"Mahabharat- Different Versions -Perspectives"

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 10 years ago
Hello Friends, 

Initially, when we started the forum, we made sure that the discussions should be confined to, only the version of Ved Vyas translated by KMG for our reference & citations. 

However, lately, there have been a lot of requests, where the members would want to discuss the different versions of Mahabharat, for which the DT has agreed up on this, and come up with this one thread "Mahabharat - Different Versions - Different perspectives", in the  forum, where members are allowed to discuss the various other versions of Mahabharat EXCLUDING, the version of Ved Vyas translated by KMG, as that can be discussed in the rest of the forum and not in this thread .

And this comes with certain Rules, which are to be followed by the participants of the thread.

** Rules and Guidelines **

1. Source - Whenever, a discussion is started regarding any story/sub-plot of any other version of Mahabharat, members MUST provide the reference for the source, the name of the author, version et al (preferably at the top of the post),  and please add the link to the authentic source which substantiates your point or story.  If the story is from a book, please give the details like Name of the book, author, version, language etc, so that, these can be used later on (years down the lane) for one point references as well !

2. Bashing/belittling/mocking other versions -  As the essence of the thread is discussion of  different versions -  there will be different perspectives/opinions and arguments, but under NO circumstances does this give  any member, any prerogative to bash/mock/ridicule or belittle other versions  or writers or characters of those versions. Hence, any sort of bashing or mocking of members supporting other versions, or writers or characters of other versions will NOT be TOLERATED . 

3. Mocking/personal attacks on other members - mocking/personally attacking other members, who has a different view and who do not agree with yours are NOT allowed. Difference of opinions and views, makes the discussions interesting (to read and write), but those difference of opinions should be confined to the content of the topic and should NOT be extended to mocking fellow members, for having different opinions from that of yours . Please refrain from any sort of mocking/personal attacks on fellow members. 

4. Instigating comments - Any instigating comment with an intention to pick a fight or insult any member/character/writer of different version only to prove your point will NOT be tolerated .

5. Learning, discussion, debate - This thread should be "all under one roof" kind of thread where you can discuss everything related to different versions of Maha Bharat. 

6. Ved Vyas version in main forum, Other versions in this thread - As mentioned ealier, topics of the main forum will continue to follow Ved Vayas's version & what is shown in the show, as the base of discussions and the discussion of this Ved Vyas version is excluded in this thread . the discussion of other versions should be confined to this thread alone and do not extend them to any other thread in the forum.

7. Agree to Disagree - Please be open minded, avoid any sort of character assassination,agree to disagree and carry on the discussions in an amicable way . If you find anything offensive, please report the issue, rather than arguing over it and aggravating the situation. 

8. Reporting - One thing we would like to remind is, critical views & logical arguments are NOT bashing. They just add up to the topic to bring out true essence of discussion & debate. Hence, we kindly request you NOT to report a criticism as bashing, where in, it increases the work load for the DT , to go through all reports which are nothing but opinion based comments . 

9. Religion and sensitivities :  Think twice before you post... especially when matters are related to sensitive topic like religion and beliefs,  give a thought to it, think from the other persons perspective, so as , not to hurt the religious sentiments of fellow members. Please try to avoid something that maybe offensive because religious beliefs and sentiments are a sensitive topic.

For any concerns or issues or queries please contact mnx12 or our CM  *Resham* as next in hierarchy.

Hope you all have a great time discussing various versions of this Epic tale !

Thank you for understanding.

Regards
Mahabharat Dev Team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Some different versions are in this thread.
Edited by mnx12 - 10 years ago
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for opening this thread
Any one intrested in discussing Jaya
DrModel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I would like very much to discuss the following books
Jaya
Arjuna: saga of a pandav warrior prince
Yagyaseni
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Thanks for the thread DT... I wish to know what is there in Jaya..

_vash_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Thanks for opening this thread

Any one intrested in discussing Jaya

I would love to dicuss this book. 😊
_vash_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ...Diala...

Its the actual story of Mahabharat with some facts and sub stories at least thats what I think. 😛 
AnjanaYYZ thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Aside from books, I would like to know if anyone here seen the following versions:
1. Peter Brook's Mahabharata

2. Sanjay Khan's Mahabharata

If so I would like to know what people thought of these versions.  The first is certainly a very different interpretation of MB.  I saw it a long time back.  I would like to revisit it and see if I still find it as troubling.

More recently I saw a few episodes of Sanjay Khan's version.  For the most part seems to adhere to the traditional story.  But there are slight differences - for instance it had D asking for a husband 5 times to Shiv being the rationale for the marriage between Draupadi & Pandavas.    They had Arjuna all silent about this division of his wife-to-be.  The other four were totally agreeable and insistent on this plan.  The interpretation wasn't of course "radical' though I certain found the presentation hilarious.😆 
Edited by AnjanaYYZ - 10 years ago
LeadNitrate thumbnail
Tagging.
Does anyone remember  the Sahara show druapadi?  Mrinal kulkarni played drau. The show went on till rajasuya and then I lost touch. There they explained  her dilemma also quite well.

God what a beautiful  draupadi Mrinal was.
I am reading this book pregnant king,  which describes events in far away vallavi, home to illeswar/illeswari temple during events of MB. Also by devdutt pattnaik. There the protagonist  puts forward a nice question. Who to fight for? Men who go back  on their words or men who gamble away the kingdom.
More on it and ajaya later.
Also are local interpretation allowed? I woule like to discuss Parva in kannada and panchajanya  in bengali very muxh.
simplysappie thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ...Diala...

Have heard a lot of this book but haven't read yet .. Looking forward to read all the discussions on this n other books here ..
@All : Has anyone read the book yagnaseni ???