Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sjam thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
A year has gone by since you began this story! Congratulations, I hope you've enjoyed every moment of it!
KryanVirikaLuv thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago

Chapter 16 |

"There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me.''

-           -     Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Manvi was pacing about the room, looking uncharacteristically agitated.

"What's wrong?" Jeevika inquired, looking up from her notes.

"It's nothing," her sister said absently, pulling out her phone, grimacing at it and then throwing it on her bed.

"Clearly, it's something. Did you fight with Virat?" Jeevika teased.

Manvi's expression said it all.

"Wait, you did?" Jeevika sat up, concerned. Daily squabbles were one thing, but a fight was another.

"If we did, it's news to me too," Manvi replied darkly, "He hasn't spoken to me all day."

"Maybe he's busy?"

"He hasn't responded to any of my texts and he avoids me in the hallways."

Jeevika frowned pensively, "Are you sure you're not overreacting, I mean...just wait till tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be fine. Did you get into an argument recently?"

Manvi shrugged helplessly, "Only the usual. And then he hinted about making us official. I don't know what the hell is going on."

"Don't worry," Jeevika soothed, "Maybe he's having a rough day. In fact, if you're bothered so much by it, maybe you should search him out and confront him."

"No," Manvi said obstinately, "I'm not talking to him till he talks to me first."

Jeevika sighed, "The two of you are just so stubborn-" Her words were cut off as Charlotte flung open the door.

"Charlie?"

"Hey, Jeevs, could I talk to you for a minute?" her friend asked distractedly.

"Sure, what's up?" Jeevika rose from her bed to go into the hallway outside of the room.

Charlotte took a deep breath, "Okay, first of all, promise you won't get mad?"

"Charlie, why would I get mad?" Jeevika said slowly.

"Please, just promise."

She sighed, her curiosity and concern for her friend winning out, "Okay, fine. What is it?"

"I'm dating Manny." The words came out in a rush.

"You...what?" Jeevika wasn't entirely sure she'd heard correctly.

"He asked me out on a date after the party and he was so sweet and kind and-"

"Wait, hold on, Charlie," Jeevika calmed her friend down, "So he asked you out after the party? After he apologized to me?"

"Yeah. He wants to go out to dinner."

"As friends? Or, more?"

"More. I think."

Jeevika felt a little uncertain, "Charlie, don't get me wrong, I love you and all and Manny is one of my closest friends, but don't you find it a little odd that he asked you out so recently after he asked me? Have you guys even hung out that much without me around?"

Charlotte shook her head mutely.

Jeevika didn't like this. By all appearances, it looked as though Manny had only asked Charlie out for the sake of it. Not because he was attracted to her, although the notion was possible, but just to have a girlfriend. Or, to make Jeevika feel jealous, although the idea was rather pretentious on her part. Still, it didn't feel right. The two just weren't suited to each other.

"Charlie," Jeevika began calmly, "Are you sure this is what you want? I mean, you guys have never been close...isn't it possible that neither of you have genuine feelings for each other?"

Charlotte looked disconcerted. "Jeevika, I've never been on a date before, never been asked out before. I don't think a guy has ever found me attractive enough before to take any notice. You're gorgeous, you have no idea what that's like. If this works out, then it works out. But, you have no right to judge me," she shook her head sadly.

"Charlie, I didn't mean it like that-" Jeevika said, troubled.

"It's fine, Jeevika, I know you're only looking out for me. But I need to make my own decisions for myself, don't you think?"

Jeevika forced a smile to her lips and nodded, giving her friend a hug, "You're right. I hope everything works out for you guys."

Charlotte smiled back, giving her a little wave before walking away. Jeevika hugged her arms to her chest, hoping her friend had made the right choice.

A week had passed and Jeevika was extremely concerned for her sister's relationship. She could clearly see that Virat had been avoiding Manvi of late. He spoke to her if necessary, but didn't prolong conversations and they certainly didn't spend any time alone together. Unfortunately, Manvi was too proud and stubborn to actually confront him about it and so, group interactions were made a little awkward by the falling out.

What worried Jeevika the most, however, was Manvi herself. Her little sister was rarely tormented about a guy; normally, it was the guys who were tormented over her. But Jeevika had realized that Manvi cared for Virat a lot more than the rest, she'd certainly never behaved this way before.

She could hear her muttering under her breath about him as she stared at her phone, using some of the choicest, foulest words in her vocabulary.

"It's my fault," Jeevika said finally.

Manvi looked up, nonplussed, "What?"

"I should've warned you away from him, I should've realized-"

"Di," Manvi rolled her eyes, "I can make decisions for myself. You need to stop mothering everyone."

"But, I encouraged-"

"Di, I honestly don't wanna talk about it. It's fine. I'll get over him, he's not worth my time or effort."

But, Jeevika was fully aware that Manvi's casually tossed words belied her deeper hurt. She felt guilty as well. Virat had made it perfectly clear the type of guy he was the moment he had first made that comment to Manvi, drunk or not drunk. And Jeevika had forgiven him the moment he apologized? There had been no foundation to that judgement other than the fact that he had a cheerful demeanour. She was an idiot.

"You didn't...um..." Jeevika wasn't sure how to phrase it delicately.

Manvi looked up and caught sight of her expression, "Sleep with him? No, thank God."

"Ah. Well, that's good then," Jeevika replied, painfully reminded of the time Beeji had given them the "birds and the bees" talk. "It's possible then, that something just went wrong and he-"

"Di," Manvi sighed, dropping a kiss on her head before leaving, "It's fine. Don't worry about it."

It wasn't fine, though. Jeevika couldn't stop thinking about it even as she got ready for the university's student and parent council meeting. She was one of the students chosen who would speak and debate with the benefactors of the university over what the university students needed more of and what was working well in terms of the clubs and activities and dormitories.

She made her way to the meeting room a little earlier than the required time, when the door opened and she bumped into someone coming out.

"I'm so sorry-" she began, and looked up to see Viren Vadhera.

Viren looked down at Jeevika, slightly bewildered. Why was it that no matter where he went, she was bound to be there as well? She looked beautiful as always, in a denim collared blouse and a skirt, her hair fixed in a ponytail.

"What are you doing here?" she blurted.

"My aunt is a benefactor. I just came to drop her off, I'll be waiting outside."

"Oh," was all she said in return. And then in a rush, "Virat's not here is he?"

Viren winced slightly. "No. No, he's not."

"Ah. Umm...okay. Haven't see him around that much," she said awkwardly.

Viren stayed silent. Someone opened the door again and without thought, he pulled Jeevika away from it, towards him. His back hit the wall. Jeevika looked up at him, wide-eyed. She was far too close.

"Viren?"

He inwardly cursed, letting go of her to face his aunt.

"Yes, Badi Maa?"

Swamini Vadhera was a tall, imposing woman in her late forties. She didn't cut her hair short, but rather preferred to leave it long, dyed its customary black. She always made sure she was at the height of fashion as well, tailored in an expensive yet becoming cashmere sweater and skirt, flashing tall Michael Kors boots. She had probably been considered quite pretty in her youth, although over the years her features had hardened slightly.  At the present moment, she was eyeing Jeevika as one might scrutinize bacteria though a microscope.

His aunt smiled at him, "I just wanted to tell you that the meeting will be over in two hours, so you can pick me up then." She turned to Jeevika, "Hello, dear, I don't think we've met? I'm Swamini Vadhera, Viren's aunt."

Jeevika looked slightly uncertain, but held out a hand to shake anyway with her usual unassuming charm, "I'm Jeevika Chaudhary, one of the students for the meeting."

"Lovely." Swamini gave her a single, upswept glance, "Same year as Viren, is it?"

"Yes," Jeevika nodded, "My younger sister, Manvi, is in the same year as Virat." She gave Viren a speaking glance.

"How wonderful," Swamini continued to smile in an artificial manner. Viren was relieved to see Jeevika had not been cowed as yet. He loved his aunt dearly, but she could...well...take a little time to get used to. And she loved to critique and offer advice, whether the person on the receiving end sought approbation or not. "Tell me, dear, what are some of your suggestions for today?"

Jeevika stood her ground, replying confidently, "The other students and I were discussing the gender exclusivity in sororities and fraternities. We don't believe it's fair to discriminate individuals from joining a particular group, especially not in today's generation."

"However, the gender exclusivity is part of tradition, is it not?"

Viren rather felt like he was standing in the midst of a tennis match.

Jeevika countered, "It's traditional yes, but outdated. Whether you're male or female, you can still share similar interests. And then you have to take into consideration those who fall into the label of being transgendered. What then? What if an individual who was biologically male but identified as female, wished to join a sorority? It's just more logical to get rid of the barriers. We aren't asking for all the fraternities and sororities to be completely open, but we definitely want to encourage in giving the leaders' the choice of whether to make their rules a little more flexible."

"You give your opinion very decidedly for such a young person," Swamini raised an eyebrow.

"I'm twenty-one," Jeevika smiled, "The same age as your nephew who drove you to this meeting. I can legally vote and get married. I'm considered responsible enough at this age to drink and possess alcohol and sign my own documents. I'm an adult and so, I'm considered old enough to make my opinion count."

Swamini looked a little taken aback. Viren was amused. He doubted anyone had ever spoken to his formidable aunt so directly, yet intelligently in her life.

"Shall we go in for the meeting?" Jeevika suggested, holding the door for Swamini to enter first.

Viren shook his head, smiling slightly as he walked away. Jeevika was trouble for him but he loved it anyway.

Viren returned half an hour early to find Jeevika prepping for her presentation behind the stage. She spun around at the sound of his footsteps. "Why are you here?"

"Looking for my aunt," he lied.

"There's still at least a half hour left," Jeevika pointed out, "She probably went to the washroom or something. We took a break from the meeting."

"Getting heated?"

"Your aunt likes to give out her own ideas and opinions, which is what we want," Jeevika chose her words carefully.

His aunt wasn't quite as willing to receive them, he knew very well, which made debates a little difficult. While she gave Viren and Virat a great deal of freedom, when she made up her mind on something, that was the end of the discussion.

"It's better than offering none, though, I suppose," Jeevika continued archly.

"Advice is only useful if needed," he pointed out defensively.

"Do you have any for me?"

He leaned back against the wall, "Don't back down from what you believe in."

She looked charmingly surprised, "I needed that?"

"You needed to hear it," he countered.

"Nice," she laughed, "Now Virenji is having a conversation with me."

"Virenji?"

"You're so serious and formal all the time, you need to be teased every once in a while."

"I have Virat for that."

"And now me," she said without thinking, then flushed slightly and turned back around. "I really need to practise this."

He sat down on a stool as Jeevika practiced her speech. Halfway through, she broke off and glanced at him wryly, "Are you trying to make me forget my lines by watching me? Scare me off from facing your aunt?"

"I don't believe you scare easily," he smiled in return.

"No? What about you?"

"I'm not afraid of you," he responded softly, although that was not the question.

She looked up at him and he caught his breath. A small shaft of light had peeked through, alighting her dark hair to golden brown, her face cast in shadow, yet her eyes as bright and keenly searching as always. Breaking down his defenses.

Yes, he was in big trouble indeed.

He was falling in love with her.

A/N: I know a lot of you are waiting for a big confession...but all I can say is you'll have to keep reading to find out. πŸ˜› But whoohoo, Viren's finally realized his own feelings for Jeevs! 

Riddhi_S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Fabulous! Loved Swamini's And Jeevika's Encounter. Fierce Jeevika Is Amazing! And Viren! I Could Totally Imagine His Expressions! Loved The Update.

Finally Viren Realises His Feelings For Jeevs. Can't Wait To Read More. Hope You Update Soonish.

What's Up With Virat and Manvi? I'm Curious About It Too. Waiting To See If Viren and Jeevs Gonna Play Any Role In Their Love Affair?! Also You Flawlessly Described Swamini's Personality. Can't Wait To Read How's Her Character Gonna Go Along The Story.

Hope You're Well.
Take Care.

PS~ I'm First! After Ages!
PPS~ Even The New Beginnings Update Was Fabulous! Will Try Commenting Soon! Edited by RiddhiShetye - 7 years ago
Petal.28 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I had 1000 watt smile plastered on my face while reading this. 
I am completely in love with this story and these characters. 

VIREN AND JEEVIKA ... 

I am sorry for not commenting more often. IF refuses to post my comments and posts sometimes. Idk if this will get posted either. 

But I love your work. Completely! ! 
I just wish you update more often. 

Keep writing. 
Much Love. 
Pankhuri! :*
Sjam thumbnail
*Trumpets blowing* "Lady Vadhera has arrived!"
Yes! Here is our Lady Catherine De Bourgh! Loved the way you introduced her! Swamini Vadhera is tailor made to be Lady Catherine! Can't wait to see how often she comes with her air of condescension.
I love love love this version of Jeevika. Jeevika in EHMMBH was very submissive and rarely spoke up, she was very similar to Jane, I guess. But I love this Lizzie in her! I can't wait to see more of it.
Manny and Charlie, things will be fine I guess because Manny here is not the insufferable Mr.Collins. 
Manvi! Poor Manvi! We need justifications, but I know we have some time before that.
And now of course for Viren, he's been in trouble for a long time, but he's realized it now. What is he going to do? But only time will tell I guess...
I didn't think you would do this because this is set in Toronto, and not India, but I liked the 'Virenji' you added there, I hope to see it more often because I think what is one of the major things that made Virika so adorable was how Jeevika always coyly called out for her Virenji.

On a completely different note, I loved the issue that you brought up that Swamini and Jeevika debated on. It's very important. Transgenders have been discriminated worldwide and it's time it stopped. It's unfair to blame someone for there chromosomal defects, because it's simply not their fault. I agree, people should be allowed to choose the gender they associate with, even though they might be biologically born differently.  I also think that one should join a fraternity/sorority based on interests.
Nice to see you talk about such topics in your stories. 

Update soon!
pinky.padda thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
yay
viren is in love
totally happy
superb update
loved it
adoomy_krystle thumbnail
Omg, finally I got the time to comment!πŸ˜› πŸ˜ƒ

This update was amazing! I wonder wats going on with virat, he keeps ignoring manvi! Hope nothing happens between the two! Omg jeevika turned out to be confident, which is so cool to read! It's different from the old jeevika as she was all quiet and shy but this jeevika can speak for herself and I think that's why viren likes her! Waittt! Did I just read that he is "falling in love with her" Omggg! Finally!!! Was waiting for this to happen! I'm so excited to read more:) He's feeling for her has finally come out! Pheww! Now the confession is awaiting! Haha:)

Omg this update just made my day as you already know I had a bad day:) This update made me smile so much, I luved it! I got to see more virika scenes in it ;) lol The ending though was the best! Eeks.. viren is falling for jeevika!!! 

Thank you so much for such an awesome update!! It was a pleasure to read it!! Luved itttβ€οΈβ€οΈπŸ‘ Update Soon xxx
Edited by adoomy_krystle - 7 years ago
Rj_Kryanite thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
U amazing writer ... Whatvwords,what dialogues ... Different emotions .. I felt like d scene is happening in front of me ... Wayyy to amazing serah .. Update sooonest
cuteariya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
thumbs up wala update πŸ‘πŸΌ
oh hell manny asked Charlotte out for date 😲
look like Charlotte is serious abt manny πŸ€ͺ
but jeevika understand that manny want to make her jealous with Charlotte
Charlotte misunderstand jeevika for moment what a idiot girl she is 😑
now what's wrong with virat?why he is avoiding manvi? πŸ˜•
uff jeevika felt guilty for encouraged manvi for virat
wow senior lady vadhera & jeevika encounter was interesting πŸ‘
viren was amused by jeevika's confident πŸ‘πŸΌ
wow viren falling in love with jeevika πŸ˜ƒ
continue plz
Nishtha.Relan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Such a Wonderful Update...
And here i am as always the late one to comment...
I am loving how viren is knowing his feeling towards jeevika, and really hope viren and jeevika gets along... Just cant wait for that update where jeevika and viren will confess thier love for eachother. Reading this story is just bliss serah. The way you write and potrait the story is just so marvellous!!!
Waiting for the next update
Thank you for the PM always!!!