Throwback to 2012 and what a brilliant year it was for BW

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 months ago

The year was marked by exceptional storytelling, memorable performances, and chart-topping music.

It was undeniably a year of cinematic brilliance in Bollywood, with filmmakers experimenting with storytelling and actors pushing their boundaries. The industry embraced diversity in genres, paving the way for a new era of storytelling.

Look at Kahaani, Barfi, English Vinglish, and Gangs of Wasseypur. Each resonated with the audience, and each represented a different genre.

"Kahaani" (2012): Sujoy Ghosh's thriller starring Vidya Balan in the lead role was a groundbreaking film that kept the audience on the edge of their seats. The film's tight screenplay, intriguing plot twists, and Vidya Balan's powerhouse performance garnered widespread acclaim.

"Barfi" (2012): Anurag Basu's heartwarming tale of love and friendship featured Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, and Ileana D'Cruz in memorable roles. The film not only showcased the incredible acting prowess of the cast but also presented a unique and visually stunning narrative.

"English Vinglish" (2012): Gauri Shinde's directorial debut marked the return of the legendary Sridevi to the big screen. The film delicately explored themes of self-discovery, empowerment, and breaking societal norms. Sridevi's stellar performance and the film's universal appeal struck a chord with audiences of all ages.

"Gangs of Wasseypur" (2012): Anurag Kashyap's ambitious crime saga, released in two parts, presented a raw and gritty portrayal of the coal mafia in Wasseypur. The film's intricate storytelling, complex characters, and powerful dialogues made it a cult classic, with Nawazuddin Siddiqui's performance earning special acclaim.

"Vicky Donor" (2012): Shoojit Sircar's unconventional and humorous take on sperm donation, starring Ayushmann Khurrana and Yami Gautam, not only brought a fresh perspective to Indian cinema but also became a commercial success. The film's quirky narrative and standout performances contributed to its widespread popularity.

"Talaash" (2012): Reema Kagti's psychological thriller starring Aamir Khan, Rani Mukerji, and Kareena Kapoor Khan explored the themes of grief, guilt, and redemption. The film's suspenseful plot, coupled with strong performances, made it a compelling watch.

It was a great year for cinema and art. A great year for storytelling. A great year for memorable perfromances.

I would actually rank it as one of BW's best years.

Also, let me remind you guys that the commercial potboiler was also prevalent, and did very well.

Here are some of the notable films that performed exceptionally well commercially:

"Ek Tha Tiger": Directed by Kabir Khan and starring Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif, "Ek Tha Tiger" was a high-octane action thriller. The film's gripping storyline and the charismatic presence of Salman Khan contributed to its massive box office success.

"Dabangg 2": This sequel to the 2010 blockbuster "Dabangg" saw Salman Khan reprise his role as Chulbul Pandey. Directed by Arbaaz Khan, the film continued the success of its predecessor and became a major hit, especially among Salman Khan fans.

"Rowdy Rathore": Directed by Prabhu Deva and starring Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha, "Rowdy Rathore" was an action-packed entertainer that resonated well with the masses. The film's masala formula, coupled with Akshay Kumar's energetic performance, contributed to its commercial success.

"Son of Sardaar": Starring Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha, and Sanjay Dutt, this action-comedy directed by Ashwni Dhir performed well at the box office. The film's humorous narrative and entertaining elements appealed to a wide audience.

"Agneepath": A remake of the 1990 film, the 2012 version of "Agneepath" featured Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra, and Sanjay Dutt. Directed by Karan Malhotra, the film garnered attention for its intense storyline and powerful performances, contributing to its box office success.

It was a year when films of multiple genres co-existed and cinema as a whole was blessed.

Thoughts???

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

I have been a fan of Bollywood since 1995 when I first started watching Bollywood movies. 

The best years since then acc. to me for cinematic brilliance ---

1. 2001

.2. 2012

3. 2006

do u guys agree?

Newbird thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I watched only 3 movies out of the list.. Barfi, Vicky donor, Talaash.

Loved Barfi and Vicky donor. Watched Talaash years back when they played it on some channel, I didn't understand the movie as I watched it in Hindi, I need English subtitles to watch Hindi movies, I can understand sometimes what's going on in hindi movies but need subtitles for better understanding. 

khan.baba thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

jab tak hai jaan