Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
Thanks Vrish!

If this is the version that is found in Vyasa's MB, then which version has that all the warriors killed Abhimanyu together? It can't be a story that one person has made up, because many shows and movies use this version of the story...is it from SB by any chance?

My question: What was the first vyuha in which Dronacharya arranged the army when he became commander-in-chief?
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I don't know this answer, and in any case, I'd like others to try it, so that it's interesting.  So for now at least, I'll pass.

To your question, I think a lot of people did a partial reading of the story, and then showed him getting killed by everyone who surrounded him.  BRC, for instance, showed Karna putting his sword thru him, and Shakuni then stabbing him, but that's not what happened.  I haven't seen how RS SK showed it - I tend to avoid Abhimanyu vadh scenes, since he's one of my favorite characters 😭  

I'm not aware on whether SB describes his killing - in fact, there is a great deal that SB misses about Krishna's Mahabharata activities.  As an example, the only place Satyaki is mentioned, IIRC, is the Yadava fratricide.  The Mahabharata describes in detail the relationship b/w Satyaki's grandfather Sini and Somadatta and how the former defeated the latter and prevented him from marrying Devaki.  But there is nothing in SB about it.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
I think SB is more about Krishna himself than Mahabharata, so it focuses more on Krishna's story during his early years and then in Dwaraka.

Oh, RSK's Abhimanyu death was the most gruesome one I ever saw by far!🤢 It did show all six warriors killing him at once, before Karna finished the deed in the end by driving a sword through him...or maybe it was Duryodhan, I don't remember, but there's this one telugu movie called Daana Veera Soora Karna that is Karna-centered, and it showed Karna killing him upon Duryodhan's orders. I guess people have their own perception of the death, or want to show it as gruesome as possible to show the Kauravas in a worse light.

But if Abhimanyu's death wasn't unjust and it was one warrior to on warrior as per war ethics, then why was Arjun so infuriated upon hearing it, and made a vow to destroy Jayadrath and all the Kauravas for their unethical fighting?
Vr15h thumbnail
Oh, it was unjust all right - first of all, Jayadrath cut off all his allies so that Abhimanyu was trapped alone in that vyuha.  And then, the way he was disarmed was completely against the rules.  Had Shrutakarna not killed him while he was unconscious, they may well have killed him the way it is shown.

Had the Pandavas and the rest of the forces accompanied Abhimanyu, he'd have been safe - warriors like Satyaki & Bhima would have seen to it.  Both of them saved Dhrishtadyumna from Drona and Ashwatthama umpteen number of times, so here too, they'd have prevented Abhimanyu from getting disarmed, much less killed.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Oh, it was unjust all right - first of all, Jayadrath cut off all his allies so that Abhimanyu was trapped alone in that vyuha.  And then, the way he was disarmed was completely against the rules.  Had Shrutakarna not killed him while he was unconscious, they may well have killed him the way it is shown.

Had the Pandavas and the rest of the forces accompanied Abhimanyu, he'd have been safe - warriors like Satyaki & Bhima would have seen to it.  Both of them saved Dhrishtadyumna from Drona and Ashwatthama umpteen number of times, so here too, they'd have prevented Abhimanyu from getting disarmed, much less killed.

Oh okay, so they did disarm him together...I guess serials and movies take it a notch higher and show them all killing him together. It's a deviation I don't mind actually, because even had they not killed him together, they pretty much made him incapable of defending himself, which is the same.🤬
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I'm not aware on whether SB describes his killing - in fact, there is a great deal that SB misses about Krishna's Mahabharata activities.  As an example, the only place Satyaki is mentioned, IIRC, is the Yadava fratricide.  The Mahabharata describes in detail the relationship b/w Satyaki's grandfather Sini and Somadatta and how the former defeated the latter and prevented him from marrying Devaki.  But there is nothing in SB about it.

In fact Srimad Bhagavatham skips the entire War, since it was written after Vyasa composed Mahabharata. SB records those incidents of Krishna's life which had not been covered in Mahabharata.  Same with Hari Vamsa.

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Thanks Vrish!

My question: What was the first vyuha in which Dronacharya arranged the army when he became commander-in-chief?

Since no one  has answered it till now, I will give it a try . Drona's first Vyuha was Sakata (cart formation)
wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
Aah...Chakra Vyuh ?

Awesome Thread !

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Hey guys,

Sorry for disappearing! There are so many threads on IF that I go to that I just forgot about this one.

Varaali, you could be right, but the MB book I follow says that Drona's first vyuha was the eagle formation. I don't know the sanskrit name for it.

Anyone else can ask the next clue.
Vr15h thumbnail
Okay, here's the next one...

In whose care did Yudhisthir leave both Parikshit and Vajra when the Pandavas decided to retire following the Yadava fratricide?