LEGENDS OF PRINCE LAKSHMAN

Stalwart. thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

This thread is meant to share the legends , facts , tales , pictures and everything related to Prince Lakshman.

RULES :

• Commenting is allowed but please no spamming.
  • Post anything related to the topic.
  • Preferably use colors Dark Blue , Violet , Red and Maroon while posting main information.

LAKSHMAN - RISHIKESH UTTARAKHAND

Edited by Krishni51 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Stalwart. thumbnail
                             PRINCE LAKSHMAN

BIRTH , PARENTS AND FAMILY:Within a number of Hindu traditions Lakshmana is considered to be an avatar of Sesha.

Lakshmana is the twin brother of Prince Shatrughna, born in Ayodhya to Queen Sumitra(who was the princess of Kashi) and king Dasharath(ruler of Ayodhya and surrounding places).

His other brothers were Prince Ram born to Queen Kaushalya and Prince Bharat born to Queen Kaikeyi.

WITH RAMA:Despite being the twin of Shatrughna, Lakshmana is specially attached to Rama, and the duo are inseparable.

In Puranic scripture Lakshmana is described as the incarnation of Ananta Shesha, the thousand-headed Naga upon whom rests Lord Vishnu in the primordial ocean of milk (Kshirasagara). He is said to be an eternal companion of Vishnu in all incarnations.

Lakshmana is part of the Mariyada Purshottamm, or The Perfect Man personified by Rama, by his unswerving loyalty, love and commitment to his elder brother through times of joy and adversity alike. He is an invincible warrior committed to virtue and the service of his brother. He never covets the throne of Ayodhya, nor hesitates from joining his brother in exile, even though he does not have to.

MARRIAGE AND WIFE :

He married Princess Urmila the younger daughter of King Seeradhwaj Janak of Mithila (ruler of Videha).She was very beautiful.

She remained a faithful wife for 14 years. It is said that Lakshmana asked her not to shed tears when he left to the forest . She is also referred to as Urmila Devi.

Stalwart. thumbnail
CONTD.

LIFE AND CHARACTER :

Lakshmana serves Rama and Sita reverently during the exile, building them a home in the forest and devotedly standing guard during the night, and accompanying them on tiring journeys and long passages of lonely forest life without complaint or care for himself.

Lakshmana is revered for his absolute devotion to Rama. His performance of his duties as a younger brother is considered to be a sacrifice and superiority of character as such duties are especially hard to do in adverse conditions. Lakshmana's life symbolizes the duties of a man to his elders and superiors, and how greatly valued is seflessness in a man's character.

While he is generally considered to be rather short-tempered when compared to Rama, Lakshmana is also considered an important element of Mariyada Purushottama, displaying great courage and presence of mind when Rama becomes distraught, angry and desperate over the loss of Sita ' in an uncharacteristic display of desperation, a furious and almost hopeless Rama, not knowing of Sita's fate or whereabouts, is suddenly about to fire a weapon capable of bringing vast devastation of life; Lakshmana stops Rama, calms him down, explains to him that the world is not responsible for their separation from Sita, and consoles and encourages his righteous brother, while giving him support and strength to keep looking for her.

When Sita's jewels were given back by Sugriva to Rama, Rama lamented Sita's absence, remembering the jewels she used to wear. Lakshamana then gave Sita's toe-ring to Rama in order to aid his grief. What was implied is that he has never looked beyond the toe of Sita. As a great respect to the discipline followed by Lakshmana, the great Tamil poet Kamban made the statement on his character that "a great person never looks desiringly upon another's wife."

ENCOUNTER WITH SHURPANAKHA : Shurpanakha is one of the most important characters in the Ramayana. Indeed, Valmiki comes close to claiming that if there had been no Kaikeyi and no Surpanakha, then there would have been no Ramayana and no war with Ravana. In fact, Surpanakha was the arrow that set in motion the chain of events leading directly to the destruction of Ravana. Soorpanaka, therefore, like Kaikeyi before her, often gets the blame from Hindus as being the evil genius behind, and the sole cause of the Ramayana war.

According to the Valmiki Ramayana,she met the exiled Rama, the young Prince of Ayodhya, and was immediately smitten by his youthful good looks. Rama, however, spurned her advances, telling her that he was devoted to his wife, Sita, and that he would never take another wife. Rama then slyly suggested that she approach his younger brother, Lakshmana, with her proposition. Lakshmana reacted in a similar manner, deriding Surpanakha and telling her that she was not what he desired in a wife. Realizing eventually that the brothers were making fun of her, the humiliated and jealous Surpanakha attacked Sita but was thwarted by Lakshmana, who cut off her nose and sent her back to Lanka.

Stalwart. thumbnail

KILLING OF INDRAJIT : Indrajit was the son of the Lankan king Ravana.

Fierce battle ensued, and unable to injure Lakshmana by normal means, Indrajit resorted to the use of the three Supreme Weapons (Brahmastra, Pashupatastra, and Vaishnavastra) on Lakshmana. To Indrajit's great shock and dismay, each of the three weapons refused to even touch Lakshmana, with the Vaishnavastra circumambulating Lakshmana before disappearing. Realization dawned on Indrajit that Lakshmana was no ordinary human as he and his father had perceived. Indrajit vanished briefly from the battlefield, returning to Ravana at the royal palace, and reported the developments, proposing that his father make peace with Rama and protect the demon race from further decimation. Ravana, blinded with pride, was unrelenting and annoyed, and even suggested that Indrajit was a coward having fled the battlefield. This accusation provoked Indrajit who briefly lost his temper, striking fear even at the mighty Ravana's heart before apologising and clarifying to his father that his primary duty as a son was to serve his father's best interests, and that even in the face of death, he'd never abandon Ravana. Preparing to go back on the battle and knowing that he indeed faced death at the hands of a heavenly incarnation, Indrajit bade his last goodbyes to his parents and his wife. He returned to the battlefield and fiercely fought Lakshmana with all his skill at both warfare, and sorcery. Lakshmana was unstoppable, and slew Indrajit by beheading him with the Aindrastra (verses 71 and 72 chapter 90 Yudhkanda Valmiki Ramayana).

The verse invoked by Lakshmana to slay Indrajit is considered by the devout as one of the moola mantras of the Ramayana:

dharmaatmaa satyasandhashcha raamo daasharathiryadi | pauruShe chaapratidvandvastadenaM jahi raavaNim || 90-6-71

"[O! my dear arrow!] If Rama, the son of Dasaratha, is ever firm on the staying the path of Dharma and Satya, and is second to none in his prowess, go forth and destroy this Indrajit."

CHILDREN :Princess Urmila and Prince Lakshman had two sons, Angad and Dharmaketu.

OTHER INCARNATIONS : During the Dvapara Yuga, he incarnated as Balarama. He is said to be an eternal companion of Vishnu in all incarnations.

Stalwart. thumbnail

LAKSHMAN STUTI
                                                    -BY TULSIDAS
Dandak

Laal laadile lakhan, hit haau janke |

sumire sankathaaree, sakal sumangalkaaree,

paalak kripaalu apne panke ||1||

dharnee-dharanhaar bhanjan-bhuvanbhaar,

avtaar saahsee sahasphanke ||

satyasangh satyabrat, param dharamrat,

nirmal karam bachan aru manke ||2||

roopke nidhaan, dhanu-baan paani,

toon kati, mahabeer bidit, jitaaiyaa bade ranke ||

sevak-sukh-daayak, sabal, sab laayak,

gaayak jaankeenaath gunganke ||3||

bhaavte bharatke, sumitra-seetaake dulaare,

chaatak chatur raam syaam ghanke ||

ballabh urmilaake, sulabh snehbas,

dhanee dhan tulseese nirdhanke ||4||

O lovable darling Lakhan ji! You are a well-wisher of bhaktas.The instant one does your smarana or meditates upon you, you get rid of the dire misfortunes which befall us. You do all splendid actions for our well-being, keep your promise and are merciful towards the needy.||1||
You are the one who lifts the earth, annihilates the burden of the world, are very brave and an incarnation of Shesh Naag (name of a thousand-headed snake, regarded as the symbol of eternity, on which Visnu sleeps throughout periods of dissolution of the world). You are true to your promise and religious vow, and extremely fond of righteousness. Having a lovingly tender mind, you keep your word and do your karmas (nobly perform your duties) ||2||

Reservoirs of Beauty, Shri Ram & Lakshman with Bows & Arrows

You are a reservoir of beauty, hold the bow and arrow in your hands with a quiver bound around your waist. You are a heroic warrior, renowned the world over ! And you inevitably triumph in several great battles. You grant joy to those who serve you, are very powerful, are gifted in every possible manner and ardently sing the glories of Lord Ram, the husband of Janaki (Sita)||3||
You are loved by Bharat ji (your brother) and very dear to Sumitra (mother of Lakshman), and Sita ji.

And being an alert chaatak (the pied cuckoo or papiha supposed to live only on rain-drops esp those falling in the autumn asterism of savan ) of the dark-hued cloud of Shri Ram, you are the husband of Urmila ji.
Easily attainable by love, you are very magnanimous in granting the wealth of religious devotion for Lord Ram to a pauper like Tulsi.

Stalwart. thumbnail

TALE-1

SITA GARLANDING RAM;LAKSHMAN'S PRESENCE OF MIND

Sita was Janaka's foster daughter. He had another daughter by name Urmila. His brother Kushadwaja also had two daughters by name Mandavi and Srutakeerthi. With the consent of King Dasaratha, it was decided that the four brides would be given in marriage to the four brothers. Dasaratha was happy that all his four sons who were born on the same day were getting married on the same day and same time. The marriage function was celebrated in all grandeur.

Sweet notes of auspicious music reverberated in the air. The Vedic priests chanted the sacred mantras full-throated and blessed the couples. King Dasaratha shed tears of joy. Everyone was filled with divine bliss watching the marriage proceedings.

It is customary during the occasion that the bride and the bridegroom exchange garlands. Sita had to garland Rama first, before the other brides could garland their respective bridegrooms. Sita, being short in stature(THAT MEANS NOT AS TALL AS RAMA), could not garland Rama who was ajanubahu (tall personality). Unless Rama bent His head before Sita, she could not garland Him. But He did not want to bend His head lest people should blame Him for not maintaining the honour of His lineage. Unable to garland Rama, Sita was holding the garland in her hand for a long time.
There is another secret in this act of Rama. Lakshmana was the incarnation of Adisesha, who carried the mother earth on his hood. Rama looked at Lakshmana as if to say, "Look, why don't you raise that part of the earth where Sita is standing to enable her to garland Me?" Then Lakshmana indicated to Rama that it was not possible to raise any particular area. If he tried to raise that part of the earth where Sita was standing, simultaneously Rama would be raised and so also others.
Lakshmana, being endowed with intelligence, thought of a plan to solve the problem. All of a sudden, he fell at the feet of Rama and did not get up for a long time. Rama had to bend to lift Lakshmana up. Sita seized the opportunity and lost no time in garlanding Rama. Then the other three brides garlanded their respective grooms. The four brothers and their brides shone like brilliant gemstones. The onlookers shed tears of joy watching the grand spectacle.
Stalwart. thumbnail

TALE-2(ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ARTI)

One cute aspect of lakshmana its from uttar ramayana by bhaavbhuti
Its the scene where sitamaa lord rama and lakshmana were sitting and sitama was showing him the wedding picture and she playfully lakshmana asked to recognize the brides as all the four brides were covered in the veil...lakshman points out the protraits and said "this is my noble lady sita this is noble lady mandavi this is shutakriti" he passes over the pics of urmila sita however notices the omission and similing asked "brother who is this one"?? lakshmana lower his eyelids and blushed and says to himself with a bashful smile "its my urmila"?????

Stalwart. thumbnail
TALE-3
Urmila-Maha Prasad
There is a legend behind Lord Jagannath's Mahaprasad. In Tretaya Yuga after beheading Ravana, the ten-faced monster in Srilanka, Lord Ramachandra, Laxman and others had returned to Ayodha. It was Urmila, the consort of Lord Laxman who was silently listening to the great happenings. All were unanimous that Laxmana was instrumental in killing Indrajit. All were discussing that Indrajit was so powerful and got boon that only that person who has not taken food for fourteen years constantly and who has not slept for fourteen years uninterruptedly can kill Indrajit. There was a meeting inside the palace in the evening time to know the truth behind this matter. Lord Rama questioned to Laxman that, Oh Laxman you have not taken food for continuous fourteen years, and what happened
to those food packets, which I had given you at Panchabati during our stay ? Laxman patiently replied, Oh Lord, I have kept all those food packets in hole of Sami Tree at Panchabati. In order to ascertain the authenticity Lord Rama said, Oh Hanuman you go to Panchabati and bring back those food packets, which have been preserved in the hole of 'Sami Tree'. Lord Hanuman developed enigma on this matter. He thought, Lord is aware of my strength. He knows that I had brought the Gandhamardana mountain in one hand, when Laxman was unconscious by the arrow of Indrajit. He became hesitant to bring those food packets, but at last he performed journey from Ayodhya to Sami Tree at Panchabati. Hanuman saw that those food packets have been kept intact but when
he attempted to lift those food packets he could not lift and at last returned to Ayodhya and with humble words told his master, that he could not lift those food packets. Lord Rama could know that due to Hanumana's ego that he could not lift those food packets. At last Laxman said I will fetch those food packets from Panchabati. Laxman with his powerful arrow could bring back those food packets and all were accumulated in front of Lord Rama. Lord Rama was surprised and asked Hanuman to ascertain that whether the food items supplied to Laxmana for fourteen years have been kept intact or not ? Hanuman counted and informed that seven packets were not available. Lord Rama was eager to know from Laxman about those missing packets. Laxman most humbly repliedlet me tell the mistery behind it.
Laxman said that when you and I had listened the news of death of our dearest father, Dasaratha in the forest you had not supplied me, the food on that very day. When we got the news that Ravana has kidnapped Sita from Panchabati on that day you did not supply the food packet. Then it was on third occasion when Mahi Ravana took both of us to Patala to offer sacrifice before Lankeswari on that day also we were in fast and took no food. On fourth occasion, when I became unconscious, due to arrow hitting of Indrajit I was not in a state to take food. On the day when Indrajit was beheaded I had not taken food for fifth time. It was on the sixth occasion that when you beheaded Ravana you did not take any food. You had committed Brahmahatya as Ravana was a Brahmin and he was the son of Bisrarba Rishi. Lastly, when there was national mourning due to death of Ravana in Sri Lanka on the next day we joined the mourning and left Lanka
without taking any food.
Lord Rama was overwhelmed with the supreme sacrifice and dedication by Laxman. Then he praised the supreme sacrifice of Urmila, that how she spent fourteen years without Laxman. Lord Rama told - 'I had gone to fourteen years exile with my wife Sita. See such a wife who had made supreme sacrifice. She had eagerly waited the return of Laxman for fourteen years. All praise goes to Urmila. In Ayodhya we have got three thrones, one for me, one for Sita and another throne for Laxman. So the fourth throne will be installed for Urmila'. Urmila told Lord Rama, that 'I have no desire for any throne. I may be given the opportunity to serve you.' Then Rama was pleased and told Urmila, to seek for the boon as she wants. Then humble Urmila said that if you want to grant me any boon, then please grant that in the ages to come there will be neither any temple for me, nor I will be worshipped on any throne. I want to become an incense stick
by which I will give fragrance to you all. I will be at your lotus feet for ages to come. Lord Rama was so pleased and told 'I grant you this boon that in the Kali Yuga when I will be worshipped at Puri Temple, Goddess Laxmi will not be installed by my side. Laxman in Treteya Yuga has become my younger brother and in Kali Yuga he will be my elder brother Balabhadra. You will be Mahaprasad and by your fragrance you will spread the flavour and will be worshipped. Any Prasad which will be offered to me will be offered to Goddess Vimala and then it will be Mahaprasad and will be taken as Prasad by devotees. You will remain as Mahaprasad for years to come. Devotees will worship you, so Tretaya's Urmila is the Goddess Vimala in Kali Yuga.
Stalwart. thumbnail
TALE-4
From - Narasimhapriyaa(Vaishnava Mthly Magazine)PARVATHI, assuming the form of a parrot, intending to test the determination
of LAKSHMANA, questions him ; and LAKSHMANA, who was the master of his senses was happy to reply to her queries.

Parvathi:When a women full of fire and a man like a pot of ghee co - exist, whose mind not waver?

Lakshman:The mind of a man born of noble parentage, will forever be steadfast without any wavering.

Parvathi:Flowers, fruits and young women are beautiful. Whose mind not waver on seeing all the three together?

Lakshman:For one who has conquered his senses, and who regards other's wives as his own mother, even though he may be moving everywhere, his mind will not waver.

Parvathi:Whose mind will not waver when he sees the gentle - smiling woman bedecked with all ornaments, whose face resembles the lotus and who radiates the fragrance of a lotus?

Lakshman:One who is happy to serve at the lotus - feet of Mother Goddess and who always controles his mind, his mind will never waver.

Parvathi:Whose mind will not waver on seeing a beautiful lady with a slim waist and one whose husband is away and stays alone in the hermitage.

Lakshman:A pious minded person, who knows his brother's wife, the good natured daughter of King JANAKA as the Consort of Lord VISHNU, his mind will not waver.

Parvathi:KAUSIKA the great sage, who was the very embodiment of penance and determination, yielded on seeing the heavenly MENAKA, giving up his hard -earned penance . How does not your mind waver ?

Lakshman:Leaving my Wife, I have come to the forest with the sole purpose of serving my brother. So my mind does not waver.

Parvathi:How is it that your great mind is so steadfast, when there may be a momentary wavering when one often sees one's sister, mother or daughter alone?

Lakshman:I am seeing only the anklets and not seeing the armlets and other ornaments of SITA and am always meditating on Lord RAMA. Who can perturb my mind?

Lakshman continues:Just as a devotee who worship SIVA along with his Conort GAURI everday, can harbour no evil thoughts, so too, I am steadfast.

Lakshman:(praises RAMA)One who has the mark of the Conch on his left arm and the mark of the Discus on his right arm and one who wears the urdhava pundra marks on his forehead, for him there is no wavering.

Lakshman continues:One who is mind is filled by thoughts of the holy CAUVERY , SETU and GANGES by the good teacing of the acharya -s and whose mind constantly remembers the Lord of SRI, for a such a person there is no wavering.

Lakshman:One whose mind shines with the ASHTAKSHARA and DVAYA MANTRA along with CHARAMA SLOKA, for him there is no wavering.

Parvati Says :
I bow down to you, who have conquered your senses. I wanted to test you,having heard the story about your determination .

Phalasruti
One who reads or listens to this dialogue between PARVATI and LAKSHMANA,will have all his desires fulfilled by the grace of Lord RAGHAVA.
" A blessed soul who conquers his senses alone will shine in splendour ".
Stalwart. thumbnail
TALE-5(ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ARTI)
Ek anokha adhaya on lakhanji...
Its the test of lakhanji taken from the folk tales...
The story is something like this... once narad ji tested lakshmanji's devotion and dedication towards his brother..it happened during the exile period wen ram and lakshman were living peacefully in suburbs of chitrakoot and lord Vishnu was praising the selfless service of lakshmanji''' Naradji grew curios and decided to test it he went in the forest where a yaksha was residing in form of a holy lion'.he was the owner of the forest.naradji asked the holy lion (yajna ) to refuse lakshman to give water'. here...ram was thirsty and he asked lakshman to fetch some water for him lakshman went near the pond and was about to drew some water but immediately the holy lion came there and refused to give water to him and said "u cant kill me as right now im in the territory of ur brother so I m in raam sharan."...lakshman replied yes i know and my brother had ordered me not to kill any animals but i need the water and tell me what do u want in return the lion said "I m hungry for a long time bring a animal for me"...lakshman replied "i cant as right now other animals are too in raam sharan i cant do any harm to them" lion said "in such case I cant help u"..
to this lakshman replied ".but right now i need the water from this lake and if its condition in exchange of water... i offer myself to u ''''give me the water and u can eat me...the lion consented and give the water lakshman took the water in the cottage and said to his brother that i m sorry i cant serve u any longer plz take care of urself and my sister in law'' ram asked the reason behind then lakshman said i have an agreement with the lion in exchange of water i have offfered myself ram understood and gave him some instructions
lakshman went to the lion and said here i m here'u can fullfill your wish...the lion came near and sniffed him then left without harming him naradji who was watching the whole incident was utterly suprised he asked the lion y did u spared lakshman lion replied i m king of the forest not a vulture u know i dont feed on dead person...lakshman wasnt breathing he was dead how can i eat him and he went away naradji then looked at lakshmanji who was smiling there...
naradji was confused he asked lakshman u r alive then y did lion said u were dead'..lakshman said my brother had ordered me that not to recite his name wen I m present before lion he said not to remember him at this point'..and wen ram isnt there in my heart my mind I m dead like ''.naradji was surprised lakshman smiled and said lord if u r satisfied with ur test can I go and serve my brother...

And the lake is known as lakshman kund its situated in MP (the folktale is popular there)...