+* Prashnottaram -Quiz Time *+

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Here's a new thread to infuse some excitement into the forum. The purpose of initiating this thread is three fold-

1. The PH of  this serial seems to have abandoned the authentic stories of Krishna as narrated in our scriptures.
  2. There are hardly any participants left in the forum - thanks to (1) above.
  3. To have some fun and at the same time enhance our knowledge
Basically, this is a simple question - answer quiz game. Whoever answers correctly first, gets to set the next question. The questions should be primarily on Krishna / Dwapara Yuga ; we can however also include other mythological questions. 

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Ok here's the first question (very simple) - 

Who was the rishi who cursed Parikshit to die on the seventh day? 

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Shrungi.  Actually, the rishi on whom Parikshit put a dead snake was Shamika, and Shrungi, his son, cursed him for doing it.  Shamika was observing a vow of silence, which is why he couldn't answer Parikshit's request for directions.

Fantastic thread started, Varaali - I'm gluing it!  Debi, Shivang and others, please join in.
varaali thumbnail
Well done Vrish. Now it is your turn to ask the next question.
Vr15h thumbnail
From Parikshit to his father...

Contrary to popular belief, Abhimanyu was not killed by the warriors who jointly attacked him from different sides: he was killed by a single warrior in a mace duel.  Who was that warrior? (Extra points for getting his name)
varaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Shrungi.  Actually, the rishi on whom Parikshit put a dead snake was Shamika, and Shrungi, his son, cursed him for doing it.  Shamika was observing a vow of silence, which is why he couldn't answer Parikshit's request for directions.

Is it given anywhere that Rishi Shamik was observing a vow of silence? Because, it says in SB that when Shamik opened his eyes and heard about his son's curse, he scolded his son for his rash action. 

Fantastic thread started, Varaali - I'm gluing it!  Debi, Shivang and others, please join in.

Thank you. 

Vr15h thumbnail
I recall reading about this from an ACK Parikshit - would have to check on what MB actually says.    At any rate, Shamik had the conversation w/ his son after his vow of silence was completed.
varaali thumbnail
^^^^Oh I see. As usual, SB's account is slightly different.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Great thread Varaali! It's been awhile since I was back in this forum.

In answer to Vrish's question...was the warrior who killed Abhimanyu (after he was basically mutilated by all those other kauravas) Dushashan's son? I don't know his name, but it was either him or Lakshmankumar, Duryodhan's son, I think.
Vr15h thumbnail
LJR

Welcome here.  It was indeed Dushashan's son.  His name was Shrutakarna.

Actually, after Abhimanyu's other weapons and chariot were all destroyed, he picked up a mace that was lying around and fought Shrutakarna, and this was just a duel b/w them.  Both of them fell unconscious during the fight, but Shrutakarna was the first to recover.  He brought his mace down on Abhimanyu's head killing him b4 the latter could recover.

Lakshmana was killed by Abhimanyu earlier in battle, which was what enraged Duryodhan and got him to demand that Abhimanyu be killed no matter how.  Drona then came up w/ the idea of surrounding him and attacking.  Karna broke his bow from behind, Drona killed his charioteer Sumitra, and other warriors destroyed his chariot and his other weapons, like sword & shield.

After killing Lakshmana, the last warrior Abhimanyu killed was Brihadbala, the ruler of Ayodhya and descendent of Kush.

As for Shrutakarna, he was later killed by Bhima, but I'd have to find out which day he was slain.

Anyway, congratulations.  Next question is yours.