Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Thx Shriya

POI angle doesnt even make any sense to me unless Panchali has serious masochistic tendencies. I think most people who talk about that angle have significant sympathy for their character and want their hero to get the girl. Not only that, since she used his caste as an excuse at swayamvar, these authors seem to want her on her knees begging

My reasons for not believing it as possible or even probable

1) They had NO interactions except 2 very negative ones
2) In all her depictions, she is shown to be self-respecting. Why on earth would she behave totally contrary
3) Lets say he won the swayamvar. He would have handed her over to BFF, which would have been infinitely worse fate for Panchali. Panchali was very politically astute, she would have known this
4) No way in hell her husbands allowed Karna to interact with her. I know she was her own boss, but because no husband would want a gang of known pervs to loiter around his wife

I am open to interpretations of all kinds. Because, really, who knows what they felt? I always felt that Vyasa's narration would have been colored by the fact that he is talking to Parikshit, the grandson of Arjun and Subhadra. Liking Arjun as much as I did, Bheem was equally if not more a Mahanayak, but I can see he is not presented as such. Subhadra's marriage is described as a love match, but it was also very politically convenient for the Pandavs and Yadus. UPs and Ghattu also fought bravely by all accounts and in fact half bratha SK baby killed Abhi baby's murderer, but their praises are not sung. And while ParAv praises are sung, Madhav's active presence in Pandavs' lives began with their marriage to Panchali; she is not given credit

Now there have been other books written with the Karna angle. The only one I actually liked was Ini njan urangatte (And now, let me sleep). That made sense to me. Here she is spitting mad at hubbies after they start wailing and crying when Kunti told them about Karna. Then Krishna tells her not judge Karna by the one instance in his life (VH). Then she starts thinking back on some of the stuff and feels empathy and if I remember correctly, also thinks what might have been. There is no romance there, only regrets. Which was believable.

POI was complete butchery of her character for me. Immature teenager who refused to grow up, that was POI Panchali.

Interpretations have to have some basis in logic, right? The man and woman in question first have to meet, then interact and that too somewhat positively, right? And while love does make for strange behavior, the core of the person does not disappear when he or she falls in love, right? And when someone actively plans for you to be humiliated in the worst way possible where some have even killed themselves, that would kill any infatuation, right?
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
MS-meghasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
good morning everyone.

credit---twitter
Shriya95 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Exactly anu di...some hw ppl cant stomach d fact that a woman cn refuse a man...its f9 to respect n love that character, evn i hv some teeny meeny respect fr him but ppl r making draupadi a lady who ws desprate for him which is a laughable thought...n its sad how women only cant respect a woman's individuality...no offences but i hv seen remarks like 'she was only stripped not molested' n 'she deserve much more than stripping cos of her actions' n 'the reason fr her popularity is only because of this incident' on various places...n most of these remarks r surprisingly by ladies
Evn pooja getting more screen space than hr male co stars is not digested by ppl n they abuse her too!!

I m sorry fr sayin all this in d morning itself...starbharat maybe only a fiction show but MAHABHARAT is much more than that...mindsets of ppl hv to change if d nation hs to progress...with dat i wld end my blabber on this useless unrequired topic...
Uma90 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Good morning Drauholics πŸ˜Ž  Found online 
AnuMP thumbnail
Chill Shriya

Like putr Abhimanyu, the reason for respect is not how she was attacked but how she fought back. So, if they say VH is the reason for her popularity, they are right but not in the way they imagine

Lets say you take away all divinity from MB. You are looking at a girl 14-16 years old at a swayamvar who turns to her friend for guidance when Karna seems like he will win. Said friend is already a name in the world (as they would have known it) and she trusts him. No help will be coming from father or brother, they are looking for political alliance. The friend says no

What is this girl, barely a teenager, supposed to do? She used the first and most obvious excuse that came to her mind. It is extremely offensive in this day and age, but even today I can imagine a frightened young woman (not a teenager), using any excuse to avoid an unwanted marriage

Since then, Drau has been shown in MB to be very pally with Bheem's half-rakshas sons and Bheegi even posted citations where she wet-nursed a tribal baby. Does that sound casteist? In fact, she is supposed to have adopted and cared for orphans after KK war

Drau was a human being who came through agnipareeksha and developed depths to her that not even her hubbies had. 
devashree_h thumbnail
That book is very Mary Sueish.πŸ˜† It might be well-written but it didn't have any logic for me to follow. A strong Draupadi is turned into whiney, complaining, woe-is-me, mills-and-boons character. I can't understand 21st Century feminism, is she supposed to be in love with the guy who called her a wh**e and instigated her public stripping? Chi Chi.
Uma90 thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

That book is very Mary Sueish.πŸ˜† It might be well-written but it didn't have any logic for me to follow. A strong Draupadi is turned into whiney, complaining, woe-is-me, mills-and-boons character. I can't understand 21st Century feminism, is she supposed to be in love with the guy who called her a wh**e and instigated her public stripping? Chi Chi.

I concur with the part in red ! I just don't understand what makes this ppl think in such ways 
where do they get such ideas from... πŸ˜‘ sometimes i feel writers take too much liberty in expressing what they feel is right or could be right in thier heads... 
Edited by Uma90 - 9 years ago
MS-meghasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i am missing draupadi in the samraggi look...i wish to see her soon in that look with that fierce attitude
AnuMP thumbnail

Originally posted by: Uma90

I concur with the part in red ! I just don't understand what makes this ppl think in such ways 
where do they get such ideas from... πŸ˜‘ sometimes i feel writers take too much liberty in expressing what they feel is right or could be right in thier heads... 

Oh, they can take all the liberty they want. Freedom of speech means they can be as offensive as they want. But it also means they cant stop me from questioning their logic and their sanityπŸ˜†

Uma90 thumbnail
@anu : πŸ˜†πŸ˜† exactly 
@megha: me too miss her Samraggini Look