Jodha Akbar

Wasn't Salima childless as well?

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
While watching the show, I had a question. When I looked up information on Salima's character, I read that she and Bairam Khan were a childless couple, and that 9 years after her marriage to Akbar, she gave birth to a son. There is no mention of Rahim. Is he a character created by Ekta Kapoor, or is there a historical account that writes him as Salima's son with Bairam Khan?

Salima Sultan Begum

After only three years of marriage, Bairam Khan died in 1561 as a result of the intrigues against him instigated by Maham Anga, which culminated in his murder. Salima was subsequently married by her first cousin, Akbar, in the same year. She was three years and seven months older than him. Akbar had been greatly impressed by his talented cousin which was the main reasons for him marrying her aside from the fact that Salima was his only other wife apart from Ruqaiya, who was of the most exalted lineage, being a Timurid through her mother's side and thus, a granddaughter of Emperor Babur in the maternal line.[8]

Salima was Akbar's favourite wife apart from his first wife and chief consort, Ruqaiya Sultan Begum, and had a major say in the affairs of the state. Being an extensive reader, she kept accounts of her encounters with the Emperor and the state of affairs. Salima was thus, the most senior figure in the imperial harem after Ruqaiya and was second in status, power, and authority only to her. As a result, she wielded significant great influence in the imperial harem along with Ruqaiya. Both Salima and Ruqaiya's influence in the harem was unmatched by any of Akbar's other wives.[5]

After nine years of marriage with Akbar, Salima gave birth to a son, Prince Murad in 1570.[9] She still did not try to claim her son's position as Akbar's successor as she dearly loved Salim (the future Emperor Jahangir) and greatly supported him as her husband's successor along with Ruqaiya Begum; despite the fact that Salim had not proven to be a worthy future emperor. Another fact being that her son, Prince Murad, died before both Salima and Akbar in 1599.

The extent of Salima and Ruqaiya's influence in the Empire and over Akbar, came to the fore in the early 1600s, when both the women played a crucial role in negotiating a settlement between Akbar and Jahangir when the father-son's relationship turned sour, eventually helping to pave the way for Jahangir's accession to the throne.[10]

In 1575, Salima went for the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca along with her aunt Princess Gulbadan Begum and many other royal ladies.[11] Salima was an accomplished poetess and collected a library, to which apparently copy of all books had to be contributed, which had any currency in court circles.[12][13]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pooja-menon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Rahim is not a fictional ..he is part of history... he was not Salima and Bairam's son.. He was the son of Bairam and his first wife

Salima gives birth to Jalal's son later on I think his name was Murad.. 
Edited by ....Poojie.... - 10 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: ...Poojie...

Rahim is not a fictional ..he is part of history... he was not Salima and Bairam's son.. He was the son of Bairam and his first wife

Salima gives birth to Jalal's son later on I think his name was Murad.. 

Ohh really? Was Bairam Khan's first wife dead, which is why he's with Salima?
pooja-menon thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Ohh really? Was Bairam Khan's first wife dead, which is why he's with Salima?

Yeah we can assume she was dead..
sweet_5 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Rahim's two boys actually were killed by Akbar's son Jahangir as well, I read the Rahim also was a Krishna devotee
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: sweet_5

Rahim's two boys actually were killed by Akbar's son Jahangir as well, I read the Rahim also was a Krishna devotee

Really? ðŸ˜² Why did Jahangir kill them? They were like his step-nephews.
sweet_5 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Really?😲 Why did Jahangir kill them? They were like his step-nephews.

Apparently Rahim didn't agree with jahangir getting the throne after akbar died so he killed them and let their bodies rot where they were killed