Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

STRINGS: REVIEW/ZUBEEN GARG Music Review

pradip200 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
STRINGS: REVIEW/ZUBEEN GARG Music Review: STRINGS

By Nayan Moni Chetia

July 12, 2006

DISCLAIMER: Being a hardcore Zubeen fan, I may be a little soft on the review, but I will try my level best to give an unbiased view.So, here goes my review.

The CD begins with the song which was till recently, running on music channels. Yeah, 'Piya Milan ko Jaana', sung by Zubeen himself tries to set the mood of the film. 'Bound by Faith', the film's punch line, is properly justified by the song, and you become ready to listen to some more songs, in similar lines, from the Album. The song is sung well, and while you listen to the song, you feel that two people are singing the song, but its Zubeen himself lending voice to the sanyasi's part of it. The combination of Pop and devotional themes is very well executed by Zubeen, but I still feel that Zubeen could have done better. On the whole, the song has a strong Assamese fervour, which is always welcome ;-) Nevertheless, this song will contribute towards selling of this Album.

The second song of the Album is sung by Shaswati and Zubeen. The composition is superb, the lyrics is superb. 'Kaise Kahoon' is one of the only few well composed, well sung and well written song this year. I would rate 'Chand Sifarish' higher. This song has no 'devotional' or 'Assamese' touch, setting high standards for Zubeen's music. The English part of the song, which will probably be lip-synced by Adam Badi, is brilliant sung by Zubeen, which will surely make people remember, 'My heart it beats a thousand words' from Lagaan. Surely this song will make a difference to Shaswati's career which is somewhat dipping down, after the 'Kaanta Laga days'. If the Album is worth buying, it may be for the English Part rendered by Zubeen. I liked it very much.

Then comes 'ISHQ' by Zubeen. Truly speaking, while I was listening to this song, I felt, Zubeen will have a long innings in the music industry, after this. Its neither 'devotional' nor 'Assamese', and sung very very well. Here or there you feel that a Non-hindi speaking person is singing the song, but with the sheer brilliance of singing and composition Zubeen steers clear any such view.

The fourth song, 'Ramo Ramo', reminds you of you mother singing 'HoriNaams' during religious gatherings in your homes. Zubeen sings it in great style and proves that he is here long to stay. However certain words are not audible/intelligible because of it's 'Assamese' style, but that does not take any credit away from Zubeen, who brings forward, traditional Assamese singing into the Indian Music Industry.Zubeen deserves kudos for it.

Then comes 'Rimjhim Rimjhim' which matches with the Zikir 'Allar bine keu kisu nai Alla he'. But its the most catchy number of the Album and if a remix was released with it, it could have gone miles ahead. The Album is not promoted very well, may be due to financial constraints, but it surely has the potencial to make it big. Zubeen is here accompanied by Brishti Saikia and Anandita Paul. Though they do not make significant contribution to singing it, they are credited, appreciably by Zubeen, may be because of the anonimity he faced, singing alaaps of innumerable Hindi Hit numbers. Zubeen, you are a great soul.

The last number, 'OM', written by Baba Nagarjuna, to whom, incidently, the film is dedicated to, is sung by Zubeen, Angaraag and Sourain Roy Choudhury. The song is very well sung, as usual, but you may find it difficult to enjoy as the song is very fast paced. Overall you will like the song.

The Album has three-four very good.. brilliant numbers. They may make it big, if promoted well. I personally liked 'Kaise Kahoon', 'ISHQ' and 'Rimjhim Rimjhim' very much with Ramo Ramo closely behind. What I was disappointed with was the first song 'Piya Milan ko Jaana'. 'OM''s lyrics are hard hitting, so enjoyment quotient is a bit less.Friends, I would request you to buy the Album, as it would give a much need boost to Zubeen's Bollywood career, which we all would be proud of, both as a fan and as an Assamese.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sp_2012 thumbnail
ughhhhhhhh i hate this one(sry)
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: sp_2012

😕 who's tht

Meet Zubeen Garg

http://www.zubeen.com/

Zubeen Garg has arrived! With his amazing "Ya Ali" - Gangster

vinit_fan thumbnail
thanx for sharing..... 😛 😛 😛

Zubeen rockzzz !!!! 👏 👏 👏
filmi_chick99 thumbnail
zubeen is the guy who sang the original ya ali
apparaohoare thumbnail

😕 who's tht

Edited by Bhaskar.T - 17 years ago
pradip200 thumbnail

😕 who's tht

Singer Zubeen Garg

Know more about this singer :
http://guwahatitoday.com/music/zubin/zubin_main.html

pradip200 thumbnail
Zubeen Grag is not only a singer, he is also a music compuser, director, producer, writer etc....his profile goes long.............
Qwest thumbnail
Interview : Everything happening now for Zubeen Garg!

Zubeen Garg has arrived! With his amazing voice with 'Ya Ali', which has almost become an anthem now, he is making the nation rock to his voice. After topping the No. 1 chart slot of India, it is creating waves in the international music scene as well.  Singer composer Zubeen Garg may be a little known name in the national music scene, but he is a household name in his hometown Assam. Now he is getting wide recognition in the music industry with the song, and has surely found his place in Bollywood, after not getting his due with 'Fiza' and 'Kaante'. He is also debuting as a composer with Sanjay Jha's 'Strings'.  But we will also hear much of Zubeen in the days ahead!

Excerpts from an interview:

Many people are thinking that you're a new singer. Tell us about your journey through music.

Surely I'm not a new singer, I've been in this industry since six years. I've been sung for Jaane Kya Hoga Rama Re (Kaante) and Mere Wattan (Fiza). I was also offered songs by A.R.Rehman for Taal and Doli Saje Ke Rakh Na. Somehow it didn't materialize and the songs later went to Hariharan. I'm a singer and musician in Assam and have been working there for 12 years now. I compose music for Assamese films, and my private albums, which are huge hit in the region. I have sung in 40 languages, have composed for 26 Assamese films. I've also acted in films and have won a National award for a film called Dinabandhu.

You're both singer and musician. How did you establish your foothold?

I have always wanted to be a music director. In 1992 I entered the music industry in Assam as a singer. After singing for lots of music albums I took up composing music for films. I'm the first singer there who has sung in 40 different languages in northeast. I experimented a lot with folk music and then became a music director. Out of the 26 albums that I composed 15 are super sellout albums. My songs are rooted to Assamese culture but are very modern in their approach.

How did you enter the Bollywood music scene?

After establishing myself in Assam, I shifted base to Mumbai. I've been around for 5-6 years now. Here I've faced a lot of struggle. The initial days were not easy. But Anand Raj Anand who is a good friend of mine came out with a good number for me, the song of Kaante. I also sang Mere Vatan from Fiza. But still my career here didn't establish. For the better Ya Ali in Gangster changed all for me. I song is good and it gave me a good scope. I want to thank Pritam and Vishesh Films for it.

It seems that at last Bollywood has opened its door for you?

Yes it looks like that. I'm getting lot of offers now, I am singing for different directors and banners.

You're also turning a composer with Strings.

Strings is a crossover film in the setting of Kumbh Mela. I've composed the songs and have also featured in two of its video. It has been shot in Nasik and it was an incredible experience. This is the first time I'm composing in Bollywood but I'm already an established composer in my state.

How was it working for the music of the film?

I've really enjoyed working with director Sanjay Jha for Strings. He is very flexible and has given me liberty to do my work. The film is different and so the music is different as well. I've done lots of experimentation and have used my folk elements in this film merged with modern approach and westernized orchestration. The songs are from northeast and I'm using it for the first time. From Assam and Bengal where the songs are released the response has been good. I hope the people will appreciate it all over.

What kind of different songs have you put in?

There is as a whole six songs in the movie. I've used a 600-year-old Assami prayer and have converted it in Hindi, which will be the first song of the film. There is a poem by Baba Nagarjun who was a Hindi poet. As its rebel poem he was sent to jail for it. It's a satire on the drawbacks of our democracy. I've made it as a song. There is another Om song. Another good old song Piya Milan Ko Jana by Pankaj Mallik has been reprised here. The lyric is different here but the tune is same.

What are the other offers you are working on?

I'm singing for PNC production's Pyar Ke Side Effects. The music is by Pritam and there will be a wonderful song coming out of me again. I am singing for Anurag's film Woh Lamhe, another film Dekho Mil Gaya and also Vishal-Shekhar's composition.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
pradip200 thumbnail
Thanks for sharing Qwest

Know more about this singer :
http://guwahatitoday.com/music/zubin/zubin_main.html