IPKKND (Arshi) OS ~Zindagi Kaisi Paheli~

ShrayaBiswas thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

So, I came up with my 2nd OS! πŸ˜Š

Here's the link to my first OS (if you want to read πŸ˜›)  Can't Let You Go

Note : I am really an amateur writer. So please ignore the mistakes but do tell me that how can I improve myself. All of yours comments, advice and even criticsm means a lot to me. πŸ˜Š

Note2 : Title of the story is inspired by the song 'Zindagi kaisi hai paheli...' from the movie Anand. The day Manna Dey passed away, I was listening to this song from the morning and this OS came on my mind. Life often gives us hard times, but to surpass it and coming up as a winner is what matters the most. πŸ˜Š

Well, Happy Reading! πŸ˜Š

Note3 : Italics are things of past. πŸ˜Š

Zindagi Kaisi Paheli

Arnav was driving back to his home. Home, where his Nani and his Khushi lived. Khushi - only the name was enough to bring a warm smile on his lips.

Arnav and Khushi were best of friends, since...forever. He clearly remembers the day when an angel named Khushi entered his life.

A five-year-old Arnav was quietly sitting on his bench in school, eating his lunch, during recess. He was new in this school. Hence, had no friends yet. Just then a girl with two pigtails came and sit beside him, and in the most cheerful tone said, "Hello!! Mera naam Khushi hai. Aur tumhara?" ("Hello!! My name is Khushi. And yours?"). Arnav being very introvert and shy by nature, hesitated to talk to her. Not getting any reply, Khushi poked Arnav on his shoulder. By then Arnav had finished his lunch, so he put his lunch-box in his bag and got up to go and wash his hands, ignoring Khushi. Khushi also went behind him. But still Arnav wasn't responding to her, he ran away from her to avoid her. But Khushi being, well...Khushi, how could she leave him alone. She also started running after him. Both kind of started enjoying the game. When Arnav stopped and turned around to find Khushi standing before him giving him her biggest grin, he also smiled and pulling her pigtail said, "Main Arnav hoon." (I am Arnav."), and they started laughing.

Noise of loud horns made Arnav came back to the present time. He was so into the memory that he didn't realize when the light turned green at the traffic. He started the engine and again zoomed towards his destination, memories of past running in his mind.

Arnav and Khushi were neighbors too. Their friendship grew stronger and more stronger as the days passed. While Arnav was a person of very small talks, Khushi was exactly opposite. Her lively nature and bright smile were the reasons why everyone liked her, and also probably why Arnav liked her a little more too, but did not realize until that day.

Arnav never realized how much he loved Khushi, how much importance does she hold on Arnav's life. It was not like Arnav took Khushi for granted but he always thought that Khushi was meant to be with him forever.

He felt his breathing stop when he heard that Khushi's marriage was fixed, with another guy. Everyone was happy, he also wanted to be but couldn't even smile from his heart. He still couldn't understand the meaning of that piercing ache in his heart. He went to meet Khushi, immediately.

Standing at the door of her room, looking at Khushi, who was in her own dreamland probably weaving her future married life, with a small shy smile on her face, Arnav realized for the first time the true meaning of his feelings towards Khushi. He knew Khushi was happy with this marriage proposal. He just knew, by looking at her. They never needed any words to express what is in their heart anyway. At that very moment Arnav decided that no matter what happens, he'll never let that smile falter off Khushi's face, his feelings be damned. But easier said than done. As the marriage preparations started, Arnav felt as if his life was slipping from him day-by-day slowly. He was there all the time with Khushi, as she won't have it otherwise. She would always want her best friend for everything. Arnav also did all of it, although grudgingly but with a small smile only to hide the immense pain he was having in his heart. the toughest part was when Khushi was biding adieu, after her marriage, to her family. Her eyes searched for Arnav, but he was nowhere to be seen. He saw everything but did not come in front of her, afraid of not being in control of his emotions. Khushi couldn't even see him before going to her husband's house. That night nobody could see Arnav. He was all alone, locking himself in terrace, crying. Crying for the future he could have had with Khushi, crying for the chance he never had to tell Khushi about his feelings.

After three months another tragedy took place in Arnav's life and this time in Khushi's life too. Arnav's and Khushi's parents being friends were invited to a dinner party, they were returning but couldn't reach their homes. They met with an accident on the way and were spot dead, leaving Arnav and Khushi as orphans. Fate could not be crueler to Arnav. He was shattered. More than that he was angry, at his fate. He didn't even meet Khushi when she came to do the final rituals. And Khushi left, again, without meeting him.

After that day Arnav became all the more introvert, rude and arrogant. He stopped believing in fate because that left him nowhere with his love and family. He never moved on, he couldn't. Whenever Devyani, his Nani, would ask him of his thoughts about his marriage, he would just outright dismiss the topic. He focused too much on his work because that was the only way to deviate his mind off Khushi and his parents, even after three years.

"I am fine", he would often try to convince his nani with a smile but only his heart knew that he was far far worse.

The sudden jerk again made Arnav came out of his thoughts. He was home. Getting out of his car and handling the key to Om Prakash, he went inside. He saw his nani sitting on the couch and chanting her prayers. He went and sat beside her. "Aur kitni puja karengi aap, Nani?" ("How much will you pray, Nani?"), said Arnav with a gentle smile. Devyani looked at her grandson and very affectionately, brushing hairs from his forehead, said, "Aaj itni jaldi aa gaye, bitwa." ("You came so early today, son.").

"Haan who bass . . . Khushi kaha hai?" ("Yes, actually . . . Where is Khushi?"), Arnav asked looking here and there. Devyani smiled a little bit more and said, "Who aapan kamre mein hain." ("She is in her room.").

Before she could even complete her sentence, Arnav went to her room to meet Khushi. Devyani just looked at where Arnav went and thought, "Arnav ko apni khushi' mil hi gayi." ("Arnav got his happiness' at last.").

Khushi was standing by the window, one hand on her belly, lost in her thoughts. Arnav went and stood by her side and placing his hand on her shoulder said, "Kya soch rahi ho, Khushi?" ("What are you thinking, Khushi?"). She let out a sigh realizing that Arnav was there. She turned towards Arnav, smiled, which did not quite reach her eyes, and said, "Kuch nahi." ("Nothing."). Arnav looking at her belly, which had a slight bump, asked her, "How is she?". When Arnav asked her this, there was a warm feeling in his eyes, Khushi noted.

"Wo bhi theek hai." ("She is also fine."), said Khushi caressing her belly and with a smile which, this time, did reach her eyes.

"Tumne khana khaya?" ("Did you have food?"), asked Arnav concernedly.

"Nahi...bass mann nahi-" ("No...didn't feel like-")

But before Khushi could complete her sentence, Arnav bit out angrily, "Tumne abhi tak kuch nahi khaya? Tum janti ho tumhare liye sab kuch time pe hona kitna zaruri hain. Tum itni laparwah kaise ho sakti ho? Agar tumhari tabiyat khaab ho jaati toh? Agar baby ko kuch ho jaata toh?" ("You didn't eat anything yet? You know how much it is important for you to be everything on time. How can you be so careless? What if you got sick? What if something happened to the baby?").

Khushi looked at Arnav warmly and her lips curved upwards a bit. Putting her hand on his shoulder, she said. "Arnav! Bass!! Kuch nahi hua. Hum dono thik hai. Tum itni choti si baat par itne pareshan kyu ho jaate ho?" ("Arnav! Enough!! We both are fine. Why do you get so tensed on petty matters?").

Arnav frustratingly raking his fingers through his hair, gritted out, "Choti si baat? Tum...tum baitho, main khana lekar aata hoon." ("Petty matters? You...you just sit here, I'll bring the food.").

Arnav went outside to bring her food. Khushi sat on the bed, lost in the thoughts of her past.

It has been only three months of Khushi's marriage when hers and Arnav's parents' accident took place. She was shattered. When she went to her parents' home, she wanted to meet Arnav and share her pain with him. But Arnav was nowhere to be seen. Being hurt, Khushi returned to her in-laws' house.

Khushi was happy in her married life. Her husband loved her, her in-laws adored her but she realized that it was all a drama, when after three years she got pregnant. It was the happiest day of her life when she got the news that she was going to be a mother. Being the ever-joyful girl, she immediately started weaving dreams of her life with her little family. But it soon shattered when she was forced to go through the test by which her child's sex could be determined. It was found out that the child was a baby girl. Her furious in-laws after knowing this tried to force her for abortion for many days. Fearing for her child's life, she fled from there and took shelter in an orphanage far away from her in-laws' house, so that they can never find her and her child.

She started living life by her own, accepting her fate. But she was no more the Khushi that everybody used to know. Now, she talked less, didn't mingle with people and her smile got lost somewhere. And that's when and where Arnav found her. He was there for some other personal reason. On seeing him, she couldn't control her emotions anymore. When Arnav heard her story, he went mad with the rage boiling inside him. He wanted to punish those people who dared to hurt Khushi but Khushi stopped him saying that she doesn't want any more interactions with those people. After many arguments, Arnav agreed and also convinced Khushi to go with him to his home.

And now after three months she was here. Arnav and Nani took care of her a lot.

Arnav, always concerned about her, never let her realize that she was an outsider here. Outsider - if Arnav would hear this, he would have been very furious. Once during their ever going arguments, Arnav told her that she and her child were his responsibility now and she will only do things which he will tell her to do.

That day Khushi was very angry on him. But now whenever she recalls this incident, a warm and content smile comes up on her lips.

Arnav always stood beside her in every step during her pregnancy. He was even there on her first ultrasonography. The sweet and warm smile on Arnav's face when they heard baby's heartbeat was so heart touching as if this was his own baby. His baby - yes, of course it was his baby, his and Khushi's baby. So what if it wasn't his own blood. He was a true father to this child in every sense. Nobody can take this right from him.

She knows. She knows what Arnav feels for her. She can read it in his eyes. Though he had never told her. Stupid Laad Governor of hers. Yes, he was hers. After so many years when she was really happy with her life, she knew that it was all because of Arnav. She has fallen for him, not out of obligation. The feeling was from her heart, purely involuntary. She knows Arnav is planning to propose her for marriage. When he will do that, she would have only one answer to his question.

The sound of footsteps told Khushi that Arnav was there. He was standing by her bed with a plate full of food. Khushi holding Arnav's wrist made him sit by her side. Arnav sat and took a spoonful of rice and held it in front of Khushi's mouth. Khushi automatically opened her mouth and took it. Arnav was preparing for another morsel when Khushi quietly asked, "Hum dono tumhe bohot pareshan karte hai na?" ("We both trouble you a lot, right?")

Arnav looked at Khushi at once as if he was accused for a crime he never did.

"Tum aisa kyu soch rahi ho, Khushi? Tum aur princess meri zimmedaari ho. Tum dono ka pura haq hai mujh par. Main kabhi tumse pareshan nahi ho sakta." ("Why are you thinking like this, Khushi? You and princess are my responsibility. You both have right on me. You can never trouble me."), he explained for the umpteenth time.

"Hum tumpe haq kyu jataye Arnav?" ("Why should we have right on you Arnav?"), Khushi asked innocently. She was trying to test Arnav's patience that till when he will hold his feelings from her.

"Haq hai kyuki...", Arnav shut his eyes frustrated by not able to express his feelings but decided it has to be done anyway, he wouldn't have it otherwise, then why not now?

Arnav held Khushi's hand, keeping the plate on the side-table.

"Khushi, main tumse kabhi yeh baat keh nahi paya, lekin abb aur chup nahi reh sakta." ("Khushi, I could never tell you this, but not anymore, I can't be silent anymore.").

Arnav paused for a bit.

"Pichle teen salon se main ek jhuthi zindagi jee raha tha. Dil ko tasalli deta tha ki main khush hoon par sachhai usse koso dur thi. Mamma aur Dad ko khone ke baad main aur toot gaya. Lekin jab main tumse firse uss orphanage mein mila, tab laga ki meri saansein wapas aa gayi hai. Lekin meri Khushi kahi kho gayi thi..." ("I was leading a false life from the past three years. Used to console my heart that I was happy but the truth was miles away from that. After loosing Mamma and Dad, I broke all the more. But when I met you at that orphanage, I felt like I found my breath. But my Khushi was lost somewhere...")

Khushi was weeping slightly but she had a small smile on her face, a genuine smile.

Hearing her sobs, Arnav looked up but seeing her smile he got back his confidence and he said further, directly looking at her eyes, "Main tumse bohot pyaar karta hoon Khushi. Nahi dekh sakta tumhe aise. Ek baar tumhe kho chuka hoon, dobara nahi khona chahta. Main apni zindagi aur akele nahi bitana chahta. Tumhare saath bitana chahta hoon. Tum aur princess meri duniya ho, mera sab kuch ho..." ("I love you a lot Khushi. Can't see you like this. I have lost you once; don't want to lose you again. I don't want to live my life alone anymore. I want to spend it with you. You and princess are my world, my everything...")

He put his other hand on her bump.

"...nahi jee sakta tum dono ke bina. Pata hai, Khushi, jab pehli baar maine princess ki dhadkan suni toh aisa laga ki wo mujhe pukar rahi hai, ajeeb sa sukun aaya dil ko..." ("...can't live without both of you. You know, Khushi, when I heard princess's heartbeat for the first time it felt like she was calling me, I had a strange peace in my heart...")

Arnav's eyes were moist.

"Princess meri beti hai, Khushi. Wo meri gudiya hai. Khushi, main humaare ateet ka saaya bhi princess par padne nahi dunga. Hum ek nayi shuruat karenge. Hum aur humari gudiya. Sab bhool jao, Khushi. Jitna bura hua sab. Kyuki abb sab acha hoga, main kuch bura hone hi nahi dunga. Khushi, marry me?") ("Princess is my daughter, Khushi. She's my doll. Khushi, I wont let even the shadow of our past to fall on our princess. We'll have a new start. Our princess and we. Forget everything, Khushi. Forget all those bad things. Because all will be well now, I won' let anything bad happen. Marry me, Khushi?")

A tear drop fell from Arnav's eyes.

Finally he confessed his feelings to her, he felt an abnormal peace at his heart. Only he didn't know that he had to just ask her, the answer was ready.

"Haan." ("Yes."), Khushi said cupping Arnav's cheeks by her hands. "Main apne ateet ko bohot pehle bhula chuki hoon, Arnav. Abb meri Zindagi mein sirf tum, hamari bacchi aur yeh parivaar hai. Humari choti si duniya." ("I had let go of my past a long time ago, Arnav. Now there are only you, our daughter and this family in my life. My small world.")

Khushi was crying by now, but the tears were of happiness.

Arnav covered her hand with his and leaned on it to feel her touch more. He had a warm smile on his face.

Khushi further said, "Main tumse shaadi karne ke liye taiyaar hoon, Arnav. Isliye nahi kyuki mujhe karna chahiye balki isliye kyuki main karna chahti hoon." ("I am ready to marry you, Arnav. Not because I should but because I want to.")

As soon as Khushi said this, Arnav hugged her tightly, cradling her head near his heart. He kissed her forehead with as much as he could shower on her. Their tears mixing with each other, having a happy and content smile on their faces.

They knew that their life wasn't perfect but they have learnt to look beyond the imperfections and be happy with what they have. And they felt that their life will be nothing but perfect from now on. They will make it perfect. Together.

----------

So, how was it???? Good?? Bad?? Worst??? Please do tell me!! It will only take a moment to comment but your responses are like a lot for writers! πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by ShrayaBiswas - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cozy_mango thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Beautifully written OS! πŸ˜Š
chandana.s thumbnail