ADIEU - Departed Artists of RS Ramayan

Maitrimanthan thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

This thread is dedicated to the departed artists of the Ramanand Sagar's tele-epic, Ramayan.

Bharat Bhushan, Indian cinema's poet, saint and romantic hero, who played Tulsidas ji passed away on January 27, 1992. He was 72. Having been in the film industry for over five decades, he had seen it all - fame, failure and frustration. He died in poverty and distress. It is said that he virtually died in an auto rickshaw while pleading to be taken to a hospital, a stranger recognized him and did the needful.

Sanjay Jog
, who played the inimitable Bharat passed away on November 27, 1995 due to liver failure. He was 40. A prominent name in the Marathi Films and Theater, Sanjay Jog enacted in Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati films. An actor class apart he impressed his viewers with is brilliant acting skills.

Urmila Bhatt, who played Sita Maa's mother, Maharani Sunaina was found murdered at her Juhu residence on February 22, 1997. She was 62. She was a prominent character artist in films and has films like - Geet Gata Chal, Akhiyon Ke Jharokon Se, etc to her credit. Unfortunately, never heard about the guilty being caught.

Lalita Pawar, who played Manthara like no one else has or will ever be able to play, died alone and unnoticed at her Pune residence on February 24, 1998. Her body was found two days later. She was 82. Starting at the age of 12 in the silent era, she had the longest innings from 1928 to 1998. At the age of 25 she was forced to move to character roles when an accident permanently damaged a nerve near her left eye but being a fighter she made this short coming her asset. 

Ramanand Sagar, the man who captivated India with his televised version of the epic Ramayana died of old age on December 12, 2005. He was 87. An accomplished writer, a class apart film maker, his contribution to cinema is immense.

Vijay Arora, who played Indrajit / Meghnad with great conviction passed away on February 2, 2007. He was suffering from an intestinal ailment and passed away due to complications arising out of it. He was 62. The veteran actor has over 100 films to his credit. He was also an accomplished cinematographer.

Jayshree Gadkar, who played Mata Kaushalya with so much love passed away on August 29, 2008 following a brief illness. She was 66. Starting as a group dancer in V Shantaram's 'Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje' in 1955, she ruled the Marathi film industry in the 1960s.

Rajnibala, who played Mata Sumitra to perfection passed away unnoticed late last year or early this year (date is not confirmed) due to brain haemorrhage. She was 57. Though born in a Punjabi household she made a name for herself in Gujarati films. She had given up acting for the past 3 years. Not many from the industry were aware of her passing.

* As suggested by Lola creating this new thread.

Edited by Maitrimanthan - 12 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Maitrimanthan

This thread is dedicated to the departed artists of the Ramanand Sagar's tele-epic, Ramayan.

Sanjay Jog, who played the inimitable Bharat passed away on November 27, 1995 due to liver failure. He was 40. A prominent name in the Marathi Films and Theater, Sanjay Jog enacted in Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati films. An actor class apart he impressed his viewers with is brilliant acting skills.

Urmila Bhatt, who played Sita Maa's mother, Maharani Sunaina was found murdered at her Juhu residence on February 22, 1997. She was 62. She was a prominent character artist in films and has films like - Geet Gata Chal, Akhiyon Ke Jharokon Se, etc to her credit. Unfortunately, never heard about the guilty being caught.

Lalita Pawar, who played Manthara like no one else has or will ever be able to play, died alone and unnoticed at her Pune residence on February 24, 1988. Her body was found two days later. She was 82. Starting at the age of 12 in the silent era, she had the longest innings from 1928 to 1998. At the age of 25 she was forced to move to character roles when an accident permanently damaged a nerve near her left eye but being a fighter she made this short coming her asset. 

Ramanand Sagar, the man who captivated India with his televised version of the epic Ramayana died of old age on December 12, 2005. He was 87. An accomplished writer, a class apart film maker, his contribution to cinema is immense.

Vijay Arora, who played Indrajit / Meghnad with great conviction passed away on February 2, 2007. He was suffering from an intestinal ailment and passed away due to complications arising out of it. He was 62. The veteran actor has over 100 films to his credit. He was also an accomplished cinematographer.

Jayshree Gadkar, who played Mata Kaushalya with so much love passed away on August 29, 2008 following a brief illness. She was 66. Starting as a group dancer in V Shantaram's 'Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje' in 1955, she ruled the Marathi film industry in the 1960s.

Rajnibala, who played Mata Sumitra to perfection passed away unnoticed late last year or early this year (date is not confirmed) due to brain haemorrhage. She was 57. Though born in a Punjabi household she made a name for herself in Gujarati films. She had given up acting for the past 3 years. Not many from the industry were aware of her passing.

* As suggested by Lola creating this new thread.

Thank you for sharing about Urmila and Rajnibala I did not know..I do know that Bharat Bhushan (who played tulsidasji in RS ramayan) also passed away but I dont know the exact date.
Maitrimanthan thumbnail
I missed writing about Bharat Bhushan ji, added details in the first post.
Aradhana87 thumbnail

I missed writing about Bharat Bhushan ji, added details in the first post.

Thank you very much😳
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for sharing about all of them.  All of the deaths were tragic, if inevitable, but I found Urmila Bhatt's shocking in that she was murdered.

I never heard of Tulsidas-ji appearing in RSR.  Which episode was it, and where?
desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Bharat bhushan was in rs ramayan??!! ommggg..i love himm! so sad to see they've all passed, may they rest in peace
Maitrimanthan thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I never heard of Tulsidas-ji appearing in RSR.  Which episode was it, and where?

It was a very small part. You can see him sing "Hari Anant Hari Katha Ananta" when everyone is celebrating after Shri Ram's Rajyabhishek,
Edited by Maitrimanthan - 12 years ago
Aradhana87 thumbnail

It was a very small part. You can see him sing "Hari Anant Hari Katha Ananta" when everyone is celebrating after Shri Ram's Rajyabhishek,

Yes and in the beginning of Ramayan where Ashok Kumar and RS talk, between those talks you see 1 or 2 scenes of him "writing"Shri Ram Charit Manas😊
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for sharing

They were all admirable characters

God bless their soul

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Yes. I didn't know about Rajnibala and JaiShri Ghadkar recent incidents. Regarding others, I read the headlines of most of them in news papers or knew about others through talks. In case of Urmila Bhatt murder, the news were that her head was separated from the body by the murderer. I am not sure as it happened many years ago but this shocking news is there somehow in my memory. 

Here is the video of Tulsidasji as replied by others. Bharat Bhushan (Father of Aparajita playing Mandodari) right after 1:30 minutes into it  and 7:15 (Bengali) and 0:50 and 7:05 (Hindi - 2nd link).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozblRd8FU4

And the Ramdarbar song ending (3:50):

@Maitrimanthan

Lalita Pawar's will come first in the order I think as you have intended to write them all in chronological order I guess. Just in case you want to arrange them in order nothing else.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago