Baul- The Folk Music of Bengal - Page 8

Posted: 17 years ago

MARK S BAIDYA
USTAD WAJAHAT KHAN
The sarod maestro

'Successful fusion occurs only when the characteristics and the core values of the different backgrounds of music stay pure while fusing. The opposite of fusion is confusion and I think most fusion that is practiced now is confusion,' says sarod maestro Ustad Wajahat Khan in an interview with New Age's Mark S Baidya. A renowned sarod player, he has recently been channeling his talents into the fusion of Eastern and Western music

Sarod maestro Ustad Wajahat Khan Sahib's recent performances in Dhaka may have been only limited to that at the house of a close friend, but the impact he and his group of fusionists made was unquestionable. The prominent Sandip Banerjee accompanied the sarod genius on the Tabla that night, and together they left a lasting impression on the audience who could only marvel at their finesse and skill. It was an evening of Indian Classical music blended in with improvised Jazz scales and vocal melodies, which the Ustad sang. Typical of classical pieces, the scales stretched long with intricate variations but the duo never failed to capture the audiences' attention and respect. Frequent interactions made with the audience by the Ustad added to the warmth of the occasion and reflected on his charismatic nature. Ustad Wajahat Khan's visit to Dhaka served the dual purpose of being part of a campaign tour for his own academy, called Wajahat Khan's Academy of World Music, and satisfying his desire to perform in Dhaka, where he claims that audiences are fantastic. This time around he arrived with a team of musicians lead by Martin Keiting, Director of London Music College, which is in collaboration with Wajahat Khan's Academy of World Music. Prior to his arrival in Dhaka, Wajahat Khan had held similar campaign programmes in Bombay and Calcutta. The renowned sarod player was born into a family of musical geniuses, a dynasty that has shaped and influenced the style of North Indian instrumental music and is chiefly responsible for the evolution of the sitar and the creation of the surbahar. His great grandfather, Ustad Imdad Khan, born in 1858, was the leading surbahar and sitar player of his time. His son, Ustad Enayet Khan, was the one who made it popular all over India. Wajahat Khan's father, Ustad Imrat Khan, also bore the mark of a prodigy. It was under his father's guidance that Wajahat Khan started on the sarod at the age of 12. Interestingly, the Ustad started his musical life learning vocal music and his earliest performances were as a vocal artist when he was around seven or eight years old. He belongs to the eighth generation of this eminent musical dynasty and he is the first member to play the sarod instead of the sitar or the surbahar. He made his European debut in 1977 and now is established as an international artiste, touring extensively, and dividing his time and activities mainly between Kolkata and London. He is a man on the run and a man in heavy demand, not just as a musician but also as a teacher. He has performed in various countries, in Europe, in the USA, Canada, the former USSR, Hong Kong, Japan, South East Asia and of course, in numerous places all over the sub-continent. A performance at the Royal Albert Hall in 1989 has been described as the greatest musical festival in the world. If all the man's achievements, whether performances or media appearances, were to be listed it would be incredibly lengthy and somewhat inconvenient for the reader. Such is the man's presence in his field. As well as being a musician, he is also a composer and his diversity is reflected in his compositions for Western instruments as well as Indian. His works include those for several television and feature films including 'Majdhar', which is an award winning Channel 4 film. When not travelling, Wajahat Khan likes to practice for about 12 to 14 hours every day. The long hours have become a habit, and such is the discipline that has produced the fluency in playing ability. Through years of dedication, he has stumbled upon his own style of playing the sarod, blending in melodic syllables with musical rhythms. His innovative adaptation to the sophisticated four string technique of the surbahar to the sarod has added a new dimension to the instrument. Although he does love his raagas, the Ustad's musical interests also stray far from the quintessential Indian classical he is normally associated with. He is all up for 'fusing' different forms of music, but adheres to one point very fervently: 'Successful fusion occurs only when the characteristics and the core values of the different backgrounds of music stay pure while fusing.' He also likes to add, 'the opposite of fusion is confusion and I think most fusion that is practiced now is confusion'. While managing to keep the respective musical forms 'pure', he toured Europe performing fusion concerts that blended Jazz and Flamenco with Indian Classical. In 1997, he created the Wajahat Khan Indian Chamber Orchestra with all traditional instruments of Indian Classical music, in commemoration of 50 years of Indian Independence, to premiere his 'Garlaand of Tribute' with a memorable performance at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. Unfortunately, the Ustad's recent campaign in Dhaka did not go fully as planned. On the evening of August 30, a musical programme titled 'East meets West' was held at the British Council and it featured a fusion jam session between contemporary local fusion artistes along with the Ustad and the team from LMC. Even though the maestro himself was not able to attend due to illness, the programme proceeded as planned opening with the fusion group, which comprised the LMC team along Buno and Shantonu (from Bangla), Meiraj Husain and other musicians on the tabla and flute. 'I could not get much practice done in the last few days because I was sick', Wajahat Khan said at his only performance, 'so I spent all of last night practicing for this one. It was not all according to plan, but I wanted tonight to be something really special for those who had come to watch me.' The group performed four numbers, starting with a theme-based piece titled Desert Night and ending with a song written by Martin Keiting. During this performance the flutist of the fusion group presented the British team with a Nepali flute as a tribute to their efforts. Wajahat Khan's latest CD has just been released by Koch Classics and has been receiving great reviews in Europe. It is a unique collaboration of Indian and Western classical music in the form of a Quintet for sarod and a string Quartet. It is a reflection of the interest that the Ustad has in embracing other forms of music and blending them to create something that is entirely unique. He is currently playing with the Medici String Quartet, universally acclaimed as one of the world's greatest quartets. Ustad Wajahat Khan may be looked upon as an ambassador for change amongst the traditional norms in traditional music today. But is fusion music the next big thing, as our cultural borders become more permeable with the passing time? Perhaps it is inevitable; perhaps it is necessary to bring races and cultures together using music as the tool; for it is like creating a new being, a new song that reveals many different tones yet remains as one. One of the youngest internationally renowned Indian musicians, Wajahat Khan has already acquired a faithful and enthusiastic following. Look out for him in the future and be thrilled and surprised at the art of fusion.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Music's melting pot
by Mahfuz Sadique

Dipping into Dibyagyaan
   Shahaj manush,
   Bhojey dekh na re mon, dibbyogayney…

As Lalon's lullaby on the human spirit rendered by Anusheh's soulful alto drifts into the evening air from a shining red sports car's state-of-the-art Pioneer speakers, you can be forgiven if the thought crossed your mind: do they know what it means? The new folk-fusion revival draws its inspiration from multi-various influences. Today's Ujan, Bangla, Habib and Ajob all have roots in the long tradition of folk practice in Bangla music. Right through the Seventies, when the four Khalifas of Bangla rock-pop – Azam Khan, Firoz Shai, Ferdous Wahid and Fakir Alamgir – were transforming Bangla music forever, they all drew elements from our rich folk heritage. Be it the rural yearning in Fakir Alamgir's quintessentially urban Shakhina, or the spiritual in Sopondon's Iskool khuila che re moula, pop has always stolen liberally from the folk singer's custom.

And back to you, Lalon …
   The folk revival came into full force in the form of folk-fusion following the release of Bangla's Kingkortobobimur (or simply, 'Awestruck') in 2002. Out of the few groups working with lyrical fusion, Bangla practices and performs both traditional folk songs and also their own compositions. With the husky, soulful voice of Anusheh accompanied by the classical purity of Arnab's esraj, Shantonu's rhythmic beats, Buno and Kartik's smooth guitar playing, Bangla struck an unexplored chord in Dhaka's musical palette. Their songs were mostly by Lalon Shah, Durbin Shah, Amar Pal Baul and other folk legends. With the mysticism of life, the clemency of the supreme entity and common themes of love, death and hate as the underlying backdrop of the songs, Bangla created a fusion of western and eastern instruments and elements. The result was something completely new out of something old.
   Anusheh of Bangla points out that this is not exactly a resurgence of any sort, rather another logical step in the unfolding world music scene. Like the 70's was about following the Beatles, the eighties about Metallica, the 90's about Nirvana, the new age of globalisation is about taking your local music onto the world stage. 'Look at what Indians, especially those living abroad, have done. They have taken their traditional music and transformed it into the modern sound structure. You go to any club in London, Indian music is the rage. Whereas there are some Indian musicians who are trying to play western music directly and they have not gotten anywhere,' comments Anusheh. 'Also, with internet and satellite television, we are exposed to such quality music that for our industry to survive, we need to find new ways to present our music,' she adds.

The Second Coming
   Bangla takes its roots from Ujan, a group playing similar kind of music under the leadership of Harold Rashid, a musician passionate about folk and its revival. Buno, who is presently Bangla's bassist, started playing music with this group in 1997. He was deeply influenced by the lyrical and musical depth of Bangla folk music. In early 1998, Buno met Anusheh at a tea garden in Sylhet. And after some discussion, they expressed a mutual intention to create folk fusion. After a few months, back in Dhaka, Buno met up with Anusheh and her friend Arnab. In unison they all decided to perform music that was different from what was currently out there. They started brainstorming, and on the spur of the moment they recorded three songs. Even with the conviction that they should record a full-length album, the record companies they approached gave them a cold reception. The labels wanted strip them of their freedom to create music that was 'offtrack'. But their faith in their cause kept them from giving in.

Old Music in New Forms
   The concept of a folk revival is not new, having been attempted by every generation of music makers. A decade earlier Maqsood of Feedback fame had played a pivotal role in reviving folk through his band's Bauliana album. He started this journey to Bauliana in 1989 when his friend Shomnath Chaterjee from India made an offer to explore the Baul songs of Bengal. 'I will be frank. When I started out in music, it was more the physical, i.e. dance, that drew my attention. But as I have been delving deeper, I am discovering the "cerebral" side of music,' says Maqsood.

On the banks of Kajla Nadi
   Harold Rashid has practiced the Sylheti-folk initiative for nearly two decades now. His band Ujan, founded in 1986, has been diligently scouring Sylhet's villages and townships for unique folk tunes and lyrics. Having practiced music while being schooled in the UK, Harold returned to his father's homeland in 1981. With a fully Westernized mindset in music, Harold met Bidit Lal Dash. With Bidit's group Harold started venturing into what he refers to as his 'destined track' in music. Despite being a 'when-I-had-the-time-and-I-could' musician during the Nineties, since 2000 he has fully dedicated his time to the revival of Sylheti folk through Ujan. Their first album is expected soon.

Krishna's reincarnation – Techno style
   Bangladeshi audiences have been simultaneously experiencing a completely different style of folk revival. Habib Wahid, son of the legendary Ferdous Wahid, shot into the mainstream music scene with his breakaway hit album Krishna. The School of Audio Engineering in London taught Habib the technical wizardry needed to take traditional Sylheti folk music, and 'recreate' them into chart-smashing club tracks.
   'I believe music is my form of expression. I have taken ingredients from my country's rich oral tradition and transformed in into my own representation of music,' says Habib. Though his first album was completely techno remixes, Habib's second album has more pure folk elements and instrument usage. However, this only aided Maya in becoming another smash hit.

The urban bohemian
   While folk revivals were being jumpstarted every generation, the mid-nineties saw a the coming of a new urban bohemian music style which drew heavily from the 'jibondhormi gaan' of Sumon Chatterjee, Anjan Datta and Nochiketa of Kolkata. These were second-generation educated urban disaffected youth playing acoustic guitars, melding bohemian lyrics with elements from every day life. They were our new urban bauls.

Ektaar e Badha
   Faisal Siddiqui Bogey, the managing director of Ektaar Music, the recording label attributed with being at the forefront of the new folk revival trend, points out that 'Amongst all the traditional forms of music we have in this country, folk music is the most easily adaptable to the western sound structure.'
   'Folk music by definition is good music, because it has survived the test of time. So the lyrics are bound to be eternal. We at Ektaar were looking to record good music, not necessarily folk music. Folk just fit bill. However, with the emergence of folk-fusion, the bar on good music has been raised. Now, songwriters are being forced to write songs that can compete with music that has in some cases survived a 1000 years,' says Bogey

Till the bubble bursts?
   Someone who has been academically involved in researching Bauls, and also a keen observer of the folk revival scene, is Saymon Zakaria, manuscript editor of Bangla Academy's Folklore Department. He points out that the success of Bangla and Habib has to do with the way they have adapted folk music. 'Bangla's success depends on Anusheh's stylish usage of her classical training in rendering these folk songs. You must understand that "bhab" passes into you genetically and then transforms itself through your present reality. That is the only way you can make it work,' says Saymon.
   'What has happened is that we have returned to our Bengali melody base of singing more songs that are lyrically strong instead of sound-based music. We have this in our genes and every time you hear it you get goosebumps – this music belongs to us,' declares Saymon. Bogey adds, 'We have had a rich tradition that dates backs almost a thousand years. As opposed to that, the American music that we listen to dates back only a hundred years from the original blues sung by black musicians. This is far more time-tested music.'

Spread the love
   On the issue of whether these fusion renditions are destroying the true essence of folk music, Saymon has something very interesting to say. 'In my extensive visits, I have found that the Rajbangshis in Mulgram village under Pabna's Chatmohar thana practice Lalon's songs with their own musical arrangements. They use Lalon's lyrics, but feel that new compositions reflect their sensibilities,' says Saymon.
   It is true. If Lalon and the great Bauls of Bengal shared their music in the hope of illuminating the power of the human soul, then the current presentation of folk in our modern idiom is nothing more than an extension of this dibyogyan.
   This article was originally printed in the March 2005 issue of SLATE

Barnali di, I am still trying to find the translation from Bangla to English will spent some to time night see if I can leave up to promise to Bhaskar Da and Anol. Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago

Originally posted by Qwest

Barnali di, I am still trying to find the translation from Bangla to English will spent some to time night see if I can leave up to promise to Bhaskar Da and Anol.

Thanks a lot Qwest and Barnalidi. I had just once heart Purnadas Baul singing live. Liked the songs.

Qwest would wait for few translations.πŸ˜ƒ

Originally posted by Barnali

ok Adi tomaar shadher lao peyechhi πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Okay here are some boul songs. Adi you wanted to listen to them. So bumping it forward.

BTW Bobda you still have to post the english translation....

The Mystic Minstrels

Baul is not just one of the many things unique to Bengal. This wandering music cult has a special place in the history of world music. The word "Baul" has its etymological origin in the Sanskrit words "Vatula" (madcap), or "Vyakula" (restless) and used for someone who is "possessed" or "crazy". Originally, the Bauls were nonconformist, who rejected the traditional social norms to form a distinct sect that upheld music as their religion. "Baul" is also the name given to the genre of folk music developed by this creative cult. It's easy to identify a Baul singer from his uncut, often coiled hair, saffron robe (alkhalla), necklace of beads made of basil (tulsi) stems, and of course the single-stringed guitar (ektara). Music is their only source of sustenance: They live on whatever they are offered by villagers in return, and travel from place to place, as it were, on a vehicle of ecstasy. Music of the Heart!
Bauls croon from their hearts and pour out their feelings and emotions in their songs. But they never bother to write down their songs. Theirs is essentially an oral tradition, and it is said of Lalan Fakir (1774 -1890), the greatest of all Bauls, that he continued to compose and sing songs for decades without ever stopping to correct them or put them on paper. It was only after his death that people thought of collecting and compiling his rich repertoire. Baul Themes
The theme that Bauls deal with in their lyrics is mostly philosophical in the form of allegories on the state of disconnect between the earthly soul and the spiritual world. Often they philosophize on love and the many-splendoured bonds of the heart, subtly revealing the mystery of life, the laws of nature, the decree of destiny and the ultimate union with the divine. A Musical Community
Bauls live like a community, and their main occupation is the propagation of Baul music. But they are the most non-communal of all communities: They have no religion, for they only believe in the religion of music, brotherhood and peace. Predominantly a Hindu movement, the Baul philosophy weaves together different Islamic and Buddhist strains as well. Baul Gadgets
Bauls use a variety of indigenous musical instruments to embellish their compositions. The "ektara", a one-stringed drone instrument, is the common instrument of a Baul singer. It is the carved from the epicarp of a gourd, and made of bamboo and goatskin. Other commonly used musical paraphernalia include "dotara", a multi-stringed instrument made of the wood of a jackfruit or neem tree; "dugi", a small hand-held earthen drum; leather instruments like "dhol", "khol" and "goba"; chime tools like "ghungur", "nupur"; small cymbals called "kartal" and "mandira", and the bamboo flute. Baul Country
Originally, the district of Birbhum in West Bengal was the seat of all Baul activity. Later the Baul domain stretched to Tripura in the north, Bangladesh in the east, parts of Bihar and Orissa in the west and south respectively. In Bangladesh, the districts of Chittagong, Sylhet, Mymensingh and Tangyl are famous for Bauls. Bauls from far off places come to participate in the Kenduli Mela and the Pous Mela - the two most important fairs held in West Bengal for Baul music. It's hard to think of Bengali culture sans the Bauls. They're not only an intrinsic part of Bengal's music, they're in the mud and air of this land, they're in the mind and blood of it's people. The spirit of the Bauls is the spirit of Bengal - ever-flowing in its society and culture, literature and art, religion and spirituality.

Tagore & the Baul Tradition
Bengal's greatest poet the Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore wrote about the Bauls: "One day I chanced to hear a song from a beggar belonging to the Baul sect of Bengal...What struck me in this simple song was a religious expression that was neither grossly concrete, full of crude details, nor metaphysical in its rarefied transcendentalism. At the same time it was alive with an emotional sincerity, it spoke of an intense yearning of the heart for the divine, which is in man and not in the temple or scriptures, in images or symbols... I sought to understand them through their songs, which is their only form of worship."

The Baul Influence
Who can't trace the influence of Baul songs in Tagore's Rabindra Sangeet? The mystical nature of Tagore's lyrics is also a product of his affinity to these wandering bards. Edward Dimock Jr. in his The Place of the Hidden Moon (1966) writes: "Rabindranath Tagore put the Bauls on a higher-than-respectable level by his praise of the beauty of their songs and spirit, and by his frank and proud acknowledgement of his own poetic debt to them." The Baul pattern also inspired many other successful poets, playwrights and songwriters of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Eternal Entertainers
Bauls are bards, composers, musicians, dancers and actors all rolled into one, and their mission is to entertain. Through their songs, pauses, gestures, and postures, these nomadic mendicants spread the message of love and ecstasy to lands far and wide.

From Subhamoy Das

Baul Bishwa

These words mean the world of Bauls. A concert given by the group Baul Bishwa is an invitation to discover this world. The group was named by Bapi Das Baul who above all wishes to share his culture and music with others. Bapi is the representative of the eighth generation of the most talented and famous Baul family in India, his cultural roots are very important to him. Since his infancy he has been taught by his father Purna Das Baul to sing, play instruments and to practice Baul meditation.

Bapi has brought about an evolution of Baul music, working mainly on the rhythm and a new way of singing, although on stage he continues to use only traditional instruments: usually several percussionists, a flutist and a Dotara (kind of mandolin) player. The musicians are all united by this madness (in the sense of inspiration) that is characteristic of Baul mystics. They don't only play their instruments, but also sing and dance. Their ability to improvise is equaled only by their love of this music, that give them energy and happiness, communicated between themselves and to the audience. The women dancer brings grace and lightness in wild duets with Bapi. It is there that we reach the most intense moments of pure joy that occur during the traditional major Baul assemblies in India : the Mela.

Bapi is very keen to be on stage with his mother: Manju Das, the famous folk singer and his father Purna Das Baul who is the most well known and respected Baul in India. He received the title of Baul Samrat the Emperor of Bauls, from the President Rajendra Prasad in 1967. His father Nabani Das Baul was a famous yogi who composed a lot of music for Rabindranath Tagore's poems and who wrote many songs. It is because of him that Tagore became so deeply interested in the Baul movement.

The beauty and the emotion of Purna Das Baul's voice rapidly gave him popularity. Above all, he was the first Baul to tour abroad. He too made his music evolve by developing new vocal techniques. He has written and composed numerous songs and recorded many albums in India, but also in the USA, in Europe and in Japan. A film has been made on his life story. In India he is considered as a star.

As Purna did before him Bapi doesn't hesitate to join other groups. His irresistible rhythm and traditional instruments have attracted the interest of groups such as Zapmama (for whom he composed and recorded the song India on the CD Sabsylma) Joseph Archer, Fun-da-mental, Eat Static, Transglobal Underground (with whom he composed and recorded the song Body Machine on th CD Rejoice rejoice) and Natacha Atlas. One of his composition is part of the soundtrack of Tony Gatliff's film: Mondo. He created a new group Senses fusion with his traditional music and electronic sounds, played on acoustic instruments by musicians coming from any part of the world.

In India also Baul Bishwa is much appreciated by the public who recognize in Bapi a new generation, proud to perpetuate this living tradition. You will be enchanted to discover to what extent traditional Indian music is joyful and make you feel to dance

Bobda is the picture above of Purna Das baul??? πŸ˜•

I have seen him and his pictures too. But they are recent ones. This seem to be an old picture.

Originally posted by Bhaskar.T

Okay here are some boul songs. Adi you wanted to listen to them. So bumping it forward.

BTW Bobda you still have to post the english translation....

Thanks...like the shadher lau song a lot..wasn't it this thread where we discussed lau in detail and then Barnalidi and anolda went and bought lau to eat...πŸ˜†..the song is too good...

Originally posted by adi_0112

Thanks...like the shadher lau song a lot..wasn't it this thread where we discussed lau in detail and then Barnalidi and anolda went and bought lau to eat...πŸ˜†..the song is too good...

Yes I still need to do that. How do you like the