Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

Wow! so much said and written...I think I am late for my response...but I think Rani is NOT overrated. She deserves her fame and status in bollywood. I loved her in black and to be frank, she was far more better than Kajol acting blind in Fanna. I love Kajol more than Rani, but I got to admit she is doing great. When she first started out I hated her voice. I remember her voice was dubbed in "ati kya khandala" movie. And she got side roles or as second actress in couple beginning movies due to her voice. But she definetly proved her acting. To be frank, Madhuri is really good actress so I won't compare her to Madhuri. But she definetly comes in line to Sridevi. In short, No Rani is not overrated at all.

However, I do think these actor/actress things are personal choice.

Very well written Sowmya!!πŸ‘  I agree with every word. Rani, according to me, is definately not over-rated. She has worked with the best of directors, she has performed each role given very well and she deserves all the attention she is getting. Yes, she has some flops connected with her ... but then who doesnt?? Even King Khan & Big B have flops connected to their names .. so why cant Rani have them?!!!

And the last line says it all. This is a very personal choice. Some will think Rani is over-rated and some will think she is not or she is under-rated.  Its a very subjective matter and based on personal likes & dislikes.

purva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Wow! so much said and written...I think I am late for my response...but I think Rani is NOT overrated. She deserves her fame and status in bollywood. I loved her in black and to be frank, she was far more better than Kajol acting blind in Fanna. I love Kajol more than Rani, but I got to admit she is doing great. When she first started out I hated her voice. I remember her voice was dubbed in "ati kya khandala" movie. And she got side roles or as second actress in couple beginning movies due to her voice. But she definetly proved her acting. To be frank, Madhuri is really good actress so I won't compare her to Madhuri. But she definetly comes in line to Sridevi. In short, No Rani is not overrated at all.

Totally agree with you....

This is the first time I am writing in DM.... People have mentioned about Rani's so called glam doll type roles....but they forgot to mention two of her excellent performances..... 'Yuva' and 'Hey Ram'.... in both these movies she was acting with a bunch of great actors yet she managed to make a mark πŸ‘ πŸ‘

But I agree there was nothing so special about her acting in some of her movies..... Specially the one with Govinda.... I forgot the name. But all actresses have a bunch of such movies..... Even Madhuri and Shridevi had it so that does not make the actress less of an actress or a star.... my opinion
😊
Pradarshak thumbnail

Sorry Sowmya, I disagree here with you completely. You can't compare Rani with Sridevi. Sridevi was a complete actress(her gorgeous looks, tall and slim body, a terrific and graceful dancer, amazing screen presence, good actress( Sadma, Chaalbaaz, Chandni, Lamhe) except for her voice). I can't recall a film which Rani carried all by herself, she always has a good hero by her side. While Sridevi did carry films all by herself working with nominal and average heroes like Rishi kapoor, Vinod Khanna. She was known as Lady Amitabh of one time and considered as the hero of the film. She is still Yash Chopra's most favourite actress he worked with.

sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Sorry Sowmya, I disagree here with you completely. You can't compare Rani with Sridevi. Sridevi was a complete actress(her gorgeous looks, tall and slim body, a terrific and graceful dancer, amazing screen presence, good actress( Sadma, Chaalbaaz, Chandni, Lamhe) except for her voice). I can't recall a film which Rani carried all by herself, she always has a good hero by her side. While Sridevi did carry films all by herself working with nominal and average heroes like Rishi kapoor, Vinod Khanna. She was known as Lady Amitabh of one time and considered as the hero of the film. She is still Yash Chopra's most favourite actress he worked with.

Pradarshak, I always thought that sridevi was overrated. She was good dancer and actress, but physic to me has nothing to do with acting. I was talking more about talented acting. I think Rani is not at all less than Sridevi. Sridevi had lot of flop films too. Rani have just started her career. I think it would be too soon to judge her capability. Only actress I think was too good was Madhuri. Her acting was just too good. She would fit into any role and her each character in different film would look new and different. Sridevi to me looked sterotyped with character and acting....Rani is also sterotype somewhere, so I won't compare these two acress with Madhuri...as I said, actor/actress is really a personal choice and its hard to say one is good and other is not.... beauty lies in eye of beholder. However, I still think that Sridevi is not any better actress than Rani...I would still give Rani some time.
insouciance thumbnail

Pradarshak, I always thought that sridevi was overrated. She was good dancer and actress, but physic to me has nothing to do with acting. I was talking more about talented acting. I think Rani is not at all less than Sridevi. Sridevi had lot of flop films too. Rani have just started her career. I think it would be too soon to judge her capability.

WHATTTπŸ˜•..Rani commenced her movie career in 98,and its 8 years that she's been in bollywood for....I think 8 years is one hell of a time ......Albeit Rani was first seen in 97/98,her first solo hit was in 2002(saathiya)..Only after that was she brackted as one of the top heroines...

Only actress I think was too good was Madhuri. Her acting was just too good. She would fit into any role and her each character in different film would look new and different. Sridevi to me looked sterotyped with character and acting....Rani is also sterotype somewhere, so I won't compare these two acress with Madhuri...as I said, actor/actress is really a personal choice and its hard to say one is good and other is not.... beauty lies in eye of beholder. However, I still think that Sridevi is not any better actress than Rani...I would still give Rani some time.

I agree on the point that Sridevi's shelf life was longer,she was there almost for more than  13-15 years....Perhaps when rani hangs her boots,she might have as many hits to her credit as Sridevi does😊

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: WorldClassDiva

I also think she has a big fan base of young girls who like her because her looks are very average and isn't very glamorous or intimidating. They can relate to her because they do not feel bitter about her because she is short, slightly chubby and isn't drop dead gorgeous.

Also her fan base are of people who think she is what she portrays on the big screen. (Usually a plain jane woman who isn't seen as hot and sexy and somehow manages to win the heart of the "hero"). They somehow think she is like that in real life. Even though she is very arrogant and rude in real life (and yes i can say that because my kid sister experienced that herself), has had rumours of affairs with married men, uses people when it suits her and kisses up to people who can give her something.

More than anything else,Rani is immensely liked because she comes across as the girl next door who one can take to one's mother...Rani comes across as Simple,humble etcetera,and the media too has a pivotal role ...Mostly,its the Fourth Estate that weilds clout,and they have shown actresses like Rani in good light,something which the majority of the people would buy

wildblossom thumbnail
Cant add much now, but I totally agree with Buffie, WorldClassDiva, and Mashal πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

WHATTTπŸ˜•..Rani commenced her movie career in 98,and its 8 years that she's been in bollywood for....I think 8 years is one hell of a time ......Albeit Rani was first seen in 97/98,her first solo hit was in 2002(saathiya)..Only after that was she brackted as one of the top heroines...

I agree on the point that Sridevi's shelf life was longer,she was there almost for more than 13-15 years....Perhaps when rani hangs her boots,she might have as many hits to her credit as Sridevi does😊

ya, but she was not recognized for her movies before. It's now that she has started to get to peak of her career. It's like a life cycle of her career. You know that life cycle graph. I meant Sridevi had those chalbaaz, lamhe etc. during her peak of that graph. Rani's peak graph I think just started after Sathiya. So let's give her some time. As I said before, she is not THE best actress but she definetly is not overrated. I think it lot depends upon supply and demand for actress too. From whatever supply out there right now he is not overrated for sure. At one point i thought Karishma (after her Shakti and fiza) was getting so better and improving with her acting skill, but then she quit. So Kajol and Rani to me are few of those commercial actress left.
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: WorldClassDiva

I think you just contradicted yourself there. If she's not the best actress why does media, award shows, rani fans claim and say she's the best actress in Bollywood. I don't think she is.

Being overrated means getting more credit and getting higher ratings than what you're capable of.. therefore Rani is overrated

I think I already told this in previous post. We were comparing her with actress from past that are not rated right now. Madhuri, Sridevi, etc. are not today's age actress. From what we have out in market she is best right now and I don't think she is overrated. Now when I said she is not the best actress i ment to compare with past actress like Madhuri. I hope it was clear now.
MS.ATTITUDE thumbnail
She is nt nargis or madhubala per she is a v gd actress n she deserves all dat fame n yes she is nt overrated , remember luck plays a v imp role in any career.bless ya all.