Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

latekate thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
When i named my son Shashaank my SIL was not happy with it.
While growing up she had a neighbour by that name
though he had come from a very well educated family
this fellow was a total failure in studies so my SIL
did not want that name for her nephew

The whole story of Devaki some how reminds me of the plight of the Salem Witches. I actually feel sorry for Devaki
Kalyaani thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: latekate

When i named my son Shashaank my SIL was not happy with it.
While growing up she had a neighbour by that name
though he had come from a very well educated family
this fellow was a total failure in studies so my SIL
did not want that name for her nephew

The whole story of Devaki some how reminds me of the plight of the Salem Witches. I actually feel sorry for Devaki

We are talking names, so going to add my tale of woes here, with a name like Kalyaani it's sure not easy; especially in an engineering college and studying a discipline where the boys to girls ratio is 20:1. Kallu, Kalli (thief in Kannada at times a back handed endearment, coming from guys you can't stand, not nice at all) and how can I forget Kallu Mama. I have always liked my name but the four years in engineering college were irritating.

Shakespeare said "what's in a name?" and I say bloody hell there is everything in a name.

~Edit~ my uncle had suggested a few names and when I got to know of them, I sure wanted to kill him; glad my parents did not listen to him.

Edited by Kalyaani - 11 years ago
daljeet thumbnail
loved the update.hv been stalking ur page all thses days.morning aftr i enter IF,my first job is to stalk ur page.then thot u must be bsy as it is onam.

belated onashamsakal.😊

this update was a flashback n thanks for giving us a glimpse of unni.but then as usual im left skeptical n suspiciosu abt many things.
like how unni got initiated to drugs-mayb as he was a medical student.but then wat was the reason for him to use drugs,wich compeled him to do it.was it the dilapadated state of family or the huge responsiblity on him?

secondly his death,reason unkwn,not drugs but.wasnt it drugs?then wat was it?confusing.is the mystery abt illam true for the men then?but then their father is alive all throguh now?does he practise some black magic?

devaki,ofcourse the qtn here.im think she was just a bit different.n in those ages if a woman was different then they r ostracized by the society.i thot of shobana in agni sakshi reading devaki.but then kashi's mother's request i didnt understand the implication.
the revealation tht happened to all of them by the end of the update,i didnt follow.sorry,my mind is not tht strong to gauge such things.so can u explain????only tht plzzz?

so was kashi's father i mean did he too beleive in all this?laksmi n devaki,did he ostracize them too?y didnt he prefer b4 to see kashi dance,bz of simi bwn lakshmi?then y tht day he wanted to see?

most of the things went abv my head.im sorry.but i think reading it bit by bit is making it more confusing.once u reach an end im planning to read the whole thing together again.then mayb i may understand more!
Kishmish thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
 β­οΈ
Very intense update ... 

Kashi's brother Unni only being able to see the ghost of the girl who donated her eyes to him ... Her mother wanting to name her Devaki to remove the so called curse put on their family and home by Devaki ... that if they had named Kashi by that name then maybe the curse could have been reversed  ??? 
Kashi's father feels there is more attached to the dark past of the illam which is the cause of the state they are in at present ... 

"It's to erase the curse that we have to name her Devaki."  I didn't understand then the meaning of what she said.  I didn't give her permission either.  And thus we named you Kaveri.  And if that is not sacred enough, we also gave you the petname Kashi.
  (Now I know why she asked me what she did.) ... 

It had been an odd revelation from her father and it had put them into a reflective mood as they sat there together as a family ...

A month after that, they had brought his dead body home from the medical college.  There had been no drugs in his system.  Cause of death had been ruled unknown ... 

Kashi's brother had died under mysterious circumstances ... 
The mystery has only deepened ... Kashi a look alike of her great aunt whose ghost is seen around ... Pallavi loosing her fiance in an accident ... Kashi's faulty birth chart ...  Arnav coming to buy the property and being asked to stay for a week by the father ... 

waiting for lots more to be revealed by the master mind ... the actual Public Enemy  πŸ˜†   behind the Kalarikkal House ... 

Edited by Kishmish - 11 years ago
duncanelise thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The part about Devaki really gave me the heebie jeebies, I'm dying to know why kashi's mother wanted to name her after her..
And I'm so curious to know as to what happened to her brother.
That was one hell of an intriguing update... Can't wait for next!

citi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
What a chapter Devi.
One realizes that there is a downside too to all that history in one place...and that is too much history, too much of the past clouding the present and the future. To be a woman, to be different and not easily disciplined into social norms is such a curse and 150 years back the fall out would be truly dire. My heart goes out to that young 15 year old girl in a new place, with new people and being forced to submit to being something she is not. Hasn't it been the bane of such women to be branded witches. If Kashi had been named Devaki and allowed to be (as she has been) would it have lessened the burden of that time and actions of that age on the family? 
Unni saw Lakshmi and now Arnav has...what does this imply?
Such immense sadness they have had in their lives...Unni, Mr. Namboothiri, Pallavi and Kashi. Of these Unni seems to have succumbed under the weight when he could have been the one to free them all of it as he seems to have been the joy in the lives of the other three. 
Just wondering what would Arnav go through when he learns that their brother was the recipient of his sister's eyes.
D you are mesmerizing with the direction you are taking this in.
Edited by citi - 11 years ago
simi888 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
thank you for the update!

im bit confused as to how to explain how i felt reading the chapter - as always it was beautifully mysterious.

I found myself trying to piece bits together but have  to admit im at a bit of a loss, does arnav seeing the ghost mean a fate similar to kashi's brother? and what did the father mean by the name curse and what did he finally understand!

Im racking my poor brain but cant make any sense. Anyway, another intriguing piece of writing that just leaves us wishing for more!
bushrayou thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
oh god... oh god...

this is clearly not sitting well with me... I don't even know how to react to this.

to her.
to him...

:(
appy_12 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Unknown?? 

And he was the only one who could see Lakshmi, and now Arnav can too?? Hmm..

And Devaki's tale makes me sad. Very interesting update, which has somehow made me thoughtful and all quiet! :)
anuprika thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
first of all .onasamsakal.
appo inganem oru kadhendalle kalarikkal veedinu.hmmm..
pavam devaki
ini enthavuo entho.😊