Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

InduG64 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
Nikki...you are a darling. Sure you can borrow Aayu for a few days...Just don't get upset if you suddenly find weird -looking creepy-crawlies around your house.😆...And yes, you must start wearing sarees on occasions. There's no garment more dignified and more sensuous than a saree...😳

Payal is very astute where her parents, especially her mother, are concerned. After she went back to her room, she must have wondered why Mumma gave papa's example only while talking about love. She obviously doesn't know about her ma's past, but her thought process very naturally pondered on what relationship her mother must have shared with her father.

Well, the past is coming up in a few minutes. I hope I don't disappoint you all.😳
lovely_nikki thumbnail

Originally posted by: InduG64

Nikki...you are a darling. Sure you can borrow Aayu for a few days...Just don't get upset if you suddenly find weird -looking creepy-crawlies around your house.😆...And yes, you must start wearing sarees on occasions. There's no garment more dignified and more sensuous than a saree...😳

Payal is very astute where her parents, especially her mother, are concerned. After she went back to her room, she must have wondered why Mumma gave papa's example only while talking about love. She obviously doesn't know about her ma's past, but her thought process very naturally pondered on what relationship her mother must have shared with her father.

Well, the past is coming up in a few minutes. I hope I don't disappoint you all.😳

I hate creepy- crawly creatures. But for Aayu I won't mind. 😆 .  Even my friends tell me to wear saree but I don't know why I don't like it 😕. Though I love to see others in colorful sarees, but me... 

Waiting for the next update. I hope that this time I'll comment first. And don't worry dear you won't disappoint us, I am confident about that 😊
InduG64 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Samarpan

One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked,
but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.

Part 4

He picked up a diary at random. The cover said: Aarti Dubey, Age 10 years. Naanimaasi had diligently chronicled them over the years. He opened a page and read:

I was bad again. I am a very bad girl. I hurt baba again. He hates me…I deserve to be hated…..

Yash closed his eyes in pain. These thoughts that a ten-year-old Aarti penned down were so much in line with what she was made to believe about herself almost from the day she had begun comprehending her environs. Yash didn't really need to read the diaries….The content in them were after all just an extension of what Radhama had told him about Aarti's life till Naanimaasi brought her here. Radhama was the only person who was privy to the silent, obscure, humiliating life Aarti was subjected to in her dadaji's house. A few months after their marriage, Yash had visited Radhama in her village, to know more about Aarti's life. Aarti could never speak ill of anyone and Naanimaasi couldn't give him the details, and he needed in-depth knowledge. Aarti's nightmares gave him sleepless nights, literally as well as figuratively. They always ended with her clutching him and making him promise he won't leave her.

Yash looked out of the window. A slight drizzle had begun. It reminded him of the long rainy night in that lantern-lit small room when Radhama had narrated the unbelievable story of an innocent child who received a lifelong sentence for just being born….for even coming into being.

AARTI...

"Satya!! Stop it, Satya!! Calm down. Leave the doctor's collar…it's not his fault. The doctors tried their best."

"How dare they say my Shobha's gone, Suraj? She is fine. She was fine throughout this…this pregnancy. I personally took care of her. So how can they just say…."

"No, she was not fine?

"What do you mean doctor?"

"Mr Scindia, if Mrs Dubey had come to us in the first six weeks, we would have told her not to continue with this pregnancy."

"Why so?"

"She had a heart condition….and I believe she knew it. I am surprised she still went ahead and took this risk. Her blood pressure was abnormally high and she was hemorrhaging when she was brought in. We were lucky to save the baby."

"What the hell are you saying doctor?...No, Suraj this man's talking nonsense. My Shobha would never risk her life. She loves me too much and knows how much I love her. It's that damned baby. I never wanted one…but since she wanted it so bad I couldn't say no. I should have got it aborted as soon as it came by."

"Satya, please…take a hold of yourself. Shobha is dead…she is gone. It's no one's fault, my friend."

"It is…it is that wretched baby's fault….it's because of her I lost my Shobha. She is a curse."

"Don't say that Satya…just look at her. Nurse, please bring her here…See, how beautiful she is. She is your daughter…your flesh and blood."

"NO!!! She is nothing to me….She killed my Shobha. I am never going to set eyes on her…ever."

In the end, Suraj Pratap Scindia had to call Satyendra's family and arrange for them to come and take both father and daughter away with them to Hoshangabad. Satya's brother, Brijendra, rushed over with his wife, Reena. Subsequently, Suraj spoke with Satya's employers and arranged for his transfer back to his home town. It would be some months before Satya got back some hold on his life. He would spend most of that time in converting his entire room into a kind of a mausoleum for Shobha. He hung up life-size pictures of her, kept intact all her things, and even displayed them as they used to be before. Her clothes still occupied the closet, the dressing table had her cosmetics, and he arranged her side of the bed each night. It was as if his wife had not gone anywhere…..as if she would walk in any moment and continue the life they shared.

Aarti entered her so-called home in her aunt's arms. Reena had just put her in the crib that once belonged to her daughters when the family received the news of Satya's grandmother's passing away. The old lady was suffering from throat cancer, which was in the terminal stage. The doctors had given up long back. One of the mourners remarked how the newborn turned out be a curse for the family, bringing tragic catastrophes with her birth and being responsible for the death of her own mother and then her father's grandmother. This tone was soon picked up and passed across the entire clan. Satya's sister, Maya, and his mother were more than ready to join the unjust lament and deem the baby a jinx. They always had a thing against Shobha and were very antagonistic toward her importance in Satya's life…The same antagonism now shifted toward the innocent day-old baby. Her being a girl didn't help the little one's cause either. Radha, nanny to Brijendra's two children, was ordered to ensure that "that girl" stay away from all the customs and rituals, which as time passed by also included all the festivals and religious functions….a diktat that would hold till she grew up and left that house.

Brij and Reena watched helplessly as the little one was subjected to unfair dealings of the worst kind. They had two daughters of their own and as such were aware of their family's archaic thinking. They wanted a better future for their girls, away from the norms of this orthodox society, so Brij had wasted no time in accepting the job in the United States when it came his way and were to leave in a couple of months' time. He tried to protest when Radha was asked to get the store room in the backyard, which was next to the servants' quarters, ready for the baby, but was shut up by his mother who untruthfully told him it was Satya's orders. Actually, they wanted the cursed child to stay out of the family realm; they very well couldn't tell him that. So they told him that it was a practical move since Radha had to in any case take care of the baby, it was better the baby be put up close to her. Satya had washed his hands clear of the child, saying, "Do whatever you wish to. Leave me alone with my memories." Brij had even approached his father, who refused to get himself involved in the affairs of the women of the house, as he called them.

Brij tried to contact his Shobha bhabhi's family, but was told her mother had suffered a heart attack on hearing the news of her daughter's death….and that her sister was tending to her. Given the circumstances, Brij couldn't do much. His brother seemed totally detached from the baby, which he at the moment naively thought was because he was still mourning his wife's death. So he tried to be of as much help as possible before leaving for the States. He got the room ready for the baby and filled it with all she would require for a year. The girls stacked their old books and toys for her in one almirah, instructing their Radhama to give those to their little sister when she grew up. Brij arranged for medical care, paying in advance for all the required vaccinations and introducing Radha to the doctor, arranging for their interactions as and when required. When the doctor asked for the baby's name, they faced a fresh problem. None in the family was ready to arrange for any ritual, even a cursory one, given the family was under mourning for a year and as such could not indulge in any religious rites. He, Reena, and the girls took the baby to the temple, hoping the priest would suggest a way out. The baby needed a name. As the priest came with the Aarti thaal to bless them, the baby reached out from her aunt's lap and grabbed the thaal, toppling the sindoor in her hands. The priest laughed and said the little one had chosen her name….she wishes to be called "Aarti." That was the beginning of a very interesting relationship between little Aarti and the priest, who loved to talk. In the later years, Radha would be worrying sick looking for Aarti, only to find her sitting on the temple steps listening to some or the other stories narrated in full flair by her Pandit dadu. They were such an unlikely pair: One who could talk endless, and the other who would listen and only express with her eyes and gestures.

Brij left with a heavy heart, folding his hands in front of Radha and extracting a promise from her that she wouldn't leave Aarti till Satya bhaiya had come around or till Aarti was old enough to take care of herself. Radha held Aarti close to her and gave her solemn promise that she would do everything to bring up the little girl the way her mother Shobha was.

Satya continued to shun his daughter and blame her for Shobha's demise. He could never forgive her for snatching Shobha away from him. He refused to even look at her and instructed Radha to ensure she was kept away when he was in the house. The only responsibility he undertook was open a bank account in Radha's name so that she had access to all the money required to look after Aarti. His family too soon realized the reason for his resentment and refused to involve themselves in improving the fractured, almost nonexistent relationship between the father and daughter. For them Aarti was a curse, who was to be tolerated because she was born into the family. Over the years they would belittle her for every little thing, calling her names and even putting her through physical abuse if she ventured in places that were not meant for her. Her dadi's main mode of punishment was to shut her up in a dark room and leave her there for hours, an act that resulted in nightmares that Aarti suffered with even after she got married.

"B…A…B…A"

"No, no Aarti. The alphabets start with A….B comes after A."

Five-year-old Aarti was asked to write the alphabets for her admission test to Class I. What the teacher did not realize at that point was that Aarti was already forming words and short sentences. She had mastered the alphabets when she was four…having learnt them from Pandit dadu's (the priest's) twelve-year-old granddaughter, Malti, who liked the quiet girl and would drop in on her way back from school and teach her. Two days after teaching her about phonetics, Malti was surprised to find Aarti writing…BABA and MA. She was showing her knack for language already. Radha had spoken so much about her baba and ma to her that those words were the first things that came to mind when she tried using the knowledge Malti was imparting. Soon she picked up three-/four-word sentences.

The fact that Aarti was not yet put into any school was pointed out to Satya by none other than Suraj and Gayatri Scindia. They had come to attend a marriage in Hoshangabad with their sons Yash and Prateek and had decided to meet their old friend, Satya. Actually, Gayatri was keen to see how her friend's daughter was doing, as Satya had ceased to be in touch with them. He had still not come back from work, so Radha was summoned by Aarti's dadi to get Aarti. Aarti came trailing behind close to Radha, and when Gayatri called her, she clutched on nervously to Radha. No amount of cajoling would make her come out from behind Radha. Gayatri asked the family as to the class she was studying in, and was met with blank looks. Suraj and Gayatri were taken aback when they were told Aarti didn't go to any school yet as she was rather short of intelligence and hardly spoke. Gayatri had just got up to go near Aarti when they heard Satya's voice, "Ma, there's a car out front. Who has come?"

Only Yash noticed the little figure back off fearfully as her scared eyes came into view, and the next moment she had sprinted out through the door. Without thinking twice Yash followed her.

"Wait! Aarti….wait." As she abruptly paused in her stride, she tripped over the threshold of her room. Her hand shot out to grab something and found Yash's hand as she gripped his index finger tightly. He pulled her straight.

"Whoa! Be careful. Why did you run away? Ma wanted to meet you."

In response the little girl went and hid behind the door, her head down looking at the floor. He smiled. So she was shy. He went and knelt in front of her and extended his hand, "Hi! My name is Yash. Will you be my friend?"

He wanted to laugh out loud when he saw her shaking her head vigorously, even as she put both her hands behind her. He looked around and saw some picture books lying about as well as a couple of notebooks. He picked them up and saw pages of alphabets and numbers written in very neat handwriting. Then there was a new one that had BABA and MA written many times. On a page there were crookedly drawn figures of a man and a woman….written beneath them were sentences, "This is baba…….This is ma."

"Beta, your parents are calling you." Yash looked up to see Radha by the door. He saw two eyes peeping at him from behind her, as Radha tried to coax Aarti to come in front, "Aarti, come out beta….He is a friend. Don't be scared of him. He is leaving. Won't you say goodbye?"

Yash stood up, "It's OK. Let her be. Goodbye Aarti! See you sometime." Saying that he reached out and patted her head before stepping out of the door. That's when he heard…a faint, soft and sweet voice, "Goodbye!!" He smiled and walked away.

Yash walked in the living room to find his mother visibly upset, as Aarti's dadi repeated what she had said earlier, "She really won't be able to keep up with other children in school…that's why we have someone coming home to teach her. Poor girl! She is just not bright enough."

"That's not true," Everyone jerked their heads at him as Yash spoke, "Yes ma, Aarti knows more than kids her age. I just saw her notebooks. She is writing sentences in English, as also the numbers. She is very intelligent ma."

That's when all hell broke loose as Satya's mother whined to her son that she was being called a liar, making Satya turn to Yash, asking him to apologize for being rude and lying.

"My son never lies, Satya….Don't you know anything about your daughter? Don't tell me you are still carrying your prejudices. In any case she should be in school at her age."

"Don't preach as to what I should do Suraj? I think you better leave now." With that even the semblance of relationship broke. Having totally turned his back to his daughter, he really had no knowledge about her and expected the family to do the needful. After Suraj and his family had left, Satya was very angry at his family….He admonished his mother and sister about how this could have ruined the family's reputation: Today Suraj had pointed out the slip-up, tomorrow someone else could. One good thing came out of the Scindias' visit though: Satya got Aarti admitted to a school through a friend.

Aarti liked to visit her father's room when he was away. She loved to run her fingers through her mother's bangles on the dressing table and look at their pictures. Radha had always presented the good side of her parents….telling her stories about how much they loved each other, how her baba took care of her ma, how he brought her things, and so on. Aarti never understood why her father never asked for her and why he always shouted at Radhama even if he so much as sensed she was around him. In school she looked longingly at the parents who came to drop her children. She ached for an interaction with her father. She would peep at him from behind the doors and pillars but would be too scared to show herself, knowing it would make him angry. She got her answer when she was seven.

Her father was away again on office tour. Maya found Aarti in the room staring at the pictures.

"What are you doing here? Do you think by looking at those pictures you will get your mother back? Oh no, foolish girl….Your mother won't come back because you were a curse to her life. You killed her. She died when you were born."

Aarti's head shot up in shock as tears welled up. Maya was thoroughly enjoying herself now.

"I know I know…that must have shocked you, but it is true. Your baba hates you because you took away the woman he loved very much. He can't bear to look at you because you remind him of that cursed day. You took away his happiness, Aarti. You are a bad girl."

Aarti turned and ran all the way to the mangrove at the back of the house. It was her favorite spot….and it was her sanctuary. She spent most of her time here….Alone she would talk out loud to the trees, to the birds sitting on the trees, and to the squirrels who came close to her for the nuts she carried for them. Dubeys were one of the most affluent families of the town and owned a huge estate. Behind the house, apart from the mangrove they had a vegetable garden. The gardener had planted few flowers for Aarti in one corner when she had hesitatingly asked him once why flowers cannot grow with vegetables. She didn't tell Radhama what she had learnt that day about herself, but the little girl understood her father better now. She began to idolize the kind of love he had for her mother.

Over the next few years she began to comprehend her life as a burden on everyone as she was constantly made aware of her jinxed life by not only her dadi and bua but also any relative dropping by. Soon Aarti started believing what was being said. By the time she was ten, she blamed herself for her mother's death and became more submissive, subdued, and silent. She truly believed she deserved to be hated and withdrew more into her shell. Her self-worth had hit its nadir even before she had touched her teens.

She focused all her energy in writing and studying. At school she always scored very high in the exams, but never participated in anything else. She hardly communicated with others, but if someone came to ask for her help in studies, she was always forthcoming. She may not have any friends, but she was liked by all because of her kind, soothing, and helpful nature. When she was seven, she first started writing her diary. It was Malti who had presented her one for doing well in one of her exams. She was also the one whom Aarti turned to when she finished one and wanted another.

It was her tenth birthday…not that it mattered to anyone in that house. Radha did what she did every year…took her to the temple and bought her some sweets. Back home, Aarti wanted to look at her mother's pictures. Radha told her to come away soon as her father was due back. Aarti forgot to keep track of the time. It was too late when she heard her father's voice in the corridor. She frantically looked for a place to hide and finally stood behind the pillar in the room, not realizing her reflection could be clearly seen in the huge dressing table mirror. Satya entered the room with some books in his hand. He stopped short as he saw Aarti in the mirror….First time he actually saw her…she was a split image of Shobha. The familiar rage built up in Satya as he howled loudly and threw the books in hand at the mirror. Aarti watched in horror as one book went and hit the wall clock and the others the mirror. The mirror broke and splinters flew here and there, one of them coming and getting embedded in Aarti's chest through her skirt top. Satya then abruptly turned, kicking away the chair in his way and stormed out of the room and of the house. Radha and others came rushing in as they saw Aarti coming out from behind the pillar, in shock, tears streaming down her face, and the front of her top soaked in blood. By the time Radha reached her, she had fainted.

As always, not once did Aarti blame her father for the incident. She blamed herself for being bad and breaking his rule. He had every right to be angry. She was not supposed to be where she was, so naturally she hurt him again. No wonder he hated her. She deserved to be hated. Next day she made her diary entry:

I was bad again. I am a very bad girl. I hurt baba again. He hates me…I deserve to be hated…..

To be continued……

Edited by InduG64 - 11 years ago
lovely_nikki thumbnail
In the last chapter I was the last one to comment, but Finally this time I am the first one to reply. But I don't know wether I'll be able to comment properly as this part as left me very emotional and very angry.

I always feel that in our society it's women, ( more than men) who mentally torture other women. Men can physically abuse women, but it's the continuous mental abuse and torture that's been inflicted by elderly women in our society😡. Satya is a fool for blaming Aarti for the untimely death of Shobha.

I admit that he loved Shobha more than his life, but why couldn't he see that Aarti was a part of Shobha and her last Nishani. Infact he should've treasured and loved Aarti more than anything else 😡😭.
No wonder Aarti was a quite person as she had to face and go through so much abuse all her life 😭.

Yash was, is and will always be Aarti's savior and protector. Because of Yash Aarti was able to get education. Loved their little scene together. Though Yash himself was so young at that time, he understood Aarti immediately. That was the best part for me.

OMG such a horrible way for Aarti to get that piece of glass hitting her chest and to get that life long scar. More than that physical scar, it's the mental scar that left a mark on Aarti 😭.

I am shivering just thinking about what Aarti must've gone through.

It was a very emotional and very beautiful update Indu 👏 😭 👏
Edited by lovely_nikki - 11 years ago
..Comrade4eva.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Too amazing and a roller coaster ride of emotions...😭

Sigh...It's amazing but so heartbreaking!!!

Please continue soon...please!
Edited by guruandkratz - 11 years ago
princess121993 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
awesome indu di..i was so much crying after reading this...i ould imagine each n every part of this chapter...wow...update soon
Zetter thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Awww what a beautiful written, heartbroken update Pal 👏 👏 👏 ...I knew it was something like that Aarti went through as a child but reading how the entire family turned on her just for being born just broke my heart 😭 😭 😭 IMO her father's family were all ignorant 😡 😡

I loved how Suraj and Yash stood up for Aarti as well as Gayatri, it was great  of them to point out how unfair they were being towards Aarti 👍🏼 👏

Aww Yash was such a sweetheart, I loved the way he reached out to Aarti and the shy way she said "Goodbye" 😃 Yash will always be Aarti's knight in shinning armor 😳 😳

Marvelous job my friend 🤗

ksfan2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
that was a very emotional part...cant have any words to express it...it is so beautiful di..thanks for the PM
ilovepyaar thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Wow Indu, this was my favourite update. I'm blown away by your writing style. You're very talented! Aarti's past is heartwrenching, and I'm sure there's more to come, which will be more hurtful. I love the layers you've made for Aarti's character. I loved it! Update soon! =]
saf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Gosh Indu this update was something else. Whatever Aarti was made to believe and feel is something that is still prevelant in certain societies and I could imagine what those innocent girls have to face. My heart went out to Aarti for all that she has had to face and my admiration for Yash grew as in their interaction he was sensitive enough to realise that something was amiss and then as they got married the countless times he spent reassuring her just so she could forget what she was made to believe. Beautifully written Indu. Superb job. I could just imagine what you went through, while writing this.