Duryadhan OS:- I - The Unconquerable One (My Thank you note at Page 2)

panchaali thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

I - The Unconquerable One 

This story is written from Duryadhan's POV

I do not claim this work of mine to present the exact facts (of epic). However, it is based on many scholar's thoughts, research and opinions. You are free to comment or criticize on my writing style, but refrain from debating/ fighting about the content. If you do not like it please kindly ignore. This is a fiction only .. Copy Rights are reserved on my name

No one ever dared to defeat me in a fair battle. Even the warriors of your Dharma also have to crush me by unfair means.  I am difficult to be conquered in a duel, my mind too is difficult to be ruled. So you never knew me, no matter how much you try you don't know who I was. I am Duryadhana- The unconquerable one, and remain the unconquerable. 

Am I Suyodhana the innocent child with lots of queries in mind? The queries, which Dharma of the society could never answer! Or the Duryadhana one who can never bear to see his cousins claiming his throne!

I am both. I was both. Like all of you, I had lots of dream in my childhood. I loved the wide sky, the droplets of first rain and the rainbows after that. While sitting in the garden I always wondered how the birds could sing so beautiful! The green bushes and the beautiful flower on it made me feel like heaven is here, in this world only and Suyodhan was happy in his own world. Why would he not be! He still did not realize that this world is not definitely HIS! This is not the haven he considered it to be, but just the opposite.

Every time my parents adored me, I heard Pitamah's taunts to my father that he is spoiling me. Uncle Vidur always used to talk less, but I knew he is not fond of me.  Apart from my parents, one who tried to understand me a bit was my Mamashree. He has every answer to my queries. So the tender child Suyodhan found his friend and guide in his Mama.

Then my world was little, it was sweet, warm full of love, but one day Mamashree told me something that scared me to my death. Yes, he told me the story that how right after my birth a noble man advised my father to kill me! The righteous one said I would prove an omen for my kingdom. They pestered  my blind father so much that he was about to kill me, but his love- a blind man's blind love for his new born stopped him.

I ran inside my father's chamber hugged him tight. He did not realize what was wrong with me but hugged me back with same warm embrace. That day my faith for society and it's dharma started to tremble.

"If Dharma can propose killing a newborn without any flinch what else can it do!"

I ran to the temple inside the palace, as my father's hug was not enough to calm me, and then bowed straight to the Lord of Linga, to seek some peace.

"Oh father of the universe, God of all Gods, am I not into this world due to your boon to my noble mother? Oh Neelkantha haven't you drank the poison due to Samudra Manthan to wipe away all toxins from earth? Then I, your boon child how could bear a poisoned mind? How could I be of poisoned soul! Oh epitome of purity Shiva, how could I prove to be an omen for my kingdom!" tears escaped my tender eyes, my soul was still shaken, but just then my eyes fell on the Lord of Linga. No matter how much torn his devotee was, He stood still with grace just like always and there I got my answer. I finally found peace of my mind. No matter whatever happens, what the Dharma of the society says I will stand, keeping my head held high with grace, dignity and with my own Dharma- the Dharma of humanity.   

Now you must be wondering then why Suyodhan tried to poison Bheema? Did he dare to lie in front of God! No I did not, but like every common child, I was scared. The way Bheem tortured my brothers and me, drowned us in water for his joy I was afraid. I saw no human in him in his diabolic pleasure while breaking bones of my siblings. My parents cannot see it so I hid my face into Mamashree's chest. There he provided me a solution. When I saw the poison bottle at his hand, I was shaken with fears. Watching my whitened face Mamashree cupped it, " My dear you are afraid means you are already dead. A warrior either lives fearlessly or dies with pride and before dying he slays his enemy and Pandu Putra Bheema is your enemy."

"But Mamashree isn't it unfair to poison someone? Is it a warrior's act?"

"My dear everything is fair in love and war. If your Pitamaha, uncle Vidur can turn so blind, for the love of sons of Pandu why cannot you kill one of them!"

I flinched hearing the word "kill".

"My dear, you are a prince, soon you will turn a warrior, and attend battle. In battlefields you have to kill, why don't you start it from now!"

My nervousness was not gone but Mamashree guided me and at last, I did whatever he said. 

The journey of Suyodhan to Pandavas' enemy Duryadhan just began.

You say the evil Duryadhana was after the throne! But why would I be after it! The throne was always mine! I was the one who cared for my subjects; I guided them, protected them by every means and always stood beside them like a parent. What right do Pandavas have on my subjects? I loved them just as my father loved me, cared for them just like my mother did. They say love is blind and when one's father is blind and mother, vows to enclose, vision you don't have any idea how much love you can have. I learned my lesson of love from them and wanted to bestow it to the world I know. Even if the definition of world was changed to me still my family, subjects were my world, and they remained till my last breath.

Each time I witnessed Pitamah and uncle Vidur's blind support to the Pandavas, I was hurt. Whenever I used to see Pandavas with them, it felt like I never existed. I started to realise why I was predicted ominous right after my birth.

Though I was no saint, still I always craved to prove their perception is wrong and one day fate showed me the way. It was the day of Hastinapur duel. Guru Drona declared that Arjuna is the one and only mightiest warrior of this earth. Right then out of nowhere a common man came and dared to challenge Arjuna. From his radiant aura anyone could tell he is not a common man. Still knowing his caste the righteous and humble aristocrats spared no word of disdain to insult him. Yet his spirit was not lowered. He stood like a lion to challenge the whole world. But the society and its thoughts were darker than cloud it cannot bear to see the golden mane of sun.

That day in the duel challenge of Hastinapur I saw my own reflection in the youth archer's lotus eyes. We both were rejected for none of our own faults. Society considers him a weed due to his caste and some revered members of my own family think I am an evil omen by birth. Yes, I the boon child of Devadideva was considered evil while born. Well now, I am used to it. My hand is already sinned and I hate to wear any fake mask of righteousness. But was the Pandavas flawless? The way they insulted a warrior due to his birthright, you call it Dharma? I saw them and loathed them even more. They want to rule Hastinapur by bearing such low thoughts about the subjects!

I looked at the youth again his sun like aura was fading; his lotus eyes were full with pain and grief. When the whole world made a mockery of him due to his caste, I hugged him, hugged him tighter in the bond of friendship and then turning to my father I requested to reward him with the Kingdom of Anga, without giving a second thought, what Pitamah, uncle Vidur, Guru Drona, Guru Kripa would think! Would the other nobles in the society ever respect me for this act? Would my throne be still remain mine!

Bowing to my feet that humble youth said, "I don't want kingdom Prince I just want the respect that I deserve. Acceptance of my skill is what I long for."

Lifting him up I said, "I don't want you at my feet ever again my friend. I want you by my side. Wear the crown; everyone will be ready to give you the respect you deserve."

And again I was wrong. How can an Adharmi's gift earn one respect! I gave him what I could, but failed to earn what he yearn the most-RESPECT of society. Even though, my dearest friend proved to be one splendid human by every means, your cruel Dharma remained same blind to see it.

Though I am the man who befriended son of suta, Karna in front of whole Hastinapur; nevertheless, I was the same person who was not nervous at all while planning to kill his cousins in the Lakshagriha, nor did I shake a bit while insulting sister-in-law Draupadi maliciously, but this Duryadhana is also the one, who loved his wife unquestioningly.

"No this cannot be the same person!" your fragile God-fearing mind will predict! Therefore, you will try to believe Duryadhana might have befriended Karna to fulfil his own selfish reason, after all his eyes were always on the throne of Hastinapur. He kidnapped his wife and married her forcefully how can you even think about love story!

It's okay to demean the villain in every possible way, does that help to strengthen your faiths on your Dharma? Then why it needs the protection of my friend's divine armour?

King of God begs in front of a human before the war of your Dharma! And the cruel Dharma with its unkind eyes saw him bleeding, seeing him in pain it put a smile of pleasure, "Ang Raj Karna's divine Armour is gone, the Dharmik Pandvas has a chance to win the war!" Your undefeatable Dharma why needed my friend's armour for protection?  Oh the noble people do not ever fail to realize each time you bow to your Dharma every time you bow my friend's Daan, which he had given by bleeding himself with a bright smile.

Even after this, my friend fought like the Lord of War in the battlefield, without any divine boon in his body. He was so formidable that your God had to advice to slay him with deceit. When the sun set that day, I knew it has set forever, because even if it raises darkness stays in this earth forever, the best human of the era was gone by treachery.   

Then for the first time in my life after the vow to the Linga Raj my head was low. I cannot stand high. No I was not afraid to fight, I was broken. My most beloved friend, the best person I have ever met was gone. You Dharmiks murdered him. I lamented in the anger, grief, loss and agony. I cried in a way, which nobody had ever seen this unconquerable prince to do. I have even bore Dushashan's death but how will I stand high when I am already dead! My soul was gone after Karna's death, I had no wish left to live in this treacherous world anymore. If this is your Dharma to kill a warrior when he was unarmed, then I feel proud that you call me Adharmi.

You know what, I was not astonished when Bheema hit at my thigh. While fighting with him with prowess I was wondering how this bloodthirsty Bheema would manage to kill me today! Then he hit me at the thigh, which was completely unrighteous according to the rules of mace fight. I cried in anguish, but felt such pleasure in my mind! Even if I died, I remained the unconquerable one! I died like a true warrior. In my deathbed, I again kept my head held high as promised to the Lord of Linga. So when the Vishnu on earth Krishna came in front of me I cursed him with dignity.

The Adharmi died like an Adharmi. You might be delighted! How pleasurable it is to see, read and hear that I was left for a painful death, as if an Adharmi is not a human.

Vikarna my humble brother protested Draupadi's insult. Oh, Bheema for which Dharma you included him as well in your murderous vow! Was it just because he was this Duryadhan's brother?

Oh Draupadi you had your revenge by bathing in my brother's blood but are you content? Don't you think the husbands of yours humiliated you the most on that day in the dice game! They watched you getting stripped but did not say a word to protect you! That day in the Duyt Sabha if Dushasan's chest was ripped, if Karna was murdered and I was left for a painful death may be I would never have mind it. Who knew better than I that love is blind! Those, who can't protest, vengeance is just showcase of power for them. Whatever it is, it is not love. The war was never for your dignity, it was just for the throne of Hastinapur! After calling for a war, also your husbands have used every unfair means to win. They even did not even spare to kill our revered Guru Drona and Pitamah Bheesma with deceit!

You can term me demon, but this demon also could never even think about staking his beloved wife, even if he loses himself! I would make the dust of the man if ever he tries to put any wrong glance to my beloved Bhanumati.

I never avoid the curses of Dharma when you accuse me for attempting to murder my cousins repeatedly, I do not evade your maligned words either when you blame me for doing malevolent acts to sister-in-Law Draupadi in the dice hall. Everyone knows I am a fearsome enemy, but I am also a loving friend, caring son, devoted husband and an affectionate father. You don't even care to remember this! Or is my mind so difficult to conquer that you cannot see the simple man inside me! You shed your tears for the death I have given to my nephew Abhimanyu, have you ever shed a single drop when my beloved son Laxman was killed? He was not an Adharmi like me, nor did he born ominous. He hated wars, my Laxman was always like the little innocent Suyodhan I was. Then why all noble souls why your hearts never melt at his death? Oh Dharma you love to forget the goods in the persons whom you term Adharmi and cherish even the evils in those whom you term Dharmiks. Treachery cowardice deceit protects your dharma, then what right do you have to blame me for following the same! Or do you just fear to see what the actual Duryadhan was?

My other work on Mahabharat

1. Anuraag- Karn-Supriya & Duryadhan-Bhanumati OS (click)

2. My C.N.A.T

Poetry:- The Worshiper [genre: Romance] 

Two of my original one shots

1. OS:- Devdasi- Love OF God [click]

and it's sequel

2. OS:- Devdasi- Love OR God [click]

Edited by panchaali - 8 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Quantum-Dot thumbnail
Panchali wl read it in da morning n wl gv my review then...wow it wl be interesting to read frm dury's pov...today im vry tired aftr such a busy day...
cherryberry293 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
It's amazing... Seriously too good.
It touched the strings of heart and all questions are logical to those who r fond of human side of this epic.
I never considered Duryodhan as evil or bad omen... He was a human and like all other humans he was loving, caring, protective, jealous, aggressive, etc.
U know few says Suryodhana was same as Devrath Bheeshma. Bheeshma was against the caste system but later his responsibilities nd oath took away his free and rebellious thoughts... But he used to see himself in Duryodhan.

Read AJAYA , its brilliant. Where the writer actually touched the social issues... Nd not just talked Dharma - Adharma.

I will just say , Duryodhan was born in wrong time and wrong era. Where Chaturvarna system was too strong to change it. If he would have taken birth later ... He would have been termed as a social reformer. That warrior had refreshing and rebellious thoughts... That's why Balram taught him...
He was not just a good friend of Karna but he had soft corner for Eklavya... He was a MAN of his time.
Don't know why people hates him so much based on the one-sided story...

Well u have made me curious about Duryodhan - Bhanumati story... Can you please give me links where I can find details on them??
Btw I read Subhdra was his first love but he never fought for her when Arjun married her ... He didn't involve two kingdoms to fight over a lady... He simply let it go... Wasn't it sane and sensible decision?? And A KING should be sensible...
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Res 

Panchu This is an wonderful OS .. I will give long comment later 

-edited-

I remember while turning pages of Shiva Trilogy one line hit me very deep 

Where Shiva says Lord Rudra slayed Asuras and Asuras were bad and a priest replied Who said they were bad??

Shiva said I read it in books 

Priest again asked: who wrote the books 

Answer: Devas!!!!

This is the key of all answer .. PERSPECTIVE .. change it and the world is changed 

In the books of Asuras Devas would be villains .. [well Persian myths is a proof of it ]

I am writing this because Panchu you proved that you have the eye of seeing things from unconventional side .. you have the guts to question old cliched believes 

This is itself a thing to praise๐Ÿ‘

you are definitely an awesome writer but the best thing is the topic of writing .. your selection is amazing and your portrayal is logical 

Even a believer of conventional thought if have a open mind will think .. what Dharma asks for killing a new born baby? What dharma ignore agony of a bullied child .. is dharma is only in focusing on consequences completely ignoring the reason .. why trying to justify things with one sided views .. why obeying one side of deceit and loathing another side .. I found no logic in this things .. and you just put the same questions right 

wonderful job and thanks for writing this piece .. keep writing dear
Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 9 years ago
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
@CherryBerry I agree to your thought to an extant .. u too reading AJaya .. I was reading the book but for some reason I am not able to read it .. I just loved the way writer described the society of Hastinapur then .. It is much credible 
Cotswolds thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Pnachaali.. ๐Ÿ‘โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

Its fabulous. I loved the way you initially showed Suyodhana and his pure, innocent heart. His curiosity and bonding with nature, his love of God and clever reference to Shiva's poison. This is excellent imagination.

When you mentioned how Vidur could kill newly born under the guise of dharma, it made me think from his POV. You sketched his entire life so well. Bheema poisoning, Dyuta incident, Karna at Rangbhoomi and final duel pictured with convincing arguments.

Seriously you and Sayanee should co-author book on Karna and I am sure it will be more famous than Mrityunjay.

Let me read again and comment back.. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Cotswolds thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Panchaali.. I just wanted to reread it to experience the magic. ๐Ÿ‘ Its brilliant, one of your finest OS. 
Loved your detailing.. You have infused various fresh ideas like Laxman vadh, vikarna vadh which make you think. 
Great work..โญ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘
.Vaikartana. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Excellent and amazing work Paanchu๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ Loved dat u started describing Dury's POV from the very beginning as the innocent Suyodhana.Circumstances make a man good or bad.And yes when we read the epic we may come across him as an extremely evil man but it is described from the winners' perspective.I totally loved the logical approach and if we keep the Dharma -Adharma concept aside and think as a human we will feel for Dury too.Loved it Paanchu๐Ÿค—
riti4u thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Wow!!
This is beautifully written panchu..๐Ÿ‘

You described duryodha's POV so well..
As you know I share different opinions on him but then some questions that he asked looked so right...
He was not evil perhaps just misguided one and definitely righteous ones played their part in making him choose another path...
KHUSHI-99 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Very well written Panchali ๐Ÿค— ,Even I thought that dury fought becoz he thought what he was doing was correct ...the conflicts in his life is well shown...feel sad for Sury .