Piya Na Rahe Mann Basiya

Posted: 10 years ago

(Piya Na Rahe Mann Basiya from Tanu Weds Manu)

Hindi 
Piya na rahe man basiya 
Sakhi re...

English Translation 
[Love's no longer the beloved of my mind,
My Dear friend]

Paro - My love is not the lover I thought he was, he is not the God I idolised. He did not marry me for love, but out of hatred.  

Hindi 
Megh nahi bijuri ban barse,
Mohe ek chama hi nahi arje,
Pathar san karke jiyara,
Bole ja ban basiya...
Piya na rahe man basiya...
English Translation 
[No timid cloud, she strikes like a thunder, 
Finds me not worthy of a pardon
Her cruel heart as rigid as a stone,
Curses me to disappear in oblivion]

Paro He showers on me, not his love like the soft, life-giving rain ... but his harshness, like the piercing lightning. He does not deem me worthy of forgiveness. His heart as rigid and hard as stone, he bids me to leave him and disappear, for he will never let me into his heart or his life. 

Hindi 
Ansuwan sang mora bah gaya kajra
utri menhdi sookha gajra
is vasant ko patjhar kar wo
le gayo, le gayo, le gayo, le gayo rang, rang rasiya
Piya na rahe manbasiya...

English Translation 
[My kohl's awashed in tears,
Bridal motifs on my hand lost its glory, 
So did the jasmine beaded in my hair
My spring's cursed with falling leaves,
Look how she faded away all my colors, 
Love's no longer the beloved of my mind,
My Dear friend]

Paro - My kohl has been washed away by my tears. My bridal mehndi has faded, the flowers with which I decked myself as a bride have dried away. The marriage which heralded a new spring in my life, that marriage he turned it to ashes, the budding spring flowers into the dead leaves of autumn ... He has taken the promise of that new spring, that new life, away from me. 
The man I love, my rang rasiya ... he does not love me. The man I married, this is not my lover, not the man I loved. 

Hindi 
Pal na kate ab sakhi re piya bin
Neem sa kadwa laage din
Pal na kate ab sakhi re piya bin
Neem sa kadwa laage ab din
Us pe ye chanda, haye chanda bhi bana sakhi sautan ki,
Us pe ye chanda haye sakhi sautan ki
Teeso raat mori amawasiya
Is vasant ko...
Piya na rahe manbasiya

English Translation 
[Oh friend, Must I say, 
Every single moment seems frozen without her,
Oh this bitter day is killing,
And the moon befreinded my elusive lover too,
My fortnights in darkness so chilling,
Love no longer remains the beloved of my mind,
My Dear friend...]

Paro - How hard it is to live without that man, the one I thought loved me, cared for me. Now every day seems as bitter as the bitter neem. And now, even the moon seems to be the friend of my sauten, the darkness. For every night now is dark like an amawas for me. This day of spring, I lost my love, for he does not love me. 

Credit for translation : http://krsnamusic.com/lyrics/tanu-weds-manu-lyrics/piya-na-rahe-man-basiya-song-translation-piya-english-translation/

Note by translator ... the song is actually a voice of Manu's feelings, who's in pain for getting refused by his lover "Tanu". 

The lyrics in red - interpreted by me in the context of Paro Rudra ... they depict Paro's pain at her love being rejected by Rudra, and her realisation that he did not marry her as a result of her tapasya, but out of hatred because of the loss of his job.

This is the phase of Paro moving out of the shadow of the divine Shiv-Parvati story, into realisation that Rudra is a mere mortal, and she has a long way to go to win his heart. 

Have to hand it to the creatives ... this choice of song is wonderful! 
Edited by DiyaS - 10 years ago
Beautiful interpretation 😊 
Such a lovely song and soulful lyrics!! Your interpretation is beautiful ❤️
Tfs! Dis song is beautiful
So perfectly apt
Thanks Diya for the wonderful translation
beautiful interpretation
WOw - now it makes sense. it was meant to be Paro's POV... I wish there was a female reprise of the song - it would be more apt.
when this song was released i used to hear it so much n when i hear it again rr  from that time i has listened it so many times .lyrics is so beautifull n perfect for paro situation . it shows what she is feeling
beautiful song. thanks for the translation and interpretation😊 Edited by bluemoon255 - 10 years ago
Loved your interpretation, Diya.

A perfect song choice, so apt for the situation. Kudos to the creatives.