Users

Frequent Posters

luv_sakshi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Draupadi: The Fire - Born Princess

A Book Written By Saraswati Nagpal

Excerpts from the Book:

"In an ancient age, when gods and mortals walked the earth together... ...a mysterious prophecy resounds for all to hear, and the bewitchingly beautiful princess Draupadi arises from a sacred fire. Draupadi is in love with Arjuna, the Pandava prince. But fate weaves a strange story and she finds herself wedded to five men - Arjuna and his four Pandava brothers. Draupadi's life is complicated further by the Kauravas, her husbands' envious cousins, who try everything in their power to harm her and the Pandavas. As Draupadi's terrible destiny begins to unfold, she is reduced from a majestic queen with five warrior husbands to a servant girl. Evil waits at every corner, and a great war looms ahead. Her only comfort is her friend, Krishna. Will the impulsive Draupadi brave the humiliation destiny has written for her? Must she lose everything she has loved? Adapted from the ancient Indian epic Mahabharata, this is the story of an astonishingly outspoken woman, abandoned at every turn, and forced to make the difficult choice between revenge and compassion.
bheegi thumbnail
I found some quotes from the book Govinda of Aryavarta Chronicles...here is one about what Govinda means to Panchali:
I already have.' Panchali sighed. Govinda, she realized, found life in the tiny moment between two heartbeats, the potent silence between breathing in and breathing out. He hung on to that instant that was neither death nor life, and it fuelled his equanimity, his detachment and dispassion. He would know neither pleasure nor pain, neither desire nor satiation. In the very same moment, that instant between two heartbeats, Panchali lived many lifetimes, felt many passions. She saw Time as it was born, and as it died. She watched innumerable universes in infinite existences, in which the same story played itself out over and over again. Battles were fought, won and lost, between celestials and demons, and demons that became celestial and then fell from lofty heights, to begin the incessant, inevitable climb to divinity again.
luv_sakshi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bheegi

@Sabhyata, I agree...Govind and Panchali are both awesome in AC and that's why I enjoy reading this series. The other characters are mostly grey- even Ved Vyas has grey painted all over him. In fact, after reading AC, I wonder if Ved Vyas purposely made Yudi the protagonist in his epic to cover for his follies- if any thing in AC is even remotely true. Krishna Udayasankar says she has researched the story thoroughly so I wonder if some of the stuff she's implied could actually have a basis...we will never know

But I agree, unlike POI, where Karna angle had no basis, the Goli angle in AC is definitely a possibility...and I don't mind it at all as even other books like Yajnaseni and Krishna: The God who lived like man have hinted at that angle

I really liked the treatment of the characters in the AC..of course, one needs to read it with an open mind & without having any pre-conceived notions!

The Govind - Panchali bonding has been depicted very Beautifully therein! I also Loved how Strong Draupadi has been depicted in the AC..so true to her Character! And the grey shade they've given Ved Vyasa was really interesting!

I also Loved Krishna - The God Who Lived Like a Man! Great Book!!
bheegi thumbnail
@Sakshi...totally agree about Panchali and Govinda's characterization in AC

I'm so happy I got to read so many wonderful books because of this forum...otherwise I would have never found out about these books. We have such a great collection of resources here...
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

πŸ˜†
So true Suyodhan's characterization is much better than all six of them

the one i feel most bad about is Bhima.He doesn't have a single POV chapter

Even in AC during DS Bhima is the one who gets most angry at the insults being hurled at Draupadi but still he doesn't get a single POV chapter

Not sure if things are different later in the book

You once told me that in Kechaka track both Bhima and Arjuna kill him what happens in Jaydratha track in this book?Who saves Panchali?

Actually only Bheema kills Keechak but there is convo btw Arjun and Bheem before that. It just made me want to hug Bheem.πŸ€—. Jaydrath was much more horrifying but it was Bheem here too
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bheegi

@Sabhyata, I agree...Govind and Panchali are both awesome in AC and that's why I enjoy reading this series. The other characters are mostly grey- even Ved Vyas has grey painted all over him. In fact, after reading AC, I wonder if Ved Vyas purposely made Yudi the protagonist in his epic to cover for his follies- if any thing in AC is even remotely true. Krishna Udayasankar says she has researched the story thoroughly so I wonder if some of the stuff she's implied could actually have a basis...we will never know

But I agree, unlike POI, where Karna angle had no basis, the Goli angle in AC is definitely a possibility...and I don't mind it at all as even other books like Yajnaseni and Krishna: The God who lived like man have hinted at that angle

IMHO, love is never sordid. What we chose to do with it may be. If there was GoLi angle as many authors claim, they sacrificed everything for the good of their world. Which makes meπŸ˜­πŸ‘
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: AnuMP

Actually only Bheema kills Keechak but there is convo btw Arjun and Bheem before that. It just made me want to hug Bheem.πŸ€—. Jaydrath was much more horrifying but it was Bheem here too

That is why i want Bhima to have a POV chapter in AC.I think he harbors secret feelings for his sister in lawπŸ˜†

Regarding Govind and Panchali i agree a connection between them more than friendship i can understand and i also like their story in AC but still i would prefer to read about panchali only loving pandavas and pandvas loving her back😳

I dont know why some writer doesn't write about panchali actually loving only her husbands why some third angle always has to be included.

Some day i would like to read a panchali based book where she only loves her husbands and no one else
Regina_Lupa thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Do not post further
AT CLOSED
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Edit Edited by Nandiniraizaada - 9 years ago