Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Ya but its consistent with his characterization in the book i mean he is shown to be a good person much better than Yudhishtir in the book

Like Anu said epic characterizations have to be forgotten while reading this book and its much more enjoyable read than other Panchali based books for me

I have read two till now Yajnesani and POI didnt like panchali's characterization in  either of them.AC is the best in that sense

You may disagree SabhayataπŸ˜†. But I would take epic Suyodhan over epic Yudhishtir. As far as I am concerned, Arjun wuz robbedπŸ˜†

I think the author of AC feels the same way but she is not all that fond of any of Pritha's offspring
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
luv_sakshi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Krishnaa..can we name the next AT "Nityauvani" as discussed earlier? What do u suggest?
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnuMP

You may disagree SabhayataπŸ˜†. But I would take epic Suyodhan over Epic Yudhishtir. As far as I am concerned, Arjun wuz robbedπŸ˜†

I so agree. Arjun WAS robbed. Period.
I just hate the way, Yudisthir jumps in and declares Draupadi as the common wife. 😑
And before that, he says, "Arjun, u marry her first.". As if. 😑

I know, it's just a theory, but I too feel that Yudisthir dis everything on purpose to get Draupadi.
Yudisthir, Nakul n Sahadev reached the potter's hut before them.
How come, he didn't say anything to Kunti?
Arjun was coming back with a new bride, and that was a BIG news.

And I also think that Yudisthir purposefully was making out with Draupadi in a public place like the armour-room. So, that atleast one of her husbands can enter, and can be sent off to exile. 😑😑😑😑

And my Panchali was so unfortunate, that of all her husbands, her favourite one entered, and got separated from her for 12 years.

luv_sakshi thumbnail

Draupadi was ahead of her time, says Mahabharat actress

Debasmita Ghosh, Hindustan Times   February 02, 2014 

With an experience of modelling and a dream to make it big, Pooja Sharma had set out for the starry city of Mumbai from her home in Lajpat Nagar.

But, when she got a call to audition for the mythological character Draupadi for a TV show, she had laughed it off. "I kept procrastinating, as I never wanted to be a part of one of those over-the-top mythological shows," says the Carmel Convent girl, adding, "My mental transition happened when I finally pushed myself for the audition, and during the look test, when I was given certain dialogues, I realised that this isn't one of those loud mythical characters. Draupadi was a strong woman, who voiced her opinion against injustice... she was ahead of her time."

Ask Pooja, if being from Delhi has made her more sensitive to the issue of women safety and the need to stand up against injustice, and the 23-year-old says, "Safety is an issue for women everywhere, not just Delhi. It's about the overall mindset. I hope people get to take back something from the character I am portraying, and realise the need to speak up against injustice," she adds.

Talking more about her role in the ongoing show, Mahabharat, Pooja says that she's often asked if she's under any pressure to portray this character, which veteran actor Roopa Ganguly had immortalised in TV's first Mahabharata, back in the 80s. "I haven't seen that show, as I was probably a toddler then, but I have seen Roopa mam's acting in other shows, and she is a brilliant actress. However, I am not here to outdo anyone or compete with anyone else. I don't want to pressurise my mind with such stuff... I believe a lighter an actor is, the higher he or she goes," says Pooja.

- See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/television/draupadi-was-ahead-of-her-time-says-mahabharat-actress/article1-1179444.aspx#sthash.1OZlj250.dpuf
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: AnuMP

I think the author of AC feels the same way but she is not all that fond of any of Pritha's offspring

πŸ˜†
So true Suyodhan's characterization is much better than all six of them

the one i feel most bad about is Bhima.He doesn't have a single POV chapter

Even in AC during DS Bhima is the one who gets most angry at the insults being hurled at Draupadi but still he doesn't get a single POV chapter

Not sure if things are different later in the book

You once told me that in Kechaka track both Bhima and Arjuna kill him what happens in Jaydratha track in this book?Who saves Panchali?

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: amritat

I so agree. Arjun WAS robbed. Period.
I just hate the way, Yudisthir jumps in and declares Draupadi as the common wife. 😑
And before that, he says, "Arjun, u marry her first.". As if. 😑

I know, it's just a theory, but I too feel that Yudisthir dis everything on purpose to get Draupadi.
Yudisthir, Nakul n Sahadev reached the potter's hut before them.
How come, he didn't say anything to Kunti?
Arjun was coming back with a new bride, and that was a BIG news.

And I also think that Yudisthir purposefully was making out with Draupadi in a public place like the armour-room. So, that atleast one of her husbands can enter, and can be sent off to exile. 😑

And my Panchali was so unfortunate, that of all her husbands, her favourite one entered, and got separated from her for 12 years.

i guess Yudhistir's decision if seen from Panchali's POV will be selfish but he didn't do it only for himslef but also for hIs brother's

He knew that all his brother's had fallen for panchali and he wanted them to be always united and not fight over her so he took this decision for all of them

But yeah from panchali's POV it was a harsh one but its also the decision which made her who she is and led her to her destiny
FeistyQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

There are these authors that try to make their favourite characters feel bad for Draupadi, during her Vastraharan. 😑
If every character felt so bad for her, Karna in one novel, Duryodhan in another novel, etc, then y did the Vastraharan happen in the first place?
She would have been just made a slave officially, and the scene would have ended there.
No dragging by hair, no name-calling, no disrobing, nothing.
Very soon, we'll have another author writing Mahabharat from Dushasen's point of view, and in that novel, we will find even Dushasen feeling bad for Draupadi, while disrobing her. 😑
@black... πŸ˜† if any insane person would come up such novel wat wud he/she write? May be that Dushy was forced by Dury's orders πŸ€£ and that Dushy was feeling terrible as he attempted to disrobe her πŸ˜† who knows someone would actually come up with book on Dushy's POV too πŸ˜• 
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
There are these authors that try to make their favourite characters feel bad for Draupadi, during her Vastraharan. 😑
If every character felt so bad for her, Karna in one novel, Duryodhan in another novel, etc, then y did the Vastraharan happen in the first place?
She would have been just made a slave officially, and the scene would have ended there.
No dragging by hair, no name-calling, no disrobing, nothing.
Very soon, we'll have another author writing Mahabharat from Dushasen's point of view, and in that novel, we will find even Dushasen feeling bad for Draupadi, while disrobing her. 😑
[/QUOTE]
@black... πŸ˜† if any insane person would come up such novel wat wud he/she write? May be that Dushy was forced by Dury's orders πŸ€£ and that Dushy was feeling terrible as he attempted to disrobe her πŸ˜† who knows someone would actually come up with book on Dushy's POV too πŸ˜• 
[/QUOTE]
You never know...πŸ˜‰
luv_sakshi thumbnail
Draupadi's Story

My next story is the story of Draupadi. Draupadi was a strong woman, who could be just as aggressive as passionate and caring, depending on the situation. Her life was full of hardships, but it was also full of wonderful rewards as well. One thing that is for sure about Draupadi is that she was beautiful. There was no denying that she was a true beauty- her skin, eyes, and hair were all gorgeous. However, there was a strong soul behind that beauty too. Thanks to her strength of soul, she was able to face many challenges not only in her adult life, but also in her childhood as well.

Draupadi was the daughter of king Drupada. The king was a very loving and trusting father who wanted the best for Draupadi. Draupadi also had high expectations for herself as well. When she was young, Draupadi experienced something awful that would stay with her and help her persevere in her adult life.

One day, when Draupadi was about nine years old, the King took her on a hunting trip. Draupadi was so excited! She packed her best gear and planned out the whole trip. After the long journey, Draupadi and the king finally arrived at their destination. The first day and night was wonderful- everything went smoothly and according to plan. However, at dusk on the second day of hunting, a group of four boys started bothering Draupadi. They made fun of her because she was a girl on a hunting trip- they could not take her seriously. But Draupadi stood her ground and did not allow the boys to talk bad about her. She snapped and said something insulting to the boys, who became extremely angry. The boys decided to kidnap Draupadi to teach her a lesson. Draupadi knew she was no match physically against the four boys, so she let them take her. However, the whole time she was planning her escape in her head. She waited until the boys were not paying attention and ran from their grasp. It was dark, and with a head start Draupadi was able to get away and hide from them.

Although this moment should have terrified her and traumatized her, Draupadi used this experience to make her stronger and that strength carried into her adult life. Draupadi was the wife of the five Pandavas, which was unique in and of itself. Although it was shocking when she first found out that she would have five husbands, Draupadi accepted her situation and came to terms with it. This was not the end of her challenges, however. Yudhishthira, one of the five brothers, played a game of dice, betting everything he owned. Slowly but surely, he lost this bet, too. Now Draupadi was a slave of Duryodhana, Yudhishthira's cousin who had won the gambling match. Of course, he lost this bet too. Then, in front of everyone, Duryodhana orders his brother Dushasana to take off Draupadi's sari. Her sari amazingly became endless, never revealing her naked body! Although she never ends up being naked in front of everyone, this event would be extremely terrifying for anyone. Draupadi handles it in the best way she can, and she escapes in a decent condition. Her bravery and ability to handle scary situations started in her childhood and carried over into her adult life to help her in that awful situation.

Draupadi has always been brave, ever since she was a little girl. She can be aggressive when need be, but she never loses her sense of compassion. She is an extremely admirable woman!

Author's note: I chose to write about Draupadi because she has a great blend of characteristics. After I read that she can be both aggressive and kind, I knew she would be a great woman to write about. Also, the story about her being part of the dice game really bothered me, but I loved that Draupadi was okay in the end. I wrote the childhood story about Draupadi being in a scary situation where she was overpowered by men to foreshadow the adult story that I would write about. I wanted to lay a foundation of experience for Draupadi and show that she has been in tough and disturbing situations before and persevered. Draupadi is complex for me- she doesn't completely fight back but she also does not totally submit to the situation either. She is extremely clever in that way- and although she knows she physically is no match to the men, she is a match mentally. She can mentally handle situations a lot of women could not, and she uses those experiences to make her stronger rather than weaker. If she is capable of being the wife to five husbands, she must be a strong and smart woman. It takes a lot to be a wife, and if she can do that successfully she can do anything.

Web Source: Dolls of India

Story: Draupadi
Author: Narayan
bheegi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

🀣🀣

LOL

In that book Karna and Dusashan are the main villains in this track while Suyodhan is just too shocked at what is happening and wants to stop things but things are happening too fast for him to stop it

Like i said i treat it as a completely new story so then its fine for me

In any case panchali's characterization is awesome in that which is the biggest reason i like that book despite other things

@Sabhyata, I agree...Govind and Panchali are both awesome in AC and that's why I enjoy reading this series. The other characters are mostly grey- even Ved Vyas has grey painted all over him. In fact, after reading AC, I wonder if Ved Vyas purposely made Yudi the protagonist in his epic to cover for his follies- if any thing in AC is even remotely true. Krishna Udayasankar says she has researched the story thoroughly so I wonder if some of the stuff she's implied could actually have a basis...we will never know

But I agree, unlike POI, where Karna angle had no basis, the Goli angle in AC is definitely a possibility...and I don't mind it at all as even other books like Yajnaseni and Krishna: The God who lived like man have hinted at that angle