Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Panda- thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Wow, some really interesting information!
and loved the paintings. They were absolutely beautiful!
Thanks for the Pm :)
mandy001 thumbnail
awesome post...thank u so much.
LizBennett thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Dear Abhay and Kamal,
The stuff you guys dig up is amazing..and hats off in absolute sincerity for your efforts...πŸ‘

These portraits are in appearance stylized and idealized images...but do in fact, convey events of historical importance. I offer the comparison only to emphasize that at this time,Renaissance Europe was moving towards humanism and more realistic depictions of people and events...real or religious/ historical/mythological...
Having said that..these images from the Ain-E-Akbari are beautifully illustrated..and give us the only window we have to an image of that era...and also to the great man himself...

When I had gone to see the plant and bird miniatures from the time of Jahangir at the MET museum..there was a placard that said that some artists used brushes with a single brush hair...to illustrate the bird plumage...and their attention to detail is mind blowing and humbling...the effect of Europe or to be more precise...the European school could be seen in those images..

Emperors and other noble patrons were portrayed in a stylized manner, not that dissimilar to ancient Egypt ...side profiles, a certain pose..few realistic details...but some always do creep through... ,esp in later days of Akbar and during Jahangir's reign...but, during the time of Shah Jahan..wherein the decline of the Empire...was in effect eating away at the roots of the empire, painting codes became more rigid..
The miniatures I saw were by Basawan,and his proteges , Govardhan and another person..I forget...
But what I remember is simple awe and joy...that. Such works were left for us to view and marvel at...
Jahangir, for all of his opium addiction..was a quasi Renaissance man..a scientist, an art patron..and a nature lover...
I always think of Akbar as India's Lorenzo..our own Il Magnifico...with a bit of a restless Leonardo thrown in..😊

Edited by LizBennett - 10 years ago
LizBennett thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Btw..just wanna add that the elephant in picture 2 looked mighty happy...almost as if he was enjoying a joke...πŸ˜†
ShadeOfWhite thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Before I read your question, I was grinning seeing the women folk in the paintings. You are right! This shows the power ladies held in Akbar's era. I am amazed kaise uss zamane mein choti choti details bhi painters paintings mein capture karne ki koshish karte the. πŸ˜ƒ
i must praise Akbar also. did Aurangzeb overlook these? Lol...Hmm seems like Akbar was fond of boat ride be it battle or dating πŸ˜‰
Btw Asaf Khan was wazir since which year? Why hasn't he appeared in the show yet? πŸ˜•
I'll add more later..u know I'm traveling πŸ˜”Edited by tamy267 - 10 years ago
skanda12 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Abhay:

First of all hats off to you for so beautifully collecting and presenting this information! I loved it!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Regarding your 4 questions, this is my view:

1. The importance of women in that era: I think from what I see (from you research and from the serial irself etc), the Mughals were more advanced in using women as a whole in political positions and in their daily life and celebrations. The corresponding Hindu kingdoms, they have had a few strong examples of women in power, but I am talking of women as a whole.

The average Mughal women seems to have had more liberty than the average Hindu ruled kingdom women.

But there again we may have to check if women were used as "lucky charms:" or as partners and companions of standing and with brains.  Some cultures, for example, used women as "lucky charms" I am told ... which actually denigrates their status, because although they are present everywhere, their value is perceived to be less about their "brains" being valuable and they are used more as figureheads for celebrations, events, pre-war prayers etc.

I would use "brains" as a yaerdstick of judgement. If women were valued for their brains and thinking etc then they were well used. If they were used more for their "beauty" or "luck"  etc. then I would think they were ill-used.

2. The miniature paintings of the Mughals definitely pack more detail than the minitaures of the other kigdoms of the West that I have seen so far. Also here the King seems the subject more, whereas in the Western areai miniatures, Krishna and the Gods and their life depictions seems to be more widespread.

3. I am aghast that we have allowed the British to not only take away our treasures but also to distribute them to all and sundry later. This is abominable. Whay can I say?😑😑😑😑😑

4. If I am not mistaken the Mughals descended from the Genghis Khan ancestry, which may be the reason why they had a lot of land-locked kingdom management expertise, but the Navy was a relatively newish thing for them  perhaps after conquering vast parts of India especially the east and west coasts. But they must have developed skills because it was later given somewhere that Jodha herself was given control of the ships that carried Haj pilgrims. Is this correct? If Jodha, a lady, were given control of ships, then the ship and seafaring must have been more prevalent for  Navy use, because only after Navy requirements would they have built more ships for trade or  pilgrimages  etc?

Hope  my guesses have been more or less accurate?
Edited by skanda12 - 10 years ago
ayushimehra thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
GREAT EFFORT ABHAY, I WILL WRITE LATER.
Petal_Pose thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Abhay most of your research has again been confirmed by a famous Mughal Author. Those who read the 20th wife, the reason the author actually made Ruqu as one the central character due to her importance in Nur Jahan's life. She confirmed a lot of Abhay's research. Anyway! keep them coming.. The picture seems great. Will reply in full during weekends.. Thanks for the research again Abhay.
sonia_1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Fantastic post Abhay πŸ‘
The miniatures are incredible in its detailing β­οΈ
ChupChupKe thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Wow, some great information. πŸ˜ƒThanks for sharing, very interesting facts indeed.πŸ‘