SRK and Salman.. what actually happenned?

IamaPCmaniac thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Ok guysss.. let me telll you one thing about myself: I just dont know what exactly happenned between Salman n SRK, and why did the actually fight? I just relly dont know what happenned, and i really want sumone to tell me.. i was just watching oso, and I saw sk in the title track, and I was like W*F? that means they were on talking terms in 2007. but what exactly happenned between them! And yeah i dont want any fan wars here.. I love and respect both the actors but i just wanna know... pls dont give any silly or comic comments.. i am asking this to you very seriously.. hope ill get good replies!
Thankkks

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheJourney thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

thnx for opening this topic ðŸ˜› coz thr r several rumors, but i donno for sure too
-meera thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Salman dated Ash and SRK cheated on Gauri with her. At Kat's birthday party, SRK said something about Ash which led to a fight. Dunno what he said.
shadesofme thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
i recently read an article on them and i think that will help to understand this case better lol

Salman Khan versus Shah Rukh Khan: The real story

The verbal duel between Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan on 16th July, 2008 at a restaurant in Bandra West, Mumbai is regarded as one of the biggest Bollywood scandals to date.

Both Salman and Shah Rukh, till this day have refused get into the details that led to the feud. However, what I am going to do here is no speculation. I will analyse and narrate the incidents that led to the infamous fight in this new series.

And if you think you know the real reason, you are wrong.

Much after the incident took place, it was reported that Salman Khan and Shah Rukh came to blows because of an unsavoury remark made by the latter about his ex-girlfriend Aishwarya Rai. It was enough to raise Salman's ire, and he charged towards Shah Rukh to rain blows on him. The latter was prepared to do the same and had his fists clenched in anger. Both were using the choicest expletives in full view of the Bollywood fraternity who had converged to celebrate Katrina Kaif's birthday on Salman Khan's personal invitation.

That fight was predictably played up in the media and continues to be fodder even now. To this day, the two stars religiously avoid bumping into each other at events.

But do you think that fight was just over a remark that Shah Rukh made about Aishwarya? Or was it just a knee-jerk reaction from Salman Khan when he heard a disparaging about his ex? Or, was Shah Rukh upset because Salman had made an uncomplimentary comment about the reality show he was hosting? Or was it some deep-rooted, sub-conscious hate against each other coming to the fore because both were drunk?

It was not a fight that started that evening…

Most of the reports about the triggers of the incident are true. There were some uncomplimentary remarks made about Aishwarya. It is also true that Shah Rukh was upset about Salman's remark that his reality show Kya Aap Paanchvi Pass Se Tez Hain not doing well. But these reasons are simply not enough to make two superstars fight in public and that too, when the whole film fraternity is watching them from such close quarters.

The reasons behind their fight are far too deep and their anger was simmering for years before it reached the tipping point. Let's connect the dots behind the clash of the two most famous superstars of our era.

Before we go into that, here is a video of the film fraternity entering that famous party in 2008. The most funny thing about this video is that it was shot at a time when nobody had an idea about the nuclear war that was going to happen inside.  

Salman treated Shah Rukh as member of his family

When Shah Rukh was struggling to make his niche in the film industry, Salman had already reached stardom. Shah Rukh was a regular visitor at Salman's house ever since he became moderately famous in Bollywood. He frequently hung out with the Khan family. Salman loved him as a brother. In fact, there was a time when Shah Rukh used to address Salman as 'Sir', as revealed by the latter in an interview to a channel (I have the video clip and will post it at an appropriate time).

When Shah Rukh became famous, Salman had acknowledged him as a star and did a film with him called Karan Arjun (1995). Salman was a bigger star than Shah Rukh at that point of time, and the film turned out to be a huge hit at the box office.

Here is the first scene that Shah Rukh and Salman did together in Karan Arjun. However, this was not the first scene in the film where the two were shown together in the one frame.

Since then many producers have tried to cast them together in a film but could not afford both of them. Besides, both were solo heroes and didn't feel the need to come together again for a film.

However a South producer managed to get them together again. Tamil producer K S Adhiyaman managed the feat and got the stars for a remake of his own Tamil film; the film was called Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam. The film went to the floors in 1997, but couldn't cash in on the two Khans because it took more than six years in the making due to production delays and financial hassles. It was released in 2002 and managed to recover its money even though the look of both the heroes kept changing in different shots of the film. It was very funny!

Here is a slide-show of a few unseen pictures of Shah Rukh and Salman together in public. The pics are not arranged in any order.

At a charity match

Yeh dosti, Bollywood ishtyle

Though they were busy with their own films, Salman and Shah Rukh Khan kept doing cameos in each other's films — a sign of the camaraderie that existed between two stars in Bollywood.

We all know that Salman Khan did a very big role in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) and was a primary attraction for the audience even though he was credited as being a guest actor. Shah Rukh Khan again returned the favour in Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega in 2000 where he came in just minutes before the interval, exactly what Salman Khan did in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

Here is the clip where Shah Rukh makes his entry in Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega

The last film that saw the two Khans together in one frame was Om Shanti Om in 2007. It did not just feature him, but also his brother Arbaaz, his wife Malaika and his best friend Sanjay Dutt.  It was an occasion where all the Bollywood stars converged to show their solidarity for Shah Rukh and Farah Khan as he incidentally clashed with Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor who were making their debut with Saawariya.

Ranbir-Sonam's debut film was blown away by a tornado called Om Shanti Om at the box office. Shah Rukh Khan, backed by the entire film industry, made Bhansali lick dust at the box office. After that defeat, Bhansali's charisma as a filmmaker never remained the same.

Here is the clip of the song where Salman Khan makes an entry (after Rekha) in the song Deewangi Deewangi. You may scroll to 6.40 minutes if you just want to see him.  

So, it is clear that Salman and Shah Rukh had tremendous respect for each other and they went that extra mile to ensure that they were available for each other.

shadesofme thumbnail
part2

Shah Rukh Khan versus Salman Khan: How it all started

The connect-the-dots exercise continues as I go behind the reasons that caused the big split between Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan at Katrina Kaif's birthday party at Olives in Bandra (West) on the night of July 16, 2008.

In  the earlier post I had said how the two stars shared a great camaraderie and how  Salman was actually fond of Shah Rukh. Shah Rukh used to be a part of Salman's inner circle at one point of time and used to address Salman as 'Sir'. Salman, in turn, used to treat Shah Rukh like his own brother. They would often did guest appearances in each others' films.

To read the first part of the series, click here

Just to rejig your memory, here are 10 pictures clicked minutes after the infamous fight between Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan on July 16, 2008 at Olives Restaurant in Bandra. The expressions on their faces will tell you the story of what happened inside a few minutes back. I have tried to arrange the pictures in a sequence.

Salman telling the media that he doesn't want to talk

Salman gave several interviews after the brawl, but he refused to divulge the trigger of the fight. Check the interview where he admitted that Shah Rukh used to be a part of his Khan-daan once and that he used to address him as 'Sir'. You will realise that Salman speaks from his heart when he's in the mood. Also, he leaves a lot unspoken and sometimes just speaks in monosyllables. However, if you note the expressions on his face and eyes, you will realise that hidden in those monosyllables are the best answers. Here's the much-anticipated video.

Aishwarya and Shah Rukh start ruling the box office

By 2000, Shah Rukh Khan was a superstar in his own right in Bollywood and he was on top of the game. It was during this time that he earned the moniker 'King Khan' because by then he had toppled the other two Khans from their mantles. Salman, on the other hand, was still delivering duds in between hits and the whole spotlight of the film industry had shifted to Shah Rukh by that time.

This is the same year when Shah Rukh Khan paired up with Aishwarya Rai in Josh. Though they played brother-sister in the film, it was a mathematical certainty that the two would be cast as leads in other films.

Five months later, Shah Rukh-Aishwarya starrer Mohabbatein released and set the box office on fire. Though the Aditya Chopra film was sold more on the fact that Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan were together in a film for the first time, Ash-SRK's pair also garnered tremendous response among the audience. Suddenly, Shah Rukh-Ash pair was the talk of the town and Salman-Ash pair wasn't. Every producer wanted to sign Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya in their film.

Salman always wanted to see himself rule the box office with Ash and he found his dream shattered by somebody who was five years his junior in the film industry. Make no mistake, they are exactly of the same age and incidentally Salman is younger to Shah Rukh by almost 55 days (both Salman and Shah Rukh are 1965 born). Salman made his debut in 1988 with Biwi Ho To Aisi while Shah  Rukh's first film was Deewana  in 1992.

Even though Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (which released a year before Mohabbatein, in 1999) scored well at the box office, their volatile relationship ensured that Ash and Salman never signed a film together even though they came very close to it many times.

On the other hand, Shah Rukh also realised that the pair had tremendous potential and hence, decided to put his own money into his next film with Aishwarya as his heroine. During that time, Shah Rukh had a production house with Juhi Chawla and Aziz Mirza called Dreamz Unlimited (Red Chillies would come in the picture much later).

The first venture of Dreamz Unlimited was Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani and it tanked in a big way at the box office. Two more films from the same company (Asoka and One 2 ka 4) went down a similar path. Shah Rukh knew that if he wanted to keep his production company afloat, he needed a massive hit. Shah Rukh was on the lookout for a perfect script that would script his comeback.

Aziz Mirza then came up with an amazing script and Shah Rukh promptly roped in Aishwarya for the film. The film was a make-or-break situation for Shah Rukh purely for the sake of his production house.

By the time Shah Rukh started the film, the Ash-Shah Rukh pair had become even more popular with Devdas which released in 2002; it went on to become a cult classic. Both Ash and Shah Rukh realised their potential as a pair and wanted to cash in on it.

While Chalte Chalte was still in its planning stage, they did an item number for a film called Shakti. The song was called Ishq kameena. This was again an unmistakable signal that they have become good friends. Here is the video clip of the song.

So, the point I am making is, while Shah Rukh was steadily climbing up the ladder with Aishwarya in tow, Salman was seeing his dream crumble with every move of Shah Rukh. Considering how Salman is as a person, it was again a foregone conclusion that he will react one day. And he did.

Salman starts reacting to Shah Rukh's closeness to Aishwarya

Shah Rukh roping in Aishwarya for his next production involved a lot of meetings at his house and offices. In Bollywood, most of the meetings were conducted informally then. Unfortunately, Shah Rukh and Ash became great friends, while Ash's relationship with Salman turned even more volatile and had hit an all-time low. The proximity between Shah Rukh and Ash soon started to become a problem with Salman and it drove him to the brink.

People involved in the project say that instead of taking Salman's side (which Salman had expected Shah Rukh to do), Shah Rukh remained neutral and continued hobnobbing with Aishwarya leading Salman to believe that they were having an affair. Shah Rukh didn't have a choice because he had technically invested in Aishwarya and Salman was expecting the loyalty that he deserved from Shah Rukh.

Aishwarya, by that time, had already broken up with Salman in her mind and started avoiding him. She was steadily declining to do any film with him. She said no to several films starring Salman which included one offer from Sohail Khan as well. Even Sanjay Leela Bhansali with a great project like Bajirao Mastani couldn't make her budge. This stubbornness of Aishwarya started to drive Salman batty.

The more Aishwarya started interacting with Shah Rukh, the more it angered Salman even though they had already broken up by then. That year saw numerous incidents where Salman and Aishwarya fought publicly and it was widely reported by the press. This was also the same time when Salman developed the habit of landing up on her sets.

One of the most widely reported stories was his fracas on the sets of Kuch Na Kaho where Aishwarya was shooting with Abhishek Bachchan. Abhishek Bachchan was then engaged to Karisma Kapoor and was, in no way dating Aishwarya. Salman reportedly landed on the sets and had a big argument with her in front of all her co-stars. According to many reports, when Abhishek tried to intervene, Salman also screamed at him.

This habit of landing up on Aishwarya's sets would prove to be too costly for Salman as he hurtled down the darkest alleys of his life from here on. The crisis that emerged out of the second such incident would continue to haunt him for the rest of his life.

shadesofme thumbnail
part3

Shah Rukh Khan versus Salman: Their first public fight

So you think that on 16th July, 2008, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan had their first public fight when they met at Katrina Kaif's birthday party?

No.

This was not the first time they spat in public. They first fought in July 2002 and that fight was the most violent of them all. The way they fought in 2002 would put the Katrina Kaif birthday party incident to shame.  Before this incident came to the fore, the whole film industry knew that Salman considered Shah Rukh as his brother and as I had said in the first post of this series, they used to gratify each other by doing cameos.

Just to drive this point home again, here's a video clip from Zee Cine Awards in 1998 where you will see Salman and Shah Rukh sitting in the front row together. After Shah Rukh was declared Best Actor, Salman came on stage to celebrate it even though he didn't get an award that evening. This goes on to show how large-hearted he is.

As I had mentioned in my previous post, Salman Khan had started landing up where his girlfriend Aishwarya Rai would be shooting. There were reports that Salman Khan had first landed up in Mehboob Studios in Bandra while Aishwarya was shooting for an advertisement and disrupted it. But it was just a gossip in a magazine and as usual, was denied.

The biggest incident of them all was yet to come. The magnitude of the incident was such that Salman was tagged as  Bollywood's Bad Boy after this incident.

Before I go into that incident, here's proof about the great chemistry that Ash and Shah Rukh had developed. They were not only great friends but were in great demand as well. In my last blog post, I had posted the video of an item song called Ishq Kameena (from the film Shakti). This song (though shot much earlier) was released two months after Devdas (July 2002). This was the time when the popularity of Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai was at its peak.

Here's the behind-the-scenes video of the song . We will come to the big fight after this clip. 

Salman Khan's darkest days 

Shah Rukh had put up his set for Chalte Chalte at Naraingaon, near Pune and they were shooting a few romantic scenes and a song. The relationship between Salman and Ash had turned volatile by then and Salman used to continuously call on Aishwarya and Shah Rukh's mobiles. Most of those calls went unanswered. One could sense that Salman was simmering on the inside because he couldn't digest the fact that he had been unceremoniously dumped by Ash.

For a couple of days, the calls stopped, but it was just a calm before the storm. A few production staff, connected with that shoot schedule, told me that Shah Rukh could sense it and had confided in Aishwarya about the possibility of Salman landing up on the sets any day. He requested Aishwarya to ensure that the shoot gets over without a hassle because a lot of money had gone into that schedule.

Shah Rukh was caught in a strange situation. On one hand, there was his production where he had to manage a big profit and gain the confidence of the distributors (a critical thing for any production house). On the hand, there was his friendship with Salman which was going for a toss.

But his worst fears came true. One fine morning a furious Salman Khan landed up on the sets of Chalte Chalte. What followed was nothing less than Bollywood high-tension drama.

'Just come out at once'

Salman Khan was driving an SUV and drove straight into the sets of Chalte Chalte. He then went straight up to the spot where Aishwarya was and confronted her. The shooting came to a standstill. Salman then asked Aishwarya to leave the sets immediately and come out with him.

Shah Rukh apparently intervened and it led to their first major fight in front of the whole shooting unit. When Shah Rukh declined to let Aishwarya go, Salman said that there's nothing in this world that can stop him from taking her away. Aishwarya was caught between the crossfire and didn't know what to do.

Apparently, Salman then drove his car into the sets, causing damage to the sets in the process. He then opened the front door of the car and ordered Aishwarya to sit inside.

It was too much for Shah Rukh to take and he warned Aishwarya that if she left the sets that day, it will be the last time she would be seen on the sets of his film. Caught between the two, Ash probably thought that she would try to pacify Salman first and then return on the sets the next day. Shooting getting cancelled for a day was never a big thing in Bollywood then. She sat in the car and Salman drove out of the sets. He also banged Aishwarya's car on his way out.

The shooting for that day was cancelled. A furious Shah Rukh asked his director Aziz Mirza to call Aishwarya and tell her that she is not a part of the film anymore. To Ash's horror, Ash then received another call from a colleague informing her that she had replaced by her good friend, Rani Mukerji.

The darkest day in the life of Salman Khan

This incident of Salman barging into the sets of Chalte Chalte and disrupting the shoot was the beginning of his darkest days. Had this incident not happened, Salman's life would have been dramatically different from what it is right now.

Months after the incident, Aishwarya finally spoke out against Salman Khan. In an interview to The Times of India, she publicly lashed out against her ex and said that he is harassing and abusing her. She also said that Salman would hit her and injure himself when she wouldn't take his calls. The article triggered a shock-wave in Bollywood and finally which was spoken in hushed tones was out there for the public.

This public humiliation was too much for Salman to bear and it triggered a shocking chain of events.

Shops near the accident spot in Bandra

Aishwarya's interview came out on September 27, 2002. Call it coincidence or events spiraling out of control, but the very next day, late on September 28 night, a drunk Salman Khan allegedly insisted on driving his land-cruiser (registration number MH 01 DA 32) back home after a drinking binge at a pub in Bandra, Mumbai.

He was so drunk that night that he lost control of his SUV and crushed three people under his wheels. All the three belonged to a nearby bakery and were sleeping on the pavement when Salman's SUV lost control and crashed into them.

An eye-witness at the accident spot (according to reports) described the actor to be in a state of shock on seeing a body under the wheels of his car till his brothers took him away from there.

That was the dead body of Noor Ullah Khan (38) who was declared 'brought dead' at the Bhabha hospital. Two others were gravely injured.

Though police swung into action the next day but charged Salman under bailable sections like rash and negligent driving. Soon, a huge public outcry followed accusing the police of letting him off lightly and not charging him with homicide.

The ghost of that incident is chasing Salman Khan even today. Two years later after the incident, the metropolitan magistrate, after examining 17 witnesses, brought forth the more serious charge of culpable homicide against him and transferred it to a sessions court for re-trial. Salman appealed against the order and argued that he should not be tried under such a grave charge.

The court will decide whether it is culpable homicide or not, a few days from today, on June 24.

In the next part of the series we will talk about how Salman's battled the odds following the incident and how his relationship with Shah Rukh started showing signs of improvement before hitting rock bottom again.

shadesofme thumbnail
part4

The April fool stunt that ruined Vivek Oberoi

The story between Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan and their rivalry was going fine till Vivek Oberoi jumped into it, shot himself in the foot and retired hurt. Now, what is Vivek Oberoi doing here? We will answer this question here.

Before that, here's a special video for all Salman Khan fans. This is the fiery Salman Khan in 1998. In this video he chided the press for peeking into his personal life. The circumstances that life has made him go through has mellowed down Salman Khan quite a bit and you don't see him speaking like this now. We will tell you the funny Vivek Oberoi story after this video.

How Vivek Oberoi jumped in the middle of it all

The Chalte Chalte fiasco in 2002 and the incidents that it triggered had far-reaching consequences. Salman Khan had to come to terms with the fact that Aishwarya Rai had dumped him as she severed any tie that linked her with him. On the other hand, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan stopped talking to each other.

Chalte Chalte released in 2003 and couldn't gather enough steam at the box-office. It just about managed to recover its cost. For the better part of that year, Salman struggled with the law as the hit-and-run controversy was constantly played up in the media. That year (2003) saw him in only one film titled Tere Naam. The film turned out to be a super-hit and some critics still regard it as one of his finest performances to date.

However, the star continued to pursue Aishwarya despite everything that had taken place in his life, say common friends. But by then, a lot had changed in her life; there was a new 'friend' in her life – Vivek Oberoi.

Aishwarya was seen in public events with Vivek. Even though she never admitted to a relationship with him, it was public knowledge that they were dating.

Here is a slide-show of Aishwarya and Vivek Oberoi snapped in public together. Take a look at their body languages. Look how Aishwarya appears all normal while Vivek Oberoi looks completely smitten. His close friends say that this was the period when Vivek Oberoi's world began and ended with Aishwarya Rai. For Aishwarya, her body language said that she had other things to do in life rather than fall in love.

All these pictures didn't escape somebody's attention… Mr Salman Khan. It was just a matter of time before Ash's ex boyfriend clashed with the 'rumoured' new boyfriend… and how!

When a vivek oberoi decided to take on SALMAN KHAN

As I had mentioned earlier, while Salman was battling the fallout of the hit-and-run incident, the press was abuzz with sightings of Vivek Oberoi and Aishwarya Rai together at various events. Vivek would smile sheepishly when asked about Ash, hinting at a relationship between them. It was clear that he was completely smitten by Aishwarya and the fact that he is dating Salman's ex girlfriend. I don't blame him, even Johnny Lever in his position would have felt the same and behaved exactly in the same manner.

On the other hand, Aishwarya coldly maintained that she was just a good friend to him and there's nothing more to that. But all these had Salman Khan fuming again. One day Salman finally dialed Vivek's number.

The latter was attending another press conference when he told some journalists that there's something that he wanted to share with the media. What followed was one of biggest blots in the history of Indian media as well as Bollywood. The actor surrounded by a group of journalists a la darbar style, exploded against Salman.

'Salman said he will kill me'

In that hastily convened press conference inside his hotel room, Vivek behaved as Ash's knight in shining armour and levelled all sorts of allegations against Salman. He said that Salman threatened to bash him up in public and kill him. Under the full glare of the media, Vivek went on saying how Salman called him 41 times to threaten him. Stating that he had the actress's support, Vivek called Salman all kinds of names, including calling him an aging, frustrated and out of work actor. He openly challenged Salman to a duel. The press conference which appeared like a April Fool's Day stunt soon became national news. Strangely, Salman refused to react to those insinuations and kept quiet.

Another story that did the rounds was that while Vivek was busy badmouthing Salman, one of his co-stars (who had an axe to grind with  Vivek) dialed Salman's number clandestinely while Vivek was going on with his rants against Salman. Salman heard all that was being said about him from the other end. That's what led to him to dial Vivek's number to warn him to lay off.

Finally, only the two know what exactly transpired between them. Yes, I will now present the video of the infamous press conference 0f Vivek Oberoi. The press conference, if you see it now, really appears funny.

As expected, this act of foolishness blew up on Vivek's face as Aishwarya was not happy the way he conducted himself. She started avoiding him and later indicated that she had no hand in the press conference conducted by Vivek.

A few months after the press conference, Vivek lost both the girl and a career that took off on such a promising note with Ram Gopal Varma's Company. Vivek later admitted on a TV show hosted by Farah Khan that the press conference adversely affected his career and indirectly blamed Aishwarya for instigating him to conduct the press conference and all that happened to him later. Here is the clipping of the TV show.

Within a month of this incident, there will come the biggest blow on Salman Khan that will finally force him to severe all ties with Aishwarya. Also, the incident will ensure that he will completely withdraw from Aishwarya and set her free.

'Salman was a nighmare'

Two days after Vivek hosted the press conference (3th April, 2003), Aishwarya got seriously injured while filming for the film, Khakee. The Maruti Gypsy which was being driven by a stunt-man called Raju Gaund, ran over her right ankle as he lost control of the wheel. Ash was first rushed to Kakatkar hospital in Nashik, but since the doctors were unable to relieve her pain, she was air-lifted by a helicopter to Mumbai's Hinduja hospital. An X-ray revealed that she had suffered a hair-line fracture in her ankle. Her family and Vivek Oberoi rushed by her side.

Four days after the accident, Aishwarya stunned Bollywood by issuing a public statement saying that Salman had made her life hell. In the statement, she alleged that Salman had abused her physically, scarred her mentally and was still hounding her to star in a movie with him. She swore to never work with Salman again. She issued the statement from the hospital bed through her manager Hari Singh. It was most damning statement against any Bollywood hero.

For those interested, I have uploaded the text of the statement in a separate page. Just click on the word 'statement'.

Salman retreated into his shell following the statement; close friends state that after this incident he swore that he will never try to get in touch with her again. This was the time when he again started reaching out to his friends with whom he had fought before because of Aishwarya. Of course, one of the names was Shah Rukh Khan.

In the last post, we will talk about how he patched up with Shah Rukh Khan only to end up fighting again. For that, you will have to wait till the next post.

But what happened to Vivek Oberoi? Vivek Oberoi spent the next seven years saying sorry to Salman Khan who was in no mood to accept his apology. Vivek went to the extent of even holding his ears on stage in front of Salman Khan. Well, some would argue that it really takes guts to say sorry, others argue that Vivek killed his image by the way he went around town saying sorry to Salman Khan at every opportune moment. In the end, Vivek Oberoi made himself look like a naughty student who's repenting after being punished by his teacher.

MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
At Katty GodKnowsWhatNumber Bday, they were tearing each other down...general digs about the success of their shows...Ek ka Dum compared to Kya aap paanchvi paas se tez hain. Sallu's show was doing far far better than SRK's and SRK couldn't take the taunts anymore. His massive ego and given that he is a total jerk, he resorted to insulting what Sallu lacks and he doesn't. A steady girl. So he hits below the belt...says something very nasty about Ash and Sallu's relationship. Sallu's sees red...charges. Puny SRK charges too. Puny Aamir tries to stop them. Hulla-gulla-shor-Katty escort in tears. There! A rivalry begins. 😎 That's what I have heard and peppered it here with my own opinions. Take it or leave it.

IMHO though, SRK was just jealous that Sallu still looks so good despite being the same age as him. Was looking for a bahana. 😆
Edited by MithiBani - 10 years ago
shadesofme thumbnail
part5

Shah Rukh versus Salman: The final countdown

In 2002-2003, Salman Khan had hit rock bottom. However, his family rallied around him; even estranged friends reached out to him and stood by him.

Apart from the 2002 hit-and-run case, Salman was also defending himself in the Chinkara poaching case where his position was getting critical. Losing the case would also mean a jail sentence, which he dreaded. His lawyers in Jaipur were trying their level best to prove that Salman was unaware that he was shooting an endangered species when he hunted down the endangered deer during a break in the shooting schedule of Hum Saath Saath Hain in 1998.

To be honest, when Salman went out on a hunting expedition with Saif Ali Khan, Tabu and Neelam Kothari, all he wanted to do was to hunt a deer with his rifle — a sport common in that part of our country. He never had the faintest idea that he was shooting an endangered species.

Salman Khan was under pressure and he knew it. During those days, whoever came in close contact with the actor described him as 'very high-strung'. That is the reason why he reached out even more for people who loved him. When it came to Shah Rukh Khan, this time it was Salman who reached out to him and Shah Rukh responded affectionately. The story of how they patched up is emotional and interesting.

Salman went and hugged Shah Rukh from behind

Following the Chalte Chalte incident, Salman and Shah Rukh avoided each other at public events, but when they came face-to-face at Farah Khan's sangeet ceremony at Hyatt Regency on December 9, 2004, something clicked.

Friends describe that after the sangeet was over, Salman was sipping his drink quietly with his gang in one corner of the ballroom. As usual, Shah Rukh took to the dance floor with his own gang. Towards the end of the party, when the guests had started leaving, Salman suddenly came towards Shah Rukh and hugged him tight. The ice melted and Shah Rukh responded as affectionately. Both Shah Rukh and Salman were locked in a tight embrace for a few minutes. Both reportedly had tears in their eyes as they re-bonded.

Salman promptly invited Shah Rukh and Gauri over and they partied till the wee hours at Galaxy apartments, Salman's house in Bandra. Salman and Shah Rukh continued to remain friends after the party.

But a lot had changed since…

In spite of Salman and Shah Rukh's best efforts, their relationship never returned to normal. A lot had changed by then. Shah Rukh and Salman Khan were constantly being pitched against each other as the next Bollywood Badshah, and Shah Rukh was at the peak of his career during this time.

Salman had also started dating Katrina Kaif by then. Salman was briefly jailed during April, 2006 and Katrina was there to receive him when he was released on 13th April 2006. Katrina had a calming influence on Salman and that year, nobody saw him getting into a brawl. Career-wise he was not doing too well and had delivered a number of duds.

In 2007, Salman continued to be civil with Shah Rukh and also did a special appearance for the star-studded title song in Shah Rukh's home production, Om Shanti Om. He later made an appearance with Katrina on Shah Rukh's Kaun Banega Crorepati (Season 3) when the show was not doing well. Salman expected that Shah Rukh would one day return the favour.

Here is the video clip of Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif at Kaun Banega Crorepati. Remember they just came at Shah Rukh's request and there was no film promotion tagged with the appearance as is the case these days.

But television reality shows had become a different ball game by 2007 with companies and sponsors upping their stakes considerably. Suddenly, the television reality shows were a make-or-break game with a lot of money riding on each of them.

While Shah Rukh started his much hyped show Kya Aap Paanchvi Pass Se Tez Hain from April 25, 2007, Salman came on to the scene with Dus Ka Dum June 6, the same year. Shah Rukh Khan's reality show was on the verge of being discontinued due to low audience ratings, while Salman's show was steadily climbing up the charts and was on top of the game.

Salman extended a warm invitation to Shah Rukh to come on his reality show and was stunned when Shah Rukh refused outright. Sources say that Shah Rukh was restricted by certain sponsors, who didn't want their star to feature in a reality show on a rival channel. Whatever be the reason, Shah Rukh's refusal came as a complete shock to Salman who wasn't expecting it.

After Shah Rukh's refusal, an uncomfortable silence loomed over them.

What happened on 16th July, 2008?

It was not Salman but Katrina who had invited Shah Rukh and Gauri at her birthday party. Everything was fine as Salman and Shah Rukh stuck to their respective corners on two opposite sides. Salman was surrounded by his brothers while Shah Rukh was with his wife.

Onlookers say, that one point of time Shah Rukh and Salman were within hearing distance when the latter took the name of his reality show and made a gesture that meant that SRK's reality show was screwed. Shah Rukh gave a cocky answer to that and the party carried on. However, Salman Khan made that hand gesture again in front of Shah Rukh after half an hour or so. This time, Shah Rukh responded with a reply that was more like hitting below the belt.

Without repeating the statement, let's just say that the actor returned the hand gesture and said something uncomplimentary about Aishwarya Rai. Shah Rukh, onlookers say, was referring to the fight that they had way back in 2002 which is mentioned in my earlier blog post.

This was the point, onlookers say, when things got out of hand. The conversation, which started out as banter, ended up with threats and abuses being hurled from both ends. Gauri immediately intervened and dragged SRK out of the party, while Aamir Khan rushed to cool Salman down. One hears that Aamir also rushed to SRK's house to clear the misunderstanding between the two, but in vain.

The rest is history.

Here's a news report about the fight that was aired the next day. You can see a harrowed Salman making a quick exit from the party as an embarrassed Katrina Kaif tries to hide her face from the flashbulbs. That day (July 17), every news channel had only one big news — the war-of-words between Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan.

Had the Chalte Chalte episode not happened in 2002, they wouldn't have fought in 2008. Or, they would have found another reason to get on each other's nerves? Who knows? But the fact is that the relationship between Salman and Shah Rukh is more tempestuous than the women in their life.