Posted: 13 years ago
Master Chef Bollywood
JITESH PILLAAI, Mumbai Mirror | May 1, 2011, 10.53am IST

Jitesh Pillaai takes you into star kitchens and gives you a helping of filmy taste

I have been stuffed like a turkey at some star homes. And in some others I have waited for hours with just a glass of water for company.

But mostly, our stars have large hearts when it comes to food. Here's a look at what's on their menu on a good day. And why it so seems like them.

Kareena Kapoor

Size zero and foodie, Kareena Kapoor is a paradox. She must have been Chinese in her last birth. That's how much she loves the cuisine.

From the early days at the now defunct Holiday Inn's Sampan to Lands End's Golden Dragon, catching up over the most heavenly stuffed wonton, noodles and Shanghai chicken.

In between her pet had turned PETA - she had become shakhahaari. But whenever you plan to meet Bebo, the first thing she asks is "What should I order to eat?" She is a true lover of the good life and good food.

Recently, I gorged on the fish curry at her place. It was too good to be true. We've shared too many heartbreaks and happy foodie moments together. Swimming in the masala and enjoying it.

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan

Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan can stuff you till you burst. She's fed me amazing homemade chicken.

In the past, her mum Vrinda, on whose list of favourite words, 'journalist' does not appear, always ensured I ate well.

Everything, from paneer to exotic chocolates. I have never left their home hungry. Ash personally sees to that.

So much warmth and oven-hot stuff from someone that people dispassionately refer to as Ice Maiden. Now, if only her interviews were as hot and masaledaar

Tabu

Tabu can serve you masala dosa and khichdi. Her dining style is inimitable - in the exotic Ishtaa in Hyderabad to little eating joints in Chennai.

She took a two-day baking class once and made sandesh from scratch for me.

It seeped into my taste buds like the effect of her performances. Her mom makes the best kheer I've ever had.

Tabu cooks, speaks and performs from the heart, and it shows.

Preity Zinta

You can be sitting in Preity Zinta's van on the sets of a film or at an exotic eatery but Preity Zinta will feed you till your stomach pleads for rest.

Her appetite for life seems as strong as your appetite for what she feeds you.

From our first date years ago at Pop Pourri over pasta and celery soup to our most recent gupshup at the Pali Village Caf over exotic cheeses, little plates of grilled vegetables with divine butter and ravioli.

Maturing palates, same zest. Yet, I prefer her mom's butter chicken and kaali daal, which are to die for.

Shabana Azmi

Shabana Azmi's shahi kebabs can make you salivate.

Just the thought of those luscious grills and the best Hyderabadi cuisine in the world pulls me to her place.

And Javed Akhtar is the world's best raconteur.

It adds to the experience. Poetry was never this tasty, acting never this spicy.

Asha Bhonsle

Say 'ma ka haath ka khaana' and the mother called Asha Bhonsle comes out of the kitchen.

Her Kolhapuri mutton and chicken pasanda are worth waiting for.

She knows the exact condiments, will personally add the masala to the fish while humming Sapna mera, toot gaya. Now I know why they say music is the food of love.

Manish Malhotra 

From designer chef Manish Malhotra, comes haute food. Not a fork out of place.

If it's a South Indian friend's birthday, the food will be served on plantain leaves.

The dahi bhalla will have the currently designed chutney.

Presenting the fall - oops - food collection. And it's a runway hit.

Shah Rukh Khan 

SRK's the man who gives you some food for thought. I remember the first time he offered me food and I declined politely. And he said, in half-amusement, half-exasperation, "Yeh mera namak nahi khaata".

SRK won't eat but his Man Friday, Subhash, ensures that you do. Chicken biryani and tandoori chicken; Pepsi flows like water.

And endless cups of unit tea. For all his emperor shenanigans, SRK is not a foodie at all. He hates sweets. Functional and tasty food, tender and loaded inside.

Karan Johar 

Karan Johar is the director of blockbuster khaana.

A huge tray arrives with everything edible under the sun in it - cheesecake, tuk tuk, caviar, Sindhi kadi, pasta, fish, mutton, aloo chat.

Name it and it's there. Like his very own culinary K3G.

Ranbir Kapoor 

Ranbir Kapoor is the mix of the Kapoor khandaan gene and health food.

Mango slices with ice cream, pastas, salads - at RK's, you are as good as your last gastronomic extravaganza.

I have also heard of the open house that Salman Khan keeps. 

The legendary door is always open and anyone can walk in and enjoy food. I have heard paeans about the akuri sandwiches in Anil Kapoor's house.

Recently, he treated my colleagues to some heavenly sponge cake.

Vidya Balan has promised her amma ke haath ka Tam Brahm khaana and a date is due at Genelia D'Souza's for some long pending fish curry rice.

More on them after I get a daavat.

- Jitesh Pillaai is the editor of Filmfare magazine

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Master-Chef-Bollywood/articleshow/8132730.cms

Edited by mogliF21 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_notinuse_ thumbnail
🤣 🤣 Seems to me this journo never has to go home to eat; he feeds off at star's homes.

what! Mango slices with ice cream? ðŸ˜†

that's the only cool thing served on the article. 😛

Edited by mogliF21 - 13 years ago
_notinuse_ thumbnail
it does give a little bit of glimpse into BW
MeghaSRKLover thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

the way he wrote this article...

now i feel like feeding him too 😆

toast with butter or boiled food, im an expert at that 😛
qwww thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mogliF21

what! Mango slices with ice cream? ðŸ˜†

That is the best on a hot summer day  - CHopped up ripe mango and Vanilla ice cream  - yum yum yum😊