Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

queen-bee thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Well this debate is going on quite well..................Someone has mentioned why we still watch this crappy stuff when we know it is not going to do any good to us. I'd like to give my 2 cents opinion on that.

Understood that these soaps give us insecurity and self doubts that shed our hearts and make our eyes well up with tears. We all agree that at some point, even good soaps, now-a-days become litany of errors! Full of all sorts of madness! Initially they start off to personify romantic rebellion and bravado, but often get mixed up and then, things go wrong in a majestic fashion! We live in a world of multiple choices. We are guided by reason, facts and evidence, then why do we watch this nonsensical tale which gives us a sense of ennui!

Well, in our daily life we are called upon to play many parts in the multitasking and multimodal lives many of us lead. We are quite tired of the ever-accelerating pace of life, on planet earth, so we just watch TV, which has now walked into our living room, for handsome hunks and lovely prima donnas! I for one watch the world of fantasy with a flexible mind!! People who have no stomach for all this melodrama can find something else to tickle their fancy!They can watch endless car-chases & graphic violence! Soap makers or fantasy land people are not telling us to turn our backs on truth and chase mirages!!

By having these discussion forums we get to know people from all over the world. We rant and chant with them and now that serial's creative heads have started visiting us probably they'll get our message and try to make amends!! Hope this post serves as enlightenment for them (serial makers!).

Edited by mink - 18 years ago
ronit_dream thumbnail

Hi,

I think most of the serials were nice in the beginning, but they get deteriorated somewhere down the line. Most of the serials are bad.

I keep watching reruns of american sitcoms like Friends, Full House, etc. Also,I watch Star One. It is a new channel and it has fresh concepts like Remix, Sarabhai, Special Squad, Guns n Roses, hotel Kingston, Khichdi etc. These shows are different and nice. Zoom Tv is nice too.

Apart from that, I watch all shows featuring Ronit Roy-no matter how crappy the story is 😃

*Anjali* thumbnail
you have all brought up great points and I agree with a lot of your points.  I just wanted to add that there is a new show on Zee tv called "Sarrkar" which is really different, and in my opinion, a cut above the rest.  It is about politics, so if you aren't into politics much, it may not be your cup of tea.  But I'm not really into politics and i think it's great.  Instead of made up women who cry all day, it's about a strong woman who's husband (who is a CM) passes away and she becomes the new CM.  I would say if you're sick of the same storylines, then this is the show to watch.
sanum thumbnail

i agree evry 1 ekta killed mahi in da soap and i strded cryin. she cant make soaps

sanum thumbnail

oi u us person i agree wiv evry ting u said

i tink we both hav da same enemy

innocentindian thumbnail

Originally posted by: mink

We are quite tired of the ever-accelerating pace of life, on planet earth, so we just watch TV, which has now walked into our living room, for handsome hunks and lovely prima donnas!

aaah yessss! the luvly and beautiful dr. simran ... 😊😛

Rifhat thumbnail

Hello All,

You all have made very vaild points. From the Indian to American  serials all drag on but the only good serials are the Pakistani ones. Pakistani movies may be crap but the serials are just excellent and we have many examples. They don't drag and the story line is just too good.

Cheers,

Rifhat

shiverz thumbnail

Yes, I agree with everybody that a majority of the Indian TV Serials start off very well and eventually end up dragging and stretching! But isn't that the most serial creators' or TV company's business? They want to create a story and at the same time, try to keep it running as long as they can so they can make more money! So, I guess for most of the shows, we have to be prepared to watch some of the serials be dragged or stretched at times since that is probably one of their goals. Just my thoughts.. 

And despite all the stretching and dragging of the show at times, I still continue to watch JJKN and some other Indian serials every day!😛

Edited by shiverz - 18 years ago
satimann thumbnail
i dont watch astitva and piya ka ghar anymore if they are going to do same with tumari disha i think i will stop watching it, i agree with Rifhat that Pakistani serials are good that way at least they do not drag and donn't change the characters as well.
vvrsun thumbnail

I don't know if any of you have noticed it. The serials are supposed to run in 30 minute-slots (as opposed to major serials in the US which run in 1 hour-slots), but the actual serial time is only 13 minutes or less! And in that thirteen minutes they waste a minute or 2 on the so-called recaps. So you get to watch only an actual 10-12 minutes, but spend 30 minutes in front of the boob-tube, per serial. (In the US, the alternate commercial slots are as long as 2 minutes, the rest are of smaller durations, but with at least 10 minutes serial-time in between.)

The rest of the time is occupied by commercials (ads), which rakes in money for the TV channel, which in turn gets money for the serial-producer.

See how the TV moghuls and the Ektas fool the adoring public!