact, the minute you do that, you find yourself repeating. What is interesting to me is that after doing a young love story, a thriller with a young star cast and now a mature romance, I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying not being stuck to one thing.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
What is interesting to me is that after doing a young love story, a thriller with a young star cast and now a mature romance, I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying not being stuck to one thing.
Making tragedies in different shapes & forms totally defines versatility Mohit Suri ๐Ÿ˜†
-Phantom- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I wish more filmmakers had that approach of not dying to enter 100 crore club. 100 crore clubs define two things: star power and marketing power. It's the silver and golden jubilees that actually tell you the power of the box office and preferences of the audience. And we hardly ever hear of those anymore, do we? Edited by Emmjay - 8 years ago
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Emmjay

I wish more filmmakers had that approach of not dying to enter 100 crore club. 100 crore clubs define two things: star power and marketing power. It's the silver and golden jubilees that actually tell you the power of the box office and preferences of the audience. And we hardly ever hear of those anymore, do we?

They get publicity due to 100 crore clubs.

And can earn more, get bigger actors.

Can't avoid its lure.

Jubilees are rare. Few films did complete silver jubilee like 3I, Wanted, Ghajini, Dabangg for example.
-Phantom- thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

They get publicity due to 100 crore clubs.

And can earn more, get bigger actors.

Can't avoid its lure.

Jubilees are rare. Few films did complete silver jubilee like 3I, Wanted, Ghajini, Dabangg for example.

Agreed. But what I said still holds. These clubs don't tell you about audience preferences much. It's all about the initial splash now. But I guess that's a worldwide trend.
Edited by Emmjay - 8 years ago
bollykudi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I'm not sure why he makes movies period. It surely isn't to express his inner creativity. Every single movie he has made has been a copy of another film ๐Ÿ˜•
Neela-Paani thumbnail
Bailing himself out already I see!!๐Ÿ˜‰

OT,100cr club isnt a cake walk.If DBB,BV etc werent proof enough,there are many examples waiting in the wing๐Ÿ˜‰.Answers to all those who mocked and discredited the 100cr success stories of commercial ventures like EV,A2 etc in the past.Very sad pseudo intellects only form 5% or less of Indian population๐Ÿ˜›
Edited by Neela-Paani - 8 years ago