Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EllaElla thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: hedwig_fawkes

]

Maybe you personally don't need a video for it (which, honestly, looking at your posts I think you do) but I didn't realize that every video ever made had to personally cater to your needs. A lot of people will benefit from watching the video. And no, women don't have the choice everywhere. It is sad because you seem to be a Kat fan and your objection to the video seems to be more about your objection to DP. But Kat is not immune to this either. Why do you think she is so careful about insisting she is single till she gets married? Why was she upset about the Ibiza pics? Because, as she herself says, this society is quick to pass judgement on women and their "character" and she doesn't want to face that censure.

Feminism is so much bigger than BW and it is really sad that you are allowing stupid things like fan wars to cloud your judgement. And by you, I mean a lot of people on this forum, not you specifically.

Especially when a woman does that to another woman, no? And gives unsolicited advise about how if a woman didn't want to be captured on camera, it should have been her responsibility to be more careful. Like how some people like to say to a girl if you didn't want to get raped, then you shouldn't  have worn a short skirt.

Because if the point of this video was that a woman should have the freedom to make the same choices and mistakes a man is able to make without a receiving condemnation for her actions that a man wouldn't have to face, then you would think the woman doing the talking in the video would be the first one to understand that message. Because if I remember correctly, she was the first one to say to another woman that she should have been more careful if she did not want her pictures taken. 
Edited by EllaElla - 9 years ago
light_year thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

@you2

Yes men did and also talked of how law and society treats them as well.

Power of DP? 😆

You're hung up on views.

It's not power. It is a major publicity stunt to deliberately add such lines and provoke people.

Also, some say not to talk about DP because she didn't write the script while some say this is power of DP. Please first decide what you call it.

Nandita Das will also be called powerful now for riling up people with her all men are potential rapists comment?

This is cheap publicity. Not power.

Agree with dp publicity part. Deepika was trying to portray an image for release of piku. Coz in piku she plays a strong single  stressed women who is taking care of father house and work. This video was an attempt to get ready all the girls for her movie in name of women empowerment and feminism. During chennai express n ramleela she was portaying traditional girl during interviews and during yjhd she was portraying I am naina talwar in her interviews. Its always been which of her movie is realeasing to portray that part even in real life. She is good actress offscreen as welk onscreen.
hedwig_fawkes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: EllaElla

Especially when a woman does that to another woman, no? And gives unsolicited advise about how if a woman didn't want to be captured on camera, it should have been her responsibility to be more careful. Like how some people like to say to a girl if you didn't want to get raped, then you shouldn't  have worn a short skirt.

Because if the point of this video was that a woman should have the freedom to make the same choices and mistakes a man is able to make without a receiving condemnation for her actions that a man wouldn't have to face, then you would think the woman doing the talking in the video would be the first one to understand that message. Because if I remember correctly, she was the first one to say to another woman that she should have been more careful if she did not want her pictures taken. 

It took me a while to understand your post because I honestly don't keep up with DP-Kat gossip. Look, I am not only defending Deepika, so I don't see the point of your post. I actually agree with what you say about it being worse when a girl puts down another girl (and that includes all the girls on this forum bashing DP/Kat). I am speaking out in favour of feminism, because the jabs seem to be against that and the outrage at the admittedly flawed video is extremely disproportional to the content, plus I disagreed with the specific points made by the members I quoted. But you are once again making this about Kat vs DP which further proves my point. The outrage is because the video features DP which is sad because the issue is so much bigger than that. But as long as this continues to be a projection of fan wars, I think all discussion is pointless and we are just going around in circles.
Edited by hedwig_fawkes - 9 years ago
Bhaadmejaa thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
Sloppy script, sloppy execution, could havee been accomplished better.
atominis thumbnail
My issue with the video is the words used and the way the message was framed.

We have ads and films with radical messages. But they don't cause controversy even if they have big stars in them, because of the nuance with which they are handled.

I actually agreed with couple of points in this video and feel irritated why they messed up in choice of words.

There was no need to give it an us vs them vibe.

Finally, even women discriminate against other women. Like someone gave example of IF fan fiction, which is mostly written by women and has stereotypes. So why not address people in general? What's the need to address only him?
It wouldn't get response videos had the speaker not used words addressed to men. "Don't be fooled", "You're the snowfall" whatever!

It INVITED the response itself.

Forget gender. A video made like this by any one group, addressing another is bound to get a response. Make a #MyChoice video of say, students, kids, bosses, employees etc and you will get responses from opposite group.

Make a video like this with industry guys saying stuff like #MyChoice to make art film or no brainer film. And you will get response video from audience declaring #MyChoice whether to buy ticket or not.

The narrative led to controversy. It shouldn't be that hard to understand. It's more than just gender or a celeb here.

EllaElla thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

It took me a while to understand your post because I honestly don't keep up with DP-Kat gossip. Look, I am not only defending Deepika, so I don't see the point of your post. I actually agree with what you say about it being worse when a girl puts down another girl (and that includes all the girls on this forum bashing DP/Kat). I am speaking out in favour of feminism, because the jabs seem to be against that and the outrage at the admittedly flawed video is extremeley disproportional to the content, plus I disagreed with the specific points made by members I quoted. But you are once again making this about Kat vs DP which further proves my point. The outrage is because the video features DP which is sad because the issue is so much bigger than that. But as long as this continues to be a projection of fan wars, I think all discussion is pointless and we are just going around in circles.

And I think that's where you are wrong because I don't think the people taking jabs against the video are  speaking out specifically against feminism. Many of the critics have expressed support for feminism but the disagreement seems to stem from how they define the term versus how the video seems to defining the idea of empowerment and feminism. Yes, I did turn it into a kat/dp thing momentarily. You made it so easy and I couldn't help it,  my bad, lol. And yes I agree again, round and round we go...
aamir18 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
While I disagree with a few points you made, I want you to know that I agree 100% on this.

Women are very often their worst enemy.

They propagate these ideals like "boys will be boys", "the lighter the skin, the more desirable", "virginity is a woman's honor" or "good women are good mothers"

If feminism wants to make a change worthwhile, it needs to start with girls respecting each other and themselves.

Originally posted by: atominis

Finally, even women discriminate against other women. Like someone gave example of IF fan fiction, which is mostly written by women and has stereotypes. So why not address people in general? What's the need to address only him?

aamir18 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
@bold -- yes. 

Maybe it's just me, but why do I feel as though Deepika Padukone has received more or equivalent hate for contributing to a 2.5 minute PSA about women empowerment than Salman Khan did for committing murder? Or Shakti Kapoor did for offering a woman casting couch? 

It took me a while to understand your post because I honestly don't keep up with DP-Kat gossip. Look, I am not only defending Deepika, so I don't see the point of your post. I actually agree with what you say about it being worse when a girl puts down another girl (and that includes all the girls on this forum bashing DP/Kat). I am speaking out in favour of feminism, because the jabs seem to be against that and the outrage at the admittedly flawed video is extremely disproportional to the content, plus I disagreed with the specific points made by the members I quoted. But you are once again making this about Kat vs DP which further proves my point. The outrage is because the video features DP which is sad because the issue is so much bigger than that. But as long as this continues to be a projection of fan wars, I think all discussion is pointless and we are just going around in circles.

Edited by aamir18 - 9 years ago
sunflower52 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Well Deepika should have realized what she was getting into, she was the face of the video. So there will be brick racks coming her way.

I have no problem with feminism, the only problem in this video I had were the words they used especially in the later half of the video. 

There was no talk about equality at all, just about me me me and to he**with the consequences. 

Words like "My virtues, your sins", "Snowflake and snowfall analogy made no sense to me.

I will not support FCP's and MCP's, there were one or two points that I agreed with rest was high handed and sexist.
atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: aamir18

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">@bold -- yes.</font>[DIV]<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">
Maybe it's just me, but why do I feel as though Deepika Padukone has received more or equivalent hate for contributing to a 2.5 minute PSA about women empowerment than Salman Khan did for committing murder? Or Shakti Kapoor did for offering a woman casting:couch?

That's gross exaggeration.

Salman and Shakti Kapoor had lawsuits slapped against them, TV, newspapers, internet,:nobody:spared them and their cases were discussed for decades.

And you're calling online response to DP video as equivalent hate? 😲

She has been let off lightly. Many channels, papers and mags didn't even bother to discuss this.

Now even trend on Twitter, few videos or comments on YT will be called intense hate?

When Tamil actress Khushboo had talked about premarital sex in 2006 people had taken to streets to protest against her and even pelted stones at her house. Nothing of this sort happened to DP.

What hate are you talking of?

One comment of likes of Sharad Yadav gets them stripped by Arnabs, Barkhas, Rajdeeps on prime time news.

Whereas people have given leeway to DP by either not discussing the issue or having civil debate and making excuses on interpretation etc.

Basic online reactions are given to everyone. Deepikas or Nanditas or Khans. No onr especially picked out on Deepika.