Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
'Hotseat'-SUPRIYA SHUKLA

Monday, 27 December 2010 09:40
Written by Kartikey Aggarwal
1 Comments
Supriya Shukla

Supriya Shukla

Recently in New Delhi for her school reunion function, who also originally belongs with saadi Dilli, the noted actor of Parineeta, Lage Raho Munnabhai and daily soap ' Tere Liye, SUPRIYA SHUKLA, got candid with KARTIKEY AGGARWAL about her roles, debut, family, aspirations and more. Excerpts from the interview:

When did you settle in Mumbai, when you got your first break? How did it

come to you?

I got married and shifted to Mumbai for more than a decade now, but my first break actually happened in Delhi itself. I was in school (Gyan Bharti School, Saket), in class 9th when I had done a serial on DD Metro, and interestingly my dramatics teacher was also a co-writer to it, so I was chosen from school as I used to do lead roles in dramatics.

My talent got more shape and picture when I got admission in LSR [Lady Sri Ram College]. This is around 1993-94, when we used to compete against colleges at various fests, and LSR used to have many renowned persons as Guests, I started getting offers to anchor their projects and as speaker in their telefilms.

It was given to me
and came just like a jerk.
(Laughs)

Around the time I got married, I had a friend who used to work with Pradeep Sarkar in Delhi, and I started working in commercials with him. When dada [Pradeep Sarkar] shifted to Mumbai, he was planning a feature film. By that time I was expecting my 2nd baby and I gained a lot of weight, and this is then when he surprised me by telling not to lose weight as I was to play a role in Parineeta. And the rest is history!

Your role as bubbly Bhabhi from Parineeta is well remembered. What is the role that is closest to your heart?

After Parineeta, I got a bonanza of roles. I did Raju Hirani's 'Lage Raho'',  Rituparna Ghosh's Sunglass and so on, Do Dooni Char being the latest one. However, as you say, the first baby is always closest to the heart, so Parineeta would always have that special place with me. It was a first complete feature film for me.

You moved from films to televisions. How far was it planned? And what are the current roles that you are playing.

It just came to me. It was given to me and came just like a jerk. (Laughs) I was offered a negative female character for a Zee project, 'Rakhi'. I got amused by it because so far everybody found me too bubbly to be offered a non-positive role, and this made me thrillingly grab it. My role had a negative shade in terms of the deeds of the character which she does for the sake of her brother against everybody else.

Currently, I'm very much packed with 'Tere Liye' on Star Plus, which air at 10 pm primetime. I play the character of 'Lahoni'. The serial is based on a Bengali scene, which makes it an interesting affair for me.

"Jab acting acting naa lage
toh woh acting hai."

Supriya Shukla

Supriya Shukla

What about the roles you have to play off the screen? How far is your family able to manage with your shooting schedules?

I'm a mother of two daughters, the elder one study in class 9th and the younger one, Damya, is in 3rd. My husband, mother-in-law and kids, all are very supportive. They were equally supportive and encouraging when I told them that I want to keep working with ads at least once or twice a month, and even now. However, I don't shoot beyond certain hours and keep my family time very much intact.

What type of roles do you aspire in future? Don't you want to appear in any lead roles?

Look, there's no such role that aspires you basically, it's you who makes your role yourself. 'Just put yourself in it so much that it looks so natural. Jab acting acting naa lage toh woh acting hai.' Always, I've done that, followed that and I'm learning it every day. Any role that comes to me I perform it dedicatedly. The capacity of power to attract audience to the role is the acting and role I believe in.

I've done lead roles throughout my school and college life in dramatics. But now, in films, I never wanted to have any lead roles.

Lastly, who have been your role model and the person who's been behind what you are?

Talking about role-models, not any actor definitely. But I really thank my school principal, Mr MN Kapoor, who appreciated me always; Mrs Mishra, in the co-curricular dept, who always helped and encouraged me, whether it was school or functions at my home. Lastly, my husband and my children, who are really proud of me; this is what makes me what I'm today.

(As told to KARTIKEY AGGARWAL)

(Courtesy: AllAboutDwarka.com)

Edited by manasi_31 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Rinki- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Thanks for sharing :) I loved her in Parineeta! 😳
tfs..................................😊
mishti_17 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Thanks for the article... She was awesome in Parineeta.. And she is doing absolute fab work in Tere Liye..