Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SmileXD thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Hey guys, prologue of the Dear John concept is up if you want to take a look. Thanks for all the comments and likes, I know I don't reply individually, but this for is for everyone, 

THANK YOU :) :) :)

Take care, Ava 

Edited by SmileXD - 11 years ago
BrunoMars thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Left a comment there...Edited by BrunoMars - 11 years ago
oriyana thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
You have started that in a fabulous way!
SmileXD thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Hey guys.
Being ill provides two things. One, is updates. Two, are they good updates? (coughs and looks away) The following two, maybe three chapters will be products of my illness. So sorry if it doesn't meet expectations. 

||Chapter fourteen||                    

Ponzo and Pierre 

The day of his first ever cancer team meeting had arrived. Never in his life did he think he'd be sitting in a meeting room where the most important person in there was him. He leaned in closer to her ears and whispered, "I feel so damn special. Look, they're all talking about me." She gave him a pay attention look which he ignored and turned his attention towards the pens on the table. Picking them up, he started writing out some notes and chords; if only he could figure out a melody. "Viraat, Viraat?" He looked up to see that all eyes were on him. "Sorry, what." Maanvi spoke first. "Viraat this is.." She indicated to the person behind her. "Hi, my name is Dr Reid, I'm your haematologist, but you can call me Athena." He stood up to level with the tall, skinny, middle aged lady with curly blonde hair. "And I'm Viraat, the new victim of cancer," he replied shaking her hand. "I'm sorry for arriving late; I was just at the lab collecting your results. By the way, this is Dr McAdams, he's in charge of sticking needles and knifes in to you while you lie helplessly on a surgical table. This is Dr Lloyd; he's your Physician assistant, so like your PA, literally. He'll be taking care of your screenings, ordering meds, performing regular tests, etc, etc. That's Taylor, your appointed chef. She'll help make sure you're eating the right things in order to annoy the cancer right out of you. And let's not forget Kayla, she's going to be your nurse, so feel free to order her about." He smiled at the Doctor, he liked her already. "Viraat I've looked over your past notes and it seemed to me that you ignored a lot of your symptoms before consulting your GP." He nodded. "It's okay, I'm not telling you off, it's just from now on if you have any problems, no matter how little you have to make sure you tell one of us." "Okay." He watched her open a file with his name on it, this was it, time to find out how hard he'll have to fight. He felt a squeeze on his hand and looked down to see her hands warm his. "Keep faith, remember," she said. He smiled, "I remember." 

"After looking at your Bone Marrow sample, it's determined that you've got Leukaemia, more precisely Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia." She explained his disease to him in more detail and this time he paid close attention; after all the more you know about the enemy, the easier it is to take them down. "So what stage is it at?" he asked after she finished. "Well Leukaemia isn't a cancer that can be described in stages, it's more sensible to assess the patient according to their level of risk." She paused, "Unfortunately Viraat, you're.." "I'm high risk, aren't I?" She nodded. 

This time it wasn't Maanvi's hand that started to shake, it was her whole body. The prospect of losing him had settled in the minute he said he had cancer, but sitting here, listening to all these qualified medical professions state that he's at the danger end of the meter just made it seem even more real. She tightened her grip on his hand to make sure he was still here, next to her, reminding herself that he wasn't going anywhere. "So the treatment?" she asked. "Phase one is induction chemotherapy. This is where we would use Combination Chemo Drugs to kill as many of the lymphoblast's as possible and get him in to remission." Maanvi looked at Viraat who leaned back in to his chair, a glint sparked his eyes. "So basically, step one is to get rid of these bas***ds." Athena laughed, "Oh you're going to be a fighter aren't you?" He smiled, "One can only hope doc." 

The rest of the meeting consisted of more information and an in depth look into his treatment. It was five minutes before the end when he was told the news. "Viraat due to the intensity of these drugs there are going to be some serious side effects." "Like?" Athena sighed, "You most likely won't be able to have children. Even if you get a complete remission and manage a five year EFS, the brutal fact is that the medicines will have already ruined your chances." "So I can't become a father?" he asked quietly. "Well not exactly. Viraat, there is an option available for every male cancer patient like yourself which could give you the chance of having children in the future."

~~~

Maanvi was sitting outside the cyrobank in the hospital flicking through some cancer leaflets she got from Taylor. She got up when he came out of the lab. "So how'd it go?" she asked. This time he ran both his hands down his hair. "It sucks," he replied sitting down. "The procedure sucked?" "Yes, I mean no. The instructions were just so clear. I think I'm permanently scarred." He closed his eyes and she knew that the instructions weren't all that bothered him. "Viraat, what's really wrong?" she asked softly, sitting down next to him. He sighed. "I know I probably shouldn't be thinking of a future right now, but I always thought I'd have kids. I mean I grew up without a Dad and trust me it's pretty heart-breaking during baseball games watching your team members run to their Dads when you don't have one. It just hurts in that same exact spot every time knowing that you're the fatherless kid. I vowed that when I became a father I would never miss any one of my children's dance recitals, baseball games, art shows, plays, science fairs, whatever it was, they would find me present. I would always be standing there waiting for my child to run up to me and say, 'Look daddy, look what I did' and I would just feel like the proudest person alive. But now it even seems like cancer doesn't like that idea either." "Viraat.." He slumped down his seat, "It royally sucks." She knew exactly how he felt; she wasn't just fatherless she was also motherless. The difference between their cases was that his loss made him want to have kids and fulfil the void, whereas her loss just made her determined not to ever be part of a family, let alone start one. "You can still have kids," she said reassuringly. "Lab kids," he responded. "They're not lab kids." "Well it's not natural." He stood up, "Forget it, I mean I probably won't even have time to think about having lab kids; I'll be too busy dying." She got up too. "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that considering your mentally unstable and in a very emotional state right now." He held her hand, "Gee, you sure know how to make guy sound hot." 

Earlier that day, 

Boston..

Viren watched Jeevika stare at her phone. "Waiting for a guy to call?" he asked. "Yeah," she responded. "Jeevika! You're cheating on me??" She looked at him with a lost look. "Who's cheating on who?" He realised she didn't hear a word he was saying. "It's nothing. Why are you staring at your phone?" She shrugged and mumbled something he couldn't quite hear. "Speaking louder won't put you in to prison you know." She stayed silent. "J. Speak," he ordered turning her to face him. "I want to tell Maanvi," she blurted. He froze for a second, if Maanvi finds out he kept his true identity hidden then he was a dead man. He took out his phone and made a call. "Viren, what are you doing?" he heard her ask. "I'm calling the graveyard." "Why?" "Well I have to book a plot for myself. After your sister kills me, I want my body to at least lie near some daffodils or something." She started laughing, "You're scared of her that much?" He nodded, "More." "Look, I won't tell her," He smiled, "Really." "For now. I'll tell her when she comes back from NY." He reluctantly nodded. "So you won't have to book yourself a plot for another two weeks," she added. "That's not funny." "Yes it is." "No, I'm sure it isn't." "It's funny."

She dialled her number and a couple of rings later..

Maanvi: Hi Di 
Jeevika: Hey Mannu, how's everything?
Maanvi: Good. Erm Di was it anything important, or can I call you later?
Jeevika: I haven't called you in four days. Isn't that reason enough?
Maanvi: Sorry, it's just I'm really busy now
Jeevika: Oh, it's okay. I just wanted to check that you're coming back in two weeks.
Maanvi: Actually, it might be a little longer than that. 
Jeevika: Why? Maanvi did you do something bad again?!
Maanvi: Whaat! No! Why do you always assume that I did something bad. It's just the APB thing has been extended.
Jeevika: Okay, okay sorry. So when are you coming back then?
Maanvi: I'm not sure. 
Jeevika: Oh. I guess I'll talk to you later then. Take care, love you.
Maanvi: Di, I have to tell you something. (Pause) It's just you know, ca..
Jeevika: (worried) What's wrong Mannu?
Maanvi: It's nothing, (sighs) Love you too, and miss you loads. I'll call you soon okay.
Jeevika: But Mannu..

The line cut dead. "That's weird." "What is?" Viren asked. "I think she's hiding something from me," Jeevika replied. "Who, Maanvi?" She nodded. "Are you sure you're not actually sisters? I mean you're both hiding something from each other and at the same time. That's deep." He patted his heart with his fist. She picked up the nearest object and threw it at him. "Dude that was a book!  You could have taken out my eye," he whined. She stood up, "Well dude, you should think twice before mocking me and my sister." "Sorry I won't dare make that mistake again," he said wholeheartedly. "I might consider forgiving you if I got a pretzel," she said. "One pretzel coming right up," he replied immediately. "It has to be cinnamon, with Nutella on top and it has to be hot," she added. He backed out of the room, "Done, done and done." She watched him leave and sat back down. "What are you hiding from me Mannu? I hope everything's okay with you and, oh crap! I forgot to ask about Viraat." How could she have forgotten that her sister had just confessed her love and that too four days ago. It was all Viren's fault. Him and his shock of a lifetime. "That pretzel better taste amazingly delicious if I'm letting him off that easy," she muttered dialling Maanvi's number again. "The number you are currently calling is switched off, please.." Switched off?? But she was just talking to her five minutes ago. 

NY..
Maanvi switched off her cell and so did Viraat as they crossed the hospitals threshold. "What's with the face?" she heard him ask. "Nothing, just wondering about Di." "Did you tell her about the cancer?" She shook her head. "Have you told Ty yet?" she asked. Everyone but the kids and Ty knew about his Cancer. They found out when Barney broke down in front of them before they left for their respective cities. They wanted to tell Ty but Barney convinced them that it was best for Viraat to tell him personally considering he stays in New York. 

Viraat shrugged, "I'll tell him later." She stopped him from entering the meeting room. "Later?" He sighed, "Tonight, I'll tell him tonight." 

Evening
Viraat sat on his bed watching Maanvi pack folded clothes in to a clean gym bag. They came back from the hospital two hours ago and she hadn't stopped moving since. "Sweatpants or jeans?" she asked. He opted for his Adidas sweats. "Which t-shirt do you want to wear tonight?" she asked next. "The Beatles one." She nodded and packed his favourite tee along with the rest of his clothes for the night in to the bag. "Slow down my speedy Sherni. Why don't you sit for a few minutes?" he said grabbing her hand as she walked by. She freed her hand, "Not now, I have to make sure I get everything done on time, it's nearly six thirty and we have to get back to St James' in an hour." He watched her fiddle with some papers. "What's that?" She sat cross legged on the floor spreading the papers out in a semi-circle around her. "It's your schedule, rule book, medicine times and some other stuff," she replied. He flopped backwards on to his pillows, he was about to be officially admitted in to the hospital. In less than an hour and a half he'll have a wrist band with his name on his arm advocating to the world that he is now a full-time patient. He let out a silent yay closing his eyes. The doorbell rang a few moments later. He kept his eyes closed listening to her footsteps go down the stairs and open the door. "Who is it?" he shouted. "Going on a holiday without me Vadhera?" Viraat opened his eyes and sat up to see his best friend lean lazily against the doorframe. "Ty."

Ty sat down next him and switched on the T.V. "So where you guys heading?" he asked flicking through channels. Maanvi entered the bedroom mouthing a 'tell him now'. He shook his head indicating a 'no freakin way' causing her to cross her arms. They continued to argue through gestures and their eyes. Ty looked away from the T.V and turned his attention to them. "Hey! I feel left out, what are you guys talking about?" Viraat broke eye contact and faced him. "We weren't talking." Ty rolled his eyes, "Yes you were. I can't believe you guys are that kind of couple. It's rude to speak through eyes when somebody, especially when that someone is me, is present in the room." "Ty, it's not.." Maanvi interrupted him, "Actually, Viraat has something to tell you." He glared at her, "No Ty, I don't." She huffed, "Fine, I was wrong. It's me; I have to tell you something. So the reason we're packing is because.." He stood up abruptly, "Hey it's my secret, why are you the one telling him?" She flicked her eyebrow up, "Oh, so now you want to tell him do you?" He bit his tongue, "Erm..yes." She tapped her foot, "Well, hurry up then." Ty looked back and forth between the crazy couple. He jumped up on the bed, "Hello, I'm still here. Do you want to tell me what's going on? Ooohh am I coming with you guys!!" "Shut up Ty!" they both shouted at the same time. "Actually, I changed my mind," Viraat said next. "You can't just change your mind," she replied frustrated. "Says who?" She groaned, "Okay, I guess I'll tell him then." "You can't, it's not allowed," he fought back. "Says who?" she replied sarcastically. "You wouldn't." She turned to face Ty, "Watch me. Ty Viraat has.." "I have cancer!" he finished. "Ha, I win," he said happily, unknown that a certain best friend stood frozen behind him. "Viraat," Ty said shakily. He turned to face him still smiling over his win, "Yeah?" An expressionless Ty just stared at him, "Cancer?" he asked in a low tone. The smile instantly wiped of his face. "I'll be outside," Maanvi whispered squeezing his arm. 

~~~

"Does grandpa know?" He nodded. Ty sat down on the bed.  "Shit Viraat. Shit, shit, shit. It's impossible, you're 22 years old, I mean, cancer, Leukaemia? You have your whole life left to live. What about your masters, your music, your dream?" He paused, "Why didn't you tell me?" he asked quietly. Viraat sat down next to him, "I didn't know how to," he replied. "You told Maanvi," he said plainly. "I didn't plan to." "So what, you were just planning to die?" "Yup." Ty scoffed, "Yeah like that's gonna happen. If you're leaving this earth, and trust me that's not till you're like 98 years old and you've gotten at least two convictions, had three affairs and have successfully helped me set the Mall on 5th ablaze.." Viraat cut in, "Still banned from there?" "You flirt with one security guard.." Viraat chucked slightly. "Anyway, when you do decide to pop the hole, then you're going to be doing it in damn style. No, oh I'm going to leave the world peacefully crap, it needs to freakin amazing." Ty's voice started breaking. "There is no sniff no way I'm going to sniff ever let you die a peace sniff peaceful death." Viraat playfully punched him. "Stop it, you're tearing me up. And I thought you said guys who cry are soft hearted wimps?" Ty held back a sob, "They are," he said finally breaking down. "Need a man hug?" Viraat asked. "I'm straight," he replied. They hugged anyway. 

~~~

Maanvi was stood outside the door and couldn't help but walk in and join in with the hug. After a couple of minutes of group hugging they all sat on the bed forming a miniature circle. She turned to Ty, "Three affairs?" she questioned. "Did I say three? I meant two," he replied. She slapped his knee feeling satisfied by his yelp. "You hit like a guy," he cried tending to his knee. "You scream like a girl," she countered back. "Back me up Vadhera," he said to her partner. "I would but honestly, you kinda sound like a.." "Don't say it!" Maanvi laughed at Tyler's childlike behaviour. She was thankful that he managed to bring Viraat out of his earlier grief and make him finally smile. She looked at the time, it was seven. "Right, we have to leave if we want to get there on time." She got off the bed and picked up the papers and his bag. "I take it you guys aren't going on holiday?" Ty asked. "Nope, we're going to St James' hospital. Still feel like coming?" Viraat replied. Ty took the bag off her hands and smiled, "Hell yeah. The nurses there are hawt!"

~~~

Maanvi looked at a pleading Viraat. "Please please please," he begged. She shook her head, "No way Chep." He pouted, "But all I want," "Nope." "Just this once," "Zip." "I have cancer?" "Haha, try the sympathy act with somebody else." He looked so sad that she badly wanted to give in, but she couldn't risk it, not when it came to him. She let out a deep breath. "Look, I know you want to drive but it's only been two days since you got your Biopsy and I don't want you to strain your back," she said softly. "I know you're worried but like you said, it's been two days. The bandages are off and I promise it doesn't even feel like I had three fat needles murder by back 48 hours ago. Scouts honour." He wasn't giving up. She tried to convince him but he stayed adamant. He held both her shoulders, "Please Sherni, I'm going to be away from her for four weeks. And that's the minimum! I just want one last drive. Please." She gave in, "Okay." "Okay?" he asked. She gave a final nod, "Okay." She smiled as he rushed to open the driver's door and eagerly take his seat. Ty came and stood next to her passing her the house keys. "I guess it's just one affair after all," he said. "Whaddya mean?" she asked. "Well he's just wasted one of his two affairs." She looked at him, still confused. He pointed towards the car, "Can't you see? He's already been having one affair with his car. If I was in your place, then girrrl I'd be like so jealous right now." He clicked his fingers and rolled his head acting like total bimbo. She burst out laughing.

~~~

All three arrived at the hospital and made their way towards the oncology ward where they were met by Dr Athena. There Viraat was told he had two options. One was to have a PICC line inserted in to one of his large veins in his arm, which would go through his chest so that the tip of the line just lies above his heart. The PICC line would come out near his elbow which meant that giving the drugs during sessions would be painless. Of course this meant having a very tiny operation of getting the line in place. Option two was to have the drugs injected which meant having to experience the constant pain of every damn needle each time.

"So Viraat, which one would you prefer?" Athena asked. He thought for a minute before answering, "PICC line, I'd rather have the pain for a while than having to have it every time." She smiled, "It's not going to be long and it should be painless after the anaesthetic. Dr McAdams will be inserting it in for you." He nodded. "Kayla, take him to his room." He followed the nurse smiling at Maanvi and Ty as he walked passed them.  He'll feel brave, soon enough.

~~~

Maanvi and Ty sat in Athena's cabin nodding in agreement and listening attentively to her instructions. "He will get cured right?" Ty asked. "Cured could mean different things for different people. What we should be focusing on right now is making sure he achieves remission ASAP. After you guys left we sat down and decided to give him four cycles of chemo consisting with a week of rest in between schedules. I'm not completely sure right now, but we are considering him for high dose treatment for phase two, but that all depends on how his body responds to phase one. Maanvi, I'm assuming you're going to be his carer?" Maanvi nodded. "Along with the changes cancer patients have to make, their family and carers also have to make a lot of changes too. This means taking care of care the littlest things like a change of clothes twice a day, coping with his side effects, taking time out from your schedule to fit in with his and also spending a lot of time in the hospital. By looking at your relationship with Viraat I know you'll stick by him no matter what but I'm still required to ask. Maanvi are you still prepared to be Viraat's full time carer during the course of his intensive treatment?"

She didn't need to be asked twice, "I made a promise to myself to keep him with me and if that means I have to make changes, then I'm prepared for it. I won't just be his carer through his intensive treatment; I'll be his carer even after he gets his EFS. I'm his partner and now I'm also his carer." She paused, "I just have one request." "What's that sweetie?" "Please make him better," she whispered. Athena held her hand, "When he's got someone like you, what's going to stop him? But I promise I will do everything in my capability, if not more to make sure I make your Viraat better." Maanvi looked in to the warm eyes of the blonde haired lady, for some reason she reminded her of her kindergarten teacher. She allowed herself to become a four year old again and smiled. "I believe you."

~~~

Viraat played with the blue and red lumens sticking out of his arm which were now a part of him. He looked up upon hearing the sound of the door opening and watched Ty and Maanvi make their way towards him. "Did it hurt?" Ty asked straight away taking a seat on the chair next to his bed. "Not really. Do you want to meet Ponzo and Pierre?" "Who?" He pointed at the red one, "Ponzo," and he pointed the blue one, "Pierre." Maanvi finished putting his bag away and sat down next to him. "You named them?" He nodded. She brushed his falling hairs gently, "You're such a kid." He gave her a goofy grin. "Being a kid has its perks. One is getting people to play with your hair." He lay down on to the bed putting his head on her lap and taking hold of hands, he placed it near his temples. "Will you look at that, it does," she said starting to make circular motions with her fingertips.

~~~

"Maanvi," she heard Ty whisper. "What?" she whispered back. "Do you want anything to eat?  I'm going to the canteen." She shook her head. "I'm getting you a coffee anyway," he replied leaving the room. Being as slow as humanly possible, she lifted his head off her lap and placed it on to the pillow. She next took hold of the bed sheet and covered his sleeping body kissing his forehead slightly. Kayla walked in and after setting up some drips near his bed, motioned Maanvi to come outside. "His x-ray came out fine and the line is perfectly in place. Athena decided it would be best to start the first cycle of chemo immediately so when he wakes up give me a shout. If he doesn't wake up in an hour then can you.." Maanvi understood and smiled, "Don't worry, I'll wake him up." 

And so it begins. The battle against cancer. His cancer. He was to fight the very same bas***ds inside his body which were solely made by him. Is it possible for all these remarkable liquids and these extraordinary pills to keep him from losing? Or is this just his final game, where ultimately he will come out the loser?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." 
- Winston Churchill

Thanks for comments, likes and reading. 
Take care, don't get ill, it sucks.

- Ava :)

Edited by SmileXD - 11 years ago
Syed695 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
First, i was waiting for the update...n it was superb..specially the treatment was explained in details n required...n loved it when maanvi n ty supported...u need support in worse times..n he had two people who he knew n loved...
liked every bits of the update...specilly where he named the tubes which is nw part of him...
glad to see maanvi all brave n her support...thanks for lovly update...!
shabsem thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Superb update. .explaind very nicely abt treatmnt. .n best part is manvi's brave nature to fight against cncer
shaimah thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
So beautifully written
Loved it
Continue soon and thanks for the pm!!
ShivRajput thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Ava dis was awesome... Was waiting for your update... loved it.. As usual love the way u explan things... Virat and Ty's friendship, Manvi's determination nd der battle with Cancer... Awesome... 👍🏼
afshanmk093 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Awee girl!
I found ur update emotional n cute at the same tyme
u managd to show each relation so beautifully i luvd the convo btw virat n Ty
n u didnt pm me i was waiting fr it! Next tyme plz do that
n hope u get well soon
hangok thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
as usual it was great :-D

love them more and more after reading this..
virat you are lucky to have manvi and a friend like ty in your live , they will help you to survive cancer...

oh it would be a dream when viren would know about this and would stand beside him as a big brother :-D

cant wait for ther reunite...
thanks for pm