DANCE CRITIQUE CORNER *not a gushing thread*

DrModel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
This is a thread to critique the technical aspects of dance. 

There may be members who have received formal dance training and are aware of the finer nuances of dance. Please feel free to offer your unbiased opinions here. 

Edited by shopaholicNY - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadNitrate thumbnail

Originally posted by: shopaholicNY

This is a thread to critique the technical aspects of dance. 

There may be members who have received formal dance training and are aware of the finer nuances of dance. Please feel free to offer your unbiased opinions here. 

good very good. Needed such a thread. There are lot's of members well trained and  well versed in different forms of dance and they can come and discuss the different aspects of dance and whether contestants are doing justice to that or not.

Note to everyone: Please do not turn this thread into a fight/ bash/ gush corner. This thread will discuss about dance and possible might criticize your favourite celeb.  If you feel the point of view of someone is wrong, feel free to refute them logically.
Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I am glad I found this thread because I have a huge grouse with the way Isha Shervani's performance was judged today. I found the performance predictable. My main issue was with her lack of expression and investment in what she was doing. I am not saying she was bad by any means, but I would not say "this is it." I expected a lot more from her, especially in her own forte.

Another big problem was that her timing was not at all precise enough which is hugely important for a slower number, because in a faster one timing slips can be covered with energy and enthusiasm. In a slower song, because it doesn't have a catchy beat, you really need your timing to be spot on and I found that lacking.  Let's not even get started on that drop by her partner, which certainly should have cost them much more than it did in terms of marks. If Jausuriya was judged, keeping in mind that he is not at all a dancer, I expected much harsher critique from the judges for a performance I found OKAY from a professional dancer, performing in a style she performs for a living. I have seen her perform live and I can say this is not her personal best either.

Until her performance, I was with the judges on pretty much everything (though I thought they were a little too generous to Jayasuriya but he is so cute that I can let it slide! 😆).
adigaag thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
My reviews till now...

This season is a must watch for sure...Best season till now after the first one...All the contestants are good...I'm thoroughly enjoying all the performances...I loved Bharti(full-on entertainer), Jayasuriya(unexpected but surprise package), Jayati(cuteness personified) a lot...kudos to them for being non-dancers and giving it their best shot.

Isha is a trained dancer, so that mistake was unexpected but I guess the nervousness made all the difference... It was the best performance till now👏.

Shivani and Gia were okay... Gurmeets performance was good his entry was super-duper,awesome...but he is stiff mainly his upper body and around his hip area...but u know what I have confidence this man will improve just like his acting he will surely go the distance...I'm so glad that they mentioned Ramayan😃...Just like how he was initially in Ramayan a bit iffy in his acting, his dance performance today was the same...His acting by the end of Ramayan was mindboggling and so will his performances be in JDJ...Shampa and alll the judges agree that he is stiff...thank god they have identified that...Best of luck Gurmeet 👍🏼...I will support u thru'out no matter what is the result😊
will edit later on

yipee thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
wow love this thread and thanks for this...I am a dancer so I wanted a thread where I can discuss about the "dancing" of the contestants ...

I missed jayasuriya's performance and am shocked he got 27 as I had been hearing he cant dance at all...but anyways will see how it was actually, the judges anyways seemed too liberal with the marks today...

I will post my comments after watching all the dances
LeadNitrate thumbnail
 I am sticking this thread for sure find
yipee, you posted a lot of videos in DID3 i think, for the different dance forms, would be nice if you can do it here too.
ViccoTurmeric thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I m shocked marks they sushil... I know he doesn't know dance but he doesn't deserve a 24... And dares heel could have got better
-scarlett- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Glad to find this thread, really wanted to make comments on a few of the dances from yesterday but wasn't able to...great idea :)
aanyakunat thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
i know nothing about the techniques of dancing... i either like what i see or i don't... but i would love to read the opinions of professional dancers in this forum...
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I was surprised at the marks Sushil and the cricket player (not a cricket fan...so don't remember his name) got...the judges should have been encouraging in their remarks, but not unnecessarily favorable in their score cards...they didn't do this for everyone else...so why these 2?