Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Omi Vaidya: long distance marriage is a difficult

Dilwali89 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/features/2011/omi-vaidya-long-distance-marriage-difficult-260111-aid0097.html

Living out of suitcases may be fun for while. But it's taking its toll on Omi Vaidya's long-distance marriage. With his wife in the US and Omi shooting in Mumbai, the actor desperately keeps looking for time to spend with his wife.

Buzz up!
Apparently, there is now a conflict of interests between Omi and his wife with Omi leaning more and more towards relocating to Mumbai. It's not easy being in a long-distance marriage even if you're enjoying huge stardom in one corner of the world. US-born Indian actor Omi who discovered unexpected stardom in Bollywood with 3 Idiots is now on to his second, third and fourth films - Madhur Bhandarkar's Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji, Abbas-Mustan's Players and now Rohit Dhawan's Desi Boyz.

Understandably he spends a lot of time in Mumbai now while his wife Minal continues to study and research in the US. Omi says it isn't an easy situation. "You need a lot of trust, love and confidence to keep a long-distance relationship going. Luckily we live in an era of instant communication. My wife is just a click or a beep away from me."

Omi's wife must continue to live in the LA for at least the next two years until she completes here PhD on public health. Says the actor, "We try to stay connected constantly. Even when she's working and I am shooting, I keep the computer on so that I can see and feel her presence as she goes about her work. When we do meet, we make sure we use the time together as best as we can."

For Christmas, Omi took his wife to Jamaica. "Just the two of us, no one else. It was fun. There was no one there to recognize me. The trick is to enjoy the time together." As the assignments in Mumbai multiply, Omi's NRI status will gradually dissolve. Says the actor. "As a child I used to visit Mumbai every summer. I was seen as this weird Marathi kid with an American accent. Now I'm this weird Marathi grownup guy in Bollywood with an American accent."

More than his Hindi, Omi has been working on his Marathi for the sake of his own roots, as well as for Bhandarkar's film. "I play this Marathi guy. So I had to brush up my mother tongue. I am a Marathi. But if you ask me where I belong, I can't really answer that. I was born and brought up in LA. I am shooting Hindifilms. But they don't keep me stationed in Mumbai. For Abbas-Mustan's Players, I leave for New Zealand next week. So I am pretty much a global citizen. A soothsayer had predicted I'd be living out of suitcases. It's now come true."

Home in Mumbai is Omi's grandfather's place. "The furniture architecture and ambience are so old-world, I feel I am back in the 1980s." Omi is delighted at the way his career is going. "I always wanted to be an actor. Ever since I remember, I've been acting. Now all these roles are coming way although I don't fit into the conventional hero's mould. Maybe because the unconventional has become the convention in Hindi films now."

Omi doesn't want to get repetitive with his roles. "I am not interested in the conventional part. I want to do roles that allow me to experiment. That's why I took on Desi Boyz."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dilwali89 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Omi with his wife Minal Patel

his wikipedia page

Omi Vaidya

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omi Vaidya

Omi Vaidya while promoting Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji
BornOmi Vaidya
January 10, 1982 (age 29)
United StatesYucca Valley, California,United States
OccupationActor, Director, Editor, Writer,Television presenter
Years active2003 – present
SpouseMinal Patel[1]

Omi Vaidya (Konkani: ??? ?????) is an Indian American Actor who is best known for his performance as Chatur Ramalingam or "The Silencer" in the 2009Bollywood film, 3 Idiots.[2] In addition, Vaidya has directed two short films and worked as an editor on others. He has also appeared in a number of television programs and commercials.[3]

Contents

[hide]
  • 1 Background
  • 2 Personal life
  • 3 Career
    • 3.1 3 Idiots
  • 4 Awards
  • 5 Selected filmography
    • 5.1 Actor
    • 5.2 Director
    • 5.3 Editor
    • 5.4 TV host
  • 6 References
  • 7 External links

[edit]Background

Vaidya was raised in Joshua Tree in Yucca Valley, California.[4] He graduated from the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts and later attended theUniversity of California, Santa Cruz for two years. He next transferred to the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University and graduated with honors.[2]

Vaidya commented on his background in a recent interview:

I live in Los Angeles, USA. That's where I grew up, but every year we used to come to India. My native place in India is Goa and I also did visit Mumbai quite often during my growing up days. I started acting when I was about six in Marathi mandal nataks and some English plays in the US. I learned more about acting in high school and that's when I became really serious about films as a career. I went to NYU film school and learned the ropes of filmmaking, editing, acting etc. I learned the technical language used on the sets. After graduating in honors from NYU, I went back to Los Angeles and began auditioning for roles in T.V. serials and films.[5]

[edit]Personal life

Vaidya married Minal Patel on August 22, 2009.

[edit]Career

After college, Vaidya began to work with an agent and received small roles in television programs, and commercials. After receiving a small role in Arrested Development, he was also asked to audition for the role of Sadiq for The Office (U.S. TV series) by the same casting director. He portrayed Sadiq in two episodes, E-mail Surveillance and Fun Run.

[edit]3 Idiots

Vaidya's most notable performance is in a supporting role in the 2009 Bollywood film, 3 Idiots as Chatur Ramalingam (or "The Silencer"). He received strong reviews for his performance.[6][7] Vaidya auditioned for the role of Chatur while on a trip to Mumbai. After passing the first audition, he was asked during the second to read dialogue from Lage Raho Munna Bhai. Vaidya states that he "just rattled it off without exactly understanding the words ... almost like the speech scene in [3 Idiots]." After being hired for the part of Chatur, he was told not to study Hindi, not to watch Hindi films, and to gain weight. Of his success in the film, Vaidya credits the atmosphere of the cast and crew stating that in Mumbai there is "a personal touch, unlike Hollywood. Even if they don't pay you by the hour and there is no extra time, there is warmth and care. I basically saw my Bollywood innings as a challenge. A lot of credit also goes to Raju and Abhijat Joshi for the way the character came across on screen."[2] He was also discouraged from providing interviews prior to the film's release. Vaidya states: "Before the film released, I asked director Rajkumar Hirani if I could give a couple of interviews. He stopped me saying nobody knew me and I should wait till the film is released. My role was a surprise they had planned for the audience."[8] Vaidya later recalled that, "When I was at the premiere of 3 Idiots, no one recognized me. I was a bit depressed but when it got over, it was difficult for me to even get out of the theater. I have been enamored by the love and appreciation I have received from the audience [...] Today, when I go out on streets, people come and shake hands with me… It feels nice."[9]

[edit]Awards

2010 Star Screen Awards

• Won: Star Screen Award for Best Comedian - 3 Idiots
  • Won: Star Screen Award for Most Promising Newcomer – Male - 3 Idiots[10]

[edit]Selected filmography

[edit]Actor

• 3 Idiots Remake (2011)
  • Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa Hindi Remake (2011)
  • Players (2011)
  • Dil Toh Bachcha Hai Ji (2010/11)
  • 3 Idiots as Chatur Ramalingam aka "The Silencer" (2009)
  • Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight as Fish (2009)
  • Kath and Kim as Prakash (2009)
  • Life (TV series) as Vairam (2008)
  • Bones (TV series) as Hamid Hirani (2008)
  • Rolling (2007 film) as Assar
  • The Office (U.S. TV series): "E-mail Surveillance" and "Fun Run" as Sadiq (2005–2007)
  • Arrested Development: "The Immaculate Election" as Rav Nadir (2005)

[edit]Director

• "The Desert Rose" (2007)
  • "Out of Time" (2003)

[edit]Editor

• Cold Cabin (2010)
  • Blind Ambition (2008)
  • "Remember the Days" (2007)
  • The Gold Bracelet (2006)
  • Bloodshed (2005)
  • Delusion (2004)
  • "Out of Time" (2003)

[edit]TV host

Chhote Ustaad on STAR Plus

[edit]References

anku- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Aww. he's sweet and fun. Good luck to him for his career and relationship. Long distance is def. hard. But it does make the relationship more strong if you can pass the time.
I heart Omi.. he's such a sweetu.. Lemme go watch 3I again..😍
Prabhkallu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Aww... Loves his performance in 3idoits..

Thanks for sharing.
Connie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I really like this guy....just watching his interviews makes me laugh. He doesn't even need to try too hard he is naturally funny.