Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lost_Soul141 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
i dnt think she is over-rated, she has done her share of roles, but i think she shud tackle more genres, for example she hasnt done any negative roles yet
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Rani is underrated.
She hit the ground running and always sought new characters...Once people thought that she would not be able to shake off 'Khandala' image but she has even moved on beyond 'Black'.
I like Madhuri and she is a much better dancer but compare the movie where she played the blind girl (the one she played Mother-Daughter double role) with 'Black' and see how much more definition Rani has brought to the character.

Abhijitji,  here you are forgeting one thing. THE DIRECTOR - The captain of the ship. Madhuri's film director was a some okay director, BLACK was by SL Bhansali. Actually I found Kajol more convincing as a bling girl (esp. in the dance "Desh hai rangeela", she did it very nicely), but that was an out and out commercial movie. So, we never expect a National award performance. If Rani was so good and convincing, I think she hould have also won along with Amitabh B.

Of cousre, Rani is good among the remaining lot. She is someone like "Sharmila Tagore", who was good too and bagged some good movies. Very popular in her time. If we look back,  we will never consider her as a superstar like Nargis, Madhubala, Nutan, Meena Kumari, Waheeda Rehman, Vaijaiyantimala, Hema Malini, Rekha, Sridevi, Madhuri . 

Also it took Rani long to come in where today she is. Look at Kajol, she came and she conquered our hearts with "Bazigar". I still can never forget her acting in KKHH and DUSHMAN. Esp. that scene where she gets re-united with her beloved Rahul in the children's camp. Konkona is also good , may be she is not a conventional beauty. She is very sponteneous, adaptive and very intelligent actress. Just watch, inspite of her drawbacks in the glamour world, how she shapes up her carrier. Tabu is good too. I feel her talent has been wasted.

Pradarshak thumbnail
Kajol-Rani are not in good talking terms. Rani once said it seems when they were kids Kajol was bit bossy type. Anyways, I don't think Kajol helped Rani bagging KKHH. For Tina's role, Karan Johar actually wanted to take Tabu/Twinkle even Ash was considered, but they all declined the second heroine's part. It was "Ati Kya Khandala" girl who finally ended up bagging the role.
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: popkurn

Over rated? Definantly not! Rani didnt just hit the big screen like a click. It was all her hard work that got her where she is now. You cant say shes over rated. She did an awesome job in Black! I could watch that movie hundreds of times and I wouldnt get tired of it. 

I can also watch that movie hundred times but only the first half.😉

NKSUDHIR thumbnail
I do agree with most of you that Rani Mukerji is overrated as some other Bollywood actors. Rani and Preity just got so lucky when Kajol, NMadhuri and Juhi Chawla stopped acting because of family reasons and Ash turned her way to Hollywood that there wasn't many good actress' in Bollywood. Rani is just a good looking doll. She has no good voice and height. But I must give her the due credit for outstanding perfomance in BLACK. Buny and Bubli: Any girl can play Bubli.
jprasad thumbnail
lol...great discussion about Rani.   ðŸ˜†   Is Rani overrated?? Personally, I don't think she is overrated and for me she fits my image of the girl next door. I generally go to see a movie based on content and Rani gets lucky cuz she is offered really meaty roles and so of course jp is off to see the movie. The Celinas and Priyankas look like plastic dolls to me and their roles are not substantial. Therefore, if they are good actresses I will never know because I can't find it in me to catch one of their movies. Another thing is that I actually don't see too much about Rani in the media in California. Not sure if I keep missing her in the headlines, but when I do see her in the media she comes across really nice. I know that she doesn't get along with some other actresses, but I don't think that is a new thing in Bollywood.

Personally, I much prefer Kajol to Rani and at the sametime I find Kajol to be an over actress. If you put over actor SRK and over actress Kajol together then we have blockbuster movies. I definitely prefer the SRK and Kajol chemistry. Kajol is a mindblowing actress and she always adds that extra umph to the character. Having said that my aunt once ran into Kajol and Ajay Devgan while they were vacationing. According to her Kajol came across quite rude whereas her husband was quite nice. Maybe Kajol was having a bad day. I think that it is kind of a stinker bopper that actors behave like that with their fans and without us they would not be where they are today.

I also feel that Rani does not have any chemistry with any of her male co-stars except Amir Khan. Sometimes, I think that perhaps her movies would do 10 times if that were the case. Even with SRK, their chemistry exudes friendship over lovers. I don't know if I am being bias. I do feel that she took Kajol's spot and if Kajol had not gotten married, perhaps Kajol would have been in Chalte Chalte or KANK. Sadly, I also think that if Kajol had played Maya, she would have been to give that role justice. I wish someone other than Rani had played that role, because she was not able to give Maya life. I dunno.

I think that Rani had a great role in Black and I loved her in Bunty and Babli. She had a very small part in Hey Ram, but she did an awesome job in that role as well. There is a refreshing simplicity about Rani that you can't really find in a lot of actresses today. The people that come to mind are Konkana Sen, Sushmita Sen, Amrita Rao, Soha Khan. As far as plastic doll actress go, I gotta admit I am a Bipasha fan. I think she has a lot of potential. Hopefully, she gets better roles. I like Kareena much more that Karisma, but her personality turns me off. I was kinda liking Rimi Sen till her...ummm...extremely retarded comment about making african blacks look pretty. 🤢 🤢   Why did I type this paragraph?

I remember seeing Rani in her first movie and I was like 🤢. I wrote her off right there and then, but I think she kept trying and people recognized her talent. She has evolved into a really wonderful actress. Again, the plastic doll looking actresses are hard for me to watch. Perhaps if these actresses focused a little bit more on acting and a little less on their extravagent makeup and extra short skirts, I would be more inclined to see their movies. 🤢
smartncute thumbnail
I really think Rani is over rated!!! She acts too smart sometimes. Edited by smartncute - 17 years ago
kaira11 thumbnail
though rani's a good actress she's done wonders in black but for me kajol is definately a more spontaneous actress n i think rani's definately over rated !!!
*TiA* thumbnail
i think the question was whetha rani was over-rated...nt comparing her 2 the likes of kajol n madhuri...bcos ther is no comparison. they both are legends in their own ryt n have revolutionised bollywood 2 sum extent...bt tht doesnt mean rani is over-rated. i agree rani is everywher @ the moment n thts 4 a gud reason...bcos every1 else is crap... 😆 😆. bt she 2 has slogged 4 yrs 2 get wher she is...so i dnt think she has got it easy. n how can she be as over-rated as u guys think... 😆 ...if tht was the case then y wud she win all those awards n critical acclaim. if sum1 is talented then they shud b praised 4 it n shud surely reap the rewards.
sowmyaa thumbnail
Wow! so much said and written...I think I am late for my response...but I think Rani is NOT overrated. She deserves her fame and status in bollywood. I loved her in black and to be frank, she was far more better than Kajol acting blind in Fanna. I love Kajol more than Rani, but I got to admit she is doing great. When she first started out I hated her voice. I remember her voice was dubbed in "ati kya khandala" movie. And she got side roles or as second actress in couple beginning movies due to her voice. But she definetly proved her acting. To be frank, Madhuri is really good actress so I won't compare her to Madhuri. But she definetly comes in line to Sridevi. In short, No Rani is not overrated at all.

However, I do think these actor/actress things are personal choice.