Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: Radhikerani

That was so so sweet! I was smiling all along! So much of happiness in the air! Rukmi is a fool! Missing all of that!
But wait, Subhadra and Ekanamsha are different? Or two parts of the same that coexist? I'm cofused.

They are two forms of Yogamaya - one avatar knows while the other doesn't know that she is Yogamaya.

Yes Rukmi is a big time fool because even in the future he doesn't understand Krsna.
SriMaatangi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: KrishnaPriyaa

Res res res!!!!

I will unres later. Finally.
Gimme my part soon 😆

unres
Shri Candravali-Rukmini Kanto Vijayate!

Very well written Surya. 
First, title. Rukmini Kalyana Gopala? A little too much of opposite here 😉
The wedding ceremony was beautiful ❤️
Ekanamsha ❤️
Krishna and Ekanamsha know what is happening. All natkhat 😆😆

Can I please have the next part soon? 😛
And the significance of Puri was not missed 😉

Originally posted by: KrishnaPriyaa

And the significance of Puri was not missed 😉

The significance of Puri was a dilemma for me.
Because here, the sister who is between them is Ekanamsha Yashodeyaa and NOT Subhadra Devakisuta.

(It sort of forms a sloka no?
Ekanamsha Yashodeyaa Subhadra Devakisutaa|
Eka Tu Dvaravatyaam Ca Anyaika Puryaam Purau||
😛)

shabari14 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Every chapter of yours teaches me something new, Bhaiya, and here, it was Ekanamsha. Loved the Ramayan glimpse and the hint to Satyabhama and the other queens! Update soon! 😊

Chapter 40: Syamantaka and its problems

A year had elapsed since he had began his tapas. Satrajit stood in River Gomati, chanting the Surya Mantra with all piety. In a brilliant flash of light, the Lord of the Skies appeared in front of him.

"Open your eyes, Oh Satrajit, descendant of Satvata. Your tapas has reached its pinnacle." Said Vivasvan, taking on the form of a glowing luminary, lest he burn Satrajit with his heat.

Satrajit opened his eyes and beheld the smiling face of Surya, the Lord of the Grahas, the glorious son of Aditi, the Amsha of Lord Vishnu himself. The Lord had appeared in his form as Vishnu, the youngest of Aditi's sons, bearing the Chakra, the Shankha and the Gada in three hands. He held his fourth hand in the Varada Mudra, palm facing downwards.

"Oh Surya, protector of the World! You sustain all life on this planet! It is by your grace that living beings are able to even survive! Oh Lord, grant me something which will help me sustain my family and the needy people!"

Surya-Narayana smiled widely, then took off his neck a lustrous necklace on which was strung a blood-red ruby, shining with ethereal light.

"Dear Satrajit, this is my most precious jewel -Syamantaka. It showers on the owner a total of eight measures of gold per day. Using the wealth it generates, you can satisfy the poor and needy with all their wants and desires. But take heed - this gem must never be kept for oneself! If you fail to distribute its riches to the deserving and horde the gold yourself, you will perish. Therefore, worship Lord Hari and use this Syamantaka to uplift the poor and the destitute!"

Satrajit accepted the Syamantaka, his eyes gleaming with astonishment.

"Tell us Putri, where did you disappear to, when we had accepted you as our own daughter?" asked Devaki fondly, plaiting Ekanamsha's locks of hair, while Rohini fed two year old Subhadra.

"Yes, dear sister," Krsna joined in the conversation, "Tell us all what did you do after you suddenly assumed the form of Durga, and without prior permission of our elders, flew to the skies and vanished?"

"Will you let me answer?" Ekanamsha replied, half exasperated and half amused. She looked at her mothers, Krsna, Balarama, Rukmini and Revati, who were all sitting in Devaki's antahpura.

"You all know that I am Goddess Yogamaya, the sister of Lord Vishnu, incarnate as Mata Yashoda's daughter. Before I was born, Lord Narayana himself had told me that once Kamsa's threat over you, Maa, and Pitashri was removed, I should proceed to the Vindhyas."

Devaki's eyes widened; she had never been able to completely accept that her daughter was actually the Goddess Durga herself.

"So I went to Vindhyachala, where I was honoured by Indra and the other celestials. I meditated for a few years on the mountains, awaiting the asuras Shumbha and Nishumbha, who had been born once more on the earth. They hadn't learnt from their previous encounter with me. Summoning my shaktis, I reminded them once more of their folly."

"So, did they repent?" interjected Balarama.

"Ha! That's a good joke! Yes, they totally groveled at my feet, begging me to marry them! And when I furiously refused, they attacked me. Like last time. It was not quite difficult to conquer them."

"So you killed them once more?"

"Yes, I ended their lives, like I had promised the devas so many Yugas ago! Once my task there was complete, I resumed my meditation, until I heard dear Rukmini's prayers to me. But I need not have bothered. This brother of mine is no novice in kidnapping I suppose!"

"Hey! It was my first try!" exclaimed Krsna, earning a small pat from his wife, and a slightly stronger pat from his mother.

"Really? I am impressed!" replied Ekanamsha. "So, when I heard that Krsna had handled the situation perfectly fine, I decided to come back to my home and visit my family once more."

"Visit? Aren't you staying?" asked Rohini, quick to notice Ekanamsha's word play.

"Oh, I shall stay. But I shall reside in the temple of Chandrabhaga, to continue my tapas. I shall take breaks in the middle and come here often, don't worry Maa!" she said, as Rohini's eyes teared up.

Krsna and Rukmini stood in their balcony, taking in the breathtaking view of Dvaravati. The picturesque grove of Nava Vrindavana, which Krsna frequented with Rukmini, was teeming with abundant flora and fauna, the River Gomati flowing through it, like Yamuna did through Vrindavana.

He placed his hand on his wife's shoulder, enjoying the solitude. A guard rushed inside. "Forgive my intrusion, Prince! But Lord Surya seems to have arrived at the gates of Dvaraka to see you!"

And both Krsna and Rukmini turned towards the entrance to Dvaraka, where they could faintly make out a luminary figure coming towards the city. Krsna laughed. "Ask the guards at the gates to look clearly. It is our friend and treasurer Satrajit, who has apparently acquired a new addition for our treasury!"

Patting the sheepish guard, Krsna gave Rukmini and apologetic look, as if to say Later, my dear, and strode out of the palace to greet Satrajit, who was indeed glowing with the radiance of Syamantaka.

"Krsna!" he cried, and pulling the horses reins, stopped the chariot, alighted and rushed towards Madhava. "Look at what Lord Surya has bestowed upon me! His own Syamantaka! It will bless me with eight bharas of gold per day, so that I can help the needy and deserving people!  I am honoured to have this gift of his!"

Krsna smiled. He held out his hand. "Dvaravati is honoured that this divine gem shall adorn its treasury."

Satrajit's smile faltered. "This is my boon. It was gifted to me. Not to Dvaraka. I shall keep it in my house. And you need not worry about the gold either, Prince. I shall give it in charity to the Rishis and Brahmanas as well as the poor people who chance upon myself. Pranams!"

And Satrajit left with the jewel, while Krsna gave a sad look in his direction.

Rukmini looked at her husband's worried face. "What did Satrajit say to upset you?"

"It's nothing. He had obtained the Syamantaka from Suryadeva, and is not willing to place it in the safety of Dvaraka's treasury. He feels I want to keep it from him."

"But then, why doesn't he understand that as the treasurer, it is he who will be keeping its accounts?"

"You can't change some people's nature, Lakshmi. You of all goddesses will be aware of that basic fact."

Mahalakshmi shook her head. "Sometimes I wonder whether I move away too soon. But then the reverse will prove in Satrajit's case."

"And there is also mother's curse on Akrura."

"And that."

The couple looked at the rising moon and then at the figure of Ekanamsha, who made her way to the temple of Chandrabhaga and disappeared inside.

Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 7 years ago
shabari14 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Beautiful chapters, and beautiful pictures! So, Satrajit is not giving away his jewel. He doesn't know though that he will be giving his most precious jewel later on. And what is Akrura's curse? Update soon, Bhaiya!
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Seriously, you write so well!
I never knew this story of Ekanamsha. The convo. was so sweet!
And, Satrajit! Poor Kanha, so much of unnecessary trouble ahead!

Chapter 41: The Fight Between Old Friends

Satyabhama finished her ritual worship in Chandrabhaga's temple, and worshipped Devi Ekanamsha, who was in Tapas near the sanctum of the Goddess.  Then, along with her sakhis, she exited the temple, to see a throng of men, led by Shatadhanva, no doubt come here to seek her hand in marriage.

It was not a new experience for Satyabhama. She had been blessed with beautiful features, and so had been the object of desire for many men in the past. But ever since her father had acquired the Syamantaka - Jewel of Greed, thought Satyabhama - her suitors had increased proportionally. She passed on her plate of Prasada to her sakhi Madhavi and lifted her hand.

"I have had enough of your lecherous staring. If any of you want to wed me, you have to prove yourselves worthy of me! And ogling me won't help!"

So saying, she drew herself majestically and strode out of the temple premises. Shatadhanva continued to stare.

Senapati Krtavarma went along with his brother to Satrajit's mansion, where Satrajit was seen lavishly distributing his wealth to anyone who came to him. There was a glow on his face, as if the divinity of the gem kept his health to the best.

Seeing Krtavarma and Shatadhanva, Satrajit and his wife Vratavati rushed to greet them. "Welcome, Senapati, Shatadhanva. How may I help you both?"

Krtavarma looked embarrassed to broach the topic, so, ignoring tradition, Shatadhanva spoke up. "Oh Mahodaya! We both have had a penchant for your daughter Satyabhama for the past few months! She is also of marriageable age! So, we have come to seek your permission for one of us to hold her hand in marriage!"

Satrajit was taken aback. Ever since he had obtained the Mani, proposals for Satyabhama had increased, but Satrajit had always been able to find out the true intentions of the person - desire for the wealth produced by Syamantaka. Even the great Akrura had tried his hand for Bhama!

But now, the Commander of Dvaraka himself had approached him! Perplexed, he said, "Oh Krtavarma! Oh Shatadhanva! I have brought up my three daughters with the best of values; they are the most precious jewels to me! I therefore cannot immediately promise one of you Satyabhama's hand without consulting Satyabhama herself! But I assure you that when considering suitors for her, I shall definitely keep you in mind!"

Prasenajit, the younger brother of Satrajit, decided to go on a hunt, and for the sake of grandeur, asked Satrajit for the Syamantaka Mani. Since it was his own brother, Satrajit did not hesitate, and along with the jewel, Prasenajit proceeded to the forest.

A week passed, but there was no sign of his return. A frantic Satrajit tried asking anyone who had gone to the forests whether they had seen his brother, but in vain. In desperation, he rushed to the palace.

"Oh mighty Balarama! Oh Krsna! I need you to organize a search party for my brother, who was lost in the forests! He had left a week ago, along with my gem, and there is absolutely no sign of him! My gem, the precious Syamantaka!"

If you had only given the gem to me when I asked, Krsna thought, and assured Satrajit that he and his warriors would go on a search for his brother in the forests. Satrajit repeated his request to search for the Syamantaka too, for he had gotten too accustomed to his growing affluence in the city. Krsna shook his head at Satrajit's attitude, and along with Balarama, Satyaki, and other able warriors, proceeded to the forest where Prasena had gone hunting.

They traced the trail of hoofprints left by Prasena's horse, and a few Yojanas into the forest, came across the gory scene of Prasena's dead body, torn by a wild animal, his horse too in the same state. While some of the warriors lamented Prasena's fate, Krsna examined the body and the marks.

"It has to be either a lion, or a tiger, that has killed Prasena. No doubt, it would have been fascinated by the bright light emanating from the Syamantaka; Prasena was a fool to take it with him on his expedition!"

And he set off with Balarama, the others following hastily, following the pug marks of the beast. Towards evening, they chanced upon the carcass of the beast, a lion, which looked like it had been in a fight with another larger animal. The gem was missing, no doubt stolen by this other animal. Undeterred, Krsna led his group further into the forest, following the foot-marks which looked distinctively like a bear's, if a bear could walk like a human would. The warriors were curious as to what sort of creature could have bested a lion in a fight, and studiously followed the trail.

They chanced upon a cave, from where they could hear the sweet voice of an old woman, apparently singing a lullaby. Krsna looked at his comrades. "I shall go in - the Mani must obviously lie within the cave, for the trail leads inside. The rest of you stay outside, and do not tarry long if I don't return alive!"

Leaving his alarmed comrades outside, Krsna entered the cave. He went a few steps inside and was engulfed with the light of Syamantaka. Knowing who lived inside, Krsna smiled and rushed further in, to be greeted by the sight of a young bear cub playing with the Syamantaka, and an old female bear, presumably the same one that was singing earlier, fondling the baby cub. It seemed she was his nurse, and was trying to get him to leave the jewel and go to sleep. Krsna decided to greet them, and strode towards the nurse and the baby.

Seeing the radiant figure of Krsna approach her cub, the nurse screamed, "Help, oh King! A Man has entered the cave!" The bear cub growled at Krsna, catching his nurse's hand.

And to Krsna's delight, his old friend entered the lair, growling at his intrusion. Jambavan roared. "Who are you and how dare you enter my cave and threaten my child?!"

Krsna stared at the bear-king's bloodshot eyes. He doesn't remember. He smiled confidently and said in a deep baritone of a voice, "This jewel belongs to me! I have come to claim it! Hand over the Syamantaka, Oh Bear King!"

Jambavan roared even more furiously. "How dare you enter my lair and command over myself? Begone before I break all the bones of your frail human body!"

"If you wish to fight me, so be it! I shall win the Syamantaka back from you!" Krsna called back, taking up a heroic stance. The bear king bellowed and clashed with Krsna's frame, holding him in a tight grip. Krsna met his strength, astonishing Jambavan. They fought fiercely, as the nurse took Jambavan's son to safety, further in the cave. The duo fought, not considering the duration of their fight...

Twelve Days Later...

Balarama turned to Satyaki and the others. "Twelve days have elapsed since Krsna entered the cave. The chances are very high that the beast dwelling inside has overpowered him. We must obey his final command to us and return to Dvaraka!"

Satyaki looked horrified, but Balarama admonished him. "Do you want to disobey Krsna's orders and go in the cave? His instructions were explicit: Wait for him to return, and do not tarry along if he doesn't. Let us go back to Dvaraka!"

The depressed warriors took up their weapons, mounted their steeds and left for their city, lamenting Krsna's fate, and praying for the gods to help him.

At Dvaraka, when greeted with the despondent warriors, Devaki flew into a rage and along with many others, rushed to Satrajit's house, censuring him for calling on this useless hunt for his brother. Rukmini was in tears, and the Yadavas tried in vain to console  the princess, each of them cursing Satrajit for his foolhardiness.

Unable to find a solution, the citizens of Dvaraka gathered outside the temple of Chandrabhaga, praying to the Goddess, and awaiting Ekanamsha's awakening from her tapasya.

Sixteen Days Later...

Jambavan staggered, his arms coated with sweat and blood. This mortal was no ordinary person. No one had ever survived his onslaught for even a single day, leave alone twenty eight days in a row! He folded his hands towards the Kshatriya and asked, "Pray tell me, oh Great Warrior, who are you?"

Krsna beamed at him. "Do you still not recognize me, Rksaraja?"

And Jambavan was transported to a faraway seashore, in another time, where he stood with seventy thousand vanaras, watching the sea lashing at the land. The two warriors in front of him had irritation written on their faces; the younger brother paced up and down the beach, while the elder one merely stood steadfast, awaiting.

And with a sudden outburst of anger, he called out, "Lakshmana! Bring my bow! I shall teach this impudent Varuna a lesson for life!"

Armed with his Kodanda, offered by Lakshmana, Rama turned to the ocean. He notched an arrow on the Kodanda, and the sea grew turbulent, sensing the impending destruction. In a flash, Lord Varuna appeared along with his wife, crying, "I seek forgiveness, Oh Ramachandra, scion of the Raghu Dynasty!"

And as if time had been accelerated, Jambavan saw thousands of monkeys bringing trees, rocks, boulders, gravel, pebbles and fine sand, and under Nala's command, throwing them into the waves, where the trees and boulders sunk to the raised portion of the seabed, upon which were placed the smaller rocks, layered with the pebbles and sand. A bridge over the sea.

And the scene changed.

Rama stood on a battlefield, wiping his brow of the sweat and blood, and shot the Brahmastra towards the ten headed Rakshasa King in front of him, piercing his heart. With a terrible scream befitting his name, Ravana fell to the ground, at last defeated.

Rama heaved a sigh and turned to Jambavan. "Do you recognize me now, my friend?"

And with pent-up emotions, Krsna embraced the bear-king.

Note: Today, Shravana Paurnami is Balarama's birthday.

Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 7 years ago
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Satyabhaama was awesome! Loved her replies to Shatadhanva, but apparently, she wasted her breath on him!
"Jewel of Greed" is actually the perfect name for it!
And, Satrajit. The crazy man.
Also, did Balaram also go with Kanha? I thought he was sorting out the rumours of theft while Krishna rushed off to find the gem?

Originally posted by: Radhikerani

Satyabhaama was awesome! Loved her replies to Shatadhanva, but apparently, she wasted her breath on him!
"Jewel of Greed" is actually the perfect name for it!
And, Satrajit. The crazy man.
Also, did Balaram also go with Kanha? I thought he was sorting out the rumours of theft while Krishna rushed off to find the gem?

Satrajit is crazy. That's why in the previous chapter Krsna is sad at the end.

@Bold Nothing is mentioned in both Bhagavatam and Harivamsa about who went, so I just assumed that as Krsna's best friend, Balarama would have accompanied him. Also, who else could have convinced the Yadavas to leave Krsna in the cave and return?