This Vishnu Story - It's BULL!

Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Haha don't worry this isn't a complaint thread. I used that title for a reason. You'll find out in a bit.

I think this might be relevant to the current track (btw I haven't watched today's episode yet, so I could end up being wrong). The Shiva Purana touches on the Samudra Manthan at two places in the Satarudra Samhita. According to the text Mahadev takes two different avatars in connection to those events.

The first, mentioned in Chapter 16 is the Yaksesvar avatar. This is basically what we saw on the show last year. Except it wasn't just Indra (and the devas) who became arrogant; Vishnu himself demonstrated the same arrogance. Shiva-as-Yaksesvara challenged not just Indra, not just the devas but also Vishnu to remove the blade of grass from his palm. And like the rest of them, Vishnu too failed to even move it an inch. For obvious reasons the show only had the devas at fault.

The second avatar is mentioned in Chapters 22-23. According to this when the amrit emerged from the ocean, drops of it fell into the water and from them appeared several apsaras. Later, when the devas got the amrit, fight broke out between them and the asuras as we know. Vishnu participated in the battle and led the devas to victory. The daityas then took the apsaras and retreated to Patala while the danavas stayed behind to guard them and hold back the devas. Vishnu defeated them and chased the daityas all the way to Patala. There, drunk on his victory, he went astray. He saw the beautiful apsaras and engaged in sexual play with them, completely oblivious to everything else. He fathered many sons on them. They were powerful, skilled in the arts of warfare and unfortunately, evil. They caused havoc in all the worlds.

The devas and rishis went to Brahma and he took them to Shiva to ask for help. Lord Shiva then incarnated as Vrsesa - a giant bull. Meanwhile, Vishnu had also invited all devas and other divine beings to join him in his orgy. Vrsesa entered Patala and killed Vishnu's sons. Seeing this, Narayan attacked Shiva. An enraged Shiva (as the Bull) kicked Vishnu who launched many weapons at him but they were all useless. The Bull stood as if it were a mountain. At last Vishnu's pride was shattered and he came out of his delusion. He asked for forgiveness. Shiva forgave him and told him to go back to his abode. Vishnu wanted to get his chakra (which had fallen somewhere in Patala in all this chaos). But Shiva told him to leave it there; he would create a new one for him. Mahadev also pronounced a curse that only a yogi like Shiva or a demon born of  him may enter that place. Anyone else who dared to do so would die immediately.

I believe the creatives have taken the Vrsesa story and modified it so as not to offend anyone. The story in its original form is not very kind to Vishnu. Hence they introduced this idea of the apsaras asking for a boon from Vishnu that basically gives him amnesia*. This protects his character though it does shift all the blame on the apsaras. It's not a bad idea I think. I don't know if there is any significance to the apsaras being five in number or their specific names. Perhaps there isn't any. I do think it's possible that this track will end with Vishnu promising to marry them in his Krishna avatar. Vishnu (either as himself or as Ram) promising women to marry them as Krishna is a common theme in many stories. Let's see.

If anyone is wondering why Vishnu lost his way in the second story if his arrogance had already been crushed in the first one...there isn't an explanation. At least none that I saw (I'll check again when I get the chance to make sure). The two stories are included in different places with nothing connecting them. The intervening chapters dwell on other issues. This is why it is often necessary to employ some creativity to make all these different mythological stories flow together in an adaption.

---
*Is there any saas-bahu trope they haven't covered on the show? Vamp. CHECK. Multiple marriages to the same person. CHECK. Marriage related misunderstandings and all that stuff. CHECK. And now the guy getting amnesia and being with other women. CHECK! πŸ˜†
Edited by Kal El - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kaatayani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
wow...! this is a great piece of info.. I can see the in depth research the DKDM ppl have went through and of course the same in depth research done by you  to bring the story to us..πŸ‘ πŸ˜Š
Kore-Soteira thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for this information, buddy.
I wasn't knowing about this part,so a bigπŸ€— thank you for letting us know.
Our vedas & Puranas are bundled with immense stories, which are rather unknown.
Talking about the current track, I think they have gelled these 2 stories, hece there is a slight change in the execution..
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
KKKAAALLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how are you doing?long time no see?😊
anyways thanks for the info
i swear i thought this was a made up story,turns out our CVs actually do some pretty good research...
yeah they changed the story-the orignal would have caused havoc!so they changed it drastically!

about this
*Is there any saas-bahu trope they haven't covered on the show? Vamp. CHECK. Multiple marriages to the same person. CHECK. Marriage related misunderstandings and all that stuff. CHECK. And now the guy getting amnesia and being with other women. CHECK! πŸ˜†

You are Forgetting Kal yeh Sansaar Ka Pehla Saas-Bahu Drama tha!πŸ˜‰...all other shows have gained inspiration from this.
but yeah almost all tracks covered,except the one where the Husband has a kid outside his marriage-oh wait...thats Ayyapa trackπŸ˜‰

thanks for the story
BTW-is it only me but didnt the Rushabh Avtaar headgear Mohit was wearing looked borrowed from the Norse People-Asterix anyone?
foram. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
hehe yes shruti

@kal thanx for this story
A-A-S thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruti.nil

You are Forgetting Kal yeh Sansaar Ka Pehla Saas-Bahu Drama tha!πŸ˜‰...all other shows have gained inspiration from this.

πŸ‘

Don't forget - the story of Mahadev-Sati is actually the original Sasur-Damad drama, too!

How could us mere mortals escape from saas-bahu dramas (whether in reality or on TV) when even God wasn't spared (some) in-law problems: even Mahadev himself had to put up with sasur-damad problems from his dear father-in-law Daksh Prajapati, so what hope does anyone else have!

πŸ˜† πŸ€£

@Kal El: Thanks heaps for the info! β­οΈ
Edited by A-A-S - 11 years ago
vanadhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
thanks for the info ,breaking news cv's have brains some time πŸ˜³
when they showed the horn i just thought it would be butchered story of sarabeswarar   . But now i am cleared !!
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
So Vishnuji had to leave Lakshmiji to get Kal back in this forumπŸ˜†
Some leftout tracks- Son born out of wedlock, coming to meet his father after growing up asking for his rights for him & his mother.
Baby getting exchanged soon after birth. If Vishnuji had a son, may be he was exchanged with Kartikeya by Taki so Shivji's son can't kill him & Vishnuji's son comes to kill him, he can say you are not supposed to do this. This is perfect CNAT's ideaπŸ˜† 
Diala thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
There is so much in our puranas that we still do not know. It is so humbling. Thanks for this story.
We need to ping Varaali. So much fodder for cnat. Dont know if any of the older mytho shows like Ramayan and Mahabharat could inspire that.
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
omg am so shocked about vishnu's story...didnt expected this from him chee chee...πŸ€“

well thanks for sharing