Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Jaspal Bhatti, the common man with uncommon humour

arshmeet.hora thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

"Rote hue aate hain sab'. Hasta Hua Jo Jayega' Woh Mukadar Ka Sikander Jaaneman Kahalaaega"

Today we bid our adieu to one such Mukadar Ka Sikander - Famous comedian, actor and satirist Jaspal Bhatti, not just that he was a Legend in his own sense'a Common Man with an Uncommon Humour, perhaps one of the most famous Sikh comedians.

The Actor died in a road accident near Punjab's Nakodar town, 40 km from here, early Thursday. Bhatti's car collided with a tree along the highway while he was on his way to Jalandhar for the promotion of his latest film "Power Cut". Police said that the accident happened around 3 a.m. while Bhatti was on his way to Jalandhar from Bathinda. Bhatti, 57, was rushed to a hospital in Jalandhar after the accident where doctors declared him dead.

His son, Jasraj, was also injured in the accident along with the film's heroine SuriliGautam and another person. They were being treated in a hospital in Jalandhar, 150 km from state capital Chandigarh.

POWER CUT:

Bhatti's latest film "Power Cut", which he had produced and directed, was to be released this Friday. The film was to launch his son, Jasraj.

He was on a 40-day tour for the promotion of his latest film. The tour was to end Thursday with a media conference in Jalandhar. Apparently the 40th day did not only end his tour but his journey of life.

It could only be called coincidence that just a Day before the release of his next film that can be his sons much awaited debut that a father would be missing from this proud moment and instead of celebrating the family will be drowned in remorse and shock of Bhatti's sudden demise.

Bhatti's Life Journey:

Like I said' he was a common man with uncommon humour and that became his meal ticket. It all started with Nonsense Club, his street play venture in college. Most of these plays were spoofs ridiculing corruption in society. Before venturing into television, he was a cartoonist for the The Tribune newspaper in Chandigarh.

In the 1990s, he pioneered the home-made comedy Flop Show on Indian Hindi TV channel Doordarshan!

THE FLOP SHOW:

A Low Budget venture that had him and his wife in various avatars of a middle class couple, although it was just a 10 episode series but the heart it won increased exponentially over the years. Following the same was Ulta Pulta, What attracted audience to his shows was his gift of inducing humour to highlight everyday issues of the middle class in India.

MAHAUL THEEK HAI:

Mahaul Theek Hai (1999) was his first directorial venture for a full-length feature film in his native Punjabi language. A Satire on Punjab Police, it was well received amongst audience for its simple and honest humour.

Over the years he has tickled the audiences with his roles and stints on various political and regular troubles.

WISE WORDS:

India's leading media critic Amita Malik says of him:

"Bhatti has the correct style for TV, an understated, quiet humour which sinks in without shouting, and which mercilessly exposes both corruption in our everyday life and the typical people, who thrive on it. The grim fact and the hard truths of our society so bitter otherwise are made so funny through the adept handling of Bhatti, that cleansing laughter is created out of common malpractices."

Twitter RIP:

• MoviesOKIndia ?

#Jaspal Bhatti..Though he didn't star much in Hindi movies, his TV show 'Flop Show' will be etched in our minds forvever..RIP Bhattiji

• Anupam Kher ?

I used to tell Jaspal Bhatti that he does fantastic comedy so seriously. He was also a great supporter of anti corruption campaign. RIP

• Jay Hind! ?

RIP Jaspal Bhatti. First to lampoon corruption via comedy. THAT TOO ON GOVT OWNED DOORDARSHAN. aaj sabkuchh ULTA-PULTA ho gaya.

• CNN-IBN News 

Goodbye, Jaspal Bhatti: India's poker faced satirist, beloved common man

• dia mirza ?@deespeak

Goodbye, Jaspal Bhatti. So few can be satirical, topical, intelligent and yet roaringly popular. RIP."

• Narendra Modi ?

Jaspal Bhatti's demise is unfortunate. He filled our lives with much needed humour. My condolences to his family. May his soul rest in peace

• RITEISH DESHMUKH ?

RIP JASPAL BHATTI- one of the first ppl to entertain audience with his political satires. Condolences to the family- a big n untimely loss.

NO TEAR:

He was my favourite too'I can still remember scenes from his flop show, Ulta Pulta that has made me laugh so hard that I had tears in my eyes and I am sure there would be a lot my audiences that will consent to this.

So let us just close our eyes for a minute or two and tell him that we might and actually no one might continue his legacy of effortless comic taunts, but yes we would remember him as an entertainer, an enlighter and shed NO TEAR.

This will be one the best Goodbye that we could give him, maintaining his efforts of making us smile. So smile on and shed No Tear. 

Original Post Link: http://www.idubba.com/articles/2012/10/25/jaspal-bhatti-common-man-uncommon-humour-dies-car-accident/

Edited by arshmeet.hora - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Viji79 thumbnail
OMG...say this isn't true. RIP Jaspal Bhatti
KulfiBai thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This is very unfortunate. My deep, heartfelt condolences go to the Bhatti family. Don't worry, this is all in God's plan. He gives and he takes away.  
candykrush thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

What a comedian he was...Such an unexpcted news...RIP sir :(