Posted: 9 years ago

Story from page 1 - AFTER HRS, dnaofmumbai

Is she a soft target?'

Sakshi Tanwar, who played Shweta Prasad's mother in the serial Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, writes a heartfelt piece about her

My on-screen daughter...

Around 14 years ago I started shooting for a TV show. After the first few episodes the girl, who was playing my daughter in the show was replaced by a very sweet and talented nine-year-old, who took to the role like it was written for her. Our bond grew so strong that since then, for the past 13 years, she has wished me on Mother's Day every single year. Beyond a warm and sweet gesture it is a reflection of the values she has grown up with, I would ask her about her studies and work, and she would always reply with confidence and assurance that all is well.

How I wish it was...

Few days ago that adorable little child of mine on screen hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Since then I have been getting a lot of phone calls and messages asking me if I "read about my on-screen daughter". My reply: "Yes! I read about her because the reports are only writing about her. Had they written about her so called high profile "businessmen" clients involved, I would have read about them too". Honestly, I'm quite disappointed that the media reports have so selectively guarded their identity and names. I have no interest in knowing about those degenerate "businessmen", but I would have loved to see their names come to the fore so that their families " mothers, daughters, sisters and wives " and friends would get an insight into their recreational habits.

I'm appalled at the way the issue has been dealt with by the media. We, the people, are so eager to pass judgments and share opinions about her on social media, but none of us have walked the hard yards in her shoes...so, do we actually have a right to judge her yet? I don't know her reasons and problems, and I don't know any solutions either... All I know is that she is kept in a remand home and that she has apparently given a statement accepting it. At least she has been brave enough to accept it (as per the reports). I had been intending to write this piece since I got to know about it, but I wanted to first speak to her. Unable to do that, I did manage to talk to her real-life mother today. How many of us know that her mother has not been allowed to meet her in the remand home yet? How many of us know that the attending judge has told her mother that she is cheering up kids and other women in the remand home by talking about music and life. Her mother is feeling deprived, dejected and even defeated...and understandably so. She has a few very valid questions " "My daughter is not a criminal, why is her name being maligned like this? What if this irresponsible reporting along with her photographs by the media has a long-lasting scarring impact on her? What if tomorrow she finds it impossible to carry the bitter remains of her life and takes a drastic step, God forbid...

Does anyone have an answer?

Her mother and many other women, including me, want to know the answers to some more questions. Why has the large section of media been so selective in highlighting the girl? Why the names and photographs of the businessmen not splashed all over, like the girl's? Why have those men been granted the right to privacy and not the girl? Is she a soft target just because she is an actor and a public figure? Why is our moral police quiet about this? In a country where even rapists and murderers are given the right to privacy, why has her right been violated? Why this irresponsible insensitive stand against her?

Published Date:  Sep 08, 2014

Copyright restricted. For reprint rights cli

Glad that BW folks are atleast supporting her. Tollywood folks have all disappeared.
Whats there to keep her away from family? She is not a murderer or rapist. Worst part all businessman are free like only this girl was alone involved in everything.

May god give this girl some strength to go thru this phase...
Am so glad ST wrote this...

Does anyone have an answer?

Her mother and many other women, including me, want to know the answers to some more questions. Why has the large section of media been so selective in highlighting the girl? Why the names and photographs of the businessmen not splashed all over, like the girl's? Why have those men been granted the right to privacy and not the girl? Is she a soft target just because she is an actor and a public figure? Why is our moral police quiet about this? In a country where even rapists and murderers are given the right to privacy, why has her right been violated? Why this irresponsible insensitive stand against her?

My prayer is for God to be with this girl and strengthen her .

I agree. I hope God grants her the strength to carry on. May her Angels be with herEdited by altuphalu - 9 years ago
True that they should have shamed the businessmen too or should have kept all names private but I have no sympathy for this girl cos she dug her own grave. She is also unapologetic towards the reason she went into prostitution so why should we sympathize with her? 

When she did well as a child artist the country lauded her with praise and national award, now she took a wrong decision and is paying for it.Since she is a public figure, she has to face the bouquet and brickbats which comes along with the fame. I can sympathize with women from poor families forced into prostitution not these kind of starlets who get into prostitution to maintain their lifestyle.
Edited by .Elixir. - 9 years ago
Not that one expects our superstars to speak on every issue, but some of them spend so much time passing barbs and unwanted comments on their co-stars and other useless topics...why can't they speak on something like this? Isn't Shweta one of them?

So glad that Shobha De and Saakshi spoke about Shweta and supported her, though.

I love the point that Sakshi has raised...this is the same media which has till date protected the name of the minor involved in the Delhi Gang Rape...but it revels in headlines like "Makdee ki bacchi bahut badi ho gayi hai" on television, titillating a sensitive issue and making it into some kind of a gossip scandal that the whole country gets to enjoy! Disgusting.
Edited by poppy2009 - 9 years ago
Originally posted by .Elixir.

True that they should have shamed the businessmen too or should have kept all names private but I have no sympathy for this girl cos she dug her own grave. She is also unapologetic towards the reason she went into prostitution so why should we sympathize with her?

When she did well as a child artist the country lauded her with praise and national award, now she took a wrong decision and is paying for it.Since she is a public figure, she has to face the bouquet and brickbats which comes along with the fame. I can sympathize with women from poor families forced into prostitution not these kind of starlets who get into prostitution to maintain their lifestyle.

I understand your logic.
But we know NOTHING about her family situation. So we cannot judge. We have not been in her shoes. Many a time women are bread winners, and do what they need to to put food on the table. Having never been in such a situation; how can we judge.

Also, she is only 23 years old and since she was young, she has been thrust into acting. This is all she knows
Good shwetha colleague tho supporting
Sakshi is very senior in this business
Kuch tips dedo Swetha Ko is me