Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pradarshak thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: Buffie

WHATTT😕..Rani commenced her movie career in 98,and its 8 years that she's been in bollywood for....I think 8 years is one hell of a time ......Albeit Rani was first seen in 97/98,her first solo hit was in 2002(saathiya)..Only after that was she brackted as one of the top heroines...

I agree on the point that Sridevi's shelf life was longer,she was there almost for more than  13-15 years....Perhaps when rani hangs her boots,she might have as many hits to her credit as Sridevi does😊

First of all let me clear it out Rani started her carrier with "Raja ki ayegi barat" in 1996. So, it's been alredy 10 yrs.

If you know, 80's is considered the bad period of hindi cinema. Good directors Sridevi worked with all I can say were Shekhar Kapur and Yash Chopra. Still she managed to shine at the top. Today Rani has Yash Chopra, Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Shaad Ali, Maniratnam, Sayeed Mirza. Don't you think she is lucky enough to enjoy such director's company. Also look at the heroes Sridevi had worked with most oldies except for Anil Kapur and Sunny Deol. Look at Rani's heroes, SRK, Aamir, Salman, Abhishekh, Hrittik, John, Saif. Don't you think it's unfair to compare Sridevi's career with Rani's. If you minus these heroes and directors from Rani's career would it exist at all? But Sridevi gave hits with some mediocre  directors with mediocre songs and heroes. Sridevi has been an inspiration to actresses like Urmila, Juhi, Karishma and they admitted the fact that  they were somehow influenced by her acting and dancing. Even the heroes like SRK(he was dying to do a movie with her, so he agreed to do a small role in "Army" with her) , Aamir think that Sridevi is one of the best actresses in the industry. I believe, Sridevi had immense potential in her but was not used(one of the main reasons is Bonney Kapur). Somehow she could not manage her career well.

Sridevi was a megastar in every way and she had the charisma , Rani to me is very simple, girl-next-door, plain Jane type. When another actress shares screen with Rani, the other actress steals the show(Preity, Kareena, Kajol). While Sridevi had great screen presence, no one could match up with her, not even the hero.

Sorry, if I sound harsh. Actually my elder sister was a big time Sridevi fan and somehow she managed to pass it into me. Also I love to dance, and I always look for an actress who can dance well. I love Helen, Madhuri, Vaijayantimala, Sridevi, Hema Malini. Among today's heroines I feel only Aishwarya can do some dancing.

sowmyaa thumbnail
One thing I agree in your statement is it is unfair to compare Rani and Sridevi..why??

Sridevi's first hit was Sadma(1983) and known last movie was Gumrah(1993), and she ruled during those 10 years because of lack of competetion; Amrita Singh, Padmini Kolhapure etc. were just not good enough, both charm and acting wise, to match her talent and public demand except may be Jayaprada. And then there were few untalented new comers like Sonam, Neelam, Kimi Katkar. Sridevi, no doubt a good actress, easily filled the vacuum created by aging Rekha and with Madhuri's arrival she felt the heat and soon Madhuri captured the stardom. Circumstances were very different for Sridevi and Rani.

Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

One thing I agree in your statement is it is unfair to compare Rani and Sridevi..why??

Sridevi's first hit was Sadma(1983) and known last movie was Gumrah(1993), and she ruled during those 10 years because of lack of competetion; Amrita Singh, Padmini Kolhapure etc. were just not good enough, both charm and acting wise, to match her talent and public demand except may be Jayaprada. And then there were few untalented new comers like Sonam, Neelam, Kimi Katkar. Sridevi, no doubt a good actress, easily filled the vacuum created by aging Rekha and with Madhuri's arrival she felt the heat and soon Madhuri captured the stardom. Circumstances were very different for Sridevi and Rani.

Sridevi had competetion with Rekha, Jaya Pradha, Meenakshi Sheshadri. Do you consider that these actresses were not good enough? So, does Rani has with Aishwarya, Preity, Kareena. Competetion is/was always there. This is about time and time will tell all.

insouciance thumbnail

and Rani had only Karishma Kapoor and Kajol and an aging Raveena Tandon for competition...and all were senior artists,and Sridevi too had her set of seniors like Rekha ,Jaya Pradha and Tina Muniam who were acting in the 80's..and  Jaya Pradha and rekha were definitely as good as Karishma and Kajol respectively

Rani's contemporaries Priety,Aishwarya were in the same boat..Infact Priety started her career with Soldier much later than rani did(correct me if I'm wrong).and Priety tasted success much earlier than rani did too......It took Rani 7 years to just consolidate her position,Something which Sridevi and Madhuri managed to do in much less time.....

If someone can be touted to be the next big star after Sridevi and Madhuri,I feel its Priyanka Chopra...Priyanka debuted in Andaaz did reasonably well,and the very next year,she had two smashing hits in Mujhse shaadi karoge,and Airaaz which was critically aas well as commercially acclaimed....and priyanka had Waqt and Bluffmaster in 2005,which only helped her to climb up the ladder,and in 2006,she has Don,Krrish,Salaam E IShq etc....all this only in 3 years,whereas rani took 7 darn years to deliver a solo hit....so if there's any star who would become the next BIG thing,its Priyanka.....Rani's way too overrated,and I very honestly think that she reached her apogee with Black and B&B,she'll slowly start fading out,and by 3 more years,it would be priyanka chopra and vidya balan ruling😊

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Sridevi had competetion with Rekha, Jaya Pradha, Meenakshi Sheshadri. Do you consider that these actresses were not good enough? So, does Rani has with Aishwarya, Preity, Kareena. Competetion is/was always there. This is about time and time will tell all.

I agree time will tell. And as I said before, actor/actress is very personal choice. If A likes one actor B might not light his acting or other way, so it's hard to say anything.
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

Rani's contemporaries Priety,Aishwarya were in the same boat..Infact Priety started her career with Soldier much later than rani did(correct me if I'm wrong).and Priety tasted success much earlier than rani did too......It took Rani 7 years to just consolidate her position,Something which Sridevi and Madhuri managed to do in much less time.....

Here you hit the right spot, if Rani is as good as Madhuri & Sridevi, she should not have taken so long. She had to wait for the departure of Madhuri, Kajol, Karishma, Raveena, Juhi. Madhuri and Sridevi came and conquered. Initially Rani was offered second heroines roles(even latest in Veer-Zara). Now I feel among the glamourous lot(I don't know if Vidya, Konkona would be considered in this category) only Kareena sometimes does little bit of acting(Chameeli, Omkara), rest are not good enough when it comes to acting. That too since Kareena has some problems with Johars and Chopras, Rani is getting the attention. So, with not much competetion acting-wise she managed to capture the vacancy of Johar and Chopra empire, and enjoying the fruits of success. Priyanka?? Dunno . May be she needs some more movies to prove herself.

Madhuri-Sridevi-Rekha did female character oriented movies in their initial 10 yrs career, which were super hits. Can anyone name a single movie which Rani carried all by herself or was a female character oriented movie?

sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Here you hit the right spot, if Rani is as good as Madhuri & Sridevi, she should not have taken so long. She had to wait for the departure of Madhuri, Kajol, Karishma, Raveena, Juhi. Madhuri and Sridevi came and conquered. that's what i was trying to say pradarshak. Sridevi never had as much competition as Rani had. You youself have listed this big list of actress that Rani had to go through compared to Sridevi there were not any talented actress in ther time like I mentioned. Initially Rani was offered second heroines roles(even latest in Veer-Zara). Now I feel among the glamourous lot(I don't know if Vidya, Konkona would be considered in this category) Konkana is very good actress, but not sure if she can make it in major commercial films, Vidya, i do have hope for this girls..she is really a good actress and have lot of potential to compete big heroines today only Kareena sometimes does little bit of acting(Chameeli, Omkara), rest are not good enough when it comes to acting. to me Kareena does not even know acting. I am sorry I don't want to offend anyone but she can't be compared to Rani. Karishma as I said before was really getting better but then she quit That too since Kareena has some problems with Johars and Chopras, Rani is getting the attention. So, with not much competetion acting-wise she managed to capture the vacancy of Johar and Chopra empire, and enjoying the fruits of success.Priyanka?? Dunno . May be she needs some more movies to prove herself.

Madhuri-Sridevi-Rekha did female character oriented movies in their initial 10 yrs career, which were super hits.madhuri and rekha i love those two actress so i won't doubt their potential, Sridevi as i said she was a good actress, but i will repeat myself Rani is no less than sridevi i would give them equal points..but then again these all are just our tastes...like what color anddress you like kind of thing. Cananyone name a single movie which Rani carried all by herself or was a female character oriented movie?

sowmyaa thumbnail
Pradarshak Asked---

But still my question is unanswered, can you tell me a single female character oriented hit movie by Rani Mukherjee? - Not yet!

Does she have the capability of carrying a movie all by herself? - Judging from her rise and the way she has evolved, Yes.

Sridevi surely had, if you see the initial 10 yrs of their careers. - I do admire her as good actress compared to peers of her time.
Pradarshak thumbnail

Pradarshak Asked---

But still my question is unanswered, can you tell me a single female character oriented hit movie by Rani Mukherjee? - Not yet! Sridevi had Nagina, Chaalbaaz, Chandni, Gumrah to her credit in her first 10 yrs in Bollywood.

Does she have the capability of carrying a movie all by herself? - Judging from her rise and the way she has evolved, Yes. I doubt without SRK, Abhishekh, Saif, Aamir, Hrittik, Amitabh she can do it by her own.

Sridevi surely had, if you see the initial 10 yrs of their careers. - I do admire her as good actress compared to peers of her time.

This I quoted from wikipedia :

Though producer/director Yash Chopra worked with all the top actresses of India, in MOVIE magazine, he reportedly said, "Juhi and Madhuri are good. Sridevi's the best". MOVIE magazine.

Edited by Pradarshak - 17 years ago