Of Gurus and Shishyas....

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
There are four (at least) noteworthy Guru- Shishya relationships in the MB, each having a decisive effect on the events that occurred in future.

Dronacharya- Arjuna : By far the most famous Guru- Shishya duo. So exemplary was their relationship towards each other that even today we have the Arjuna Awards and the Dronacharya award. Everyone knows about these two and there's not much to add, except that it was Arjuna who was the determining factor in this relationship.  Because of his thirst for knowledge, his unflagging practice and his devotion to his chosen field (archery) he had to become Drona's favourite disciple. 

Karna- Parashurama : This relationship has been subject of many debates on who was right and who was not. In this particular context, I do hold Karna responsible for the mess he found himself in. While he may have been a tragic figure ( I do accept that he was unlucky in several aspects), in this situation he loses my sympathy. Why? A guru- shishya relationship is sacred and hallowed, based on trust and devotion. When a shishya is accepted by a guru, he unconditionally offers himself at the guru's feet. There's no place for deceit or falsehood. Karna may have had noble intentions when his guru was asleep with his head on his (Karna's) lap, but the whole relationship was based on a lie. And such a lie is bound to come out. Parashurama was outraged not because Karna was not a brahmin- but because he had lied to his Guru. That was unpardonable.

Drona- Eklavya:  Probably the most controversial. Why did Drona demand Ekalavya's right thumb as Guru- Dkshina? Because that was not the age of e-learning. Archery was a skill that had to be learnt in controlled and supervised conditions. It could be taught only by a qualified guru. Apart from the usual skill of marksmanship, archery also involved the learning of special mantras by which the archer would be able to summon the powers of the elements. Before learning such mantras, the students were  oath bound to use such weapons only under the extraordinary circumstances. Drona might have felt that,  in future, there may be many more Ekalavyas, all learning by themselves, not adhering to any system, practicing archery willy - nilly. The carefully crafted science of Archery would become diluted.

I am not defending Drona's actions here. What he did to Ekalavya was blood- curling. No body knows how Ekalavya learnt. Perhaps he was a born prodigy. But because of his exaggerated Guru bhakti, he paid a very heavy price. To the man who never really was his guru. 

Krishna- Arjuna:  IMO, the best and most ideal Guru- Shishya in MB. What can I say of this duo? At the crucial juncture, when the conches have been blown, when he realizes the enormity of what was about to unfold, when he realizes that...for the first time ever...  his Gandhiva had slipped from his hands...Arjuna realizes that he needs help...  he says, in all earnestness " shishyate aham sadhi maam tvaam prapannam" (BG II ,7).

Krishna assumes the role of friend, philosopher and guide.

How dear was Arjuna to him is evident when he declares "Pandavanaam Dhananjayaha". And Arjuna's overwhelming  gratitude is evident when in the end he admits candidly, "karishye vachanam tava"

Edited by varaali - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Wonderful post varaali.
A Guru's role in his Shshya's life is very important. He moulds his Shishyas. If he gets an eligible intelligent Shishya then the outcome is excellent. 
Arjun was Drona's favourite. Every Guru teaches all his students but there is always someone special, whom he wants to give extra. Arjun was one such special student for Drona. Arjun too worked hard, passed all his tests, grasped everything he was taught. He was really fortunate to be Drona's favourite.
Eklavya was quite independant, he knew a Guru like Dronacharya will not agree to teach him, if he had approached him directly. So he picked up Archery skills by watching Dronacharaya teaching K & P. Was Dronacharay right in asking his thumb for Guru dakshina, is better left as per personal interpretation by different brains. But if one has learnt something from a Guru, it should be acknowledge. It is said, always a Guru's rin should be paid as per our capacity, then only we are eligible to use the Vidya received from him. Eklavya was free from this Guru's rin. He didn't hesitate in giving his thumb that shows strength of hiss character. later on he learnt to use his left hand for Archery, this shows if a person is capable, nothing can stop him. Instaed of blaming Dronacharay for asking his thumb I consider Eklavya as a much better student, inspite of all hardships, he proved himself. 
Karna at any cost wanted to learn from Parashuram. He lied to his Guru , which costed him his life. It shows a Guru's blessings are so much needed for his Shshya.
Arjun was really fortunate to get a Guru like Dronacharaya & later Krishna guided him to the path of success in his life. This relation was so special that others make Krishna's role questionable for supporting Pandavas. But Krishna was on Dharma's side, so was Arjun. Only a Shishya like Arjun can have the desire of not wanting to fight with his own relatives, whereas majority on the other side was ready, excited to fight. Only a Guru like Krishna can guide him with Bhagvad Geeta, which cleared all of Arjun's doubts & he was ready to fight for his rights. That's why that battle field is called Dharmakshetre- Kurukshetre.
Edited by mnx12 - 10 years ago
Gold.Abrol thumbnail
Beautiful varali
Awesome thread n wonderful creation 
Truely said Guru is the most important figure in ones life 
as wrong teachings lead to destruction of life
n Correct teachings can bring back peace in life 😊
debaleena_tunai thumbnail
lovely post dear.. 👍🏼
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Awesome post!

Each guru holds a particular student very close to his heart and Arjun was really fortunate to be Drona's favourite. I'd credit his devotion for the art as well.

About Karna-Parshuram, Karna was unaware about himself being a Kshatriya but he knew he isn't a Brahmin. This relationship was built on a lie that resulted into a curse. Some may feel pity for Karna in this case but his lie can't be justified. A sacred relation can't stand on a lie.

In Drona-Eklavya case, to be honest I've disliked Drona for his demand of Eklavya's thumb whom he never taught. Despite of all odds Eklavya justified himself worthy and will always be remembered as an ideal student.

Krishna-Arjun...these two have been the best undoubtedly. The teacher was the lord himself.
shivpriya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Krishna is the best teacher, guide, philosopher and friend tht anyone can have! I always look up to his teachings in the Bhagwad Gita whenever m troubled. 😊 

Tnx 4 sharing it varaali!  
-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
Excellent POV Varaali...
Krishna Arjun was the true "Friend Philospher Guide" wali relation!! 
They both made the best combo!! How trust fosters a relation. Arjun's trust on Krishna was so invincible, and that made him the true eligible recipient of the the Great Geeta Gyaan.
gowri1712 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
Guru Shishya relation is one of the strongest!
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Varaali

You forgot Balarama-Duryodhan & Balarama-Bhima
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
^^^^ Was it anything out of the ordinary? 
I chose only those Guru- shishyas where there was something exceptional- positive or negative. I don't recall Balarama - Duryodhana's relationship being anything out of the ordinary, but if you feel there was, you are welcome to add your views. 
Edited by varaali - 10 years ago